Australian Rules Football 2014 - Tipping, Chat & The Dream Team

chooka

I tipped the hawks

See Will won the finals tipping on a margin of 4 points. Thought I had him.

Well done Will27

Thanks ripstanley.

If I was level with you, I would've picked the Swans by 15 points,

but had to pick hawthorn to have any chance.

Commiserations to our Sydney guys again.

Disappointing not to win but still had a year 16

other clubs would've liked

I hope it's not too early to start speculating about next year,

but here's my take on this years top 8 (as per the ladder) and

how I think they will do next year.

Syd: Expect them to finish top 2 again next year.

hawks: See above

Geelong: I expect them to slip out of the top 4 at Port's expense. Anywhere between 5 and 8.

Freo: Expect them to be top 4 again but will need a good forward in the draft or trade to challenge.

Port: Top 4 for them this year. If they get Paddy Ryder as expected, will be dangerous.

North: Bottom half of the 8. Can see them stagnating a bit.

Ess: Not really sure as the drugs case it still undecided.

Richmond: Expect them to miss out on top 8 this year.

• Like 1

I hope it's not too early to start speculating about next year,

but here's my take on this years top 8 (as per the ladder) and

how I think they will do next year.

Syd: Expect them to finish top 2 again next year.

hawks: See above

Geelong: I expect them to slip out of the top 4 at Port's expense. Anywhere between 5 and 8.

Freo: Expect them to be top 4 again but will need a good forward in the draft or trade to challenge.

Port: Top 4 for them this year. If they get Paddy Ryder as expected, will be dangerous.

North: Bottom half of the 8. Can see them stagnating a bit.

Ess: Not really sure as the drugs case it still undecided.

Richmond: Expect them to miss out on top 8 this year.

There are a lot of clubs around that 6-7-8-9-10-11 mark

Carlton

Essendon

North

Gold Coast'Adelaide

WCE

Richmond

I think North will stay in there. Probably get a couple of players in trading.

WCE, into the 8

I tipped the hawks

See Will won the finals tipping on a margin of 4 points. Thought I had him.

Well done Will27

Thanks ripstanley.

If I was level with you, I would've picked the Swans by 15 points,

but had to pick hawthorn to have any chance.

Commiserations to our Sydney guys again.

Disappointing not to win but still had a year 16

other clubs would've liked

The home and away year was great and making the GF a great achievement.

However, many Swans fans, including myself, will feel very let down at that abysmal performance in the GF. it was such a stinker that it detracted from all teh good work they had done during the year.

I wouldn't mind losing by 60 points if they looked like they were giving their 100% on the day.

Besides Buddy, tippet, Malceski, Kennedy, maybe Pyke, it was a dismal effort from the boys. Very un-Sydney like. Even when Freo mugged them last year in the finals they gave it their all, but were outplayed. They lost but could hold their heads up. The GF this year, awful stuff.

Sydney might have some issues after that game coming into next year. I have to think they believed all the hype about themselves and had already seen themselves lifting the cup, to play that poorly.

They could gain strength from the performance, or they could lose confidence, especially the younger players.

Sooner Melbourne or St Kilda take Reid off our hands the better. He can't kick any bloody goals and he sure as hell can't tackle.

Here's a bit of trade week news:

Paddy Ryder to Port Adelaide

Harry whateverthefuckwecallhimnow has nominated Melbourne as his preferred club next year.

Frawley to Hawthorn but Geelong and Freo not giving up the chase.

Malco being courted by the Suns? Didn't think they'd be able to offer him enough incentive to move north to be honest. Carlton might have a go given that Mitchell told them where to go.

Waite will probably end up at North after walking out on the Blues earlier today.

Dangerfield, according to the Dees, is worth picks 2 & 3 in the Draft. Adelaide aren't interested apparently.

Beams trade looks set to be postponed, Collingwood aren't taking pick 4 as adequate compensation for Beams. Not sure what else Brisbane can offer to be honest on top of that, possibly future first round picks?

• Like 2

Here's a bit of trade week news:

Paddy Ryder to Port Adelaide

Harry whateverthefuckwecallhimnow has nominated Melbourne as his preferred club next year.

Frawley to Hawthorn but Geelong and Freo not giving up the chase.

