Information on Protest Sites

Scott

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in a hotel outside BKK. it's filled with tourists that have moved from their hotel in BKK out here (near the city line station). I was told by another guest that, if a foreigner is caught participating in the protests, they will be arrested. He cautioned about buying the brick a brack being sold by the sidewalk venders (flags, arm bands, whistles, shirts, etc) as that might be interpreted as a sign of support and, certainly don't buy t and wear it or display it openly. Can anyone confirm this?

I was on Silom yesterday afternoon and saw a lot of stuff for sale including "shut down Bangkok" t-shirts. I would be a fun souvener to have but, not woth a hastle with the police. I am sure the police are wound up right now and, that's a bee's nest I would not want to put a stick into.

cheers

There's been some reports that foreigners who participate in the anti-government demonstrations could face deportation. Dunno if that's true or not, as I've seen various farangs doing so thus far. Of course, some police who cared about the issue would have to notice and decide to do something about it.

On the other hand, buying a T-shirt as a souvenir should not be anything to cause any problem. But, as a foreigner, I don't think I'd be inclined to be wearing such anti-government attire around Thailand, regardless of my personal political views. Doing so would seem to be just asking for trouble in who knows what form.

• Like 1

Great thread. Can anyone tell me the state of affairs on the Rajdamri Rd? I need to get to the VFS place at Regent House next week.

Thanks

This week Rajdamri is OK. Access from Ploenchit/Rama 1 is restricted but possible until about 4:00 pm when the protest site spreads out for the evening.

Difficult to predict next week - but the trend is that the daytime protest is getting smaller each day but the night-time 'event' is getting bigger;.

BTS may be the best way to get there?

This topic is for information on the protest sites. There would be no problem in purchasing paraphernalia associated with the shutdown, but it would be wise to not display them in the country. You can be deported for participating in the demonstrations. Here's a post: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697213-thailand-live-friday-17-jan-2014/?p=7302845

Now please stay on topic and keep other questions to the main forum.

• Like 1

I am in a hotel outside BKK. it's filled with tourists that have moved from their hotel in BKK out here (near the city line station). I was told by another guest that, if a foreigner is caught participating in the protests, they will be arrested. He cautioned about buying the brick a brack being sold by the sidewalk venders (flags, arm bands, whistles, shirts, etc) as that might be interpreted as a sign of support and, certainly don't buy t and wear it or display it openly. Can anyone confirm this?

I was on Silom yesterday afternoon and saw a lot of stuff for sale including "shut down Bangkok" t-shirts. I would be a fun souvener to have but, not woth a hastle with the police. I am sure the police are wound up right now and, that's a bee's nest I would not want to put a stick into.

cheers

There's been some reports that foreigners who participate in the anti-government demonstrations could face deportation. Dunno if that's true or not, as I've seen various farangs doing so thus far. Of course, some police who cared about the issue would have to notice and decide to do something about it.

On the other hand, buying a T-shirt as a souvenir should not be anything to cause any problem. But, as a foreigner, I don't think I'd be inclined to be wearing such anti-government attire around Thailand, regardless of my personal political views. Doing so would seem to be just asking for trouble in who knows what form.

you are well advised to stay out of this. The thread of deportation/prosecution is real and has been published here in the news.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Heavy traffic, (as if it were a normal Friday), on Sathorn Road, north and south, possibly as a result of the planned PRDC march from Lumpini this morning, (at around 10 am). Travelled to Wittayu, which was quick and less congested, then right on to Pleonchit, which was empty. Returned from Ploenchit, via Langsuan, then left on Sarasin, and right again onto Wittayu and Sathorn. Only partial road closures, (as in left hand lane). Generally traffic in the area described is flowing quite freely. Shopped at Central in Chitlom, and delivery service from them later today...I hope.

Army bunker on top of Wittayu/Ploenchit interesction which was there yesterday, has now gone.

Great thread. Can anyone tell me the state of affairs on the Rajdamri Rd? I need to get to the VFS place at Regent House next week.

Thanks

This week Rajdamri is OK. Access from Ploenchit/Rama 1 is restricted but possible until about 4:00 pm when the protest site spreads out for the evening.

Difficult to predict next week - but the trend is that the daytime protest is getting smaller each day but the night-time 'event' is getting bigger;.

BTS may be the best way to get there?

Thanks very much. Lets see what happens next week.

An off-topic post has been removed. Please stay on topic. Commentary on the political situation is not welcome on this thread. There are many, many other threads where commentary is appropriate. Not here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

An off-topic post has been removed. Please stay on topic. Commentary on the political situation is not welcome on this thread. There are many, many other threads where commentary is appropriate. Not here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

I want to travel down soi 22 from sukhumvit to Rama 4 then head east to the light at telco and right to go so south and get on the motorway east to chonburi...has anyone seen trouble in that area that would cause delays? Plan to leave in 30 min...thx

I couldn't get into my same photo-taking position on the Asoke BTS sky walkway tonight, because it looks like the protesters have decided to close off the entire skywalk area crossing over Asoke Rd, just behind the stages for the protest there--at least during the evening hours. Presumably a response to the bomb attack on Suthep's march today.

But from all appearances, there looked and sounded to be at least as many people out at Asoke tonight as there were the past couple weekdays, this being a Friday night and all.

I wonder if the other protest sites were equally busy at about 6:30 p.m. on this Friday night???

