Help, advice required as I'm retiring to Thailand

Hello everyone,

I'm a new Forum member, 63 years young, and if I'm spared, I hope to retire to Thailand within a year.

My Wife is Thai, and we'll be moving to the Chaiya Phum area.

Right now we live in Glasgow, and come April/May, I'll be selling our home and getting everything organised to move to Thailand.

I need good advice re. what Visa to apply for via the Vice-Consulate in Glasgow.

Retirement Visa/ Multiple entry/exit Visa, Marriage Visa ??????.

Without being arrogant, can I say that I can satisfy the financial requirements of the Thai Govt. re. obtaining a Visa.

Please advise me.

Many Thanks.

I

• Like 1

To answer your questions, I need a little information from you first:

If and when you arrive in Thailand, will you have a substantial amount of savings to cover yourself and your wife if the events of medical expenses and for a rainy day after you have purchased a property and a vehicle in Thailand?

Is the home you plan to sell in the UK in joint names with yourself and your wife?

How long has your Thai wife lived in the UK?

Will your present pension cover your monthly Thailand living expenditure, a minimum of at least 35000 baht per month?

I am not trying to pry into your private live, and have good reasons for asking these questions, as will become clear later on.

You should get a single entry non-o based upon your marriage to a Thai from the consulate. You will need your marriage certificate (translated to english possibly) and copy of wife's Thai passport.

Then after getting here during the last 30 days of visa entry apply for an extension of stay at immigration.

Marriage extension financial proof is 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 60 days or income of 40k baht proven by letter from embassy.

Retirement extension 800k baht in bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

It is your choice which extension you get. You will have people tell you that the marriage extension is harder to get but you have to ask yourself is it worth the extra financial proof to get the retirement. I have done 6 extensions based upon marriage to my Thai wife and can tell you that it is not worth it to me.

Good luck to you. You probably should opt for retirement extension, which requires 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months first time and 3 months in subsequent years.

If married to a Thai which you seem to be, only 400,000 baht is required, or also you can get a form from your embassy showing an income of 65,000 baht per month.

Please don't buy a house or condo immediately --- rent something for 3 months and decide then.

Welcome.

Buying immediately is ok. Its not like this fella met the girl last night in a BAR...........lol.

• Like 1

Hi

I am no expert but being over 50 years old entitles you to a retirement visa, which is renewed yearly.

As for moving from Glasgow to Thailand, all the best I have now been here for nearly 4 years and it works for me, lots of positives about living here , and I must say the warm climate agrees with my old bones.

All the best

Robert

Good luck to you. You probably should opt for retirement extension, which requires 800,000 baht in the bank for 2 months first time and 3 months in subsequent years.

If married to a Thai which you seem to be, only 400,000 baht is required, or also you can get a form from your embassy showing an income of 65,000 baht per month.

Please don't buy a house or condo immediately --- rent something for 3 months and decide then.

Welcome.

To the OP. That is good advice, although the marriage visa is only half the cost of the retirement one, it is a lot more hassle, anyway, good luck from a fellow Scot.

Welcome.

You can only apply for a retirement extension on an existing visa.

It's probably just as easy to get a 1 year Non Immigrant 'O' visa as it would a tourist visa at your nearest consulate (don't even think about the London Embassy.

When the time comes you can apply for an extension based on retirement, or marriage to a Thai spouse.

I am on retirement extensions and the consensus on the forum seems that is a better route. I am not 'legally' married so not qualified to comment further.

Depending on your financial requirements, if you don't want to bring money to Thailand for a while you could get an O/A visa there The money could remain in your bank and you could transfer as required. With a 1 year O/A you get 1 year to stay on each entry and if you make an entry on the last day the visa is valid you get another year effectively getting 2 years from the 1 year visa. If you do this a medical checkup and police clearance are required, they are not if you do the 1 year extension of a Non-O in Thailand.

The best advice is: DO NOT DO IT

Do not retire to Thailand?

Do not buy real estate on arrival?

Do not put any purchases in your wife's name?

