Thai protest leader meets PM, refuses to back down

Lite Beer

Hinted maybe, what is your stance?

What is your solution to this mess?

My stance is all politicians, democrats or Peuh Thai are crooked in Thailand, i do not stand for Thaksin but for sure neither the democrats who tried to keep for decades the rural people in ignorance because it served them quite well and needed a Thaksin to wake up...a bit

Maybe i m the only one here to think that I d not have a practical solution to this mess, however mass education seems to be a good start, getting rid of the democracy and asking for an appointed cabinet is for sure not the solution.

Rural people in Thailand really do not need much encouragement to stay ignorant.

They are happy to stay lazy and do nothing , the occasional hand out is all that is needed to make them happy.

You do realize there is problem with staff in Thailand not due to labor shortages , but due to lazy people unwilling to work.

You do realize no government on this planet can stop self education, and yet I do not see too many of them even trying to make an effort .

Try employing and working with your beloved so called rural people , it's mind boggling how so any can be that lazy and unmotivated, with no desire or ambition to succeed.

What planet are you living on?

How many rice crops have you grown in a lifetime?

• Like 2

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you have some very good points but you are a little bit confused.

Nothing has been achieved. The massprotest large number of people on the street, for a day, was an achievement and a powerful statement

You can't have it both ways.

It was a great achievement to finally cut through the thick bone in the head of the golfing clone to get to her brain that the people were not happy with her, If she stay's or go's makes no difference we will have a government aware that the public is no longer going to put up with in your face corruption you are stupid and I am smart there fore what I say go's no argument.

Interesting with the head of her three military arms there she has a warrant out for his arrest why did she not just have him carted off to jail?cheesy.gif

I assure you I'm not confused at all. Upset, disappointed, not-really-surprised, are all here at me, but confusion isn't.

And it isn't about having "it both ways", this is simply about massprotest and data distribution, 200k+ people on the street, marching, for one day, each gives out a few booklets with lists of complaints and data about the subject of their protest, is a very powerful statement. Then they go home after one day. Home in time for tea. Data distributed, message sent, opponents not enraged, nobody dead. That is how it works in a democracy, which is about the conveyance of information, and discussion thereof. There is no "both ways" about it.

The other option is what we got this time, where protesters hang around for ages, occupy, break stuff, achieve "great" feats like making the *ing Internet shut-down for thousands so that normal people who were trying to send their edit scripts that night were unable to do so and got very cross indeed (!!!), and not very smart protest leaders who spout fireball rhetoric which only makes the more impressionable people get all excited and take risks, which as we've seen has led to tragic loss of life.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Yunla

Agreed. Thaksin's supporters see him as a man who understands them and looks after their interests; a man who does not represent the elite who live off the backs of the poor. It matters not whether he is corrupt, that is the norm in Thai politics, and the money he is seen to have taken is not considered to be theirs anyway. Why would the people of Nottingham shun Robin Hood? . If this government were to fall the good people of Isaan would bring every deaf octogenarian grandmother, every crippled rice farmer and every hospital patient capable of breathing out to vote for whatever new political party Thaksin formed, even if his dog were the proxy leader.

Thaksin as Robin Hood, that's really (amply?) rich. The legendary figure robbed the tax men and returned the money to the villagers. What he didn't do was keep most for himself and use it to usurp power.

UPDATE:
Army chief hosts Suthep-Yingluck meeting Sunday

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Anti-government rally leader Suthep Thaugsuban yesterday met Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra for the first time at the mediation of Army Commander in Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha.

The meeting was made at unknown location with the presence of commanders in chief of Navy and Air Force with an aim to solve the escalating the protests. Prayuth made the offer to help host the meeting in the morning.

Suthep said he met the prime minister and the commanders-in-chief of the three armed forces in an-hour meeting .

However the meeting has no fruitful solution as Suthep, who led the protests to uproot Thaksin Regime, insisted that Yingluck government had no legetimacy to administer the country since the day it announced that it rejected the Constitutional Court’s rulings on charter amendment concerning senate election.

"I did not regard the meeting as a negotiation. I told her to return the ruling mandate back to people. A council should be set up to draft a new constitution before holding a new election," he said in a press conference broadcast in free-to-air television channels at about 9.30am.

