Phuket boy, 14, killed in bus-bike smash

webfact

Phuket boy, 14, killed in bus-bike smash
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 14-year-old boy on a motorbike died yesterday afternoon (December 5) when a bus, carrying Chinese tourists on their way to watch the sun set at Laem Phromthep, ran into him on Wiset Rd, near the intersection with Saiyuan Rd.

The boy died instantly when the bus ran over his head. Two others riding on his bike were injured and had to be taken to hospital.

Witnesses told police that the trio had slowed down to turn right when the bus slammed into them from behind.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-boy-14-killed-in-bus-bike-smash-43263.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-06

Boy, 14, killed by Phuket tour bus
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- A tour bus carrying Chinese tourists to view the sunset at Phuket’s iconic Promthep Cape yesterday afternoon struck a motorbike carrying three teenagers in Rawai.

One of the three teens died instantly in the impact. The other two are in hospital.

Police arrived at the scene, on the southbound lane near the intersection with Sai Yuan Road (map here), at about 4pm.

“According to witnesses, the three boys were riding home to Rawai after their Thai boxing class in Chalong,” said Lt Cholada Chokdeesrijan of Chalong Police.

“The motorbike and bus were travelling in the same direction. As they both approached the Sai Yuan Road intersection, the motorbike crossed from the left side of the road into the central lane as if the boys wanted to turn right into Sai Yuan Road – but they crossed directly into the path of the bus.

“One of the boys died instantly from head and chest injuries. The other two were thrown clear. They are now recovering at Vachira Phuket Hospital,” Lt Cholada told the Phuket Gazette.

Police at the scene declined to reveal the names of any of the victims.

Bus driver Wicharn Jaruk, 36, fled the scene, but immediately presented himself at Chalong Police Station.

“He was afraid that relatives of the dead boy or other people at the scene would attack him, so he took a taxi to surrender himself at the police station,” Lt Cholada explained.

Mr Wicharn was charged with reckless driving causing death and later released on an undisclosed amount of bail.

“We have yet to close our investigation. We still have more questions for the two survivors, the driver and witnesses,” Lt Cholada said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Boy-14-killed-by-Phuket-tour-bus-22971.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-06

No crash helmet would save you when a bus runs over your head.. Sorry to say this and I know this might antagonize some people here but blame lays with the parents. Letting 14 year olds hack around 3 up etc. I'm not saying the driver isn't to blame but parents are at fault. I spoke to a farang on a bike today, he had his son on the bike with him but standing in front like a little kid (he was maybe 10) instead of on the seat behind him. If he had drove into something the kid would have been crushed if not decapitated.. Why do people risk their kids lives like that? RIP young lad, it's not your time yet but sadly this stuff happens all too often

14 yrs old , 3 up on a 2 seat motorcycle , no helmet, no license, bike registered ???, roadworthy ??? Full parent endorsement ???? Sorry but add your name to the list and collect your Darwin Award on the way out .............. Tragic but there is no enforcement of punishment which makes the populace have any thought of consequence of breaking the law let alone anything else blink.png

Time parents took some responsibility (yeah, right) and not allow their under-age children to ride motorbikes.

At the very least, to insist they wear a proper helmet.

Sadly even a" proper" helmet wouldn't have saved this kid.

No keys would have. Now the parents will all be pointing a finger that it was somebody else's fault. Today I could have wiped out 3 KIDS on a scooter doing daft stuff. rolleyes.gif Keys from mum & dad..........sad.png

• Like 1

Another tragedy on Thai roads and this time involving children how sad RIP to the kid that died and hope the other two children have a full recovery I would hope that the parents accept full responsibility for their children driving on a motorcycle presumably without adequate training or any basic safety gear for riding a motorbike.

3 idiots on a bike. Driver pulled a dumbass bone headed manouver swerving straight into the path of something a lot bigger. Happens here every day sadly. It is always sad when people die but I feel bad for the poor bus driver who will be deeply traumatized and have to live with the fact a kid was killed by his bus DESPITE it not being his fault, and full credit to him for turning himself in at the station straight away. He knows he did nothing wrong, but it could still affect him negatively.