Malco being courted by the Suns? Didn't think they'd be able to offer him enough incentive to move north to be honest. Carlton might have a go given that Mitchell told them where to go.

Waite will probably end up at North after walking out on the Blues earlier today.

Dangerfield, according to the Dees, is worth picks 2 & 3 in the Draft. Adelaide aren't interested apparently.

Beams trade looks set to be postponed, Collingwood aren't taking pick 4 as adequate compensation for Beams. Not sure what else Brisbane can offer to be honest on top of that, possibly future first round picks?

I called up these guys http://www.fireflyexpress.com.au/FFNew/Index.asp and have booked a one way ticket for Same Reid

• Like 1

I called up these guys http://www.fireflyexpress.com.au/FFNew/Index.asp and have booked a one way ticket for Same Reid

Butterfingers to Melbourne for picks 2 & 3? Or a 3 way involving Adelaide?

Sydney gets Picks 2 & 3 from Melbourne for Reid

Melbourne gets Dangerfield

Adelaide gets Reid and 2nd round draft pick (22) from Melbourne.

Sydney gets Jacobs from Adelaide

Sydney sends Pick 17 to Adelaide in compensation for Jacobs

Here's why I think Jacobs should be seriously considered as an alternative to The Lumber Jack:

Sam Jacobs's stats for 2014 www.afc.com.au/player-profile/sam-jacobs

The Lumberjack's stats for 2014

EDITED for the 500th time due to link not working... <deleted>...

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

Here is an interesting video analysis (from two of GS's faves tongue.png ) of the Grand Final performance. Mainly the leadership difference between Sydney and hawthorn.

They give Longmire and the coaches group a big serve also.

Thanks for not posting the link khun BM, I knew you had kind heard ;)

• Like 1

Here's why I think Jacobs should be seriously considered as an alternative to The Lumber Jack:

Great work there GS. All looks pretty good.

Can we trade our picks 2 and 3 for some good Defenders? Even more needed with Malceski looking like he is gone

Pyke is middle of the road, always has been, but SYdney just signed him for 2 more years hoping a couple of the youngsters can step up and Derickx can fill in a gap when needed.

WCE can have Mitchell and they can give us a ruckman

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Can we trade our picks 2 and 3 for some good Defenders? Even more needed with Malceski looking like he is gone

Pyke is middle of the road, always has been, but SYdney just signed him for 2 more years hoping a couple of the youngsters can step up and Derickx can fill in a gap when needed.

West Coast have Callum Sinclair who shows promise.

Freo have also put ruckman Zac Clarke on the table I believe.

Am I reading this correctly? Pick 2 or 3 for Reidw00t.gif

Oh yeah forgot about the X Factor, not really an X Factor in the true sense of the word, but we shall call him that for now :P

He's a dud... Trade him with Reid... Tidy package, Adelaide should be happy with that. We'll take Jacobs and a 2nd round pick. Unless the Saints have something to offer, Chooka, what's the good oil down at Moorabin? Rhys Stanley open to the idea of moving to Bondi?

I don't think Roosey would go for it, but hey, stranger things have happened. I like the Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney threeway, that's got everyone covered. Reid for picks 2 & 3 would just be so vanilla...

:P

I don't think Roosey would go for it, but hey, stranger things have happened. I like the Adelaide/Melbourne/Sydney threeway, that's got everyone covered. Reid for picks 2 & 3 would just be so vanilla...

tongue.png

I reckon Reid's worth a 2nd round pick and I'll throw in a cherry ripe as a sweetenerbiggrin.png

tongue.png

I reckon Reid's worth a 2nd round pick and I'll throw in a cherry ripe as a sweetenerbiggrin.png

I prefer GS's scenario, but even a 2nd round pick is generous. He gets less valuable with every pressure game he plays

• Like 1

Last nights footy shows.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/what-you-missed-on-tv-last-night-fox-footy-takes-a-look-at-saturdays-grand-final/story-e6frg1xu-1227074557479

Interesting what Gerard healy said about Syd and recruiting

"AFTER attracting Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin in consecutive years, Gerard asked if the Swans would attempt to lure another high profile star.

