Information on Protest Sites

Scott

Arrive in BKK 9th then was planing to leave on 13th for Hua hin should i leave early morning on the 13th or leave on the 12th wai.gif

Probably depends where in BKK you'll be staying? Is it within the 20 areas mentioned by the PDRC? Close proximity to the expressway?

If not, I'd leave before it kicks off on Monday morning, early breakfast and out by 9am, Rama 2 heading west will be generally lighter than in the opposite direction. That should have you down in Hua Hin by lunch time.

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrive in BKK 9th then was planing to leave on 13th for Hua hin should i leave early morning on the 13th or leave on the 12th wai.gif

Make your plans as if there will be no problems, then ask again on the 12th.

It's that dynamic and unpredictable.

I'd keep a close eye on the situation, but I would plan on being out of Bangkok on the 12th. It's difficult to know if there will be a preemptive strike, either by another faction, or the police or the military.

Do you think the protests will affect travel between the two Bangkok airports? I will arrive on Jan 14 at 1am at Suvarnabhumi airport and fly out of Don Mueang airport at 6:40am. I was planning on taking a taxi since the shuttle doesn't run at night.

If your schedule on that night is so critical, I'd suggest lining up an AOT (Airports of Thailand) limo to take you to DM. If you can call a Camry sized car a limo.

There's a very good chance a normal taxi would be fine, but why risk it if that puts your holiday at risk.

And, as Scott recommends, keep an eye on the situation.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Anybody know the situation now and affected locations? I have to drive across Bkk to Salaya. Would normally take the expressway to Yammorat and then the Rama 8 bridge but if that area is a mess would reroute.

Thanx

Just a quick question. I just wanna quickly get myself a multiple re-entry visa before the real protest starts

Can you only get it in Chaengwattana, or at that new place in Imperial World LadPrao? Or can you also get it at your local immigration office...

Anyway is the Government complex in Chaengwattana still open???

Answer me quickly if you can...

Thank you in advance...

Edited by MaxLee

Just a quick question. I just wanna quickly get myself a multiple re-entry visa before the real protest starts

Can you only get it in Chaengwattana, or at that new place in Imperial World LadPrao? Or can you also get it at your local immigration office...

Anyway is the Government complex in Chaengwattana still open???

Answer me quickly if you can...

Thank you in advance...

Visa or permit? If permit can be done at Swampy... If visa.. Sorry, no idea...

CW is open...

Edited by GrantSmith

13 January 2014 Protest sites as per Bangkok Post.

1) Uruphong
2) Charoenpol
3) Hua Lamphong
4) Bang Rak
5) Silom
6) Sam Yan
7) Phaya Thai
8) Ratchathewi
9) The Victory Monument
10) Siam Square
11) Lat Phrao five-way intersection
12) Din Daeng
14) Ratchaprasong
15) Lumpini
16) Klong Toey
17) Asok
18) Ratchadamnoen
19) Petchaburi
20) Yaowarat
tKwd1ky.gif

I live and work in downtown BKK and have seen very little effect on daily activities.

Some preparations are (wisely) being made to protect private property, and I noticed some local stores have stocked up on bottled water.

I'm not forecasting what's going to happen later today, much less on Jan 13. But life's pretty much normal around Asok and Khlong Toei.

the picture shows not 20 but only 17 zones.

the new master plan is 16 roads blocked, 7 camps:

"Seven areas in bkk Shutdown are: 1.Lumpini 2.Asoke-Sukumvit 3.Ratchaprasong 4.Pathumwan 5.Victory Monument 6.Ladprao 7.ChangWattana

18 roads directly affected by Bangkok shutdown: 1.Sukumvit 2.Rama I 3. Rama IV 4. Srilom 5. Ratchadamri 6. Ratchaprasob 7.Phyathai 8. Phholyothin 9. Asoke 10.Ratchadapisek 11.Ratchavithi 12.Din Daeng 13. Prachasongkhro 14. Viphavadee Rangsit 15. Lad Prao 16. Chang Wattana @Ch 3"

situation changes daily..

the protest would last at least 5 days

Edited by londonthai

Any suggestions to get from suvarnabhumi to soi 4 sukhumvit on the night of monday 13th. The hotel is still saying they will pick me up at this stage. You think train is a better option? Soi 4 is only just off the motorway

I am meeting friends for a wedding and can't change plans

If the hotel is picking you up, there should be no problem. Make sure they have (or you have) a contact number and if they can't get you there, then probably the Airport Link would be an option. I hope your arriving before the Airport Link closes.