Suthep said Yingluck did not say anything during the meeting. "This would be the only meeting between the premier and me, there would be no such meeting until people win.

Gen Prayuth told Suthep and Yingluck that the armed forces did not want to see the people killed or injured and they would stand by the country.

Prayuth said during a meeting of Suthep and Yingluck that the armed forces would stand by the country.

"I decided to attend the meeting because it was held in the presence of the armed forces’ commanders in chief. It was a good opportunity to make them know people’s stance in a clear and straightforward ways," Suthep said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-02

Agreed. Thaksin's supporters see him as a man who understands them and looks after their interests; a man who does not represent the elite who live off the backs of the poor. It matters not whether he is corrupt, that is the norm in Thai politics, and the money he is seen to have taken is not considered to be theirs anyway. Why would the people of Nottingham shun Robin Hood? . If this government were to fall the good people of Isaan would bring every deaf octogenarian grandmother, every crippled rice farmer and every hospital patient capable of breathing out to vote for whatever new political party Thaksin formed, even if his dog were the proxy leader.

Thaksin as Robin Hood, that's really (amply?) rich. The legendary figure robbed the tax men and returned the money to the villagers. What he didn't do was keep most for himself and use it to usurp power.

He's the Thai equivalent of Robin Hood and regardless of how much he retains for his own purposes Thaksin is viewed as doing more for the people of the North and North East than any Democrat ever will. Anyway, Dubai is expensive and the man has to live. :-)

Suthep is hardly the person to lead Thailand on the international arena. Doesn't he have warrants for his arrest? So when he takes control of the country and it's coffers what then, does he give himself amnesty and make all his wrongs disappear?

• Like 1

The article is a good read:

"They are spending around five million baht (HK$1.27 million) a day on sustaining the protesters, so he [suthep] must have people behind him providing that money."

There have been a lot of "pots" calling the "kettles" black, lately.

In August a few friends of mine, students involved in the '76 revolt and now PAD'rs, Santi Asoke and Chamlong Srimuang- admirers in Bangkok, told me that the people behind the 2006 coup were counseling and preparing demonstrations and that they were "very good in guerilla-style tactics". I just can't believe why so many people here on TV are still denying the PAD involvement.

The article is a good read:

"They are spending around five million baht (HK$1.27 million) a day on sustaining the protesters, so he [suthep] must have people behind him providing that money."

There have been a lot of "pots" calling the "kettles" black, lately.

In August a few friends of mine, students involved in the '76 revolt and now PAD'rs, Santi Asoke and Chamlong Srimuang- admirers in Bangkok, told me that the people behind the 2006 coup were counseling and preparing demonstrations and that they were "very good in guerilla-style tactics". I just can't believe why so many people here on TV are still denying the PAD involvement.

The list of companies and backers for this is probably very similar to the pad protests.

If I was a billionaire rice miller, slowly getting screwed, I might find a few Bob or two.

5mn a day. Pocket change.

Suthep is hardly the person to lead Thailand on the international arena. Doesn't he have warrants for his arrest? So when he takes control of the country and it's coffers what then, does he give himself amnesty and make all his wrongs disappear?

You're right about Suthep to a degree ... unfortunately the other side is led by a convicted criminal who is unwilling to come back and serve time or fight the charge. Suthep might not push all the right buttons, but for sure Thaksin is a more unpopular figure among the quiet majority.

Suthep is a fool and all he is doing is putting the Thai peoples lives at risk. There will be more bloodshed because of this dictator, who originally started this crap as a throw off for him and Abhisit were or were going to be charged for murder. If he was charged and arrest warrants were issued,he should have been arrested at this meeting by the Police. All he said to Yingluck at the meeting was that he wanted her to stand down from Government, by saying this at the meeting with the Military and Police forces there he was also in fact telling them he was taking over as well, that he was in charge and that what ever happens it will be his way. I see where Abhisit has not actually stated that he would lead the demonstrations if Suthep was arrested in fact he stated it was possible,that anyone could lead the demonstrations. he has been keeping his distance and will now keep right out of it as there have been deaths once again.

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes…. That is Not democratic. That is Corruption…and that is what the Yingluck Government is.

I am sick of hearing people repeat this nonsense.

My girlfriend and dozens of other people in my neighborhood NEVER received a single baht for their vote.

