Why are so many foreigners backing Suthep?

kawaiimomo

Suthep-->fascist??

Democratically elected government??

Suthep involved in corruption?? Proof? Since 1995 no one could find anything.

The taxes are spend on the farmers --> so they are well off now??

Are we speaking about the same country?

• Like 1

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most so called foreigners living in Thailand hate Thaksins guts because when he was prime minister he made the visa rules more strict to stay long term in Thailand specially for people living on fixed income from abroad and border runners and people living long term in Thailand on back to back tourist visas and working illegally in the country as dive instructers or whatever.

Remember a few years ago when most foreign currency's fell to the baht it was mass exodus for these kind of people to cambodja and vietnam.

When reading most topics concerning the political problems a lot of posters don't wont this country to prosper because they would like nothing else then to see the Baht take a nose dive so they can stay here cheaply and take advantage of cheap woman.

Quite pathetic really.

Even the satire website notthenation has taken the piss with these of kind of thaivisa barstool experts many times already.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

And Abhisit.

Answer = not so many, but those few who do:

1) (indubitable) Ignorance

2) (outstanding) Stupidity

3) (unfounded) Superiority

Should we care?

Possibly, because they have influence but best not care too much cuz they can't really change anything very quickly (not in the remains of my lifetime, I'd wager).

• Like 1

.... Why are there so many people in the US think gasoline is too expensive ......

Maybe because they never been to Europe and experienced how

expensive gasoline is, if it's NOT subsidised by the government?

IMHO.........Thais are not yet mature or disciplined enough for a true democracy and they are better off with a 'strongman' as their leader. Yeah, there was a lot of collateral damage with the last strongman that they ousted, but compare that damage with the opposition's ongoing disruptions....................But, what do I know, I'm just another stupid falang that shouldn't be involved in Thai politics.

What is true democracy anyway? Do you think america is more mature in terms of democracy when there is a large amount of rich bussiness men taking a lot of benefit from agricultural subsidy in the US? What the difference between thai government paying for the rice from thai farmer more than its worth and the agricultural subsidy program? Why are there so many people in the US think gasoline is too expensive and why doesn't the government do something about it?

The problem is not about disciplined or mature but basic knowledge in economy and democracy. If you wanna talk about discipline, I'm willing to bet there are ten of thousands of Thai kids who are more discipline than you are.

I'm not really sure, why do people always quote the US or Britain in discussions about democracies?

From my understanding, the US has never been a true, real democracy but a "Representative Republic"

which is probably the next best thing to a democracy.

In the US or the UK (and many other "democracies") they practice an indirect democracy. That means

they vote to decide which people get to decide what the government should do. Those countries usually

have a President or Prime Minister in charge with or without veto rights. In some of those countries people

choose their leaders directly, in others, they are chosen by political entities the people voted for. In those

countries it's the government who decides if you can vote on changes in the law or if you can have a

referendum to change the constitution.

Whilst in Switzerland, an ALMOST perfect democracy for over 800 years, probably the only and oldest

direct democracy in the world, it's the people who vote and decide what the government should do. There

is no President, no Prime Minister, no Generals (apart during war) just a "Speaker of the Assembly" of the

Federation of Switzerland and the right to a veto stands with the people not a President, PM or Political

Party in power. It's the people who decide if there should be changes in the laws or amendments to the

constitution governing the country

No riots, no disruption to airports or tourism. No burning or shutting down of the Capital necessary to have

changes and if something get's changed eventually, those things will last for ever. (Just check some of the

public transport's timetables in the Land of the Swiss. Some are nearly 100 years old and still valid, still in time).

I'm utterly sure, if democracy wouldn't work as so many people claim, Switzerland wouldn't be as prosperous,

stable and secure as they are.

Now the only reason I can see why a democracy wouldn't work, is that people are just not mature enough

to govern and decide for themselves in a social, responsible way.

Edited by JoeLing

I'm not really sure, why do people always quote the US or Britain in discussions about democracies?

From my understanding, the US has never been a true, real democracy but a "Representative Republic"

which is probably the next best thing to a democracy. ..........

Sorry, forgot to mention, in the US, The State of California is supposed to be a direct democracy.

