Thai Watsadu hardware diy

Beardog

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this going up a few weeks ago so glad to hear they are now open. Don't understand all e HomePro slagging is about...I've always found them pleasant, with some very helpful about their products and others polite but clueless. Also many represent specific brands or products so unless you are interested in their product/brand they may ignore you.

As to product warranties, they are provided by the manufacturers so have nothing to do with the store/distributor. Maybe you are referring to return policies? Anyway, will swing by and check it out soon...Wasuda, HomeWorks, HomePro, Santi and all the smaller Thai shops...put it all together and you almost have a Loews Homecenter :)

Made the effort to visit a Thai Watsadu in Rayong about a month ago, because everyone was bragging that it was so good, but I guess that was the first and the last time.

Most expensive store I have visited since long.

What I bought that particular day.

A Sanki 7' ladder for 1880 Baht at Hardware-house - Watsadu same ladder 2730 Baht

A Mitsubishi 85 Watt automatic pump for 3780 Baht at Global House _ Watsadu same pump 4350 Baht

A Luckystar 130 Watt automatic pump for 1750 Baht at Global House - Watsadu same pump 3300 Baht

Edited by PeterSmiles

Made the effort to visit a Thai Watsadu in Rayong about a month ago, because everyone was bragging that it was so good, but I guess that was the first and the last time.

A Sanki 7' ladder for 1880 Baht at Hardware-house - Watsadu same ladder 2730 Baht

A Mitsubishi 85 Watt automatic pump for 3780 Baht at Global House _ Watsadu same pump 4350 Baht

A Luckystar 130 Watt automatic pump for 1750 Baht at Global House - Watsadu same pump 3300 Baht

Interesting...Wasuda fans care to comment?

Saw this going up a few weeks ago so glad to hear they are now open. Don't understand all e HomePro slagging is about...I've always found them pleasant, with some very helpful about their products and others polite but clueless. Also many represent specific brands or products so unless you are interested in their product/brand they may ignore you.

As to product warranties, they are provided by the manufacturers so have nothing to do with the store/distributor. Maybe you are referring to return policies? Anyway, will swing by and check it out soon...Wasuda, HomeWorks, HomePro, Santi and all the smaller Thai shops...put it all together and you almost have a Loews Homecenter smile.png

I think those who are use to places like Loews find the stores here frustrating. At Loews, normally, the sales staff are extremely knowledgeable within their area of expertise. You can explain a problem and they'll recommend a solution. No where near that here. Plus, the stores here normally rent out space to manufacturers to sell their products. So the sales pitch is pretty strong, and the selection is dodgy. And if you're looking for a specific thing, good luck finding it. The selection is quite small for true hardware stuff. Normally, I end up at some other small Thai store that specializes in that type of stuff. Frustrating.

The return policy is also frustrating. At Loews, you can walk in without a sales receipt and a used item and still get a store credit. Never, ever happen here.

• Like 2

I've found prices vary widely among the various stores. Shopping is a must, unfortunately.

I was there yesterday just looking. I didn't pay any attention to the prices. Will have to do so next time. For serious shopping, I think Global House is still the place. Though I've read about Hardware House down in Rayong getting good reviews. But haven't been yet.

Beardog, you lucky dog, you! A manager from the US? The Thai Watsadu in Phitsanulok is big and beautiful, but every farang hates the place, we all much prefer Global House. I think it is a case of poor management at our local TW. They often have the best price, but they never keep their promises, They are constantly out of stock, require a special order to get the thing, promise in two weeks, but then it takes a month or more. Very frustrating for somebody on a building schedule. But the staff is VERY polite and friendly, it's just that you can't believe anything.

That said, we are VERY LUCKY that these Big Boxes (Global House and Thai Watsadu) came to town a year or so ago to compete with Home Blow (not a slur; that's how Thais pronounce it) and the other shops. It completely changed everything for a guy building a house. So maybe our Thai Watsadu does not have the same great service as yours, but I'm damned glad it is here!

I usually schedule a trip into town (Phitsanulok) each wednesday for building materials and a "farang lunch." I always have a list, then I "make the round": Makro, Global House, Muang Tam (electric shop), Home Blow, Saoake (An OUTSTANDING local building supply store, great prices, great service, speak English -- very lucky on this one), and Thai Watsadu.