In the contrary, they spend a lot of money to go to the votes.

On the other hand, the democrat candidate offered a free ride in a brandnew Toyota minibus and a free meal to everybody that wanted to vote for him.

Stop with that partizan propaganda please.

Well My wife is from Isan and ALL her family where Paid to vote for the Yingluck Government candidates. You need to take of f your Red glasses and see what is really going on...

• Like 1

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes…. That is Not democratic. That is Corruption…and that is what the Yingluck Government is.

My girlfriend and dozens of other people in my neighborhood NEVER received a single baht for their vote.

On the other hand, the democrat candidate offered a free ride in a brandnew Toyota minibus and a free meal to everybody that wanted to vote for him.

Well My wife is from Isan and ALL her family where Paid to vote for the Yingluck Government candidates. You need to take of f your Red glasses and see what is really going on...

Work colleagues bragged about how much their families got for their votes in Udon Thani, and they got driven to the polling booth. Those from other Essan locations same thing.

• Like 1

Let's hope the thaksinistas meet the demands of Suthep. After it Suthep himself should vaporise, coz he's a bad guy as well. Then very perhaps Someone Beyond All Doubt or Discussion could encourage a good guy to try to set up a government for the time being. Surin perhaps?

Yeah cause it s well known that once you have the full power in hand you quickly give it to somebody else...

That's what happened after the 2006 coup, the generals held elections after one year and "allowed" a Thaksin puppet to assume power.

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes. That is Not democratic. That is Corruptionand that is what the Yingluck Government is.

Being honest can you say with your hand on your heart that elections in America, Australia, England etc etc aren't bought - prior to flaming look at it in the broader sense - the money flows in from those that want something and promises/commitments are made.

If you do not believe this then why is the newly elected government in Australia pulling down (or apart) programmes put in as sweetners (paybacks) by the previous guys in power.

Sadly it's the way of the world he who pays/promises the most eventually gets the power and the voters actually receive what they blindly vote for.

• Like 1

Many years ago in the Philippines the same topics were discussed and when I innoncently asked "how do they know who you voted for"? - silence was followed by the simple statement "we open the boxes and check of course".

This simple statement spoke volumes and in my humble opinion Thailand is no different to the Phillipines - corruption is a way of life, you can include the worlds modern counties in the fish bowl as well they are just a little bit more subtle or some would say sosphistcated on how they apply their "corrution".

In a way I can understand why they don't want immediate elections, after Yingluck's Thaksin's government hypothetically steps down there's going to be a need for spoon feeding a lot of "bitter medicine" to fix the problems they have created.

For example ending the Rice Scheme will not go well with rice farmers (even though most of the money does not end in their hands), whoever does it is going to be despised and would stand a very slim chance of being elected again.

In a situation like that, having a provisional government by people with no interests in having a political career may be a viable course of action, there are though decisions and actions that need to be implemented, unpopular as they may be, a politician would be very unlikely to threaten his career in doing so or may be inclined to take actions to further that career at the expense of the greater good of the nation.

In any case, curse the Shinawatra clan for dragging the country to this sorry state of affairs.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting. Specifically, to see the look on the face of poor traumatised Yingluck, and to read between the lines in the poker faced military looking on.

She should have taken Stuphet into custody pursuant to the warrant.

Why do people always say the government was elected? They PAID for there votes…. That is Not democratic. That is Corruption…and that is what the Yingluck Government  is.

Same as my wife here in Kanchanaburi except they happened to be paid by the Democrat candidate.

All parties in Thailand buy votes.

• Like 2

Suthep is a fool and all he is doing is putting the Thai peoples lives at risk. There will be more bloodshed because of this dictator, who originally started this crap as a throw off for him and Abhisit were or were going to be charged for murder. If he was charged and arrest warrants were issued,he should have been arrested at this meeting by the Police. All he said to Yingluck at the meeting was that he wanted her to stand down from Government, by saying this at the meeting with the Military and Police forces there he was also in fact telling them he was taking over as well, that he was in charge and that what ever happens it will be his way. I see where Abhisit has not actually stated that he would lead the demonstrations if Suthep was arrested in fact he stated it was possible,that anyone could lead the demonstrations. he has been keeping his distance and will now keep right out of it as there have been deaths once again.