And Abhisit.

Answer = not so many, but those few who do:

1) (indubitable) Ignorance

2) (outstanding) Stupidity

3) (unfounded) Superiority

Should we care?

Possibly, because they have influence but best not care too much cuz they can't really change anything very quickly (not in the remains of my lifetime, I'd wager).

I can understand that farangs support Suthep and the overthrowing of democracy because of ignorance and stupidity.

But what I really can't stand is the (unfounded) (sense of) superiority... Especially coming from very average (lower than average) farangs who make the majority of anti Thaksin group...

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Most so called foreigners living in Thailand hate Thaksins guts because when he was prime minister he made the visa rules more strict to stay long term in Thailand specially for people living on fixed income from abroad and border runners and people living long term in Thailand on back to back tourist visas and working illegally in the country as dive instructers or whatever.

Remember a few years ago when most foreign currency's fell to the baht it was mass exodus for these kind of people to cambodja and vietnam.

When reading most topics concerning the political problems a lot of posters don't wont this country to prosper because they would like nothing else then to see the Baht take a nose dive so they can stay here cheaply and take advantage of cheap woman.

Quite pathetic really.

Even the satire website notthenation has taken the piss with these of kind of thaivisa barstool experts many times already.

I was going to ask about why so many foreigners hate Thaksin and wasn't prepared to wade through the 12 pages to see if it had been raised earlier so nice to see this one recently posted. I think it was Thaksin's great forethought that started these ONGOING visa and 'residency' restrictions. I mean kudos to the man for tackling illegal immigration after all. Isn't that something that Bob Sharples, retired taxi driver from Scunthorpe, living in his pied-à-terre in Chiang Mai (while claiming housing benefits from the UK) is imploring his elected MP (whats his name again?) to get David Cameron to do back in the UK?

I heard that the Thaksin haters also despised his restrictions on alcohol sales (specific hours) as well as his intent to close out the ugly side of sexpat industry represented by Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Bangla and Walking Steet... while leaving the less brightly lit but much more pervasive local-only, pay-for-pleasure market largely untouched (since the police need some form of real income after all).

To assume that Suthep's mantra will be any more forgiving for the 'resident tourist' and erstwhile sexpat is absurd.

• Like 2

But what I really can't stand is the (unfounded) (sense of) superiority... Especially coming from very average (lower than average) farangs who make the majority of anti Thaksin group...

Versus the well thought out and reasoned ruminations of the mental giants that largely support Suthep?

I heard that the Thaksin haters also despised his restrictions on alcohol sales (specific hours)

That was his idea ? Now I really do have a reason to hate him, couldn't get my dark wheat beer on Christmas to go with the ham because I happened to be in the idiotic time slot and didn't want to buy 10L of the stuff.

Why are so many foreigners backing Thaksin?

If the question is:
"How many foreigners are backing any politician in Thailand?"
Then shouldn't the next question be:
"How much have those Politicians received in bribes and payments
from those "farang backers" for their cause"

I personally think there are hardly ANY farang supporting anyone in Thai politics.
Maybe, maybe foreign governments, companies and institutions might spend millions
of baht supporting politicians cause but ordinary "farang", I doubt it.

Just because some farang might agree a bit more with one or with the other
ones policy, doesn't mean they are hypocrites or even supporters of any of them.
Philosophising, talking, waffling and airing ones view is far, far away from backing
or supporting anyone.

Edited by JoeLing
  • Like 1

Stopped reading when I got to the word fascist for it very obviously was leading to just another anti, anti-government rant.

However I will reply to the headline for it shows a complete misunderstanding of what I see as the position of those who are against what the PT Government has done to this country.

I very doubt if there are many or even any foreigners who support or back Suthep as such.

Personally what I am against is the way the PT government have gone about stuffing the country.

I, and I suspect most are in a position where we can look objectively on how the PT government has operated with their "We have been elected with a majority so we can do what we like" attitude.

There is talk of Suthep having a shady past but look at the PT line up. How many of them are at present on bail or waiting charges to be heard against them ? I wont go into names but there are a long list of those who have a far more shady past than Suthep.