• Like 1

If the parents had not handed over the keys to an underage kid, not legally allowed to drive, so never took a test, unlicensed, he would still be alive. sad.png

Sorry mate have to disagree with you here. Most of the kids I've seen here can ride bikes ..very well. Tested or not..legal or not is quite subjective. Underage...whatever. The young fella got killed because a BUS run over his head. Lets have a look at the bus driver, If the young bloke had a license he would still be dead.

Witnesses told police that the trio had slowed down to turn right when the bus slammed into them from behind.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

3 idiots on a bike. Driver pulled a dumbass bone headed manouver swerving straight into the path of something a lot bigger. Happens here every day sadly. It is always sad when people die but I feel bad for the poor bus driver who will be deeply traumatized and have to live with the fact a kid was killed by his bus DESPITE it not being his fault, and full credit to him for turning himself in at the station straight away. He knows he did nothing wrong, but it could still affect him negatively.

<deleted> read the OP they were hit from behind by a bus.

How would you feel if the deeply traumatised bus driver had just killed all your loved ones by running into them from behind??

Not his fault??

Full credit to him for running away??

And then turning himself in?

Confirmation that the aliens have arrived and are living amongst us

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

If the parents had not handed over the keys to an underage kid, not legally allowed to drive, so never took a test, unlicensed, he would still be alive. sad.png

Sorry mate have to disagree with you here. Most of the kids I've seen here can ride bikes ..very well. Tested or not..legal or not is quite subjective. Underage...whatever. The young fella got killed because a BUS run over his head. Lets have a look at the bus driver, If the young bloke had a license he would still be dead.

I would agree that young teenage lads here can handle a bike reasonably well but there's a huge difference between handling a bike well and riding in a safe manner, something which is extremely rare here.

• Like 2

The road fatality statistics on Phuket are out of prportion with the rest of Thailand, for many well documented, and well discussed reasons. For those reasons, another life has been taken, needlessly.

Of course, for those who have created the situation here, and for those who allow it to continue, all for the sake of money, all it seems to take is a visit to the temple next week, and their conscience is clear, while they continue to make money as people die.

So young - RIP.

I would agree that young teenage lads here can handle a bike reasonably well but there's a huge difference between handling a bike well and riding in a safe manner, something which is extremely rare here.

Read the OP again. They were hit by a bus from behind......could you dodge that on a motorbike...or any other vehicle?

• Like 1

Read the OP again. They were hit by a bus from behind......could you dodge that on a motorbike...or any other vehicle?

Yes obviously hit from behind but

Depends on which version posted you can believe tho!

2nd one says..;

“The motorbike and bus were travelling in the same direction. As they both approached the Sai Yuan Road intersection, the motorbike crossed from the left side of the road into the central lane as if the boys wanted to turn right into Sai Yuan Road – but they crossed directly into the path of the bus.

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 2

At the age of 14,it is illegal to drive a motorbike(if he was a driver).It seems like this accident and many others could be avoided by simply obeying the law and not allowing children to drive(parents and police).....unfortunately TIT!!

As they both approached the Sai Yuan Road intersection, the motorbike crossed from the left side of the road into the central lane as if the boys wanted to turn right into Sai Yuan Road – but they crossed directly into the path of the bus.
Mr Wicharn was charged with reckless driving causing death and later released on an undisclosed amount of bail.

I would not normally sympathise with the bus driver, but in this case, with limited information in the article, it is possible that the child driver caused the accident and put himself and his passengers in a position that the bus driver could not avoid hitting them.

If, as the report suggests, the motorcycle moved into the path of the bus, the bus driver may be blameless

Agree 100% and also a drive that fled the scene only to return to the police station obviously has nothing to hide. If it truly were the bus drivers fault im sure he wouldnt have come back. SOrry to hear the boy go at such a young age but isnt he underage in the first place? Plus with the amount of people on the bike, no helmet, blah blah blah... Also did he signal when turning, i find a lot of people aither dont signal or do it as they are turning as giving no reaction time to the drivers behind.

Obviously there is more than we know to this story but as of this moment im actually on the bus drivers side until I hear more details.

Yes obviously hit from behind but

Depends on which version posted you can believe tho!

2nd one says..;

The motorbike and bus were travelling in the same direction. As they both approached the Sai Yuan Road intersection, the motorbike crossed from the left side of the road into the central lane as if the boys wanted to turn right into Sai Yuan Road but they crossed directly into the path of the bus.

