66 MBs DL - True 4G

skippybangkok

That is 66 megabits per second, not megabytes. It takes 8 bits to make a byte. Divide that by 8.

You don't have 66MBps, you have 66Mbps - note the small case b and look again. You have 8.25 MBps. Not bad at all, but not great.

Your ping time is also quite slow which you will experience as lag.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

That is 66 megabits per second, not megabytes. It takes 8 bits to make a byte. Divide that by 8.

You don't have 66MBps, you have 66Mbps - note the small case b and look again. You have 8.25 MBps. Not bad at all, but not great.

Lol - a chronic OCD sufferer. Will take note to spell it with a little "b" instead of a big "B" and yes we all know the difference between a bit and a bite... ^%#**^%# , another typo .... I mean byte

Actually the "s" in second is not precisely as per the atomic clock in Greenwich so that will be off some what too.

From all that detail on B's, your missing the point. If 66 Mbps (little B) on a mobile phone in asia is still not good enough, then I wonder what is ? This will satisfy the needs of 99.8% of the population, obviously your the 0.2%

Edited by skippybangkok

At those speeds my 1 GB "unlimited" w00t.gif plan will be throttled back to 64kbps in a couple of minutes?

kinda..... but a 700 Mb movie is a 700 Mb movie on both 3G and 4G.

(so you get one movie smile.png )

Just kinda means you get the movie quicker, and no interruptions if streaming.

But I cannot help wondering what's the point in getting a movie quicker, if one can only do it for a fraction of the "unlimited" period before getting throttled back for the remaining billing cycle. Methinks they should raise the limits several fold (say a 50GB unlimited monthly plan?) to make them more attractive to public?

Lol - a chronic OCD sufferer. Will take note to spell it with a little "b" instead of a big "B" and yes we all know the difference between a bit and a bite... ^%#**^%# , another typo .... I mean byte

Actually the "s" in second is not precisely as per the atomic clock in Greenwich so that will be off some what too.

From all that detail on B's, your missing the point. If 66 Mbps (little cool.png on a mobile phone in asia is still not good enough, then I wonder what is ? This will satisfy the needs of 99.8% of the population, obviously your the 0.2%

"...your missing the point.." "...your the 0.2%"

"Your?"

Yeh - but with TCIP protocol used , not sure it would benefit web browsing a lot , but downloads / video's etc would be super fast.

What the hell is TCIP?

I personally see no benefit in getting 66MBs on your tablet on smartphone. 3G speeds are good enough for the run-off-the-mill stuff you do on these devices.

Assuming your device is LTE/Band 1 compatible, and you are a current TrueMove H post-paid mobile data customer, there really is no reason not to avail yourself of their industry-leading offer as it is FREE. TrueMove H have waived the 99 baht/month incremental fee for LTE so why not use it?

TrueMove H have said they will expand their LTE offer to 13 "regional locations", and 2,000 base-stations by the end of 2013.

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/truemoveh4g#pane04

post-9615-0-81250000-1386325298_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-99251800-1386325311_thumb.jp

TrueMove H have said they will expand their LTE offer to 13 "regional locations", and 2,000 base-stations by the end of 2013.

So they say. I should see 2100 mhz 3G on Bangkok first, which doesn't have enough coverage and now they want us to believe they'll bring LTE to 13 big cities (atleast city center with a few lte base stations) ?

Perhaps it is cheaper this way than providing full coverage within bangkok, pattaya, phuket etc.

Edited by muratremix

So they say.

No doubt that True(Move) is facing some serious challenges going forward not limited to losing their 17 million legacy customers (maybe not a bad thing) via their original concession, poor financial performance for years, lack of capital to build out their 2100 MHz spectrum, challenges pushing through their "Infrastructure Fund", debt downgrades...

They are contractually bound, by the terms of the 2100 MHz auction, to provide percent population coverage targets over the first two and four years. Failure to meet these might exclude them from a future 1800 MHz/LTE auction? So they need the funds from this Infrastructure Fund/IPO desperately as they can no longer borrow enough to cover those expenses.

Moody's downgrades True Corp and True Move to B3; ratings on review for downgrade

Hong Kong, November 29, 2013 -- Moody's Investors Service has downgraded to B3 from B2 the corporate family rating of True Corporation Public Company Limited, and the corporate family and senior unsecured bond ratings of its consolidated subsidiary, True Move Company Limited.

"The rating action reflects the prolonged character of True Corp's negative free cash flows (FCF), due to weak earnings from the mobile business and a high level of capital expenditures (capex). As a result, we expect its financial and liquidity profiles to remain under pressure in the coming 12-18 months," says Yoshio Takahashi, a Moody's Assistant Vice President.

As a result, absent any recapitalization initiative, the company will likely require covenant waivers when covenant tests on its bank facilities commence in September 2014.

Moody's estimates that this total is insufficient to cover its expected capex of approximately THB25 billion to THB30 billion and debt maturities of THB19.4 billion during the same period, including approximately USD5.0 million(THB155 million) outstanding under the USD465 million bonds due 16 December 2013 and USD10.6 million (THB338 million) under the USD 225 million bonds due 1 August 2014.

The company is likely to continue to depend on borrowings from the domestic bank and bond markets to meet a financing gap.