Do not do what, specifically?

It's an international coalition of Nattering Nabobs of Negativism who are against anyone doing it. If you ask any of the people in the photo what "it" is you'll just get a vague, gaseous, drooly smile as shown by the blonde guy towards the back.

dontdoit.jpg

I wo0uld rent the house in Glasgow, to provide extra income and a fall back position. Rent for a while, maybe in different areas, beach or mountains? See how you get on with Thais and their culture - not quite the same as being married to one! The visa is actually the least of your problems, if you have a few bob, and plenty of good advice on here about that.Keep your options open mon, This can be heaven or this can be hell. Even after 8years here I keep a "go" bag ready! Never lend money, quickest way to lose friends or alienate family.

That said, I wish you all the best of luck and a long and happy retirement

"Never lend money..."

You're giving this advice to a Scot?

MercuryThrifty3.jpg

• Like 1

I believe that it is better to rent for at least one year..to settle in...familiarize yourself and relax into the lifestyle. Any issues...good and bad will slowly surface in this time and allow you to adjust your plans. We have all been guilty of making hasty decisions which can have long lasting consequences.

• Like 1

I agree to rent first is best, and especially up country. Be sure you like the community, and that adequate medical care is available nearby. Also, is there a expat community, good shopping, interesting activities, etc?

When buying land, be sure you get a chanote deed. Any other deed is MUCH more risky.

I had my wife give me a 30-year prepaid lease which was registered at the land offer and entered on back of the chanote. If not registered, it is only good for 3 years. I fully trust my wife. but if she is killed in an accident or died from an illness, I can continue to live in our house until the lease expires at my age 95. Not worried after that!

Finally, don't cancel all you credit cards. It can be difficult or impossible for farangs to get credit cards in Thailand. Keep a couple for emergencies, foreign travel, and so on.

I wish you welcomed to LOS and good luck.

I made an early retirement here almost eight years ago, after many visits and been trying to staying for longer periods.

A non-immigrant O Visa single or multiple entries will do it. If you can afford it, I agree with above posters about using the retirement visa extension, as it is simpler than visa extension based on marriage. Best is to keep 800k bath in a fixed savings account (your name only) all the time, where you can obtain a high interest (typically 2½ to 3 pa).

The first few month you may be covered by a travel insurance, but when applying for retirement or marriage visa extension after approximately three month you need to consider a health & PA insurance and/or back-up saving for both health and unforeseen expenses. Furthermore you may need a Thai driver license if you are driving a vehicle.

I fully agree with posters recommending you to rent a home for some time before investing in property; unless of course you already are very familiar with the area you wish to settle in and have some idea of what you want, and of course know the risks about investing in land & house in Thailand. Property may be in your wife’s name (at least the land, you can own the house only). There are ways you can secure you interest to some degree.

There has recently been a thread in this Forum about moving households in a container from Britain, which may be of interest for you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679878-shipping-a-container-to-los-from-uk/

If any questions come up I am sure the Forum members who has already done the move will be happy to assist you.

Where is the wife from?

Never yet met a Thai who didnt want to go back to the village, they are like homing pigeons.

Depending on where the wife is from may well dictate as to whether you live there or not.

Keep the house back home and rent it out, do the same here for at least 2 years, travel around the country to find a place you enjoy.

Met a jock last year who was heading back to Jockland, he was living up near Sakon Nakorn, it did his head in, boredom and family living on top of him, never any privacy, the constant demands for money etc etc.

You had better make sure you and your mrs are singing from the same hymn sheet before coming here.

• Like 2

malagateddy

2013-12-09 23

Hello everyone,

I'm a new Forum member, 63 years young, and if I'm spared, I hope to retire to Thailand within a year.

My Wife is Thai, and we'll be moving to the Chaiya Phum area.

Right now we live in Glasgow, and come April/May, I'll be selling our home and getting everything organised to move to Thailand.

I need good advice re. what Visa to apply for via the Vice-Consulate in Glasgow.

Retirement Visa/ Multiple entry/exit Visa, Marriage Visa ??????.

