Got an accident on the porch of the bungalow. how do ihandle this?

catweazle08

hi,

so today i arrived at my resort in ko samui and had to wait 30min for the cleaning of my bungalow.

they weren´t just cleaning the bungalow, there was also a broken wodden plank on the porch somebody took care of.

After the 30min, they said "ok, you can go in the bungalow".

i stepped on the porch. the new plank wasn´t really fixed (because not finished the repair), plank broke immediately and i fall through the hole with one leg.

it was actually really painful (because i had the backpack on) and i have a big and bloody scratch below my knee (size of a thumb?!).

later i asked for the management to talk about this. he/she will be here tomorrow in the morning.

the big questions are: how do i handle this wisely and what can i expect to happen?

a simple "sorry" and a smile won´t be enough imo, but i don´t have really high hopes either.

i should add, that i got a little discount for the room and paid already 5 days of the rent and it´s a 400 Baht bungalow (no fancy place)...

thx in advance for any useful advices...

a simple "sorry" and a smile won´t be enough imo

What do you want to settle the matter?

Seeing as you don't require hospital treatment, you're a big lad and have already accepted a small discount on a 400 baht a night bungalow, I would accept the apologies of the owner/manager and leave it at that.

Maybe one of the maids can nurse your knee [ooh matron].

• Like 1

Whats the excess on the insurance when you go home is it worth making a claim for a serious injury when you go home,you can go to the doctor here 500 baht and get a letter,but the only thing you will get out of the accommodation is very sorry sir

Explain how you are a travel writer and would hate to give them a bad review and how paying for medical treatment would be the proper thing to do and bring them much good luck. Say this while smiling like an idiot and limping like a war veteran.

• Like 2

I think he'll be fine if he's polite and smiles, and apologises for the damage to the plank. I doubt they'll ask him to pay - it's just fair wear and tear

SC

Think I would ''high tail'' it outta there before the ''plank'' lawyers turn up...whistling.gif ...................laugh.png

I think you should immediately go a find a solicitor and then head to the police station to lodge a formal complaint so that you can then file a civil suit in the local court house.

alternatively you could man up and go "Dayum that hurt" then get on with life.

It's farangs fault OP, if you hadn't of been in Thailand and not stepped on plank then there would have been no problem but because you farang then it your fault...

Repeat ten times after me and all will be okay...

"Mai Pen Rai"...

• Like 1

Explain how you are a travel writer and would hate to give them a bad review...

They all say that! When I've had similar (unjustified) complaints from moaning guests, I tell them to shove their review up their a**se. No-one who claims to be a travel writer has actually proven so :)

Simon (aka Basil Fawlty)

Jesus fxxxxking Christ there are really huge pussies in this world !, pathetic post, get you Knees brown and understand life.

Sorry have to add, a small scratch , size of a thumb, carrying a backpack room costing 400 a night. Enough said.......

That sounds all a bit kinky.......whistling.gif ...........sad.png

I say accept the smile and swallow your pride for being stupid enough to step on anything newly installed in Thailand without a little caution. Survival of the fittest and your being the yob that will turn Thailand into a Litigation horror pit that the west is.......

put some green paint on your leg and say it's infected. limp badly and say hospital is 2000 baht. crawl around and yell in pain......remember, you are in Thailand and this is just another backpacking experience. enjoy.

i see that sarcasm will probaply never die in this forum,

actually, i don`t have really high hopes, that anything in my favour will happen tomorrow, been there, done that...

pussy? hmm, i´m not wining, but it`s not just a scratch, it´s quite big and bloody.

maybe some free dinner or breakfast tomorrow for me... maybe

ps: big irony: i am a travel writer, but i will not "use" this, because THAT would be pussy....rolleyes.gif

i see that sarcasm will probaply never die in this forum,

actually, i don`t have really high hopes, that anything in my favour will happen tomorrow, been there, done that...

pussy? hmm, i´m not wining, but it`s not just a scratch, it´s quite big and bloody.

maybe some free dinner or breakfast tomorrow for me... maybe

ps: big irony: i am a travel writer, but i will not "use" this, because THAT would be pussy....rolleyes.gif

free dinner or breakfast you dont get that in jail,400bht.is that pr.night or for 5.it is self catering is it not.

myself say f.all is the best otherwise 5,000bht.for the plank plus-plus.

OK I can see you need to shown what to do here.

First of all my advice is the only advice that works.

Get your arse along to reception and start raising your voice and crying blue murder. Say you do not think it is in anyway acceptable that you have now been injured and because of no fault of your own. Demand to see the manager and keep up the fuss until you get him. Say, you know its not his fault and ask him what he would do if he had been injured in your hotel. Tell him face to face, what it is you want. If you want to change rooms, tell him, if you want to have a free stay, look out the window and see the pigs fly (its Thailand, no Toronto).

From what my experience of the Thais is never shout at them directly, they take offence to it, but its ok to get them on side and then complain bitterly about a situation and ask them (they like that) what they would do.

Raising a voice in Thailand is a good way to get attention, done skilfully you can get pretty much whatever you want if it is justified, done badly and your sore leg will be attached to a sore bum.

I got a free room upgrade because the sun was too bright through the windows in the morning. I had to even turn on the waterworks. They had never see anything like it.

I do have it my capacity to be a Western Winger of the highest order. Sorry but it does work.

• Like 1

Whats the excess on the insurance when you go home is it worth making a claim for a serious injury when you go home...

There is no serious injury and has the OP got travel insurance?

I was just making light of his stupid situation.I am sure he would have travel insurance,if he didn't get it he should have.I would say most people do

ok, here´s the interesting follow-up:

last evening i was lying in my bungalow and i could hear a conversation outside. my neighbor talked to a guy about his accident breaking through the planks of his porch!!!

of course i went outside and talked to the guy.

he stayed at my bungalow and had exactly the same accident about 24h before me!!!

the big difference was, he was running fast while breaking in the hole.

his wound at the knee is about three times the size of mine and he got 4 stitches at the hospital. paid 6000 baht bill and takes now a lot of medicine. it looked really really bad!

when he complained about the accident to the staff, he got loud and upset (not a good idea) which lead basically to nothing.

later, he told me, the staff at the resort where laughing about him and his accident (this was his interpretation of "something" that happened).

he paid already about 10 days in advance, so is kinda stuck here.

this morning i was drinking my coffee and writing at the restaurant, when the manager approached me and asked for my bungalow-number. he took the first step, nice gesture.

he told me that he´s sorry and that there is nothing he could do about it. he told me that he can´t refund money and that his resort is a small family business. he said the situation would be different in a 5000 baht per night resort.

i agreed with him and said, it would be a nice gesture, if he invites me for a free breakfast or something.

he agreed. i got my big breakfast for free (it was good) and during the whole conversation, we both smiled and were friendly.

handshakes at the end. the staff serving the breakfast were also very friendly saying sorry too and to be honest, it´s all good for me now!

maybe it´s not about what you do, it´s more a question of how you do it.

i feel really sorry for the other guy, he got it really bad.

of course it´s kinda flabbergasting to me, that the same accident happens again after 24h. they didn´t really take precautions after the first one...

400 baht for 5 nights? i thought the 90s are over...

ps: "catweazle" is the name of a funny tv-show i used to watch as a child. just brings back some good memories. although it can´t and doesn´t want to compete with the coolness of the nickname "streetcowboy".cowboy.gif

• Like 1