Situation in the capital is still tense after tear gas fired at protesters

Lite Beer

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Time to move the mechanics of government to Chiang Mai?

No thanks. It's high season, don't you know.... There's no room at the inn.

You may well be right. I'll be there in 3 weeks time. Don't want it too crowded with appalling-driving Bangkokians.

"PM" (I use the term very loosely) Yingluck and her cronies are not under fire. Abhisit and his forces were...!!

The major difference being that Abhisit was not the democratically elected leader of the country but a johnny come lately after his friends in the judiciary banned PPP (Peua Thai's name at the time)

[Applies to all sides] The accusations that the other side does not abide by the constitution are essentially correct - they it is only to be abided to if it backs up your position. Attempting to overthrow the government using unconstitutional means shows that Suthep is as hypocritical as the worst of them.

http://news.sky.com/story/1176026/thai-pm-flees-building-during-violent-protests

Fleeling to where? She is on the run now..

For those not able to view the UK sky news link; its reporting the Thai PM has fled the police sports club in which she was (hiding) based after protesters breached the security.

I like to see her climbing over the wall behind government house when her brother in law, Somchai Wongsawat was the PM. Unfortunately I didn't save a copy of that photo shot in the local papers.....deja vu...

Teargas and rubber bullets...I do not believe, I am saying this, but...it happens everywhere, not only in Thailand!

Yes, the use of non-lethal force is commonly used when protesters try to storm whatever their target of the protest is. As long as protests are peaceful, the police tend to react as such..... Of course sometimes here they have had a bad habit of using lethal force (live ammunition), which I blame successive governments for since they have not enough properly trained police in crowd / riot control. Calling army in, which is trained in the use of DEADLY force, should not be done for normal policing activities - only in cases of disaster relief (Super-Typhoons, floods etc).

Just saw some nasty shots on Channel 7 of protestors choking on tear gas and wounded with rubber bullets that piece the skin. The reporter was quoting medics saying the authorities have mixed a chemical in the water fired by the water cannons that causes extremely itching and bleeding from the nose.

No , that's just normal tap water

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

from the klong, I presume....mixed up...

The major difference being that Abhisit was not the democratically elected leader of the country but a johnny come lately after his friends in the judiciary banned PPP (Peua Thai's name at the time)

I see you don't have that election process thing quite down yet. The PM is not elected but appointed.

I see you don't have that election process thing quite down yet. The PM is not elected but appointed.

Appointed is a word that is used for leaders that are selected by a higher authority. The leader of the party is elected from within their own party by it's members based on a party's constitution and the laws of the land. In a parliamentary system (typically) the voters elect the party and the leader at the same -- they cannot be from different parties. Some people will vote just for party, some will vote based on the leader. That is quite different than being appointed or engineered into a position after your party loses the election.

The MP's elect the PM and Abhisit was elected by the MP's. Democracy at work according to the rules. Too difficult to understand for millwall_fan?

• Like 1

"The protesters also besieged at least three television stations demanding they broadcast the protesters views. The stations executives organised a meeting with representatives of the protesters and they agree to meet their demands."

Red, not red, govt, anti-govt, there appears to be no tolerance for any views of the other side. The stupidity and bigotry of all sides never fails to amaze me.

Doesn't amaze me.

It's all about money and who can get their hands on it.

• Like 2

Yingluck is a party list MP so not elected to parliament.

Having said that, many of my Thai friends voted PTP as they do not trust the Democrats to make any changes or do anything for anyone but themselves. They believed YL was new and would bring energy for genuine change. All are now bitterly disappointed at how openly she is totally controlled by her brother, the corruption and ineptness within her government and most of all the lies and contempt the people are treated with.

Abhisit may or may not be different. But, for sure he is totally controlled too.

The Thai election process is not the same as the UK's. What does seem sure is that this system will continue to produce the same results with the same group of players.

I don't know what the answer is - but hope it's not more of the same!

Exactly this and hope the same.

"The protesters also besieged at least three television stations demanding they broadcast the protesters views. The stations executives organised a meeting with representatives of the protesters and they agree to meet their demands."

Red, not red, govt, anti-govt, there appears to be no tolerance for any views of the other side. The stupidity and bigotry of all sides never fails to amaze me.

Doesn't amaze me.

It's all about money and who can get their hands on it.

On reflection, should have said

"appal and disgust me"

rather than amaze.

Yingluck is a party list MP so not elected to parliament.

Having said that, many of my Thai friends voted PTP as they do not trust the Democrats to make any changes or do anything for anyone but themselves. They believed YL was new and would bring energy for genuine change. All are now bitterly disappointed at how openly she is totally controlled by her brother, the corruption and ineptness within her government and most of all the lies and contempt the people are treated with.

Abhisit may or may not be different. But, for sure he is totally controlled too.

The Thai election process is not the same as the UK's. What does seem sure is that this system will continue to produce the same results with the same group of players.

I don't know what the answer is - but hope it's not more of the same!

Party list MPs are elected to parliament - it is part of a proportional representation system which is preferenced by the "yellow" representatives. In a standard non-proportional system like the UK, Canada etc, Yingluck would have been elected from a riding and have an absolute majority in parliament. The proportional representation is filled out by people on the party-list based on proportion of the overall votes and the first n people on the list go to parliament. In fact it makes no sense in a proportional system for the leader to run in a specific riding since it may end up with the leader losing his/her riding but still being the leader. The leader/party are voted for at the same time. Some people vote party, some people vote leader but that is how the system is designed.

• Like 2