Best hamburger in Phuket

Somtamnication

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Update, few month ago i was looking for a good burger in the Rawaï area and i finally found an outstanding burger place with a large choice of burgers fresh from the charcoal barbecue with real cheese, The name of the place is green tamarind kitchen on soi cockmakham, they have a facebook page if you want check, heading from nai harn lake towards y junction to kata sai yuan turn right on the small soi after the first family mart on the right side.

Map below

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/7.7858684,98.3178589/7.781313,98.3116985/@7.7854968,98.3150931,17z/data=

Edited by away

Just come back from the Green Tamarind and these are my findings.

Drawing up, I was encouraged as despite the crap location, it was busy.

Sat down and ordered a bacon-cheeseburger with french fries.

The menu said that it was 100% Charalois beef and grilled on the BBQ and that the cheese was Emmental.

The Charalois beef is Thai and frankly is too lean with not enough fat content to make a tasty burger. The Emmental was also rather tasteless. They would have been better off using a cheaper and more flavourful cheddar.

The french fries were home-made shoestring, but, so thin that it was like eating potato chips. No way you could use a fork, they would have shattered.

The burger was like a lot of women I have met. Big, good-looking, but, ultimately rather tasteless.

At 235 Bt for the burger and 50 Bt for the fries, not exactly cheap.

I will be going back again, but, not for the hamburger. Saw a breaded chicken burger that looked excellent.

They also do a veggie burger which is breaded chickpeas which I'd like to try.

Edited by KarenBravo

Flip Side burger joint, which used to be Bangkok Burger, on the road into Laguna has the best burgers I've had in years. Certainly the best I've ever had in Asia.

I will second that. Best I've had in Asia. I go there about once a week. The prices are fairly expensive (300-400 for a burger) and the beer prices are insane. I rarely see anyone else in there so I don't know how much longer they're going to stay in business, which is unfortunate.

Update, few month ago i was looking for a good burger in the Rawaï area and i finally found an outstanding burger place with a large choice of burgers fresh from the charcoal barbecue with real cheese, The name of the place is green tamarind kitchen on soi cockmakham, they have a facebook page if you want check, heading from nai harn lake towards y junction to kata sai yuan turn right on the small soi after the first family mart on the right side.

Map below

https://www.google.co.th/maps/dir/7.7858684,98.3178589/7.781313,98.3116985/@7.7854968,98.3150931,17z/data=

Had one there yesterday, excellent burgers top quality beef. Highly recommended. Closed Wednesdays.

Flip Side burger joint, which used to be Bangkok Burger, on the road into Laguna has the best burgers I've had in years. Certainly the best I've ever had in Asia.

I will second that. Best I've had in Asia. I go there about once a week. The prices are fairly expensive (300-400 for a burger) and the beer prices are insane. I rarely see anyone else in there so I don't know how much longer they're going to stay in business, which is unfortunate.

It's now closed until further notice and probably won't reopen from what I hear.

Last time I went, it was a completely different experience from when it first opened. Place was dirty and food had slipped in quality.

• 1 year later...

EAT is at the intersection of the Karon backroad and the road that takes you to the beach past Kata Group's Orchid Resort. The owner there Chis is quite a good dude and yes, he makes fantastic food.

We Cafe is on Chaofa West on your way to Central from Chalong Circle on your left maybe 4kms? They have their own hydroponics going, get lettuce and tomatoes there for home after eating, super good.

<snip>

We Cafe is on Chaofa West on your way to Central from Chalong Circle on your left maybe 4kms? They have their own hydroponics going, get lettuce and tomatoes there for home after eating, super good.

Ah yes - know where you mean. Went in to have lunch many months ago. The place was packed (and they have a lot of tables). The servers were overwhelmed. We waited a long long time just to get a menu. We noticed many other tables were getting agitated waiting for their food. After more than 40 minutes we just left as no-one even wanted to take our order. Never been back.

Edited by LivinginKata

<snip>

Ah yes - know where you mean. Went in to have lunch many months ago. The place was packed (and they have a lot of tables). The servers were overwhelmed. We waited a long long time just to get a menu. We noticed many other tables were getting agitated waiting for their food. After more than 40 minutes we just left as no-one even wanted to take our order. Never been back.

Been there only once. Place is really nice, they have some good food but I also got the impression that the waiters are just not matching the rest. When I went there it wasn't packed but we still had to wait quite a bit and the waitress wasn't really friendly. I saw other staff though being more friendly so I'd give it another try. Just haven't felt the urge.

If I remember correctly, I ate some kind of sandwich. Tasted nice and the veggies were great but the dark bread was very dry, not my taste.

Green Tamarind Kitchen in Rawai. Absolutely the best by far...

Been closed the last few weeks when I've driven by.

They used to open at midday then changed their opening time to the evening which stopped me going there. The couple of times I went at lunch hour they always seemed to have good business so did not understand the reason for change.

Yeah...unfortunately...but back soon....!

Any idea when? I wanted to try it last weekend but had to find out it was closed. No indication online nor any sign on the shop itself. A bit annoying.

Green Tamarind Kitchen in Rawai. Absolutely the best by far...

Been closed the last few weeks when I've driven by.

They used to open at midday then changed their opening time to the evening which stopped me going there. The couple of times I went at lunch hour they always seemed to have good business so did not understand the reason for change.

Yea I also got confused. Online on Tripadvisor it says they open 5:30pm - 10pm but then on the shop it says they open in the morning until 4pm or some such.

And now they seem to be closed for a few weeks in high season? Some reviewer on Tripadvisor said the restaurant changed owners and doesn't have food anymore.

Really no idea what's up there.

I second keesth's opinion that one should be careful blaming food poisoning or stomach problems to the last food eaten whilst refering to certain restaurants.

From a US gov website:

A common misconception is that gastrointestinal illness was caused by the last food item that was eaten before symptoms started. While there are a few instances in which gastrointestinal illness may result within a few hours of exposure to a particular pathogen, in fact, many of the foodborne diseases have incubation periods that are longer than a day.

From a UK gov website:

Incubation period (the time it takes from eating the suspected food until symptoms begin) - 1-10 days, usually 2-5 days

Different food standards in USA and Thailand, never had food poisoning with home cooked food, several times with restaurant food and it does not take 2 days to happen

You are correct ! The USA poisons some 48 million a year with bad food.

Thailand tries but realises it is fighting a losing battle as they will never succeed in poisoning more people than does the USA cheesy.gif

http://www.healthline.com/health-slideshow/worst-foodborne-illness-outbreaks