Information on Protest Sites

Scott

Here's a link to the site of protests from yesterday in the downtown area:

RT@RichardBarrow: The latest anti-government rally site is now in the heart of #Bangkok's shopping district. Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=2…

rumour has it swampy closed to- morrow ,,,any info?.

I have heard nothing like that. I am assuming it's just a rumor. That would be a big event.

As far as knowing any particular road closure, I think they are moving around a lot. This evening there was a small group of them at an intersection in Minburi. They were on Suwintawong road at a big intersection with Ram Intra. Traffic was getting through, but it was around rush hour, so some congestion.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suthep and company have repeatedly and publicly said they don't intend to "capture" the airports or BTS/MRT.

That said, in the past couple days, a splinter group of protesters started talking about going after the air traffic control operations.

If they did that, it presumably would have some significant impact on the airports. But it's not clear they're really going to pursue that.

But that's perhaps part of what led to the rumor you're mentioning.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/696547-transport-minister-chadchart-urges-protester-not-to-seize-aerothai/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thanks for the link, however, let's keep this thread to questions and what we know about the protest sites rather than speculation. There are a lot of threads in the news for discussion.

Paholyothin was jammed this morning from Major as far as i could see. Not sure if something was going on at the big junction at the bottom, or if it was just because local schools were open today, (my kid’s is) I turned on to Ratchada and traffic was flowing easily as per the last few mornings.

The screaming rhetoric has started earlier than normal at Asok and there seemed to be more people about today.

Just passed through the Chaeng Wattana site on my motorbike. Very few people there but still down to 1 lane of contra flow and they appear to be inspecting cars whilst motorbikes seem to be moving "fairly" freely. Did my shopping and came home through it again, slow but better than the back routes.

Hi, I was looking to head up to BKK from Hua Hin. I usually arrive in Victory Monument. I'm assuming VM is now closed ... and then I wanted to get a taxi out to Nonthaburi. It's not a necessary trip. But just wondering if it's doable, not to difficult, how bad it really is up there.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I was looking to head up to BKK from Hua Hin. I usually arrive in Victory Monument. I'm assuming VM is now closed ... and then I wanted to get a taxi out to Nonthaburi. It's not a necessary trip. But just wondering if it's doable, not to difficult, how bad it really is up there.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest you take a bus to the South Bus terminal which is on that side of the river, from there easy to get a taxi to Nonthaburi. No need to go into Bkk proper.

Can anyone advise best route to Don Muang coming from the other side of the river? I assume should take 9 and then one of the bridges up north of there rather than Rama 7 which is what i would normally do.

Bump. Anyone? Travelling tomorrow.....

I'm supposed to go to the US Consulate on Friday, 24 January, with my wife and 2 children. I know its still 9 days away, but as of today is it possible to travel by taxi from Sathorn up to the US Consulate on Wireless Road?

As of today - yes. During the day the protest site at Ratjadamri/Rama 1 contracts to just the main junction near Central Word. Into the evening it spreads out along Sukhumvit - but not as far as Wireless Road.

So Wireless Road can be accessed from either end.

But things may be different in a week - for better or worse.

Hi, we are arriving at hua lampung station early Friday morning, aiming to get to Sukumvit soi 3, unico express hotel. My thai wife will be with me, so any tips on route for the taxi that she could give, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Frank

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi, we are arriving at hua lampung station early Friday morning, aiming to get to Sukumvit soi 3, unico express hotel. My thai wife will be with me, so any tips on route for the taxi that she could give, would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Frank Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Unless things change in a couple of days - this should be OK. In the mornings the protests sites are smaller and you can get into Sukhumvit from Wireless Road - so the route around Lumpini Park and down Wireless should be OK.

I'm supposed to go to the US Consulate on Friday, 24 January, with my wife and 2 children. I know its still 9 days away, but as of today is it possible to travel by taxi from Sathorn up to the US Consulate on Wireless Road?

As of today - yes. During the day the protest site at Ratjadamri/Rama 1 contracts to just the main junction near Central Word. Into the evening it spreads out along Sukhumvit - but not as far as Wireless Road.

So Wireless Road can be accessed from either end.

But things may be different in a week - for better or worse.

Thank you very much for the information - I'm in Laos and its not easy to get accurate information from the Thai TV channels that they show here.

LUMPINI PARK UPDATE - 18:00 15.Jan.2013

Just had daily 2 hour walk around Lumpini Park.

The amount of tents has grown dramatically to a few thousand. An almost carnival atmosphere persists inside with Thais offering me free food and drinks. 90% of the cars parked inside Lumpini are from Surat Thani. The others are from Nakhon Si Thammarat. Loads of noise coming from the stage located just outside the park as to be expected. Came across a group of men dressed in black T shirts, black headscarfs and armbands who were openly wearing sidearms. Later, came across a tent being watched over by a few balaclava and bulletproof vest wearing men with a 'no photo' sign attached to it. Walking past a few times and watching the wind blow it open sliughtly, looks like an armoury in there.

They are continuing to try to block Rama 4 Roadat the junction with North Sathorn Road, but I witnessed cars stopping and drivers pushing aside sandbags and continuing. Also saw a few pickups just driving over the extremely low level 'block' (1 sandbag).

Can anyone advise best route to Don Muang coming from the other side of the river? I assume should take 9 and then one of the bridges up north of there rather than Rama 7 which is what i would normally do.

