Most prestigious hotel in Thailand?

Fifteen15

I like Bangrak and enjoy the Oriental, everytime. It is consistent and if you know how to carry yourself as good as it gets. Not necessarily life changing but can improve one's focus. Enjoy your life. Bon Voyage.

What do you mean "if you know how to carry yourself as good as it gets" and "can improve one's focus"? Very interesting post even if I don't understand it :D

Although it's not going to be for a few months and I'll probably change my mind before then, I'm gonna settle with a 5* costing about $100 but stay for 2 nights rather than somewhere asking for $500 a night. VIE Bangkok Hotel is high on the list. Only $115 a night and really good reviews on TripAdvisor.

I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental way back in 1981...had the Noel Coward suite for a night.

Went out on the town, returned with a babe, doorman said she couldn't enter the hotel.

Tried a 10K Baht bribe...he wouldn't take it. Slept alone in a great "room"..checked out

the next day & stayed at the now soon to close Federal Hotel...no more cranky doorman

problems.

How much was the Noel Coward suite? If you must know...since you're crashing out in a

$6 buck a nite flop....you will never be able to afford the MO...not even for a single night.

Blowhard, a 10'000 Bt bribe in 1981 haha, the doorman would have found a way to get "the lady"up to a room

Contrary to your belief...no he didn't. End of story.

Anyway..the "Fed" was a much more fun place back

then!

Edited by sunshine51

I have had the high tea at Raffles that was enough for me.Had 10 nights at the Mandarin in Singapore but they had a big special at that time

I really like the buffett at the Bar & Billiard at Raffles....the feta cheese salad is excellent!

Amongst other items...

Everyone has different opinions of luxury.

The tour guide sites and fellow contributors here may have differing sets of opinions.

Make a list of your own ideas of luxury, then search a hotel which ticks these boxes.

Live your dream, not someone elses.

Edited by bumpkin

In order of quality, style, service but not price, based on personal experience I suggest:

On the river:

Oriental, Shangri-La, Hilton Millennium

Sukhumvit:

JW Marriott, Sheraton Grande, Landmark

Chitlom:

Intercontinental

I might add this was at company expense not mine! I agree with another OP who recommended executive floors for included evening drinks, canapés, breakfast. If you have more than 3 drinks it will cover the extra cost. Never pay for drinks at 5 star hotels if you can possibly avoid it. And get a suite too - not the most expensive one.

Have a good night in BKK!

Edited by bra

Although it's not going to be for a few months and I'll probably change my mind before then, I'm gonna settle with a 5* costing about $100 but stay for 2 nights rather than somewhere asking for $500 a night. VIE Bangkok Hotel is high on the list. Only $115 a night and really good reviews on TripAdvisor.

You asked in the OP for »...the best 5 star hotel in Thailand for one night just for the experience.«

I presume you can find a nice hotel for $100, but definitely not “the best 5 star hotel in Thailand.”

A great experience may be to check Baiyoke Sky, they often have some good 2-nite bargins at their website, and if you can afford the so-called “Space Zone” you will be up about 250 meter over Bangkok with an outstanding view. Their room-rate often include cash vouchers to be spent in their restaurants; they have nice buffet restaurants at the very top floors and using the cash voucher an outstanding dinner will be affordable.

Edited by khunPer

The Oriental may be the most storied and famous, but I believe a great experience can be had at the Shangra-la or even the Royal Orchid Sheraton at a lesser price. I satisfy my Oriental fix by having an afternoon tea on the restaurant deck, riverside.

Spent 10 days at the Sheridan Royal Orchid back in 1987. First stayed 4 days, went to Chang Mai, came back to Royal Orchid. Since we were a returning guest they upgraded us to suite for 6 days that must have been 1500 square feet. I will never forget it. Great time, but they would not let my wife and I bring a girl back to the room. Would have been a great night. Had to get a short time room instead.

The Oriental may be the most storied and famous, but I believe a great experience can be had at the Shangra-la or even the Royal Orchid Sheraton at a lesser price. I satisfy my Oriental fix by having an afternoon tea on the restaurant deck, riverside.

Spent 10 days at the Sheridan Royal Orchid back in 1987. First stayed 4 days, went to Chang Mai, came back to Royal Orchid. Since we were a returning guest they upgraded us to suite for 6 days that must have been 1500 square feet. I will never forget it. Great time, but they would not let my wife and I bring a girl back to the room. Would have been a great night. Had to get a short time room instead.

I see some disadvantage staying at 5-star hotel... whistling.gif

I stayed in VIE around a couple years ago, shortly after it opened. It was an enjoyable stay, we got a suite, it was very nice. But it is definately not the "most prestigious" or really even in the running. On the budget you are considering though, that would seem like a good option, I enjoyed my stay there.

For my money, the most prestigious hotel in Bangkok is the Peninsula. Located on the other side of the river, it has the most incredible view of the skyline. Transport is not an issue, as you catch the hotel's luxury ferry across the river to a hospitality lounge located on the ground floor of a building opposite (between the Oriental and the Shangri-La). There you can take one of the hotel's limousines or a taxi. I have stayed at the other four big riverside hotels (Oriental, Shangri-La, Royal Orchid Sheraton and Anantara Resort) and they don't match the "Pen". It has a wonderful pool area, fabulous service and is pure class. If you can't afford to stay (rates start at around 350 US dollars)t, then try the riverside buffet dinner or the afternoon tea in the lounge.

I stayed in VIE around a couple years ago, shortly after it opened. It was an enjoyable stay, we got a suite, it was very nice. But it is definately not the "most prestigious" or really even in the running. On the budget you are considering though, that would seem like a good option, I enjoyed my stay there.

While the VIE is comfortable and what I'd describe at best as 'funtionable'..it caters more for businessmen and airline staff than what you would call 'luxury'clientel..Also it loses at least one star from me due to the pool being across the soi in another building....big negative for any hotel let alone a self proclaimed 4* one!

In terms of the OP being after "the most prestigious hotel in Thailand" the only hotel that fits that bill is the old dame - The Oriental. Lots of history in that hotel.

If one goes through the rest of the OP, it doesn't appear the OP is looking for this and is looking for luxury 5 star hotel experience. Many of these to be had in Thailand.

Bangkok: The Oriental, Four Seasons, Peninsula, St Regis or The Siam.

Chiang Mai: The Chedi, 137 Pillars House, Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental

Chiang Rai: Four Seasons Tented Camp at the Golden Triangle

Koh Samui: Take your pick of any of the big players; Conrad, Four Seasons, Orient Express

Phuket: Again, take your pick, no shortage here.

After 5 months in a 6 dollar hostel maybe you should consider splurging out on a tent. At least you could take it home with you and have hours of fun explaining it to your friends.

Find a spot in the middle of nowhere, or even the centre of Bangkok, and sleep under the stars. The memory (good or bad wink.png )will stay with you much longer than any hotel, anywhere.

The principal reason you'd remember that experience would be the savaging by mosquitoes/bugs during the night!!

You asked in the OP for »...the best 5 star hotel in Thailand for one night just for the experience.«

I presume you can find a nice hotel for $100, but definitely not “the best 5 star hotel in Thailand.”

A great experience may be to check Baiyoke Sky, they often have some good 2-nite bargins at their website, and if you can afford the so-called “Space Zone” you will be up about 250 meter over Bangkok with an outstanding view. Their room-rate often include cash vouchers to be spent in their restaurants; they have nice buffet restaurants at the very top floors and using the cash voucher an outstanding dinner will be affordable.

Just had a look at the Baiyoke Sky website, some fantastic deals on there at the moment. A suite can be had for 3200 / night!

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1