Why can't foreigners in Thailand read and speak Thai?

Braddockrd

I have Thai friends that grew up in the UK. They have Thai families and connections, including business connection and family, back here. Yet the ones from my generation (40s) and below speak Thai with a poor accent (Thais here pick up on it straight away - even I can hear it) and can not read or write at all. They simply have not needed to - in fact one of them, a good friend since my school days, is actively learning how to read, write and speak Mandarin - but not Thai, his parents' native tongue!

I remember about a year ago there was an article here on TV about the HiSo kids going to English programs at school not being able to speak proper Thai.

Maybe it's time Thais modernized the language. Vietnamese seem to do fine with their roman alphabet and tone marks. And spaces between the words.

I recently heard a couple of Luek Krung kids (8 or 10 years old) speaking perfect strong northern Yorkshire accented English on a viewing deck of Central Plaza - (Ay oop Dud, tha' can see f' miles 'n miles art t' see from oop eer can't tha'). And they spoke Thai with a heavy Yorkshire accent that I had to really concentrate to understand even a few words, as did their Thai Mother by all accounts.

They therefore couldn't speak English or Thai.

There was me thinking the Yorkshire dialect,was the Queens English.

I must of been mistaken all these years.

I have no interest in speaking to Thai people in general. I speak 3 languages already, Thai is not a good addition. Oz

Well said.

The things I would like to add are:

+ people I like to talk to do speak English;

+ there is absolutely no motives to learn a very difficult language not used around the world;

+ there is nothing to read in Thai language (at least for me).

I have no interest in speaking to Thai people in general. I speak 3 languages already, Thai is not a good addition. Oz

Well said.

The things I would like to add are:

+ people I like to talk to do speak English;

+ there is absolutely no motives to learn a very difficult language not used around the world;

+ there is nothing to read in Thai language (at least for me).

I would then add: None of the people with whom I speak on a daily basis speak English.

So far after 395 posts, it seems that, people who learned Thai, are happy with it, people who didn't, doesn't seems to be unhappy with it.

I'm happy to learn thai and talk to them in their language. Kinda fun and interesting. I think asians find it easier to learn thai due to some similarities and more difficult for farangs coz you have to roll your tongue.

To sum up because it's too hard and not worth the effort, especially if you are advanced in years. Well done to the bloke who wants to chat with the postman, I don't.

To he-ll with the postman, what if she doesn't speak English?

http://cfs12.tistory.com/image/35/tistory/2009/02/20/13/13/499e2dffd0c15

Edited by JLCrab

Well... as we insist on living in Thailand, it is MANDATORY that the Thais learn ALL OUR languages.

We aliens are far superior to them. aren't we?

(It is very strange that we choose to reside here whining, wailing, complaining... but leaving our PERFECT countries)

Think, think, think!!!!!!

Thai government gave the Tourist police 6 months to learn English about a year back whistling.gif , have they ?.

I am a TPV and l can tell you that most where l am can just about say hello......laugh.png

Being in control is something I like and maybe one of the motivations to learn Thai.

It's all about motivation. The guys who say they can't learn Thai certainly could if their life depended on it.

Just ask a waitress who ignores me and hands my wife the menu.

Having a Thai wife/gf that speaks good English can often be a hindrance in Thai learning. When I met my wife, she couldn't speak a word of English and we spoke Thai for the first few years. Now, we actually speak English more.

If your Thai gf doesn't want you to learn Thai be on the lookout.

I was taught French for five years, failed miserably, failed English and I am English. What are your thoughts about me ?

YET, I can converse with any nationality with my actions, my (hansum) face, eyes, hands, it works and causes a lot of smiles. ..........smile.png

Sticking your tongue out at people, giving them the finger, and shaking your fist at them makes them smile?

Wow, you're better at it than I am. crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.giftongue.png

Well... as we insist on living in Thailand, it is MANDATORY that the Thais learn ALL OUR languages.

(It is very strange that we choose to reside here whining, wailing, complaining... but leaving our PERFECT countries)

Thai government gave the Tourist police 6 months to learn English about a year back whistling.gif , have they ?.

I am a TPV and l can tell you that most where l am can just about say hello......laugh.png

I am sorry SIR, why not go some place where you could say more than "HELLO"

What ever TPV means... (the language of the "..."

Tourist Police volunteer..........smile.png

Most of the actual police can just about say ''hello''.

Sorry l wasn't quite clear for you. biggrin.png

Where do you want me to go ? facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Well... any place where you could have a super conversation with a "REAL POLICE" in YOUR language.

wink.pngtongue.png

Do you think as a TPV learning Thai might help?

I know some tourist police and they say all the farang bar one can't speak Thai. They'd rather not have them but orders from Bangkok make them.

Edited by Neeranam

Well... any place where you could have a super conversation with a "REAL POLICE" in YOUR language.

wink.pngtongue.png

Even if you spoke Thai, you wouldn't be able to converse with real police in this country.

(Unless they came here on holiday)

Yes, you would. Whatever makes you think otherwise?

wink.pngtongue.png

Even if you spoke Thai, you wouldn't be able to converse with real police in this country.

I cannot even understand the English here...

• Like 1

wink.pngtongue.png

I cannot even understand the English here...

Well, there you go, and you want us to understand/speak Thai............rolleyes.gif

why don't you just stop whining, wailing and complaining and resort to what i do, namely concentrate on wining, dining, living and let live?

