Thai 'Red Shirt' leaders end rally after violence

Lite Beer

Thai 'Red Shirt' leaders end rally after violence

BANGKOK, December 1, 2013 (AFP) - Leaders of the pro-government 'Red Shirts' on Sunday ordered tens of thousands of their supporters to end a mass rally in Bangkok after violence left at least one person dead and dozens more wounded.

"In order to avoid further complicating the situation for the government, we have decided to let people return home," Thida Thavornseth told protesters gathered in a Bangkok stadium.

One person was shot dead and at least 35 wounded late Saturday as anti-government demonstrators clashed with Red Shirts in the area around the stadium, according to emergency services.

Tensions in the Thai capital remained high on Sunday after reports of fresh violence near the stadium and threats by opposition demonstrators to try to enter key government buildings, including the headquarters of embattled Thai premier Yingluck Shinawatra.

On Saturday, police said protesters hurled bottles at officers near the stadium in the Ramkhamhaeng district, where more than 70,000 Red Shirts were gathered.

Gunshots were later fired near the stadium, claiming the first life in the recent protests, according to police, although the circumstances of the fatality were unclear.

The opposition demonstrators, who want to replace Prime Minister Yingluck's government with an unelected "people's council", have mounted the kingdom's biggest street rallies since political violence in Bangkok three years ago left dozens dead in a military crackdown.

The protests were triggered by an amnesty bill, since abandoned by the ruling party, that opponents feared would have allowed the return of fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, Yingluck's brother, whose overthrow by royalist generals in 2006 unleashed years of political turmoil.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-01

• Like 1

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rally ends, and people dispersing back home, which is a good thing in the current climate.

But if they will take the current situation in a good-natured manner remains to be seen. The rally is only the fish leaping into daylight briefly, before returning to the depths where it is unseen. There needs to be dialogue and discussion and consensus between all parties, just going home and feeling angry about lost-face is not going to help anyone.

• Like 2

Media reports that it was a Red-shirt supporter (soldier in civilian clothes) who was shot dead by the students who carried a gun and fought back after they were attacked with weapons. Because both sides are having 24/7 round the clock rallies so close to each other, they knew it would further cause more deaths to continue on. So it's good that they cancelled before things get worse. I'm sure people are tired of it around there.

• Like 1

Thida said, "let people return home." ???? Which means they are "free" to remain, if they want? I'll believe they're leaving when we see firm evidence for it.

I'm sure there are plenty left behind ready to disrupt the up til now peaceful protest. The reds only know violence.

• Like 2

Thida said, "let people return home." ???? Which means they are "free" to remain, if they want? I'll believe they're leaving when we see firm evidence for it.

There are pictures of an empty stadium.

Where? Not disputing you. I'd just like to see them. Thai TV suddenly full of cooking shows and happy talk.

Media reports that it was a Red-shirt supporter (soldier in civilian clothes) who was shot dead by the students who carried a gun and fought back after they were attacked with weapons. Because both sides are having 24/7 round the clock rallies so close to each other, they knew it would further cause more deaths to continue on. So it's good that they cancelled before things get worse. I'm sure people are tired of it around there.

Sad to hear about the death but yet to see if it was an anti or pro government supporter. Reports seem to be ambiguous on this.

There are pictures of an empty stadium.

Where? Not disputing you. I'd just like to see them. Thai TV suddenly full of cooking shows and happy talk.

There's a pic int he Sunday updates. The reds have evacuated. I just wonder if they all got on buses or are wandering around Ramkhanhang right now. Another update said that the police are afraid to go into the area. <deleted>?

I'm sure there are plenty left behind ready to disrupt the up til now peaceful protest. The reds only know violence.

It did take days and what the Red supporters were claiming as "thousands of buses" to get them here. So it should require a similar exodus for them to leave, right? Anybody seen any bus caravans exiting the capital? If not, then they're still here, just underground, aren't they?