You could come over the river at Pak Kret then turn left up Tiwanon. You turn right onto Si Saman and this takes you up to Viphavadi-Rangsit close to Don Muang. Rode it on Monday to get round the crowds, not too bad.

Dunno about earlier in the afternoon, but by 6 pm tonight, there was still a quite large crowd at the Asoke intersection, with all traffic blocked in both directions on Asoke Rd above Sukhumvit Rd. And outbound through traffic on Sukhumvit remained blocked right at the Terminal 21 mall.

Asoke above Sukhumvit Sukhumvit in front of Terminal 21

post-58284-0-97672300-1389794491_thumb.j post-58284-0-37661100-1389794503_thumb.j

You could come over the river at Pak Kret then turn left up Tiwanon. You turn right onto Si Saman and this takes you up to Viphavadi-Rangsit close to Don Muang. Rode it on Monday to get round the crowds, not too bad.

Thanks!

Does anyone know whether Saphan Kwai area (Big C etc etc) is slow, or blocked? I need to go there by taxi from Vipavadee 16, to collect an EMS package.

I know that Lad Prao is blocked. I don't know if the main Vipavadee Rangsit Road (thai airways, Thai rath) is also blocked or jammed.

I would normally go via soi 3 and the traffic office back entrance, which normally avoids LP and Chatuchak anyway.

Thanks

Eddy

I can't say for sure, but I think it will be fine. In VM, only the southeast section is really closed all the time. Most of the time throughout the days when the protesters are there en masse, there are at least motorcycles, buses and taxis getting through. Occasionally, there is a large group of people that blocks the entire circle or goes up Phaholyothin towards Soi 1, but they usually disperse to somewhere else before too long. I think in between there and Lad Prao, should be ok, in fact there might be less traffic than usual. But this is just what I can surmise from what I see out my window. I'm only saying it to give you a little bit of information because there are no other replies yet.

Herewith some scenes from Silom at around 2.15pm today:

CIMG 3851

Silom from bridge between BTS and Silom Complex looking towards Lumpinee Intersection

with a passing "protest" march. Very noisy from whistles

CIMG 3852

Edit: images added

post-36039-0-45649800-1389862854_thumb.j

post-36039-0-93418900-1389862901_thumb.j

Edited by samtam

Ploenchit with Central Department Store on the left at around 3 pm

CIMG3853

where the yellow umbrella is located there is a very very loud blaring of music

CIMG3855

Intersection of Chitlom/Ploenchit/Langsuan from Chitlom BTS:

black vehicle heading towards Langsuan, grey/beige vehicle towards Ploenchit...Ratchaprasong, yellow taxi other way along Ploenchit. CIMG3854

At intersection of Wittayu/Ploenchit there is a Red Cross station (outside Wave Place, the Home Pro Building), with army "pillbox" stationed on the walkway overhead, (as earlier reported). Seems a little incongruous, as there appear to be no other army units in the vicinity.

Given open roads Central Food Hall are still delivering. Store was quiet, but plenty of stock. Situation may change if traffic worsens.

post-36039-0-19290700-1389863173_thumb.j

post-36039-0-03816100-1389863229_thumb.j

post-36039-0-66615100-1389863265_thumb.j

Edited by samtam

Dunno about earlier in the afternoon, but by 6 pm tonight, there was still a quite large crowd at the Asoke intersection, with all traffic blocked in both directions on Asoke Rd above Sukhumvit Rd. And outbound through traffic on Sukhumvit remained blocked right at the Terminal 21 mall.

Asoke above Sukhumvit Sukhumvit in front of Terminal 21

attachicon.gif2014-01-15 18.18.29.jpg attachicon.gif2014-01-15 18.15.15.jpg

No sign of any fall-off with the crowd tonight at the Asoke intersection, shortly after 6 pm.

post-58284-0-08886000-1389875973_thumb.j

Through traffic along Sukhumvit still mostly blocked off at Terminal 21. View is under the Asoke BTS station looking outbound.

post-58284-0-70744600-1389876056_thumb.j

Shortly before 6 pm, the protesters did something different, at least for this area. A group of them marched down Suk Road from Asoke heading for Nana and beyond. And unlike Monday, this time, the marchers occupied all lanes of traffic on that side of the road.

post-58284-0-37766800-1389876167_thumb.j

I am in a hotel outside BKK. it's filled with tourists that have moved from their hotel in BKK out here (near the city line station). I was told by another guest that, if a foreigner is caught participating in the protests, they will be arrested. He cautioned about buying the brick a brack being sold by the sidewalk venders (flags, arm bands, whistles, shirts, etc) as that might be interpreted as a sign of support and, certainly don't buy t and wear it or display it openly. Can anyone confirm this?

I am in a hotel outside BKK. it's filled with tourists that have moved from their hotel in BKK out here (near the city line station). I was told by another guest that, if a foreigner is caught participating in the protests, they will be arrested. He cautioned about buying the brick a brack being sold by the sidewalk venders (flags, arm bands, whistles, shirts, etc) as that might be interpreted as a sign of support and, certainly don't buy t and wear it or display it openly. Can anyone confirm this?

I was on Silom yesterday afternoon and saw a lot of stuff for sale including "shut down Bangkok" t-shirts. I would be a fun souvener to have but, not woth a hastle with the police. I am sure the police are wound up right now and, that's a bee's nest I would not want to put a stick into.

cheers