PM Yingluck seeks House dissolution

webfact

I find it particularly depressing that the foreigners in Thailand should mostly support the anti-democratic yellow faction despite their history of seizing power through military and judicial coups and who are now attempting to do achieve the same result with a street mob. I can only conclude that these expats see their interests aligned with the status quo in Thailand as invested in the ammat. It's beyond me, for instance, that an observer can conclude that the factions are war here are characterized by corruption on the one hand and clean government on the other. The ammat have the overwhelming mass of wealth in the country, not Thaksin and his fellow cronies. Both sides buy votes and subsidize street protestors. Whether to the same degree or not, it's impossible, but to know, but the suggestion that Thaksin and co. bought all 15 million votes in the last election and are therefore illegitimate is ludicrous on the face of it. That's the sort of argument that only appeals to someone who has already decided that his interests lie with the rich, powerful, and undemocratic group in the country.

They no longer associate the 'yellow shirts' and this time its all working of life.

Everything you said above is completely the opposite of the truth- now thats depressing how a foreigner could support a fugitive's graft, nepotism, and puppet gov't. Too many brews and farm girls?

• Like 2

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not only the "BKK elite" out there on the street. It is also the South, the students, average folks with no vested interest in anything other than Thailand's future.

The leadership of the current anti-government movement are all 100% Yellow. Look it up. It's on record.

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to owe up to it.

You can start "owe"ing now ... when you look at the Network of Student's leader .... then keep going. Labor unions are not "yellow" and are associated with the former PAD in that they supported the PAD's stance on preventing the privatization of state enterprises such as EGAT for the benefit of Thaksin. (Look who became major stockholders in PTT after it went public.)

• Like 1

Thai PM calls elections as protesters fight on
by Anusak KONGLANG

BANGKOK, December 9, 2013 (AFP) - Thailand's premier called a snap election Monday to try to defuse the kingdom's political crisis, but protesters vowed to keep up their fight to topple her government with a major rally described as "judgement day".

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has faced more than a month of street protests by demonstrators, sometimes numbering in their tens of thousands, who want to suspend the country's democracy in favour of an unelected "People's Council".

Thai opposition lawmakers resigned en masse from parliament Sunday, deepening the crisis.

Yingluck, the sister of ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra, announced in a televised national address early Monday that she would dissolve parliament and hold a general election "as soon as possible".

"The government does not want any loss of life," she said, as demonstrators began another major street rally in the capital amid fears of fresh violence.

The election move could increase pressure on protesters to agree to some kind of compromise with the government.

But the leaders of the anti-government movement have said that they would not be satisfied with new elections, pledging to rid Thailand of the influence of Thaksin, a tycoon turned premier who was ousted by royalist generals in a coup seven years ago and now lives abroad.

"The movement will keep on fighting. Our goal is to uproot the Thaksin regime. Although the House is dissolved and there will be new elections, the Thaksin regime is still in place," protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban told AFP.

"My people want more than dissolution. They are determined to regain their sovereignty," he said.

Pro-Thaksin parties have won every election in more than a decade and despite the mass protests, many experts believe Yingluck's party is likely to triumph in new elections.

The opposition Democrat Party -- which said Sunday its 153 MPs were resigning from the 500-seat lower house because they could not achieve anything in parliament -- has not won an elected majority in about two decades.

100,000 protesters expected
More than 1,000 protesters began marching on Monday from a government complex on the northern outskirts of Bangkok to Yingluck's heavily guarded offices -- the main target of the protest.

Others were massing at other locations in the city to descend on Government House with tens of thousands of people expected to join the rally.

Thaksin's overthrow ushered in years of political turmoil and sometimes bloody street protests by the royalist "Yellow Shirts" and the rival pro-Thaksin "Red Shirts".

Tensions remain high in the kingdom following several days of street clashes as police used tear gas, water cannon and rubber bullets against rock-throwing demonstrators.

The unrest has left five people dead and more than 200 injured. The authorities have said they would try to avoid fresh confrontation.