There is no question that the prices can very a whole lot, or one store has the thing and the other does not. If I want to save a couple of baht, there is no way to avoid "making the round." Of course if its a could of small things, the savings would not offset the fuel cost.

And Craig, I wondered why I get pushed so hard by staff to buy certain brands. They insist, "This is the good one." I never believe it. I am so conditioned to the "I don't give a shit" attitude here that when there is all this sudden interest in getting me the "best" I smell a rat. I assumed there were bonuses involved, or it was a in house label.

Edited by Ticketmaster

As to product warranties, they are provided by the manufacturers so have nothing to do with the store/distributor. Maybe you are referring to return policies? Anyway, will swing by and check it out soon...Wasuda, HomeWorks, HomePro, Santi and all the smaller Thai shops...put it all together and you almost have a Loews Homecenter smile.png

I think those who are use to places like Loews find the stores here frustrating. At Loews, normally, the sales staff are extremely knowledgeable within their area of expertise. You can explain a problem and they'll recommend a solution. No where near that here. Plus, the stores here normally rent out space to manufacturers to sell their products. So the sales pitch is pretty strong, and the selection is dodgy. And if you're looking for a specific thing, good luck finding it. The selection is quite small for true hardware stuff. Normally, I end up at some other small Thai store that specializes in that type of stuff. Frustrating.

The return policy is also frustrating. At Loews, you can walk in without a sales receipt and a used item and still get a store credit. Never, ever happen here.

Yep...it's sorta like shopping for farang groceries, to find everything one needs, you have to make the rounds. As to return policies, I think HomePro is pretty fair by Thai standards...for most products, if you return it within 7 days and it's unopened and you have receipt you can get at least a store credit (can't remember if can get cash refund). I actually think return policies have gotten so lenient in US as to be ridiculous to the point they are abused by many people. It's the case that let's say for a special occasion prom dress, a shopper will "buy" one they like a wear it that nite and then return it (maybe washed or not) for a refund later, when they has no intention of keeping the dress. With many retailers "no questions asked" return policies it's like this with many things. I guess the retail environment is so competitive stores adopt these policies our of desperation to gin up sales but seems pretty ridiculous to me.

• Like 2

Beardog, you lucky dog, you! A manager from the US? The Thai Watsadu in Phitsanulok is big and beautiful, but every farang hates the place, we all much prefer Global House. I think it is a case of poor management at our local TW. They often have the best price, but they never keep their promises, They are constantly out of stock, require a special order to get the thing, promise in two weeks, but then it takes a month or more. Very frustrating for somebody on a building schedule. But the staff is VERY polite and friendly, it's just that you can't believe anything.

That said, we are VERY LUCKY that these Big Boxes (Global House and Thai Watsadu) came to town a year or so ago to compete with Home Blow (not a slur; that's how Thais pronounce it) and the other shops. It completely changed everything for a guy building a house. So maybe our Thai Watsadu does not have the same great service as yours, but I'm damned glad it is here!

"Home Blow," seems to me there's a business idea there somewhere...don't come to us, let us come to you :)

• Like 1

I too was not impressed by the TW Rayong branch after all the hype on here, but maybe having Global house and Hardware house in the same region we tend to expect better prices and service.

Good luck to the Pattaya TW though.

Anybody shop much at Boothavorn? It always seems to get forgotten in discussions of local home improvement stores...including by me in my post above. It's a huge place with lots of items on display but seems almost more like a products showroom than an actual retail outlet. I know they do sell retail quantities of stuff but is it more geared to showing products to the trade and selling wholesale to builders and contractors?

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Boonthavorn is a great place for tiles, marble/granite, bathroom and kitchen fittings, etc. Expensive, but they have some wonderful stuff you won't find anywhere else. But I wouldn't call it a hardware store. Some stuff in the back, but not a large amount. Great place to visit when you are remodeling or doing a buildout.

This new Thai Watsadu is just a larger Home Works, owned by Central Group, with the same merchandise and brands that can be found at the one next to Big C on Sukumvit in Pattaya, just more of it

Just try and ask for anything in the electrical section and you will get the same blank stares as you do at Home Works, sorry but IMHO, this new store is not an improvement for DIY'ers here in Pattaya

Bought a light bulb there on opening day, but could not test is since they had not set up a bulb testing fixture yet. Got home and it did not work and went back the next day a 09:30 and was told that I would have to come back after 1 PM to do an even exchange because there was no one in the electrical department....same crap as at Home Works.....just a different location....128 THB cost of a lesson to never go back

I am going down to check the store out, I must show this thread to the English General Manager and see how it gets received.