Yes, that was an internet report I read. There is still much to be explained here, so best all cool your jets.

A very inapproportiate post has been removed.

The road fatality statistics on Phuket are out of prportion with the rest of Thailand, for many well documented, and well discussed reasons. For those reasons, another life has been taken, needlessly.

Of course, for those who have created the situation here, and for those who allow it to continue, all for the sake of money, all it seems to take is a visit to the temple next week, and their conscience is clear, while they continue to make money as people die.

So young - RIP.

The road fatality statistics on Phuket are out of prportion with the rest of Thailand,

Presume you can show irrefutable evidence of this, not saying your wrong but i haven't seen such myself.

In this case ie a bunch of young teens,out on a bike is the norm, Thailand wide [and yes, i have extensively driven all around the country over many years] and i have seen it,so much, its nothing out of the ordinary .Up country you will see kids barely school age scooting around and often 2,3 and more on board..

Right or wrong in the eyes of Thai people,[and moreso the farang, who is not used to seeing this] this is how it is and will not change for a long time.

I have no doubt that this particular scenario [fatalities involved] is ,sadly, occurring regularly,the length and breadth of Thailand, not just on Phuket.

IMO public transport and/or lack of [as you are once again trying to lead into here] has absolutely no bearing on incidents of this type...Here, as in the rest of the world, teenagers are doing the same things., freedom,pushing the limits,thinking you know it all, that you're invinceable,enjoying non dependance on mum and dad..experiencing their new found lifestyle and unfortunately often paying the ultimate price...thats how it works...all over...

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 2

You can bandy this about as much as you like, but the fact remains that the boy was underage, and three on the bike. How many times have I as a driver, had to take action to avoid motorcycles swerving from left to right without the rider checking behind them? The kids lack any sense of danger and can be reckless, and too young to have learnt any road sense. I see them here in Sattahip every day heading back from school, three, sometimes four on a bike and racing each other. When overtaking motor cycles I tend to beep my horn to let them know I am there.Sorry for the boy. A wasted life. RIP.

Another tragedy on Thai roads and this time involving children how sad RIP to the kid that died and hope the other two children have a full recovery I would hope that the parents accept full responsibility for their children driving on a motorcycle presumably without adequate training or any basic safety gear for riding a motorbike.

How does that work, accepting responsibility for your child's death, no matter how he died. Committing suicide?

Observation

Signal

Manouevre

I would bet they didn't do the observation, didn't signal, did the dodgy manouevre suddenly crossing 3 lanes of traffic, then did the observation way too late as already three-quarters of the way through the manouevre, switched on indicator seven-eighths of the way into the manouevre then got hit and one of the three was killed.

I see it every day.

So young - RIP.

The road fatality statistics on Phuket are out of prportion with the rest of Thailand,

Presume you can show irrefutable evidence of this, not saying your wrong but i haven't seen such myself.

In this case ie a bunch of young teens,out on a bike is the norm, Thailand wide [and yes, i have extensively driven all around the country over many years] and i have seen it,so much, its nothing out of the ordinary .Up country you will see kids barely school age scooting around and often 2,3 and more on board..

Right or wrong in the eyes of Thai people,[and moreso the farang, who is not used to seeing this] this is how it is and will not change for a long time.

I have no doubt that this particular scenario [fatalities involved] is ,sadly, occurring regularly,the length and breadth of Thailand, not just on Phuket.

IMO public transport and/or lack of [as you are once again trying to lead into here] has absolutely no bearing on incidents of this type...Here, as in the rest of the world, teenagers are doing the same things., freedom,pushing the limits,thinking you know it all, that you're invinceable,enjoying non dependance on mum and dad..experiencing their new found lifestyle and unfortunately often paying the ultimate price...thats how it works...all over...

"Presume you can show irrefutable evidence of this, not saying your wrong but i haven't seen such myself." - we all know such statistics are covered up to prevent Phuket from a "tarnished image."

"IMO public transport and/or lack of [as you are once again trying to lead into here] has absolutely no bearing on incidents of this type." - really? Well, how about the amount of foreigners, mainly tourists, who die on Phuket roads? Do you think those stats are inline with the rest of Thailand?

Don't forget, I'm talking about, per capita, and if you don't die at the scene of the accident, you are not counted as a road accident death, even thought accident was the direct cause of your death.

Edited by NamKangMan