"Police are unarmed, with only shields and batons. We will not use tear gas, or if we have no choice, its use will be limited," Interior Minister Jarupong Ruangsuwan said in a televised news conference late Sunday.

"We expect 100,000 people to join the protest. The government believes we can control the situation. We will focus on negotiation," he added.

Demonstrators and police have observed a temporary truce since Wednesday for the 86th birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who is treated as a near-deity by many Thais.

With turnout dwindling, Suthep has called for a final push to bring down the government.

"We want you to come out and march in every road. We will not go home empty-handed," the protest leader said in a speech to supporters late on Sunday, calling for the world's biggest-ever rally.

The former deputy premier, who now faces an arrest warrant for insurrection, has vowed to surrender to the authorities unless enough people join the march to the government headquarters.

Thailand's political conflict broadly pits a Bangkok-based middle class and royalist elite backed by the military against rural and working-class voters loyal to Thaksin.

The former premier went into exile in 2008 to avoid jail for a corruption conviction which he says was politically motivated.

The demonstrations were triggered by an amnesty bill, since dropped by Yingluck's ruling party, which opponents feared would have cleared the way for Thaksin's return.

They are the biggest and deadliest street demonstrations since 2010, when dozens of people were killed in a military crackdown on mass pro-Thaksin Red Shirt rallies in Bangkok.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-12-09

Well Well Well

The Yellows are in a state of shock. They wanted to kick the entire thing into a frenzy ending up in a coup today.

But now? The Lady PM smiles, announces a new election, and the air has come out of the balloon for the Gang in Yellow.

Funny thing is the Yellow boys know they will lose the election and thus be made to look like fools and losers. Not much losing face do we there do we?

I suppose they could try and attack a woman PM making themselves look like the low lives that they indeed are--likely going to the Hague for crimes, or they can simply keep moving their fat mouths spewing nonsense and be ignored.

After all, we have an election coming and the BIG mouth heading the Yellow is running for nothing. But he should be running because he is still wanted for crimes.

What bribes will be offered to the electorate this time?

What tricks does Thaksin have up his sleeve now?

How many Democrat posters will be defaced by the reds?

How many of the electorate will be threatened in so-called red villages if they don't vote Thaksin?

Will Thaksin still claim that he thinks and PTP acts?

Will Thaksin address the nation via Skype?

These and many more questions ...................................

Edited by ianf
  • Like 2

I agree with EmptySet re vote buying if, as most posters on TVF suggest, you mean handing a bit of cash to the electorate 1 by 1.

However, the local political machines do fairly well control local politics in a manner that very much is vote buying. They get paid to deliver votes and made promises of local improvements based upon the party making the promises winning the district. They have a great deal of power locally and do use it. The village chief gets handed a wad of cash, and told you will get a new water tower, or your roads will be repaved etc if you deliver your people. Note that the contracts for the improvements go to the political allies of the government in most cases.

This makes it almost impossible for foreign observers to see the irregularities. They would 1) Have to be reported locally and 2) have someone with the political will to follow up on the reports 3) have penalties in place that actually discourage this.

What is amazing is that some people still get red carded for handing out cash.

So what you´re saying is that it works in the exact same manner it does all over the world, i.e empty promises about fixing roads, new water tower, etc, etc, to get people to vote for you?

Except maybe the "hard cash" vote buying. But I think we all know by now that both sides are pretty much equally guilty when it comes to that...

It would be nice, but from 100% Budget money the people get only 30-40%, and when u ask where are the difference, then you get not Data or answer in parlament. The rest of the money goes in personal pockets!

And how exactly is that so different from anywhere else? The proportions might be quite a bit off in LoS, but other than that, it seems to be how things ´work´ in most countries.

Well Well Well

The Yellows are in a state of shock. They wanted to kick the entire thing into a frenzy ending up in a coup today.

But now? The Lady PM smiles, announces a new election, and the air has come out of the balloon for the Gang in Yellow.

Funny thing is the Yellow boys know they will lose the election and thus be made to look like fools and losers. Not much losing face do we there do we?