Suthep's agenda has nothing to do with the country or the people it is all about him. He is using the people so he can appoint himself as the ruler of the country. Personally I believe he is dangerous and no I am not supporting Thaksin he still needs to be arrested and imprisoned for his crimes. There are a lot of good well educated people I am sure that could do a really fine job of running the country unfortunately they will never have the chance as they do not come from Hi So sect which includes reds and yellows.

• Like 1

Same as my wife here in Kanchanaburi except they happened to be paid by the Democrat candidate.

Agree my wife's family live in Kanchanaburi also, they were voting democrat anyway

Suthep is insane.

Yingluck gave him a chance. One more.

Now it is time to get rid of the criminal, violent and deadly nuisances he and his yellow thugs have created.

Yingluck and her democratically elected government can be praised for being so accommodating with such criminals.

Suthep is just trying to destroy the whole democracy. His blind followers should be condemned for supporting such a madness. The Dems will be remembered for having encouraged citizens to turn into criminals. All this because of their appetite for the power that they can't obtain through free elections.

Yingluck is far better at the helm of the government that such an extremist.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

From the content of your irrational post you appear to be confused and rather misguided. In a true democracy you do indeed have the right to your opinion and it should be respected, however ,to achieve this you have to ensure that your opinion can be supported by facts and not simply personal emotions.

Your perception and understanding of democracy appears shallow and biased at best.

There is little doubt, both locally and internationally that Yingluck does not possess the intellect,experience or knowledge to perform her duties. Furthermore it is common knowledge as to the manner by which the majority of of PTP votes were obtained which was far from a democratic process.

In recent history those who will be remembered for encouraging citizens to turn into criminals are the perpetrators of the riots in 2010. (the burn Bangkok brigade)

I am far from being in total agreement with Suthep however, overall this has been a peaceful mass protest by a significant numbers of the Thai public who were left little option or choice owing to the malfeasance and manipulation of the Yingluck government. As far as trusting Yingluck at the helm of this nation, I personally would not trust her or any of her family at the helm of a golf cart , let alone a country.

• Like 2

Hinted maybe, what is your stance?

What is your solution to this mess?

My stance is all politicians, democrats or Peuh Thai are crooked in Thailand, i do not stand for Thaksin but for sure neither the democrats who tried to keep for decades the rural people in ignorance because it served them quite well and needed a Thaksin to wake up...a bit

Maybe i m the only one here to think that I d not have a practical solution to this mess, however mass education seems to be a good start, getting rid of the democracy and asking for an appointed cabinet is for sure not the solution.

Rural people in Thailand really do not need much encouragement to stay ignorant.

They are happy to stay lazy and do nothing , the occasional hand out is all that is needed to make them happy.

You do realize there is problem with staff in Thailand not due to labor shortages , but due to lazy people unwilling to work.

You do realize no government on this planet can stop self education, and yet I do not see too many of them even trying to make an effort .

Try employing and working with your beloved so called rural people , it's mind boggling how so any can be that lazy and unmotivated, with no desire or ambition to succeed.

What planet are you living on?

How many rice crops have you grown in a lifetime?

Do you think crops growing is the only job on this planet? how many bricks have you laid? you think laying brick is easier?

How many bullets have you dodged? You think being in gun battles is just a walk in the park?

How many hotels have you run? you think running hotel somehow is an easy job in comparison to crops growing

How many sales have you made? or is mental labor somehow in your opinion is less strenuous?

Middle class must have grown from the handouts? not the hard work without much of holidaying

How is it that some farmers do well, sending their kids to uni while others send their kids to sell their asses

• Like 1

Stop talking in the past

times can change

My Thai wife and all her family from Kalasin voted for Yingluck

Now she is on the streets with her Thai friends wanting her out

You have to be blind not to see times are changing and the Issan educated youth of today are not the family families of 10 yeas ago

In the late 60's te youth of western countries (people power) stopped the Vietnam War with street protests

Thailand youth are just a few years behind the west

But times they are a changing

What was the situation in the lst election, may not be in the next election

But education is changing Thailand, and the days of currupt governments on both sides are comming to an end

Well at least he stands up for his beliefs

and unlike your hero, he has not run away like the coward he is

not just in thailand