Without being arrogant, can I say that I can satisfy the financial requirements of the Thai Govt. re. obtaining a Visa.

Please advise me.

Many Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just want to say to you...... Just dare to do it....... and welcome to Chaiyaphum, a really nice place where I have been living now for 6 years.

Nice people, both falangs and thais.....And nice surroundings.....and best of all.... it is some 500 km away from the hellhole called Pattaya and

340 km away from the other one called Bangkok

welcome

Glegolo

Many Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me. My wife has now lived in Glasgow for 7 years. I've not been over in Thailand since April '08, although my wife went Thai every year, visiting family.

Although I do not need to sell our Glasgow flat( which is in my name only), to get the finance to satisfy the Thai powers that be, I want to make a clean break and move to Thailand. I'm '' going thro' the motions '' now living in the U.K., I want away. I've lived in a city for 63 years, and I honestly look forward to a quieter village life.

My health is fairly good, The village outside Chaiya Phum has quite a few ex-pats, so I'll '' not be stuck ''. I also want to travel around Thailand a little bit.

,My wife owns land in the village, and my intention is to build a nice home, get a set of wheels, and generally relax and see out my days in the sun.

I'm certainly '' taking on board '' all the advice you're giving me, and will continue to do so.

Can you please fully explain '' THE CHANOTE DEED '' , also the '' 30 YEAR PREPAID LEASE ''.

What is an O/A visa? a non-immigrant '' O '' visa? etc.... it's a wee bit of a '' mine-field '' to me, all the various visas.

Re finance, I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok.

I've some cash in my Bangkok Bank A/C, and my wife also banks with Bangkok Bank..Do Barclays and Bangkok bank '' link '' in Thailand?

My intention is to use internet banking, moving money from Glasgow as reqd.??? I've a small private monthly pension that pays into my Glasgow A/c. Please advice re. what's best for me.

How do I go about getting my state pension when I'm 65?

Does anyone know where the nearest Immigration Office is to Chaiya Phum?

I'll be making a Thai Will as a priority.

Once again, Many Thanks for your continuing advice and help.

Many Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to me. My wife has now lived in Glasgow for 7 years. I've not been over in Thailand since April '08, although my wife went Thai every year, visiting family.

Although I do not need to sell our Glasgow flat( which is in my name only), to get the finance to satisfy the Thai powers that be, I want to make a clean break and move to Thailand. I'm '' going thro' the motions '' now living in the U.K., I want away. I've lived in a city for 63 years, and I honestly look forward to a quieter village life.

My health is fairly good, The village outside Chaiya Phum has quite a few ex-pats, so I'll '' not be stuck ''. I also want to travel around Thailand a little bit.

,My wife owns land in the village, and my intention is to build a nice home, get a set of wheels, and generally relax and see out my days in the sun.

I'm certainly '' taking on board '' all the advice you're giving me, and will continue to do so.

Can you please fully explain '' THE CHANOTE DEED '' , also the '' 30 YEAR PREPAID LEASE ''.

What is an O/A visa? a non-immigrant '' O '' visa? etc.... it's a wee bit of a '' mine-field '' to me, all the various visas.

Re finance, I'm with Barclays in Glasgow and my intension is to get a letter of introduction from Glasgow and open an A/C with Barclays in Bangkok.

I've some cash in my Bangkok Bank A/C, and my wife also banks with Bangkok Bank..Do Barclays and Bangkok bank '' link '' in Thailand?

My intention is to use internet banking, moving money from Glasgow as reqd.??? I've a small private monthly pension that pays into my Glasgow A/c. Please advice re. what's best for me.

How do I go about getting my state pension when I'm 65?

Does anyone know where the nearest Immigration Office is to Chaiya Phum?

I'll be making a Thai Will as a priority.

Once again, Many Thanks for your continuing advice and help.

Not the nearest, but the one you "belong" to is Khon Kaen... If you need any help or info about Chaiyaphum, plse just ask. I live there in Nong Nasaeng....

Glegolo