I suppose they could try and attack a woman PM making themselves look like the low lives that they indeed are--likely going to the Hague for crimes, or they can simply keep moving their fat mouths spewing nonsense and be ignored.

After all, we have an election coming and the BIG mouth heading the Yellow is running for nothing. But he should be running because he is still wanted for crimes.

,running from crimes???where to to start with your hypocrisy,go back to bed

I find it particularly depressing that the foreigners in Thailand should mostly support the anti-democratic yellow faction despite their history of seizing power through military and judicial coups and who are now attempting to do achieve the same result with a street mob. I can only conclude that these expats see their interests aligned with the status quo in Thailand as invested in the ammat. It's beyond me, for instance, that an observer can conclude that the factions are war here are characterized by corruption on the one hand and clean government on the other. The ammat have the overwhelming mass of wealth in the country, not Thaksin and his fellow cronies. Both sides buy votes and subsidize street protestors. Whether to the same degree or not, it's impossible, but to know, but the suggestion that Thaksin and co. bought all 15 million votes in the last election and are therefore illegitimate is ludicrous on the face of it. That's the sort of argument that only appeals to someone who has already decided that his interests lie with the rich, powerful, and undemocratic group in the country.

And it looks like you have fallen for the Red Shirt Propoganda, this isn't rich vs poor. Many of the Elite is Thaksin and his family and cronies. Many of the Elite support Thaksin, many don't. People in the South who are poor are against Thaksin. Stop listening to the Propoganda and open your eyes.

I was at the red shirt rally in Siem Reap, Cambodia in 2012.

I didn't see too many rice farmers but there were a good few well-dressed high-so's dripping in gold

• Like 2

Thai politics in a nutshell.

Bangkok elite has temper tantrum and throws toys out of pram to get its own way.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is not only the "BKK elite" out there on the street. It is also the South, the students, average folks with no vested interest in anything other than Thailand's future.

Hard to argue with people that suggest that the people in Isaan are just looking out for their future, but when government policies are viewed side by side. The Thaksin group has done more harm than good upcountry and the Dems' policies did more good than harm. Sadly, the Dems suck at getting that info out and believed.

Maybe, but one thing's for sure - they are far from representing a majority, as that national poll revealed yesterday.

It's simple enough. Thailand must be the only country with people on the streets demanding an end to universal suffrage. How sad.

The bottom line is that if the demonstrators had the slightest belief that their views were representative of the majority, they would be delighted with the dissolution of the house and new elections. It's that simple.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

First .. never take too much stock in Thai polls, particularly Suan Dusit or ABAC. Look at the questions asked. They did not ask about the stated goals of the anti-Thaksin movement. They asked things about the perceived dangers and threats associated with this political rally.

Your assumption about the "end" of universal suffrage (the right to vote for those that do not know the term) is flawed. The suspension of an elected government while reform is carried out is not the "end."

and finally, the stated goals of the rally has been to root out Thaksinocracy/money politics and reduce corruption. If they feel that elections in 60 days cannot accomplish that, then they have not attained their stated goals.

Please remember that I have been saying for days that YL should have dissolved parliament and resigned. That would have removed the moderates from the protest march on Gov't house today and greatly reduced the number of people that are on the way there now. She's a day late and a dollar short.

• Like 1

Seems like the divide cannot be cured without some 'meeting in the middle'. The 'elites' in and around Bangkok and some other, key, richer areas must figure out a way to better incorporate the marginalised Northern and Northeastern people into the countries successes.

A meeting in the middle is the only solution.

A good way for PTP to attempt a meeting in the middle is to make reform of the controversial rice pledging scheme an election issue. It doesn't need to be scraped and it doesn't need to be a sacred cow. Every single G20 country uses agricultural subsidies and Thailand should too.

In order to ensure its survival the rice pledging scheme will need to be reformed. This is what the voters will understand. They will trust this talk of reform if it comes from PTP. Meanwhile the DP will likely boycott the election.

