Laptop battaries why do they cost so much

ezzra

Laptop batteries, why do they cost so much here in Thailand? as I'm sure that everyone

who needed a replacement battery know very well that you can get a non OEM battery

for any laptop for around $ 15-25 with 3 years guarantee, while here in Thailand it will

cost you $ 60-100 for the same battery with only 6 months guarantee,

is it because of greed or high taxes or both?

The last I knew, there were only 3 manufacturers in the world that make laptop batteries. All manufacturers buy from them.

I believe the same is true for LED screens.

I hate burst your bubble, but it has something to do with import duties perhaps, and surely with Thai ripoffs.

I just bought a two brand new 9 cell batteries for my IBM laptop and they cost me the grand sum of US$44 (1400 baht,) or $22 each (700 baht) for both of them shipped. I bought them on US eBay. Link

All in all, other than rent and utilities, Thailand is a rip-off place to live.

Edited by NeverSure

The last I knew, there were only 3 manufacturers in the world that make laptop batteries. All manufacturers buy from them.

I believe the same is true for LED screens.

I hate burst your bubble, but it has something to do with import duties perhaps, and surely with Thai ripoffs.

I just bought a two brand new 9 cell batteries for my IBM laptop and they cost me the grand sum of US$44 (1400 baht,) or $22 each (700 baht) for both of them shipped. I bought them on US eBay. Link

All in all, other than rent and utilities, Thailand is a rip-off place to live.

I find cable and internet also less expensive than my home country.

Oh yeah same goes for hotels, cheaper in Thailand.

Generally, batteries are expensive in Thailand compared to western countries....I figure its due to import/luxury/excise taxes. Much of the Thai govt revenue is based on import/luxury/excise taxes since much of the Thai population is poor, don't pay income taxes, or pay very little personal income tax. So, the govt must focus revenue collection more towards import/luxury/excise/value added taxes which hits everybody and is much harder for anyone to avoid. When I need a laptop battery I order it off Ebay...usually the price (with shipping) will be about half to two-third of what is asked in Thailand.

• Like 1

The only reason they are expensive is profit, excess thereof , best buy

direct from China, try Aliexpress, some post free to Thailand,the last one

i bought was off Ebay uk, 15 pounds for a 9 cell, and my daughter brought

it when she came,and remember theres at least 20% VAT in UK,so its all

down to profit, as all batteries will be made in China.

regards Worgeordie

From looking at the Thai Govt Customs Tariff data base the import tax on primary batteries such as lithium batteries is 40%. I also see from a PWC booklet that batteries also have an excise tax applied but I couldn't get the excise dept database to open today...excise taxes in Thailand range from 1 to approx 50% depending on the item. Once again, batteries generally cost more in Thailand because of import/excise taxes applied before they reach the store for sale....the stores could make a lot more profit by selling more batteries if they could only offer a lower price due to reduced import/excise taxes....but as I mentioned earlier a lot of Thailand tax revenue come from import/luxury/excise/VAT taxes compared to personal income tax since so many people do not pay income tax. The great, great majority of Thais think things cost a lot because they cost a lot to make....come from outside the country where things cost more....they are just clueless to what an import/excise tax is.....they understand income tax which most don't have to pay...and they understand the 7% VATsince they know that is in the price of most things they buy....but import/excise taxes is just unknown to them....if they would only realize their own govt is the cause high prices on many items...like the recent big rise in the cost of beer/wine/whiskey due to a healthy excise tax increase. TIT

See the two attachments which talks the import and excise tax for batteries.

Integrated Tariff Database.pdf

www.pwc.com_en_TH_th_publications_2013_thai-tax-2013-booklet.pdf

Edited by Pib