Up To You.

jvs

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It means, "your're paying". If you choose wrong it results in, "I'm not happy with your decision but I'll let you make another choice otherwise the 'treatment' starts". At least with my wife but hey, it's fun. All part of living a new life in LOS. It is hard for Thais to say no and "up to you" is a way of avoiding this, another angle similar to sitting at the head of the table, you are paying so the authority to choose falls on you. It is a courteous way of allowing you an opportunity to say they/her or he can have a say in the final decision. It is an interesting Post with some great replys.

how do you say Up to You in Thai?

From the link below: "laaeo dtaae khoon." [pronounced: lao dai koon]

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

The following is what my wife taught me:

Base word, meaning "['whatever' is understood] you want": gaae dtaae [pronounced: kadai]

khrai ('who') gaae dtaae: "whoever you want" [pronounced: cry kadai]

a rai ('what') gaae dtaae: "whatever you want" [pronounced: arai kadai]

gaae dtaae: slang, same as a rai gaae dtaae

meuua rai ('when') gaae dtaae: "whenever you want" [pronounced: moorai kadai]

thee nai ('where') gaae dtaae: "wherever you want [pronounced: teenai kadai]

yang rai ('how') gaae dtaae: "the way you want" [pronounced: yangrai kadai]

If your gf says "tham mai gaae dtaae" [pronounced: tamai kadai], she's asking you 'why' you want it or 'why' you want to do this.

Not sure where hyphens should go or if they're even needed.

• Like 2

It depends on the context. For example, if you were to ask a BG "how much for short time," she might answer "up to you." This means "make me an offer."

However, if you were to ask the wife/GF, "where should we have dinner tonight, honey," she might answer "up to you." The literal meaning is "make a decision already you spineless twit."

If my wife says it, it means she knows what I want isn't what she wants.

+1

Agree - this is the closest interpretation. I find its often followed by a brief 'silent' treatment period or I'm busy now moment, or I will ignore you moment. Maybe the unsaid text is - ' So you think you are in charge here?'

how do you say Up to You in Thai?

From the link below: "laaeo dtaae khoon." [pronounced: lao dai koon]

http://www.thai-language.com/dict

The following is what my wife taught me:

Base word, meaning "['whatever' is understood] you want": gaae dtaae [pronounced: kadai]

khrai ('who') gaae dtaae: "whoever you want" [pronounced: cry kadai]

a rai ('what') gaae dtaae: "whatever you want" [pronounced: arai kadai]

gaae dtaae: slang, same as a rai gaae dtaae

meuua rai ('when') gaae dtaae: "whenever you want" [pronounced: moorai kadai]

thee nai ('where') gaae dtaae: "wherever you want [pronounced: teenai kadai]

yang rai ('how') gaae dtaae: "the way you want" [pronounced: yangrai kadai]

If your gf says "tham mai gaae dtaae" [pronounced: tamai kadai], she's asking you 'why' you want it or 'why' you want to do this.

Not sure where hyphens should go or if they're even needed.

Hard to explain Thai in transliteration but "laaeo dtaae khoon." is not pronounced 'lao dai koon" it is "laew dtae koon"

Whoever, or 'krai godai' is not prononunced 'cry kada' but 'cry go die'

• Like 1

It shows that she is easy and will be happy with whatever your decision is.

No, it doesn't. Some people just say "Up to you", when their idea was revoked, before they get really angry, then feed the ducks..............

It shows that she is easy and will be happy with whatever your decision is.

No, it doesn't. Some people just say "Up to you", when their idea was revoked, before they get really angry, then feed the ducks..............

Speaking for myself, when I say up to you, I give you the chance to make the decision and I will accept whatever you decide, otherwise I would not say up to you. I will just simply make a decision then. It feels like you ask my permission to make the decision, so I say up to you meaning yes, go for it and I will support you. It is just how I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

So if she says "have to look darling, upto you" it means that I have to know exactly what she wants me to do without any actual knowledge of what she wants me to do, other than guess work based on what I think she wants, in the hope that it makes her happy?

It is generally accepted by the expat community in Indonesia that it means No as it is impolite to actually say No.

I always thought in Thailand it was more of a "I cant make a decision" thing.

It is. Did you know that 50% of the Thai language relates to expressions of indifference?

I find that hard to believe. Do you have a link? Or did you make it up and it's supposed to be funny?

It's a well known fact that 58.7% of statistics are made up on the spot with absolutely no supporting evidencebiggrin.png

• Like 1