Information on Protest Sites

Scott

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the goal was to cause gridlock? I am watching the protesters come from the west along Sri Ayuthaya Road across the Phayathai intersection. They are being so polite, using only one traffic direction and using the overpass! They aren't blocking anything as traffic is moving in both directions on the other side. They are moving towards Pratunam right now. Its a big glob, they paused for a bit to consolidate the line (making it smaller even, so nice!).

People are gathering in Victory Monument now. The traffic looks a bit gridlocked, but I can't tell exactly what's going on just yet. The stage is just out of my view, I thought there were still two lanes open beside it, but maybe that's changed. Anyway, I think not being in a car around here is the way to go.

edit: so after they passed on Sri Ayuthaya, cars were entering the flyover as usual bc they couldn't see the protesters ahead. There is a little back now, but it won't last.

At VM, the northbound traffic is light and looks ok. Coming southbound, getting towards Din Daeng is very slow. Doesn't really look like cars can pass south, but I am not 100% sure. According to Richard Barrow, there is one lane open. That might be the southbound one. In any case, avoid if you can!

Edited by taony

Another smaller, but really noisy, group moving north now under the BTS Phayathai station. People coming out and cheering them on, taking photos.

edit: they are still coming, its really stretched out and the traffic is mixing in with them.

Edited by taony

So Asok is quiet for now?

Not really.. Looks to be building up...

https://twitter.com/tulsathit/status/414618178287714304

Thanks for the tweet.

Cheers.

BTW, what is the best twitter feed to keep up with the roving protests?

All relative really, but Tulsathit generally gives a good account, Richard Barrow also gives a fair amount of info along with various retweets...

So Asok is quiet for now?

Asoke is currently very noisy. There weren't a lot of people when I looked about an hour ago. Sounds to have built up a bit more now. The whole road is closed off, but Sukhumvit traffic looks very light, and there is no traffic coming past Queen Sirikit.

Given the stage set up pretty much blocking the road just north of Asoke junction, it looks like they're in for the long haul. With more groups converging from the north and east on foot.

Music playing and has the feel of a street festival. For now.

Edited by impulse

Just returned from Asok about half an hour ago. It was a zoo. Shoulder to shoulder on the BTS flyover and people coming from the East with flag waving trucks. Be sure to bring your earplugs if you head that direction. The whistles are extremely loud.

It was quiet after 8. The stage was in the southeast corner, maybe they were just showing people at the stage and it looked filled. But i can see it from my window and cars were moving.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

This is being reported in the Live Updates:

The Traffic police has reported that a group of demonstrators are heading out of Ratchadamnoen Avenue towards the DSI on Chaeng Watthana Road.

To avoid traffic obstructions, motorists are advised to stay clear of Yommarat Intersection, Phetchaburi Road, Ratchaprarop Road, Din Deang Road, Vibhavadi Rangsit Road and Chaeng Watthana Road.

Traffic remains cordoned off at Nang Lerng intersection, causing heavy traffic for those exiting the tollway from Yommarat exit.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691212-thailand-live-monday-23-dec-2013/?p=7195529