I am going down to check the store out, I must show this thread to the American Manager and see how it gets received.

Bills of the items can be provided as evidence smile.png

Edited by PeterSmiles

This new Thai Watsadu is just a larger Home Works, owned by Central Group, with the same merchandise and brands that can be found at the one next to Big C on Sukumvit in Pattaya, just more of it

Just try and ask for anything in the electrical section and you will get the same blank stares as you do at Home Works, sorry but IMHO, this new store is not an improvement for DIY'ers here in Pattaya

Bought a light bulb there on opening day, but could not test is since they had not set up a bulb testing fixture yet. Got home and it did not work and went back the next day a 09:30 and was told that I would have to come back after 1 PM to do an even exchange because there was no one in the electrical department....same crap as at Home Works.....just a different location....128 THB cost of a lesson to never go back

Are you sure about Central Group being the parent of Thai Wasuda? If so, can one use their One Card there for discounts and points? One nice thing about HomeWorks is you can use the One Card there.

Like all things in Thailand you have to shop around. They kill home pro on some items & fall short on others. Homeworks seems to have almost everything that Homepro does but is a little more professional the way they deal with returns. Now if there was a global home I would really be down with that. I am a tool time kinda guy like Ticketmaster is and I also don't tend to get pushed into the promotions since some of the staff are paid on commissions. Not to veer to off topic but my first experience with Homepro was seeing a gentleman from England that just bought a lawnmower 2 hours ago & it would not fire up. They were very adamant instead of doing the right thing & just giving the man a new lawnmower & starting it up there for a couple seconds to show him it works. They slagged him & told him he would have to wait for 2 months for the mower to be sent back to BKK to get fixed.Needless to say the poor guy was exasperated & devastated after spending around 15,000 baht for the mower which was the best one they had(apparently NOT) Apparently their 7 day return does not apply on major purchases! My experiences were the same with them. I was always wrong & they were always right even down to me taking apart the electric lawnmower that has 1500 watt all over the box & 1500 watt on the warranty & was made in China(stated on the motor) Not Europe as advertised(but they all do this trick) After taking the cover housing the motor I showed them it was in fact a 1000 watt motor & made in China a label & stamped with a die set showing China & 1000 watt they accused me of stamping the motor & making the label on the motor. I don't know about you guys & gals but I don't think I would ever go out & buy a die set & make a intricate model label to get over on them I wasn't returning the item anyway. Not really fair business tactics & not impressed & I know someone will chime in that no one is forcing me to shop there & I don't now .The only thing about Home Pro it was convenient going to Carrefore now Big C & being next to a DIY center. I limit my purchases to 500-1000 baht a year there.And I am happier not participating in their program anymore but do delight in having another place to shop even though it is not as complete as Global house it is & has rare tools & items I can buy instead of having to create to accommodate my needs in tool world. You still need to shop around. I picked up a tire gauge that was better quality & metal casing for 35 baht less & was metal instead of plastic.but if you get a faucet Homeworks is a better deal.If Global hose ever opens here(hopefully they will do a better job on the AC issues that Rayong store has ) I will be all over it. If you want Shera or Conwood products or the insulation & some roofing materials they have the best prices next to Global house.

Coming from the U.S. I am a picky bastard when it comes down to spending 400,000 baht to outfit a house every time we build to sell but I am also a realist Thailand has never made their claim to fame as a place where it is easy like Lowes or Home depot kind of stores are. So I can't complain about what the stores here carry but I DEMAND.... as politely as I can to be treated as a valued customer if I am dropping a chunk of cash with any business. Home Pro has Never gone out of their way to help me in 10 years so any shop opening is good competition anwhere in the world . While the corporate offices don't care about customer satisfaction much & there are exceptions to every rule the shareholder don't care for seeing their profits dwindle as they piss off customers & they leave.

But everything here in LOS is mutable within a year the prices that are a deal may go up higher & quality down. Time will tell. I relish having more choices than the 3 in town & if they make my job easier so I don't have to mule hand tools & such from the U.S. every time I go back They get Kudos for doing a good job.

