Information on Protest Sites

Scott

There is a lot already happening already (Sunday evening). The Thailand lives has some updates which can be found starting about here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/696019-thailand-live-sunday-12th-jan-2014/page-3#entry7280172

And of course you can watch it live here:

http://www.blueskychannel.tv/

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BTS and the Airport link should be operating.

If they manage to close those down, then I'd say there is a big problem.

I was told by a friend that, when they had the problems in 2010, the BTS was operating but, bypassed a stop or 2 in the problem area. the station was closed and the train just went right through without stopping.

As I understand it, they do that when the train is full (thank heavens), the next train would probably stop at that stations. Probably :)

Keep in mind the Airport Rail Link closes down at 12:00 midnight. When it drops you in town, the BTS and MRT also close down about that time.

MRT, BTS and Airport Link are extending their closing hours to 2am during the protests.

Keep in mind the Airport Rail Link closes down at 12:00 midnight. When it drops you in town, the BTS and MRT also close down about that time.

MRT, BTS and Airport Link are extending their closing hours to 2am during the protests.

Are you sure about that?

Tomorrow (13 Jan) BTS service from 06:00 - 24.00 hrs as normal

Planning on staying at the Landmark acouple days and then down to Pattaya. Tollway access to and from the Landmark is just a couple blocks down Suk. Would I be correct to assume I should not be bothered too much by the protests in this area or getting in and out of BKK?

Well I think every thing around Sukumvit will be bad,Asoke and now Wiireless road blocked. As you say Landmark an easy walk to express way, but what then if no taxi?? best use sky train then get a taxi further out of the city good luck

• Like 1

The traffic in Asok area is light. No massive traffic jams. Like a sunday morning to be honest. Quite nice if you use a motocycle. Judging by the fencing these chaps have put up, they intend to contain the protest and keep traffic flowing to some degree.

Edited by classic-chassis
  • Like 1

At Asoke they've set up large awnings and erected tents blocking Asoke between Sukhumvit and Petchbury - looks like they are planning to stay a while.

But Sukhumvit Road still open as well as the road up to Rama IV from Asoke Junction.

Nothing in Nana area.

Central World/Gaysorn area blocked back to Petchbury and stage set up under the BTS line. Rama 1 (start of Sukhumvit Road next to Amarin/Holiday inn) closed from Soi Chitom under Chitlom BTS station through to Siam Paragon - but cars being allowed in to go to hotels etc. If you need to get to Holiday Inn, Rennaissance, Intercontinental you'll need to enter from Sukhumvit or Soi Chidlom. For Hyatt and Four Seasons you'll need to come from Rama IV/Lumpini direction.

Soi Chidlom now running with two way traffic (normally it's one way towards Suhumvit) with Motorsai ferrying people in.

BTS running but all trains very full.

• Like 1

Just popped into Royal Police HQ via back entrance (police hospital). Police look more relaxed than 3 weeks ago.

Noisy but peaceful meeting going on on main road between Central World and Gaysorn Plaza. BTS running normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

At Asoke they've set up large awnings and erected tents blocking Asoke between Sukhumvit and Petchbury - looks like they are planning to stay a while.

But Sukhumvit Road still open as well as the road up to Rama IV from Asoke Junction.

Nothing in Nana area.

Central World/Gaysorn area blocked back to Petchbury and stage set up under the BTS line. Rama 1 (start of Sukhumvit Road next to Amarin/Holiday inn) closed from Soi Chitom under Chitlom BTS station through to Siam Paragon - but cars being allowed in to go to hotels etc. If you need to get to Holiday Inn, Rennaissance, Intercontinental you'll need to enter from Sukhumvit or Soi Chidlom. For Hyatt and Four Seasons you'll need to come from Rama IV/Lumpini direction.

Soi Chidlom now running with two way traffic (normally it's one way towards Suhumvit) with Motorsai ferrying people in.

BTS running but all trains very full.

If you're heading to the Hyatt or Four Seasons, I think you'd have to come down Chidlom and then down to Sarasin and then onto Rajadamri.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Victory Monument area is still relatively quiet. A small group just left walking south toward Phetchaburi Road. At the same time, a larger group is coming north to VM.

Its like the last few times, they are being too polite and not really shutting anything down, just making it hard to pass an intersection. Buses, taxis, and motorcycles are still passing through VM. When they march, they are staying to one side and traffic that is there can pass. Doesn't seem like they are really trying to shut down Bangkok. It would be so easy to do so. Richard Barrow even just tweeted that the Lumpini intersection was re-opened after commuters got angry with the protesters.

Since my last message, another group arrived to VM. Its starting to fill up, but only in the stage area and on the monument itself.

Yothi Road from the west of Phayathai (Phahonyothin south of VM) seems to still be open.

Right now a group on motorcycles is passing the airport link going to VM. They are all wearing tan with orange neckerchiefs and flags. Look like boy scouts, 555. An SRT train is passing, so the ones in the back have to wait a little lnger , 555555

Just come form BTS Ratchadamri (where I had a meeting) to my car at MRT Thailand Cultural Centre.

Both systems appear to be running a peak-hour service, BTS busy both ways but not jammed, MRT jammed inbound, got a seat outbound.

Park and Ride at Thailand Cultural Centre overflowing when I came out.

Sunday traffic on Petchaburi and Rama 9 roads.

Convoy of motorcycles just came down suk soi 15 led by a pa truck all flying the Thai flag and turned into soi 13. All the people on bikes appeared to be male and high school students dek wan style