Information on Protest Sites

Scott

Chaeng Wattana - 22/04 - Avoid

I have just come back from Laksi and there were 100s of riot police moving in on the site. At the same time I noticed buses full of PDRC at the site and the usual convoys of pickup trucks continually arriving. I also noticed a couple of empty army trucks there too.

Might well end up like last time but even so it will make sense to avoid the area today.

Should chaeng wattana still be avoided? I should be arriving in a couple days to go to the government complex.

Also I posted this elsewhere but maybe this is a better place for it. Anyone know if the department of consular affairs is open as normal?

Thanks

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to big C imperial world today to snout about because need to extend visa before 15th May.

Man there's loads of burmeese. Laos and Cambodia n's. Doing there visas to.

From what I gather it's row D for extension.

Didn't get the opening times has it was very busy.

Anyone been recently.

Also to extend my 60 day visa. I believe it's 1.900 baht for 14 days and passport.

Pics needed ???

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just spent 75 minutes northbound on Phaholyothin going 200m.

There appears to be a fire at or near the criminal courts at Ratchada.

This was after a massive storm so probably lightning

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are a lot of people entering Ratchadamnern Nok behind government house right now. That area is already a protest zone, but as they make there way there, traffic in the area is affected.

We've been told by our colleagues there to cancel our visit to Rama IV next week - they are anticipating a demonstration site close to their office, near Tesco, near the Klong Toey Port Offices.

I don't know if they are just being over-cautious, or stalling, or if there is anything specific happening in that area - would appreciate any confirmation

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

We've been told by our colleagues there to cancel our visit to Rama IV next week - they are anticipating a demonstration site close to their office, near Tesco, near the Klong Toey Port Offices.

I don't know if they are just being over-cautious, or stalling, or if there is anything specific happening in that area - would appreciate any confirmation

SC

I am not sure where the Port Offices are, but if you mean the big Tesco opposite Big C extra, then yeah. I had a meeting near Big C this afternoon and the road going from Big C towards Sukhumvit was blocked by the protesters. They were protesting just outside the lobby of a big building just down the road from there.

The traffic was a nightmare. I had to get out of the cab and walk a few blocks, and it was hot as hell!

Hope that helps!

TC

• Like 1

There is a mega traffic jam developing on the tollways out of BKK ( as of 9.00pm Friday). The police have set up checkpoints and traffic is gridlocked. Don't know why. Access into the airport is not affected, only vehicles coming into the city.

I need to go to fortune tower 1 ratchadaphisek rd on Monday from Pattaya. Any suggestion or cautions? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No issues there. You can take the MRT to Praram 9 station and just go up the stairs.

The soldiers are controlling the Bang Na intersection, but it seems they are mostly accomplishing a traffic jam.

Can anyone post any pictures... I wanna know which areas of Bangna do you mean around Central Bangna? Because I usually use Bangna Trad to go home from work.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by MaxLee

There were huge tail-backs going into BKK on Rama II because of the military. I was outbound at about 6:00 a.m. and would estimate it was about 8 -10 km long and completely stopped going into BKK.

Outbound, no problem.

Chaeng Wattana Update

I haven't posted one in a long time as things just didn't change for Chaeng Wattana or for Thailand. Today we have a new chapter in Thai history but we don't have any change on Chaeng Wattana. Massive tailbacks from Central to the site from Pak Kret but fairly light from Laksi. Nothing unusual at all....no change....sadly!

Chaeng Wattana Update

Just returned from Laksi. The army (obviously) has taken control of the site and I have seen the first signs of them dismantling it as I drove past at 08:15. Still very heavy traffic from Pak Kret and moderate traffic from Laksi.

Avoid Major Ratchayothin. At 11 a.m. there was a crowd outside the shopping center with a very large police van and smaller police vehicles. Just passed it half an hour ago and there were three military trucks and the soldiers were lined up in formation for dispersing crowds. There is a protest crowd chanting, and what seems to be some media coverage.

I'm writing this to let people know about the traffic situation because there is a bad tailback for all roads in both directions of Thanon Phahonyothin from Major. The cars are not moving, and the traffic lights at the junction itself appear to be manually controlled.

• Like 1