Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

The success of the interstate clubs over the last quarter of the century has been remarkable considering some of the problems they have faced.

While they travel every second game some of the Victorian clubs don't seem to spend a lot of time at airports.

The draft is always difficult, "will this kid stay with us?" is always a consideration. The further a club is from Melbourne the more thought they have to put into Victorian draft picks.

When the Eagles had their Cousins meltdown a few years back it had a few Vic people coming out of the woodwork and saying that they would not want their sons playing for a club with that type of culture, but in reality they did not want them nearly 3000kms away from home.

One of the problems with the much touted (by interstaters) reduction of the number of Victorian clubs in the league would be that you would have even more Victorian players available to interstate clubs that did not want to move there.

On the issue of traveling I don't think it makes a lot of difference how far a club has to travel, sure Brisbane is further from Melbourne than Adelaide but all of us here would realise that an extra hour on the plane is neither here nor there, it's the ####ing around at the airport that wears you out. laugh.png

• Like 2

You were still the team of the decade, you were just outplayed and out generalled that day. clap2.gif

It was the way they lost, went the biff, etc. that was embarrassing. Champion teams just shouldn't fall apart that way.

I was in BKK at the time, but friends who watched it in Brisbane at the public screening said that the people felt embarrassed.

Still, it's 10 years ago now. (10 years already!!)

My take on the game is different to yours.

A lot of people forget that Port finished on top in 2002, 2003 and 2004

so were obviously a terrific team. Brisbane were a team of aging champions.

To make it even worse, despite finishing 2nd, Brisbane had to travel to Melbourne

to play Geelong in the preliminary final despite finishing higher. The AFL had a deal

that 1 preliminary final had to be played at the MCG. There was a feeling that not

enough was done by the AFL to rectify this (us non-Victorian followers can identify

with this). The AFL changed it the following year but there was a general feeling that

the AFL wanted the Port to win their first grand final.

As far as biff, I clearly remember Josh Carr starting a lot of the blues and in a lot of cases,

Brisbane were retaliating.

If I were a Brisbane supporter, embarrassed isn't a word I'd use. Something like proud would

be more apt.

Well, I feel better now. smile.png As I said I was in BKK at the time and didn't see the game.

Thanks for that background. I either didn't know it or had forgotten.

Cheers

Xangsamhua

• Like 1

The success of the interstate clubs over the last quarter of the century has been remarkable considering some of the problems they have faced.

While they travel every second game some of the Victorian clubs don't seem to spend a lot of time at airports.

The draft is always difficult, "will this kid stay with us?" is always a consideration. The further a club is from Melbourne the more thought they have to put into Victorian draft picks.

When the Eagles had their Cousins meltdown a few years back it had a few Vic people coming out of the woodwork and saying that they would not want their sons playing for a club with that type of culture, but in reality they did not want them nearly 3000kms away from home.

One of the problems with the much touted (by interstaters) reduction of the number of Victorian clubs in the league would be that you would have even more Victorian players available to interstate clubs that did not want to move there.

On the issue of traveling I don't think it makes a lot of difference how far a club has to travel, sure Brisbane is further from Melbourne than Adelaide but all of us here would realise that an extra hour on the plane is neither here nor there, it's the ####ing around at the airport that wears you out. laugh.png

I was going to say what about the Saints having to fly overseas (Wellington) then I checked and Perth is actually 151 kms further from Melb than Wellington.

• Like 1

Maaate

It's a pretty well know fact that the constant travel, especially from the West is a drain on players and reduces

time to treat injuries.

Just about all of the coaches from Melbourne, Lyon, Malthouse and Simpson acknowledged it when they arrived

in WA.

It has to be managed as best as they can I guess.

Maaate

It's a pretty well know fact that the constant travel, especially from the West is a drain on players and reduces

time to treat injuries.

Just about all of the coaches from Melbourne, Lyon, Malthouse and Simpson acknowledged it when they arrived

in WA.

It has to be managed as best as they can I guess.

True, true, the point I'm making, probably wrong but speaking from considerable personal experience, is that the air time is not as stressful as the airport procedure.

Edited by sceadugenga

Yes im happy, to bad it wasnt on free to air tellie, and im not getting carried away, but i have been saying for a long time we do have a lot of early draft pics running around in that team, some confidence and an experienced coach is all thats needed to get off the bottom.

AND ive been saying since they interviewed Sheedy way back that we needed an experienced coach.coffee1.gif

Yes im happy, to bad it wasnt on free to air tellie, and im not getting carried away, but i have been saying for a long time we do have a lot of early draft pics running around in that team, some confidence and an experienced coach is all thats needed to get off the bottom.

AND ive been saying since they interviewed Sheedy way back that we needed an experienced coach.coffee1.gif

You can watch every game live and free on the AFL site. If you live outside of Australia that is.

You can watch every game live and free on the AFL site. If you live outside of Australia that is.

You also need good internet which I haven't got.

Alexrrr should be happy.

I caught a bit of the game and Melbourne looked like they were playing quite nicely

If you're a Melbourne supporter, you'd take anything I guess.

I thought it was a dreadful game, matched with dreadful commentating.

It will be painful watching Melbourne this year with condescending commentaries.

They spoke more about the "messiah" Roos more than the game itself. Every time Melb

did something that wasn't a complete stuff up, Lynch got a hard on and Dermie was,

well Dermie. David King is very good though.

Early days I know, but I'm still sticking by my prediction that Richmond will slide heavily.

You also need good internet which I haven't got.

I'll give it a try this weekend and we can have a talk about it next week.

Now I'm in Chiang Rai full time I may look at satelite options as well.

• Like 1

Well the Dream Team League has been filled.

18 Teams.

Entered TEAMS

This league doesn't have any completed teams yet

{C}
1114195.png

Chooka's Chiangmai Saints

1115052.png

Kooweerup Dogs

1125139.png

The Adelaide Blues

1132443.png

3 Highview Crescent

1137297.png

GrannysApples

1143734.png

Leonine Times

1145167.png

THEONEPERCENTERS

1145562.png

Ron19s Rotties

1147355.png

Chai Nat Nats

1151733.png

RIPS SWANS

1155945.png

Bookman's Recruits

1158462.png

SHERRIN SUPERSTARS

1162614.png

ROCKHEADS

1170848.png

brothers in arms

1191935.png

JUSTIN BIEBER

1209225.png

HAICH'S BARBARIANS

1222455.png

farmerjo's flyers

1223476.png

PEP-AOD9604

• Like 1

Justin Beiber?

Has the League been filled with all TV members?

Agree. As the administrator I can delete people. You had a great idea BOOKMAN in using your TV name in the dreamteam as it helped knowing who we were playing against.

What I want on here is for people who joined the dream team to identify themselves or I may delete them from the comp. Just say hi and I'm the ditwit dogs or whatever

• Like 1