The problem, I agree, rests with the 'elites' and their bourgeois hangers-on in and around Bangkok and a few southern outposts who have a very long history of refusing to better incorporate the general population of Thailand into the country's successes. They are being forced to change now.

• Like 1

Well Well Well

One, today's protest isn't a 'Yellow' only protest. If you have no understanding of who's who or what's what. then it's really better to do some research first before posting and looking not too smart.

Two, no one expected a coup today. What we do expect is a repeat of 2006 when there is a coup after the Dems decide not to contest the snap elections.

Three, the Hague war crimes? Really? Maybe you should stick to your namesake and just play basketball.

• Like 1

How many of the electorate will be threatened in so-called red villages if they don't vote Thaksin?

PTP definition of democracy is an elected dictatorship ,something that maybe a large proportion of its constituency are happy with but Thailand will continue in turmoil before many millions will accept their corrupted view of Democracy Edited by kingalfred
  • Like 1

Well Well Well

shall we agree that he should turn himself in with thaksin at the same time then all of us on tv forum can get on with our lives again..

• Like 2

I agree with EmptySet re vote buying if, as most posters on TVF suggest, you mean handing a bit of cash to the electorate 1 by 1.

However, the local political machines do fairly well control local politics in a manner that very much is vote buying. They get paid to deliver votes and made promises of local improvements based upon the party making the promises winning the district. They have a great deal of power locally and do use it. The village chief gets handed a wad of cash, and told you will get a new water tower, or your roads will be repaved etc if you deliver your people. Note that the contracts for the improvements go to the political allies of the government in most cases.

This makes it almost impossible for foreign observers to see the irregularities. They would 1) Have to be reported locally and 2) have someone with the political will to follow up on the reports 3) have penalties in place that actually discourage this.

What is amazing is that some people still get red carded for handing out cash.

So what you´re saying is that it works in the exact same manner it does all over the world, i.e empty promises about fixing roads, new water tower, etc, etc, to get people to vote for you?

Except maybe the "hard cash" vote buying. But I think we all know by now that both sides are pretty much equally guilty when it comes to that...

It would be nice, but from 100% Budget money the people get only 30-40%, and when u ask where are the difference, then you get not Data or answer in parlament. The rest of the money goes in personal pockets!

And how exactly is that so different from anywhere else? The proportions might be quite a bit off in LoS, but other than that, it seems to be how things ´work´ in most countries.

The proportions a bit off?

Did you pay taxes here?

What are the other "most" countries?

Thailand is in corruption high up!
That's why people are still on the streets now.

These morons should get their house in order before DEMANDING married retirees put double funds in their banks.

Good riddance and don't come back.

Thailand should PAY us to come here to raise the IQ of the nation.

If you think Suthep and his ultra-nationalists will instead accept foreigners with open arms, hugs and kisses, you are in for a big surprise.

• Like 2

PTP wins because of demographics controlling the largest regional block. Vote buying exists on both sides but it did not swing the election. It is just an excuse to demean a whole cross section of voters and that is why they cannot get their votes... their not that stupid to know what is being said about them.

Average IQ in Isan is 87. And yes there is massive vote buying that goes on. Just ask your Thai girlfriend about what happens

during elections back in her village.

And what cereal box did you pull that number from???

The Dec 12 2011 IQ result I saw was 95.99, far from impressive but not "87" or was that your IQ result you were quoting?w00t.gif

Smart move by her brother,

Wipe the slate clean, get re-elected, start a fresh agenda

It won't be an easy election for them... they will have to explain too many things they've done.

And it won't wipe the slate clean, Not for Thaksin nor for Yingluck

Pardon .... but you are making spurious claims about corruption in the rest of the world. The estimate for Thailand is 30-40%. The estimate for the world as a whole is 10%. The estimate for western countries is between 7 and 8%. (to the best of my recollection)

(BTW .. I did not say that the "vote buying" in the way of infrastructure development in the villages was empty promises. If the village chief delivers he not only keeps his cash he was given, the village usually does get the road or water tower etc.) The difference being that in the South these promises do not have to be made, it just happens. I do not know how much payola it takes in the South to get things done since the history there with the Dems is that they do it as a reward instead of as a payoff. It is a subtle difference, but a very important one legally.