Keep in mind the Airport Rail Link closes down at 12:00 midnight. When it drops you in town, the BTS and MRT also close down about that time. Count on an hour to get through customs, get luggage and get down to the train. You may be pleasantly surprised, but maybe not.

As Scott said, the hotel van is looking like your best bet. But they may be blocked in or out of the Soi 4 area by traffic- not their fault.

Contingencies: 1) Hotel Van 2) AOT Limo 3) Airport Rail 4) Public Taxi 5) Ask your friends to send a car for you- it's easy for them to arrange one with a driver in advance 6) Hang out around the parking lot and bum a ride with strangers (don't discount it- I've given plenty of people a free lift if they're going close to my destination) 7) Catch a taxi at the departures floor who has just dropped off a passenger- be prepared to be hindered by police- it's not legal but lots of people do it 8) Last resort: Stand around the airport lobby looking lost and wait for a tout to offer you a black market taxi- but ONLY as a last resort.

Enjoy the wedding!

Edited by impulse

7) Catch a taxi at the departures floor who has just dropped off a passenger- be prepared to be hindered by police- it's not legal but lots of people do it

... and a great ruse it was to ... thumbsup.gif

But, apparently, according to the reports in the Swampy Airport Forum, this is no longer possible due to the erection of barricades and security guards (who were not erected) preventing the flow out of the airport and into the Taxis on the Departures Level ... dry.png

I have to meet a friend in BKK Thursday. He is flying in to finalize his divorce and going to the Amphur that's near the embassies (I can't recall the name, Bangrak?). he wants to stay in a hotel near near Sukhumvit Soi 4 (Nana BTS station). what's the situation like inthat area? ANy idea if that Amphur will even be open? I plan to drive from Phetchabun to BKK Wednesday and wonder if that's not a good idea. Traffic is bad enough in that area on a good day. Are there any problems with the BTS or Airport link?

ANy updates or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have to meet a friend in BKK Thursday. He is flying in to finalize his divorce and going to the Amphur that's near the embassies (I can't recall the name, Bangrak?). he wants to stay in a hotel near near Sukhumvit Soi 4 (Nana BTS station). what's the situation like inthat area? ANy idea if that Amphur will even be open? I plan to drive from Phetchabun to BKK Wednesday and wonder if that's not a good idea. Traffic is bad enough in that area on a good day. Are there any problems with the BTS or Airport link?

ANy updates or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Today, fine. Ask back again after Monday when the shutdown is scheduled to start. A few of the main protest sites have the Nana area bracketed so the answer may be different regarding traffic.

Click the link in android, opens google maps app, then just a map of where I am. Scroll to Bangkok, no place markers on the map. Any hints how to open?

The BTS and the Airport link should be operating.

If they manage to close those down, then I'd say there is a big problem.

I was told by a friend that, when they had the problems in 2010, the BTS was operating but, bypassed a stop or 2 in the problem area. the station was closed and the train just went right through without stopping.

Have an appointment Monday between Asok and Nana BTS stations. Will report as I go there. Any guess which stop will be best and why?

I suspect the problem at Asoke Station will be getting back on the train since there were huge lines there during the last city wide demonstrations. Getting off there should be eazy peazy.

Still, Nana's probably your best bet. Asoke is the interchange station with the Sukhumvit MRT station, and is subject to much larger crowds and lines. Also, Nana is between the Asoke rally point and the Royal Thai Police building rally point, while Asoke station is right at the Asoke rally point.

You can walk from Nana to Asoke/Sukhumvit in about 5 minutes, maybe 15 minutes if it's jammed with street vendors (or 3 minutes if you can walk in the middle of the street with traffic stopped).

If your point of origin is closer to an MRT line than the BTS, the MRT Sukhumvit station is your best bet.
Edited by impulse