• Like 1

You think red hot go go dancers swinging around a chrome pole, sweating and gyrating to the beat are talking about food? They are communicating and talking in Thai but it's not about food. When I go to the bank and the bank teller performs the transactions I ask she is not talking about food. When I go to the hospital and speak to the cardiologist we don't talk about food. When I reserve a seat on the airplane with the cute Thai counter girl we don't talk about food. When I go to immigration and don't have any problems with my visa extension we are not talking about food. When the policeman stops me for speeding we don't talk about food.

I don't know anything about red hot gogo dancers and their conversations. whistling.gif

My statement is on daily conversations, not when you are getting stopped by a cop for breaking "their" laws. coffee1.gif

That still leaves, When I go to the bank and the bank teller performs the transactions I ask she is not talking about food. When I go to the hospital and speak to the cardiologist we don't talk about food. When I reserve a seat on the airplane with the cute Thai counter girl we don't talk about food. When I go to immigration and don't have any problems with my visa extension we are not talking about food.

As an addendum you don't have to be breaking the law to be stopped by a Thai cop. coffee1.gif

mastering the medical terminology to have a meaningful conversation with a Thai cardiologist is without any doubt the most ridiculous posting of this thread.

cheesy.gif

next please!

• Like 2

It's funny to read some many comments about Thai people speaking only about food.In fact, asking if you have already eaten or not is a way to say hello, a way to show interest, a way to say something nice to you. The advantage of starting a conversation with some food or weather comments is that it makes you feel much more positive than to start immediately to rant and criticize everything, as most farangs do on this forum.Before to start an interesting conversation with most Asians, there should be a time to speak about food, weather, what you did today, how nice is your garden, what product you use to clean your car, ... Things like that. You just lose time first, with things that can make everybody feel good and smile. Then you can start to speak about other things.But many Thais just don't want to speak about serious things. It's just too boring. They prefer light hearted conversations.They keep serious conversations for their close friends.If you start to speak too seriously they will divert the conversation again to something nicer that does not make them feel bad. At the end they certainly feel better than the frustrated farang who could not unload his anger about his own life.Most importantly, many Thais don't want to speak about something else than food or weather with farangs because that's all these farangs can understand anyway. Why would they speak seriously with someone who can't speak their language and can't understand their society.I can understand the Thais who don't bother to speak seriously with farangs very well. Without understanding very well the language, and without having a good interaction with the Thai society, there is no way a farang can understand Thais. It's a too different world. A way for many here to become less grumpy would be to learn to speak fluent Thai and engage in light hearted conversation with the Thais. A light hearted conversation about little things of life makes everyone feel better. Those who learn the language and can interact with the Thai society understand much better the people they live with...Once a good friendship has developed it can evolve to other types of conversations. Serious and boring things can be discussed on this forum :DSent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mate, other than women 18 - 30, Thais have nothing I need. I would guess this is true for a great majority of us falangs here.

Despite the fact I can converse in Thai, you will find most Thais are simply poorly educated, of low morality, have little to no interest in anything beyond the superficial and have no interest in the world outside Thailand.

What kind of interesting conversation would one expect in such circumstances? Western and Thai people are generally incompatible. One modern and evolved. The other ancient and simple.

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 2

We go through phases in our brains ability to learn languages. My son, who is 7, has learned to read and write Thai in 2 years since we moved here full time. Although I speak Spanish and Portuguese, I have been unable to grasp Thai despite being here for 14 years and having a Thai wife for 11. At least for me, middle age (56) leaves me illiterate in Thai, not for lack of trying.

• Like 2

I wonder how many can sign their name in Thai?

I am trying to learn that basic now.

Probably less than 1%

I have a friend who has been here 12 years and doesn't even know the months of the year

Chang, often makes it difficult know days let alone months.

It's funny to read some many comments about Thai people speaking only about food.In fact, asking if you have already eaten or not is a way to say hello, a way to show interest, a way to say something nice to you. The advantage of starting a conversation with some food or weather comments is that it makes you feel much more positive than to start immediately to rant and criticize everything, as most farangs do on this forum.Before to start an interesting conversation with most Asians, there should be a time to speak about food, weather, what you did today, how nice is your garden, what product you use to clean your car, ... Things like that. You just lose time first, with things that can make everybody feel good and smile. Then you can start to speak about other things.But many Thais just don't want to speak about serious things. It's just too boring. They prefer light hearted conversations.They keep serious conversations for their close friends.If you start to speak too seriously they will divert the conversation again to something nicer that does not make them feel bad. At the end they certainly feel better than the frustrated farang who could not unload his anger about his own life.Most importantly, many Thais don't want to speak about something else than food or weather with farangs because that's all these farangs can understand anyway. Why would they speak seriously with someone who can't speak their language and can't understand their society.I can understand the Thais who don't bother to speak seriously with farangs very well. Without understanding very well the language, and without having a good interaction with the Thai society, there is no way a farang can understand Thais. It's a too different world. A way for many here to become less grumpy would be to learn to speak fluent Thai and engage in light hearted conversation with the Thais. A light hearted conversation about little things of life makes everyone feel better. Those who learn the language and can interact with the Thai society understand much better the people they live with...Once a good friendship has developed it can evolve to other types of conversations. Serious and boring things can be discussed on this forum :DSent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Mate, other than women 18 - 30, Thais have nothing I need. I would guess this is true for a great majority of us falangs here.

Despite the fact I can converse in Thai, you will find most Thais are simply poorly educated, of low morality, have little to no interest in anything beyond the superficial and have no interest in the world outside Thailand.

What kind of interesting conversation would one expect in such circumstances? Western and Thai people are generally incompatible. One modern and evolved. The other ancient and simple.

If a child of mine would say what you have said above I would wash his mouth out with soap. If a student of mine were to say what you did above I would make sure he was expelled.