A final insult to the people of the country would have to be them taking back 220 of those previously banned from politics for corruption (electoral fraud), all from previous Thaksin proxy parties.

I have seen Thaksin controlling the Government in a blatant manner with phone ins skypes and meetings with MP's and cabinet ministers and even pinning the badges of rank on a senior policeman

We see the rice scheme with its huge losses of hundreds of billions which could have gone a long way towards improving schools and hospitals.

And finally we saw the amnesty bill which, as well as absolving Thaksin of all his crimes would also have forgiven over 25,000 cases of corruption, as the NACC said 'mostly against senior politicians'.

It would have also prevented Abhisit and Suthep from ever getting their day in court to defend the charges of murder brought against them.

By giving amnesty to those who have committed crimes and in particular corruption sends a message that it is OK to be corrupt.

Suthep and the other PT MP's who resigned to fight were the catalyst that brought the people out on to the streets where they got the amnesty bill dumped (for now) the people power got the Government to resign.

I don't support or back Suthep personally but I do back what he and his team (

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688935-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-sutheps-pdrc-war-room/) stand for.

That is, cleaning up this country, where I have chosen to make my home, by reducing if not eliminating corruption and taking the country towards a better democracy instead of the direction it has been clearly going, towards a Thaksin dominated dictatorship.

And that can not be achieved by holding an election before serious reforms are put in place.

• Like 2

Stopped reading when I got to the word fascist for it very obviously was leading to just another anti, anti-government rant.

However I will reply to the headline for it shows a complete misunderstanding of what I see as the position of those who are against what the PT Government has done to this country.

I very doubt if there are many or even any foreigners who support or back Suthep as such.

Personally what I am against is the way the PT government have gone about stuffing the country.

I, and I suspect most are in a position where we can look objectively on how the PT government has operated with their "We have been elected with a majority so we can do what we like" attitude.

There is talk of Suthep having a shady past but look at the PT line up. How many of them are at present on bail or waiting charges to be heard against them ? I wont go into names but there are a long list of those who have a far more shady past than Suthep.

A final insult to the people of the country would have to be them taking back 220 of those previously banned from politics for corruption (electoral fraud), all from previous Thaksin proxy parties.

I have seen Thaksin controlling the Government in a blatant manner with phone ins skypes and meetings with MP's and cabinet ministers and even pinning the badges of rank on a senior policeman

We see the rice scheme with its huge losses of hundreds of billions which could have gone a long way towards improving schools and hospitals.

And finally we saw the amnesty bill which, as well as absolving Thaksin of all his crimes would also have forgiven over 25,000 cases of corruption, as the NACC said 'mostly against senior politicians'.

It would have also prevented Abhisit and Suthep from ever getting their day in court to defend the charges of murder brought against them.

By giving amnesty to those who have committed crimes and in particular corruption sends a message that it is OK to be corrupt.

Suthep and the other PT MP's who resigned to fight were the catalyst that brought the people out on to the streets where they got the amnesty bill dumped (for now) the people power got the Government to resign.

I don't support or back Suthep personally but I do back what he and his team (

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688935-a-behind-the-scenes-look-at-sutheps-pdrc-war-room/) stand for.

That is, cleaning up this country, where I have chosen to make my home, by reducing if not eliminating corruption and taking the country towards a better democracy instead of the direction it has been clearly going, towards a Thaksin dominated dictatorship.

And that can not be achieved by holding an election before serious reforms are put in place.

Reichstag Fire Decree: Decree of the Reich President for the Protection of People and State.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

And the past with parties reforming the country before an election don't look good.

Put simply

1. This government is embarassing by any stretch of the imagination. Democracy - rule of law = cluster****

2. In politics, as opposed to general life it's 'better the devil you don't know'

Lots of longer well articulated and interesting explanations elsewhere on both sides of the debate but I like being direct and to the point

Edited by RichBKK

I think those who do have a certain mind set and then happen to end up with a Thai wife (and family) on either side, are prone to adapt their views. Even if most won't admit, but there is an emotional aspect playing a role in the way things are being viewed and expressed. Unfortunately, emotions can be very misleading. I have both sides on the fence in my circle, and it would be very easy to jump on one of the bandwagons. However, I'm a bit more of a rational type and I keep myself away from either comfort zone. Standing on the top of the hill, I see the bigger picture, but the sight ain't a good one, sadly. :(

