Information on Protest Sites

Scott

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning on staying at the Landmark acouple days and then down to Pattaya. Tollway access to and from the Landmark is just a couple blocks down Suk. Would I be correct to assume I should not be bothered too much by the protests in this area or getting in and out of BKK?

You shouldn't have any problems.

It's not a protest area.

The worst you might have could be traffic jams but everything you need is in very easy walking distance.

And again, don't see any probs getting in and out of BKK and down to Pattaya.

Tomorrow (Friday Dec 27th) I'll be coming into Bangkok from Pattaya, probably arriving in Bangkok early afternoon. I'll be travelling by bus and intend to change to the SkyTrain at Udom Suk. (I'm told this is possible now - I've never done it that way before.) From Udom Suk I'll be heading to Victory Monument.

Then late afternoon the same day I'm planning to get the airport rail link from Phayathai to Suvarnabhumi. And catch the bus from Suvarnabhumi back to Pattaya.

I'd be very grateful if anyone in Bangkok can advise whether they foresee any problems with this plan.

Thanks for your help.

Have there been any announcements for "gatherings" over the weekend?

I'm hoping everyone is doing some backing off and soul searching after the tragedy yesterday. I've got guests from out of town and don't want to risk getting caught up in anything if/when we get back from a trip to Jomtien.

If it's forecasted bad in BKK, we may just stay down there until their flight late next week.

To be fair, Bangkok's a pretty large area. Quite easy to navigate around any issues.

Just steer clear of the current base - Democracy Monument - and you should be ok.

If you have access to twitter, start following some of the aforementioned people and you'll get a pretty up to date picture.

• Like 1

Will the shutdown of Bangkok affect flights out of Swampy? My wife and I are booked on a flight on the 26th.Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

26th of when?

January.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would like to take my family to paragon/sukhumvit today from Rangsit. Travelling in car via Kanchanphisek tollway to victory monument, then onto paragon via phaya Thai. Does anyone know if my route will hit protest sites/road blockings? Thanks

I would like to take my family to paragon/sukhumvit today from Rangsit. Travelling in car via Kanchanphisek tollway to victory monument, then onto paragon via phaya Thai. Does anyone know if my route will hit protest sites/road blockings? Thanks

Democracy Monument is the only site that is active... Ratchadamnoen Avenue area...

retsdon, they said no, but if protests progress they can do it, as they did in 2008.

20 major roads blocked and no public transport means traffic chaos in the whole bkk

Well, I suppose if you can't get to or from an airport it's effectively shut anyway. I somehow knew this was coming. I"m supposed to be flying in on the 9th.

I fly out on the fifth and back on 11th. As long as i can leave I'm happy, haha.

Happy to say, just watched the fireworks at central world and nothing untoward seems to have happened. Even after the second round of fireworks at 12:30.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taony

I saw some demonstration video on local TV. Is there anything major happening right now that would screw up getting a taxi from Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi?

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

I saw some demonstration video on local TV. Is there anything major happening right now that would screw up getting a taxi from Sukhumvit to Suvarnabhumi?

Sent from the Back 'o Bennachie with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

Nope they've got an overture planned for Sunday reaching the crescendo 8 days later on the 13th commonly referred to as Operation Bangkok Shutdown.

Otherwise it will be a bit of huff and puff until then. Rhetoric and shaking fists fee-fi-fo-fum sort of stuff ;)