I would agree with people that have stated that the cash to voters makes almost 0 difference in elections though. It is also not measurable in that it does not happen at the polling stations. it is simply expected and done.

Seems like the divide cannot be cured without some 'meeting in the middle'. The 'elites' in and around Bangkok and some other, key, richer areas must figure out a way to better incorporate the marginalised Northern and Northeastern people into the countries successes.

I think it comes through a radical revision of the culture in Thailand. The time of keeping the darker brown Thais/farmers/Issan people in the dark may be coming to an end. As they become more educated, relatively speaking, they will see more and more how they have been and continue to be abused.

The only proper way out of this is for Thais to acknowledge their deep cultural issues in honesty and in good faith and install leaders who acknowledge the same hard truths and work toward building a stronger -- MORE EQUAL -- society. That, or bloody revolution.

Ahem ......

The people of the South are not rich, consistently vote Dem,, are farmers, and are darker than people from Isaan.

Crippling populist policies are not the way out for Thailand. Sustainable infrastructure development is. Investment in education is. Making corruption an offense that is painful to those that get caught is. (Staring from the local cop/village headman to the PM's office)

Surely we are speaking in generalisations, are we not? Or are ALL the people of the south not rich, consistently vote Dem and darker than people from Issan? I used the generalisations to make my point which is largely in agreement with yours.

Education is key. Incorporating all parts of the country in successes or plans for success - whether it is infrastructure, education, tourism, whatever - is key. Building a more equal society economically but also culturally. Corruption is another problem that you correctly point out. Changing it is a monumental task and no reason for me to think it can be done without a severe forced cultural change of Thais akin or on the level of what Mao did in China or Lee Kwan Yew did in Singapore. It will be extremely difficult for Thais to change this deeply embedded part of their culture. Most of us alive today will not be here when it/if it changes for the better, I fear.

These morons should get their house in order before DEMANDING married retirees put double funds in their banks.

If you think Suthep and his ultra-nationalists will instead accept foreigners with open arms, hugs and kisses, you are in for a big surprise.

Suthep has often said "we don't need farangs - I don't respect them" he's a nationalist thug and Abhisit is turning out to be his puppy dog

Got to agree here. Anyone of us who works with these "elites" in Thailand (as I do and have) would probably admit that they are our biggest enemy here. They -- generally -- would just as have us all expelled. Mostly of ethnic Chinese background and not very keen on outsiders.

It's the country folk who would have us as it were.

I love Soap

The proportions a bit off?

Did you pay taxes here?

What are the other "most" countries?

Thailand is in corruption high up!
That's why people are still on the streets now.

1. Yes that´s what i said

2. Yes

3. Look at an atlas

4. ...?

5. What?

Suthep has often said "we don't need farangs - I don't respect them" he's a nationalist thug and Abhisit is turning out to be his puppy dog

So you haven't listened to anything they have said or done I see. At least they have the balls to get out on the street, face courts. Prolly a lot more balls than you have. Maybe you're envious?

Got to agree here. Anyone of us who works with these "elites" in Thailand (as I do and have) would probably admit that they are our biggest enemy here. They -- generally -- would just as have us all expelled. Mostly of ethnic Chinese background and not very keen on outsiders.

It's the country folk who would have us as it were.

You've been duped. The heads of the 'grassroots' are elite, mostly Chinese, are mighty rich. Consider thinking it through before you post such hypocritical contradictions.

Well Well Well

"The Lady PM smiles"

She's a one trick pony... That's all she knows how to do.

Edited by theoldgit
Large fonts changed
  • Like 1

So you haven't listened to anything they have said or done I see. At least they have the balls to get out on the street, face courts. Prolly a lot more balls than you have. Maybe you're envious?

I have been listening very clearly. For years Suthep has made it clear that he does not like foreigners and that he doesn't want them here. Any foreigner cheering for this guy will be in for a big surprise when the read shit hits the fan.

• Like 2