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-True-Corp-and-True-Move-to-B3-ratings--PR_287864

A bit on the True Telecommunications Growth Infrastructure Fund (True GIF): http://www.financeasia.com/News/366347,true-fund-starts-roadshow-for-148bn-ipo.aspx

• Like 1

Yeh Loma

You have been predicting doomsday scenario's about True for ever, non of which ever happened.

DTAC is well know to be miles behind AIS in 3G which in turn behind True

Enjoy the spotty DTAC coverage, that's not a prediction

Edited by skippybangkok

Yeh Loma You have been predicting doomsday scenario's about True for ever, non of which ever happened. DTAC is well know to be miles behind AIS in 3G which in turn behind True Enjoy the spotty DTAC coverage, that's not a prediction

How about the fact that True is behind of AIS and DTAC in terms of 2100 mhz coverage and base stations? It is true isn't it?

I'm using Truemove-H for 2.5 years and pretty happy due to large coverage advantage of 850 mhz, but it doesn't make up for true's lack of 2100 mhz 3G towers. Once AIS completes nationwide 2100 mhz 3G base stations that cover almost all Thailand within end of 2014, I'll switch to AIS.

How about the fact that True is behind of AIS and DTAC in terms of 2100 mhz coverage and base stations? It is true isn't it?

I'm using Truemove-H for 2.5 years and pretty happy due to large coverage advantage of 850 mhz, but it doesn't make up for true's lack of 2100 mhz 3G towers. Once AIS completes nationwide 2100 mhz 3G base stations that cover almost all Thailand within end of 2014, I'll switch to AIS.

And your point is ? Seems you don't understand 3G nor 850/2100 MHz

From all that detail on B's, your missing the point. If 66 Mbps (little cool.png on a mobile phone in asia is still not good enough, then I wonder what is ? This will satisfy the needs of 99.8% of the population, obviously your the 0.2%

Where were you running the test to? If it was the local ISP I'd expect it to be super fast because there isn't much by way of 4G customers yet.

Isn't going to get round the strangulation of international pipes is it?

And your point is ? Seems you don't understand 3G nor 850/2100 MHz

My point is you are acting like a fanboy in this subject and believe me I know every little detail about 850 mhz 3G and 2100 one (Although I'm not at engineering level like lomatopo). True is way beyond 2100 mhz deployment and once they lose 1800 mhz spectrum, we will lose 2G fallback option and there are still no-coverage areas in Cat 850 mhz network. Do you understand what I am saying? Who would choose to stay with True-H when Ais will offer country wide 2100 mhz 3G coverage because they have to (They'll lose 900 mhz concession soon)

....... and believe me I know very little detail about 850 mhz 3G and 2100 ......

I think you added one "e" to the sentence too many. I helped you, no thanks required !

ps. True 3G network is already bigger than their 2G - so why would you want that as a fall back ? The mind boggles

Edited by skippybangkok

I just saw an ad on Thai TV (Ch. 3) for the True Telecommunications Growth Infrastructure Fund, so it looks like they are pre-marketing this fund to the general public between today and 27 Dec. when it is supposed to list. (The BTS/Skytrain is did a similar thing earlier this year - BTS Rail Mass Transit Growth Infrastructure Fund, a fund backed by fare revenues from Bangkok’s SkyTrain.)

Definitely good news as this will give True the cash they need to build out 2100 MHz 3G/LTE. Bet Ericsson is happy. ;)

http://www.true-gif.com/

True Infrastructure Fund Seeks $1.8 Billion From Thailand IPO

True Telecommunications Growth Infrastructure Fund, backed by Thai billionaire Dhanin Chearavanont’s True Corp. Pcl, is seeking $1.8 billion in the country’s second-largest initial public offering.
The fund is offering as many as 4.76 billion units at 10 baht apiece to institutional and retail investors, according to terms for the deal obtained by Bloomberg News. Bangkok-based True Corp., operator of Thailand’s third-largest cellular network, will buy 1 billion units and hold at least 18 percent of the fund, the document shows.
Telecom IPO Would Be Thailand's Second Biggest
Thailand's richest man, Dhanin Chearavanont, is gearing up for an initial public offering of some of his telecommunications assets this week, in a nearly $1.6 billion deal that would be the country's second-biggest IPO ever.
Mr. Dhanin's bankers have started talking to institutional investors interested in buying units in the IPO of True Telecommunications Growth Infrastructure Fund, people with knowledge of the matter said Monday. True Telecommunications, which will be a trust listing, will be carved out from Mr. Dhanin's telecom firm True Corp., which is one of the country's top-three telecom operators providing broadband Internet, mobile phone, and pay-television services.
True test for Thai IPOs
True Corp is poised to complete Thailand’s second infrastructure trust IPO, even though anti-government protests on the streets in Bangkok have forced one equity deal out of the market. The telecoms company expects to raise up to Bt47.6bn (US$1.5bn) from the IPO of True Telecommunications Growth Infrastructure Trust, which will feature some of True’s telecom assets, including towers and fibre-optic networks.
The deal is coming amid turbulent market conditions due to mass protests against Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and her government. Despite the unrest, initial domestic demand for True GIF was said to be extremely strong. While there was some good interest from foreign investors and big early orders, no one was willing to sign up as a cornerstone investor and commit to a lock-up period. The absence of a cornerstone tranche is unusual for a deal of this size in Asia.