Realistically with expensive as Boontavorn is there are deals that are better than the other places & if you solely shop there you would lose in the long run. The only thing that separates them for me is how they handle problems after the sale, because even if it is cheaper at a store does not necessarily make it better than the other places when poor customer handling leaves a horrendous taste in your mouth.

Edited for spelling errors!

Afternoon guys, Baz has just pointed me in the direction of this thread.

I'm pleased to see some of the positive feedback for the Thai Watsadu in Pattaya, and I hope we can continue to supply and support local traders businesses and customers. Couple of things I'll highlight that may help explain any shortcomings some of you may have experienced shopping in my store:

Apologies to the gentleman with the lightbulb issue, that is not policy and I will address that with the dept manager. Any faulty item can be returned and exchanged (or refunded with receipt) regardless of time of day or staff on duty. This is a hangover from Kan Yong days where I have a couple of staff still working to their policy and is taking time to adjust them! Secondly, the bulb demonstration unit has been up and running since day one so I'm sorry you weren't directed to that.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1385788383.831036.jpg

Price comparison on pumps vs GBH. Although this was Rayong I feel I can comment. We price match anything on a like-for-like basis. Bring us proof of an identical item (or quotation in terms of steel timber etc) and we will match it. We endeavour already to pre-empt this by price matching in advance (I have 3 people that I out every day just checking prices on certain lines in all our competitors) but sometimes we miss things. Next time though just bring it to our attention and I'll authorise a match.

As an FYI 5 days before opening the new roof (we have joined the 2 buildings together into one) collapsed in heavy rain and flooded the entire building destroying several million baht of stock. Some of the shortcomings you see in stock and pricing are us desperately trying to catch up with this as we were contractually obliged to open on 22nd come hell or (literally) high water. All being well we will be nearly 100% by Mid December.

Just 1 final point; sorry to disappoint anyone but I'm English, not from the US. Not sure where that came from but never mind! Notwithstanding I am here to facilitate a slightly more logical and improved standard of retailing and detailing along with striking a balance to large farang community in Pattaya. I've got about 13 years experience in store management retail and sales, most recently with B&Q (Same as Home Depot or Bunnings for any US/Aussie's) so I should be able to help with most DIY/home improvement queries. To this end, pop into the store to say hello, and if anyone needs any help or assistance Baz has my number or send me a message on here or just ask for me at the service desk and they will buzz me from wherever I am in the store.

Thanks guys.

"No, I work here and my wife is English. I don't want a pingpong show and I'm *not* Russian."

Thanks for the fast reply Draxnet, it was really good to meet you and the product range is really good.

Are you sure about Central Group being the parent of Thai Wasuda? If so, can one use their One Card there for discounts and points? One nice thing about HomeWorks is you can use the One Card there.

It is owned by the central group, they have their own discount card there, which i just got one of, not sure if the One card is useable there, maybe the GM can provide that info.

Afternoon guys, Baz has just pointed me in the direction of this thread.

•Price comparison on pumps vs GBH. Although this was Rayong I feel I can comment. We price match anything on a like-for-like basis. Bring us proof of an identical item (or quotation in terms of steel timber etc) and we will match it. We endeavour already to pre-empt this by price matching in advance (I have 3 people that I out every day just checking prices on certain lines in all our competitors) but sometimes we miss things. Next time though just bring it to our attention and I'll authorise a match.

Thanks guys.

"No, I work here and my wife is English. I don't want a pingpong show and I'm *not* Russian."

Although I appreciate your comments and your desire to be the best store in town, I really don't get your point about the price matching.

Why would a customer have to go out of his way to take quotations from other stores, then come to you to allow you to earn some business, by matching the lowest price ? Isn't it the customer that should be rewarded, with a big discount on the lowest price to bring it to your attention?

As you probably have noticed, the items I brought to the attention in this thread, don't concern some 100 Baht differences, but actually 25 and 30% premiums and I'm sure the other stores still earn money on them.

It also wasn't a promotion as I just checked, and it was actually 6 weeks ago that I purchased the items, and last Wednesday on my visit to Hardware House, the price was still the same.

If you want proof I can post the receipts on the forum.

Edit : First line : comparison changed to matching.