• Like 1

The contract for Red Shirts to rent the stadium ended on 30 Nov. This is the reason for the dispersal and not the reason implied in the article.

LOL, since when has an expired contract ever pulled a rug on tens of thousands of Red-shirt protesters? Has anyone ever told you that contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on? I'm sure the stadium owner couldn't disperse then even if they wanted to. And it's not like they can't come up with the funds from the man in Dubai to cover their rent. I"m sure he'd be more than happy to foot the bill.

• Like 1

It did take days and what the Red supporters were claiming as "thousands of buses" to get them here. So it should require a similar exodus for them to leave, right? Anybody seen any bus caravans exiting the capital? If not, then they're still here, just underground, aren't they?

Exactly. I just don't see them giving up that easily.

How many people does the stadium hold? Last night when supposedly they had the most reds there it still looked only 2/3s full, or less.

At least one side is showing some maturity and common sense and wants an end to the violence.  Now if only the yellow shirts would grow up and follow the lead and put an end to this Kaos.

The protestors had hundreds of thousands, without one incident of violence.  The reds gather for one day, get out their weapons and try to start it up.

They need to go home now and lick their wounds.  Let the adults handle things.

From reports it was the yellows who attacked the reds.  It is the reds who have made the responsible decision to disperse so as not to provoke the yellows who appear itching for a confrontation.

Really? The reports I have read state that a female student was attacked for having a whistle around her neck and other students reacted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I think two deaths are confirmed now. Both the red shirt supporter and the student. Reports claim red shirt support that died was part of group that attacked students with sticks and bottles. Also seems to be at least one student injured at RU. Rector claims M79 was fired at university. Not sure how he'd know it was an M79, but seems a grenade may have been used.

Very clever move by the "reds" .

Ball in your court Suthep, he is now in a tough spot with a big rug pulled from under him.Needs to man up and admit he has lost again and let the country get back to Thai normal.

He can now join the amnesty crowd as he must have broken a boatload of laws.

Actually, nothing has changed from Suthep's point of view. Suthep wasn't protesting against the red shirts. The red shirts going home doesn't change the fact that the PTP government is still in power.

My apologies, I always thought there was an association between the "reds" and the PTP. I guess I misread the situation, easy to do in Thai politics.

• Like 2

At least one side is showing some maturity and common sense and wants an end to the violence. Now if only the yellow shirts would grow up and follow the lead and put an end to this Kaos.

The protestors had hundreds of thousands, without one incident of violence. The reds gather for one day, get out their weapons and try to start it up.

They need to go home now and lick their wounds. Let the adults handle things.

From reports it was the yellows who attacked the reds. It is the reds who have made the responsible decision to disperse so as not to provoke the yellows who appear itching for a confrontation.

Really? The reports I have read state that a female student was attacked for having a whistle around her neck and other students reacted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, that seems to be an incident which happened at some point in the last few days, according to the students. But confrontation didn't directly follow that. I believe they've also claimed that red shirts damaged a sacred RU statue or something?

Incident yesterday started with students attacking red shirts though: http://www.demotix.com/news/3380521/red-shirts-targeted-anti-govt-protesters-outside-university#media-3381498

Very clever move by the "reds" .

Ball in your court Suthep, he is now in a tough spot with a big rug pulled from under him.Needs to man up and admit he has lost again and let the country get back to Thai normal.

He can now join the amnesty crowd as he must have broken a boatload of laws.

Actually, nothing has changed from Suthep's point of view. Suthep wasn't protesting against the red shirts. The red shirts going home doesn't change the fact that the PTP government is still in power.

My apologies, I always thought there was an association between the "reds" and the PTP. I guess I misread the situation, easy to do in Thai politics.

There clearly is an association. But the red shirt protesters going home doesn't change anything for Suthep. PTP are still in government. His aim is to get them out of government. I'm not sure how busing in protesters and then busing them out will change that.