PS - Though traffic on Suk Road at Asoke still blocked in both directions, though some traffic is arriving via side sois.

post-58284-0-11081300-1389963608_thumb.j post-58284-0-35297100-1389963613_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I just came from Central World where there fewer than before and the stage at Ploenchit road (opposite Central Chidlom) has been removed. So traffic along Ploenchit and up Langsuan now flowing free. Partly restricted into Rama1 and up to Rajdamri. When I got to Asoke there were more people than earlier in the week - with crowds going back up Sukhumvit passef Terminal 21. Suthep's has stopped shouting now and the band is on stage. Think they are concentrating on fewer main sites for security reasons.

Blocked Skywalk now makes it difficult to bypass the site on foot.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just want to let you know what happend to me on Tuesday night:

On Tuesday night I drove back from Goethe Institut Sathon, with my scooter. I had to use a few detours and reached a road block next to Lumpini park. Everone past through a narrow gate block. They intended to stop me, but I went quickly through with other motorbikes. Suddenly a group of 5 -6 motorcycles from the protesters followed me and told me to stop immediately. When I looked at them and asked why, they disappeared. This happend two times that evening.
Now I realised, it must be my red Yamaha jacket which irritated them ;-) And by night they did not see that I'm a farang

RT@RichardBarrow: 6:03pn - RT @ChinLucymchin: No traffic allowed from Phrom pong past soi 20 so now everything turning into soi 20. V congested.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697213-thailand-live-friday-17-jan-2014/?p=7305603

Thanks for the update. In the end I went as planned..bit congested on 22 and Rama 4 but then open shot to the expressway and the bang na trat was open all the way to pattaya...traffic heading into bkk was massive and backed up, would have guessed the opposite but hey I'll take it

I have Australian friends heading to BKK next Wednesday They are booked for 2 nights at TAI-PAN HOTEL BANGKOK
25 Sukhumvit Soi 23, Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok

Does anyone know if this is in protest areas?

Should they still stay in BKK or go straight to Suphan Buri?

I send good wishes to all Thais. Please keep it peacefull !!!

I have Australian friends heading to BKK next Wednesday They are booked for 2 nights at TAI-PAN HOTEL BANGKOK

That is quite near, a few hundred meters, to the Asoke/Suk intersection where there are demonstrators. See above posts for Asoke. Google Maps

I would like to go to mass at the Church of the Holy Redeemer on soi ruam rudi tomorrow, Sunday. The above posts seem to suggest that Ploenchit/Chitlom is now open, but my wife says that Thai TV says they are closed again. I live between victory Monument and Din Daeng so could use Skytrain or taxi. Can anyone advise me as to whether this journey is doable?

Last I checked, the Ploenchit and Sukhumvit intersection is clear.

But the Chidlom and Sukhumvit intersection near CentralWorld is not.

It's no problem to take Skytrain to Ploenchit station and then walk onward to Soi Ruamrudee.

A taxi trip probably could be done, but it would depend on the route taken.

This is quite useful! Continually updated with some information in English, giving an estimate level of violence around protest sites.

The Estimation is ranked into 4 levels respectively:
Level 1: Low (score 0.00 – 0.99)
Level 2: Medium and should be monitored (score 1.00 – 1.99)
Level 3: High and should be closely monitored (score 2.00 – 2.99)
Level 4: Critical (3.00 and above)

www.thaiviolencewatch.com

Edited by Morakot

I would like to go to mass at the Church of the Holy Redeemer on soi ruam rudi tomorrow, Sunday. The above posts seem to suggest that Ploenchit/Chitlom is now open, but my wife says that Thai TV says they are closed again. I live between victory Monument and Din Daeng so could use Skytrain or taxi. Can anyone advise me as to whether this journey is doable?

My recommendation would be same as TallGuy, BTS to Ploen Chit, then take a scooter taxi to the church. I've done it many times, though not in the last few months. Usually walk back to the BTS to "digest" what I just learned.

I wouldn't recommend driving, because traffic closures may change while you're in church and your car may get stuck in the parking lot, or you may get stuck on a road somewhere if they decide to throw a parade from one site to another.

You shouldn't have any safety problems unless you flip off the protesters. But you probably wouldn't be going to church if you were in the habit of giving strangers the finger, would you?

Safe trip! Tell God that impulse says Hi!. He knows my user ID.

Edited by impulse

That is quite near, a few hundred meters, to the Asoke/Suk intersection where there are demonstrators. See above posts for Asoke. Google Maps

Yes - it's very close to the main site that runs up Soi 21. This hotel is between Soi 21 and 23. Access should be possible from 23 but it will be noisy at night.

Yes - it's very close to the main site that runs up Soi 21. This hotel is between Soi 21 and 23. Access should be possible from 23 but it will be noisy at night.

Keep in mind that Soi Cowboy runs between Soi 21 and Soi 23 right at the Asoke site. And it don't close down for nothin' or nobody. It may get crowded, and traffic may be a zoo, but the area will be accessible.

Just walkwd past Asoke....stage is there but no people at all.

Been that way all week after Monday. Then they start to gather in the late afternoon.

Are the tents still set up on Sukhumvit?

Yeah still set up....more tents today I noticed.

The crowd is starting to get busy as well....oh and I noticed a couple of white faces in the tshirts chatting with organisers behind the stage.

What's that all about then???