Edited by PeterSmiles

Sure, I can understand your perspective Peter. Let me explain a little:

1. We don't expect customers to go traipsing around to find prices to match on every sku in order to bring to us, that is not what I'm suggesting. As I highlighted I already have a process in place in order that we are already price competitive. To put this into perspective though I carry 117600 different sku's at last count, we so sometimes miss some in our comparison checks. For this I apologise and certainly from my store's perspective we will get better over time.

2. We don't need quotations, just some proof (people usually take a picture with their camera phone) in order to match. We however require some element of proof otherwise the process would be horrifically open to abuse by unscrupulous individuals.

3. Retailers (including us) quite often do buy back deals with the vendors. For example, the pump you highlight is discontinued from Mitsubishi. I only hazard a guess that GlobalHouse have bought up their discon'd stock, because it's never been in my range as a new store which means it's being withdrawn from other TWD's. This is the 100w version

post-186379-13857947899684_thumb.jpg

We are doing a special on the 150w Mitsu pump though for B5130 which is a strong seller.

With regards to the ladder, Sanki are a partner brand with HH. (Same as we are with Giant King Kong and KanYong was with Siam Cement.) Just means we can't undercut them only, match but they will always drop their shelf price again against us. Ours is B2130 not B2730 though?

post-186379-13857948465474_thumb.jpg

We do however have the identical ladder with same grade aluminium, dimensions, and spec that is our brand for B790 less than HH Sanki.

post-186379-13857948701846_thumb.jpg

It just depends if brand or price is more important to you.

I'm drawing a blank with the Luckystar pump I'm afraid? Not a brand I can see us carrying here? We have this Luckypro automatic 250W pump at B1890 which compares favourably.

post-186379-13857949002055_thumb.jpg

4. I guess the big thing is would you rather we didn't do the price matching at all? As it stands as far as I am aware we are the only retailer in this sector that does it, but if it's more hassle or confusion to the customer then I'll recommend we adopt a different strategy.

• Like 1

This new Thai Watsadu is just a larger Home Works, owned by Central Group, with the same merchandise and brands that can be found at the  one next to Big C on Sukumvit in Pattaya, just more of it

Just try and ask for anything in the electrical section and you will get the same blank stares as  you do at Home Works, sorry but IMHO, this new store is not an improvement for DIY'ers here in Pattaya

Bought a light bulb there on opening day, but could not test is since they had not set up a bulb testing fixture yet.  Got home and it did not work and went back the next day a 09:30 and was told that I would have to come back after 1 PM to do an even exchange because there was no one in the electrical department....same crap as at Home Works.....just a different location....128 THB cost of a lesson to never go back

It is owned by the central group, they have their own discount card there, which i just got one of, not sure if the One card is useable there, maybe the GM can provide that info.

As it stands today no, but please bear with us. There is an exercise going on with Homeworks and TWD that will be complete by May, that means our systems will assimilate so you will be able to. Currently we have our Thai card which (I would say this) gives better benefits such as reduced prices on key lines below the shelf price and free stuff as well, but the 1Card will, all being well, soon be able to be redeemed in TWD's.

Very good responses. Thanks for taking the time. Nice offer on the price matches. This is similar to what I'm use to back in the US. No extra discounts, just a simple match.

One item we did notice yesterday were LOTS of floor clerks but only one register open. Quite a long line. We actually gave up and left without buying anything. Just too long of a wait.

Your store looks very good. A nice addition to the Pattaya area. And great for me as I live down near the Ambassador. Easy in and easy out!

Quite puzzled this morning maybe 100 staff out back being friendly and helping customers but only one checkout girl and a great long Q, After 10 minutes, complained to the returns desk and they let me check out there but still just the one girl coping with a trolly full of amongst other things around 100 pieces of plastic water pipe fittings that all had to be checked individually. It is Saturday, it is the busiest day of the week and one girl on checkout w00t.gif

Prices are OK and pretty much in line with Global House, maybe a few extra baht on stuff I looked at but would spend more than that petrol driving to Raying so that's a relief. Kind of disappointed in the lamp department though, I could find no special bulk three or six pack prices for lamps, I have over 100 cfl's burning every night sad.png so get through a lot of those and find the Sylvania multi packs save me a lot.

I like the store its well laid out it also has more of the heavy contracting and some Electrical High Tension items than the others locally, I shall be back smile.png

• Like 1