• Like 1

I think those who do have a certain mind set and then happen to end up with a Thai wife (and family) on either side, are prone to adapt their views. Even if most won't admit, but there is an emotional aspect playing a role in the way things are being viewed and expressed. Unfortunately, emotions can be very misleading. I have both sides on the fence in my circle, and it would be very easy to jump on one of the bandwagons. However, I'm a bit more of a rational type and I keep myself away from either comfort zone. Standing on the top of the hill, I see the bigger picture, but the sight ain't a good one, sadly. sad.png

All the Thai wives of foreigners I know are firmly Red.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I think those who do have a certain mind set and then happen to end up with a Thai wife (and family) on either side, are prone to adapt their views. Even if most won't admit, but there is an emotional aspect playing a role in the way things are being viewed and expressed. Unfortunately, emotions can be very misleading. I have both sides on the fence in my circle, and it would be very easy to jump on one of the bandwagons. However, I'm a bit more of a rational type and I keep myself away from either comfort zone. Standing on the top of the hill, I see the bigger picture, but the sight ain't a good one, sadly. sad.png

All the Thai wives of foreigners I know are firmly Red.

Well here you go. Mine isn't. I am. Because I am not in favor of dictators but my lovely wife has bought the Suthep thing hook line and sinker. She is and all of her facebook friends are too. A lot of them have Farang husbands.

"College graduate Thai folk who support the Reds are fewer than hens teeth." Thats because thay are educated and are smart enough to know the real truth about the reds/thaksin/ptp(also why the ptp keeps them uneducated). Why is it that the majority of reds are uneducated, simple, they dont know the truth and are not bright enough to realize it. Even the reds in here are simply biggots and have a hate for anyone they consider better off than them, same as those that hate the president etc. Being against thaksin and his minions doesnt make people yellows, it means they are smart enough to know the truth about him and his lackies, you lot are simply too far up his a**e to see it

obviously, some farungs seem to be biased enough on one side, some so called educated Thais on another failing to see that all are being (ab)used as useful idiots in the game of money and power hungry politicians. One putting banknotes in their pocket, the other one giving it away. Same, same but different.

I dislike Thaksin with a passion, and I backed Suthep at first when he was against the amnesty bill, but then he won that battle and should have gone home, like the Red Shirts should have in 2010. Now Suthep is just like the Red Shirts were, and not only do I have no respect for him and I dislike him as much as I do Thaksin. Poor Thailand are there not any leaders who can get them out of this mess?

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I dislike Thaksin with a passion, and I backed Suthep at first when he was against the amnesty bill, but then he won that battle and should have gone home, like the Red Shirts should have in 2010. Now Suthep is just like the Red Shirts were, and not only do I have no respect for him and I dislike him as much as I do Thaksin. Poor Thailand are there not any leaders who can get them out of this mess?

Whoever they may dislike, I personally dislike all those who support, or supported Suthep at any time.

From day 1 it was clear that starting one more round of street protests would lead to escalation and mob rule again.

From day 1 it was clear that it would lead to violence and death.

From day 1 it was clear that it would aggravate the divide in the population.

From day 1 it was clear that this movement would try to hijack the voice of the majority of the people.

From day 1 we could clearly see that Suthep was willing to use any means just because of his hate for one man, and that the country would end up in turmoil.

All those who (even if only at the "beginning") thought that Suthep had good intentions and that his movement was the panacea to tackle all of Thailand's problems have been very naive since the beginning... To say the least.

Those who still support him today are irrational... Also to say the least.

As long as there are people who support more street protests because they dislike someone, nothing will evolve in the right direction.

The vicious circle of the mob rule, started by the yellows in 2006, should end first.

That would be a good start, ideal if followed by reconciliation...

But with people like Suthep, and the Dems who support him for political gain, this prospect is everyday more difficult to reach...

So, I allow myself to dislike those who promote, support, or supported this kind of behavior... Especially when it is about the minority trying to take power, which is crystal clear too...

Of course, be very welcome to dislike me too :D

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I can only underline that.