“After all the fallout from Tippett and Franklin, they’ve been told ‘don’t go there’.” Gerard said.

“I heard that when Paddy Ryder became available, they were told don’t go there.”

“I’m just telling you what I’ve heard. They’ve been warned off.”

Mike Sheahan revealed AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick was angered by the Swans recruiting Buddy.

“They’re an attractive proposition for a player to go to,” he said."

• Like 1

Last nights footy shows.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/what-you-missed-on-tv-last-night-fox-footy-takes-a-look-at-saturdays-grand-final/story-e6frg1xu-1227074557479

"AFTER attracting Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin in consecutive years, Gerard asked if the Swans would attempt to lure another high profile star.

“After all the fallout from Tippett and Franklin, they’ve been told ‘don’t go there’.” Gerard said.

“I heard that when Paddy Ryder became available, they were told don’t go there.”

Mike Sheahan revealed AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick was angered by the Swans recruiting Buddy.

Jeez....Sydney gets a couple of big name signings...2 in ten years (since barry Hall) and the AFL world is up in arms.

Lucky the AFL has put Sydney back in its place, eh?

Last nights footy shows.

Jeez....Sydney gets a couple of big name signings...2 in ten years (since barry Hall) and the AFL world is up in arms.

Lucky the AFL has put Sydney back in its place, eh?

I read an article last week in The Age saying the footy world has fallen out of love with Sydney after the recruitment

of Buddy.

IMO, it's the usual tall poppy syndrome. It wouldn't be an issue if Syd were travelling around 5th or 6th on the ladder.

A lot of it is fuelled by Ed.

The article posted by Bookman a while ago showing recycled players and middle draft picks show Sydney are doing it right.

Sure they have COLA, but it is a lot harder for non-football states. It's hard for interstate clubs full stop.

The majority of free agency players want to stay in Melbourne. WCE and Freo have problems recruiting players.

Ross Lyon came out a few weeks ago and said "the travel factor" in recruiting guys was a big issue.

• Like 1

Word on the soi this morning is that the Swans are going to make a play for Joel Patfull.

Which brings up another 3 way trade to get this done.

Reid will now end up at Collingwood next year, with Beams going to the Lions and probably pick 17 and 4, the Lions will get pick 17 from the Swans and then ontrade that to the Pies.

Khun Will27 I hear your boys are interested in the services of Malco, please table an appropriate offer and I'll see what we can do :P

• Like 2

Word on the soi this morning is that the Swans are going to make a play for Joel Patfull.

Reid will now end up at Collingwood next year, with Beams going to the Lions and probably pick 17 and 4, the Lions will get pick 17 from the Swans and then ontrade that to the Pies.

Khun Will27 I hear your boys are interested in the services of Malco, please table an appropriate offer and I'll see what we can do tongue.png

What about Daniel Merrett and pick 4 for Beams?

Yep, I heard a WA side offered Malco a 2 year deal and the GC have offered 3.

Apparently his wife is from WA so that may sway him.

A real good player but we have an abundance of half-backs.

I'd rather get hold of Mitchell to be honest but it looks as if he's staying with the Swans.

Khun Will27 I hear your boys are interested in the services of Malco, please table an appropriate offer and I'll see what we can do tongue.png

What about Daniel Merrett and pick 4 for Beams?

Yep, I heard a WA side offered Malco a 2 year deal and the GC have offered 3.

Apparently his wife is from WA so that may sway him.

A real good player but we have an abundance of half-backs.

I'd rather get hold of Mitchell to be honest but it looks as if he's staying with the Swans.

Don't think Ed would want Merrett, though he's probably as suitable replacement for Lumumba as any.

GC have offered 3 and probably more coin, thought the Swans deal was 2 + 1 (performance based activation)?

No need for Mitchell, you have the reigning Brownlow medalist, at least that's what I've been hearing from down on the shores of the Swan river.

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about Patfull...Is he in the Malceski mould?

[

quote name=Will27" post="8459830" timestamp="1412051644]Mitch Clarke wants to go to Geelong.

Seems as if everybody wants to leave Collingwood

and nobody wants to go there.

Apples and Oranges really Khun Will27.

I mean go to Collingwood? or go to Geelong? No brainer really..

;)

• Like 1