I just registered a will at the Amphur Office

giddyup

IMO the 920 baht is pretty much a rip-off. They charged me 500 baht for a passport translation, 200 baht each for two witnesses (staff) to sign the envelope with the Will and 20 baht tax. they gave me a receipt but it only shows 20 baht for the tax, nothing else. I imagine the rest is in someone's pocket.

Agree, but 920 baht total is pretty cheap. Can save by taking your own witnesses. Not all Amphurs require a passport translation.

Only thing I would query is using Google Translate for the Thai version. Were you joking? Iv'e never found Google very accurate at translation, especially for a legal doc.

In case of discrepancies between Thai and English versions, the Thai version would be considered as correct.

I already had the Will witnessed by two neighbours. The envelope that the Will went into was sealed, signed by me and two of the staff sitting opposite me, for that I was charged 400 baht. My passport was translated into Thai (took about 5 minutes) by another staff member, that was another 500 baht. The fact that the receipt didn't mention anything other than the 20 baht tax suggests to me that the balance of 900 baht wasn't authorised, but I could be wrong.

As far as your question re the Google Translate, I had a Thai who is proficient in English compare the translation with the English version and they said it was pretty much spot-on.

giddyup, websites and directions to amphur office would be very much appreciated. My apologies if this info is already on the board.

Thanks.

Amphur Office is on Sukhumvit road after the Bangkok Pattaya hospital, on the same side going towards Bangkok. Will forms can be found and downloaded from the internet.

Edited by giddyup

If you reverse google translations, I find it is not the same as the original, but passable.

Yesterday I took my will to a Translation Service in Soi Post Office, (because I have seen perfect English translations for Condo Committee..not that that means complete literal translation). What also impresses me is an official looking stamp.

I got 5 stamped copies for Baht300.

All my will says is "I leave all my property and assets to......" plus the obligatory legal jargon and witnesses.

The beneficiary has seperate guidelines of what I would like him to do with the assets,

If my local amphur office look blank when I present it, I will go to the OP's amphur office and see if they can accept it.

My next task is to find a lawyer to get probate, I believe this is the term for getting the beneficiary access to my bank accounts and ownership of my property.

If you reverse google translations, I find it is not the same as the original, but passable.

Yesterday I took my will to a Translation Service in Soi Post Office, (because I have seen perfect English translations for Condo Committee..not that that means complete literal translation). What also impresses me is an official looking stamp.

All my will says is "I leave all my property and assets to......" plus the obligatory legal jargon and witnesses.

The beneficiary has seperate guidelines of what I would like him to do with the assets,

If my local amphur office look blank when I present it, I will go to the OP's amphur office and see if they can accept it.

My next task is to find a lawyer to get probate, I believe this is the term for getting the beneficiary access to my bank accounts and ownership of my property.

Some interesting things coming out there and without delving into the personal characteristics of the estate it is difficult to comment.

Presumably all your assets are in Thailand and no other Wills exist. Presumably the property is a condo. i am confused by the reference to "separate guidelines" for the beneficiary - the beneficiary is the beneficiary and is under no obligation to anything with his inheritance. Sounds like you have drawn up the equivalent of an expression of wishes.

I am yet to be sold on the benefits of filing a copy Will at the local amphur - I am open to being persuaded otherwise.

Probate could be quite costly in Pattaya - I would guess in the region of 100,000 Baht.

You could consider transferring title of the condo (with precautions for security of tenure contracted in) and leaving ATM/Online banking codes in safe hands to facilitate post-death withdrawal/transfer of assets. Not strictly legal but a regular practice nonetheless.

• Like 2

Replying to above without quoting all.

Yes.."an expression of my wishes" is an apt description, and as noted the beneficiary is free to ignore them, if I was not confident of his intentions I would leave everything to Smile.org or similar.

All my assets are here.

There must be something I misunderstand about probate, I will need to do more research, although I do believe a lawyer could charge like a wounded bull.

Thank you for the ATM suggestion that's a good idea,Also the transfer of the condo.

The Retirement Fixed Deposit might be juggled when I feel Intimations of Mortality.

I will have FIVE originals of the wil in different locations, en cas d'emergence.

Edited by drx13

Some interesting things coming out there and without delving into the personal characteristics of the estate it is difficult to comment.

No, it's easy to comment as is, no need to know all the "personal characteristics," hence the comments.

I am yet to be sold on the benefits of filing a copy Will at the local amphur - I am open to being persuaded otherwise.

Nobody's here to sell you on anything, nobody cares whether you're sold or persuaded of anything.

Probate could be quite costly in Pattaya - I would guess in the region of 100,000 Baht.

Peanuts

You could consider transferring title of the condo (with precautions for security of tenure contracted in) and leaving ATM/Online banking codes in safe hands to facilitate post-death withdrawal/transfer of assets. Not strictly legal but a regular practice nonetheless.

Highly not recommended. In fact, even letting a Thai know that he/she is a beneficiary is reason to give one pause.

Yes.."an expression of my wishes" is an apt description, and as noted the beneficiary is free to ignore them, if I was not confident of his intentions I would leave everything to Smile.org or similar.

All my assets are here.

There must be something I misunderstand about probate, I will need to do more research, although I do believe a lawyer could charge like a wounded bull.

Thank you for the ATM suggestion that's a good idea,Also the transfer of the condo.

The Retirement Fixed Deposit might be juggled when I feel Intimations of Mortality.

I will have FIVE originals of the wil in different locations, en cas d'emergence.

When you do feel those limitations of mortality that would be a good time to arrange a party. I think it is far better to have a 'wake'' whilst you can still participate in proceedingssmile.png

You you be inclined to PM me to advise such an event I would willingly invest in fuel to travel to Pattaya.

It sounds like you have carefully thought things through - it is difficult for many people to project the practical implications of exactly what happens/what they want to happen after death.

sixpack..beer not abs ? there is no mention of any Thai in my post/will.

I found the post you picked to pieces very helpful

Mai bpen rai - it is his normal modus operandi to gratuitously criticise others' posts without adding anything worthwhile himself.

• Like 1

sixpack..beer not abs ? there is no mention of any Thai in my post/will.

I found the post you picked to pieces very helpful

Whoops, sorry! Just assumed Thai as it almost always is. In that case, much more likely that Jip99's advice on that point would be helpful.

• Like 2

We can stop the bickering any time now please,

The OP has registered his will at the local office, if you want to talk wills in general there is a pinned topic at the top of the page

Then you feel 100% confident your doing the right thing? Just saying.

I have money in my retirement account, which does not have ATM access. I asked at Cad Suan Gao office how I would leave that money to my partner. I was told that I had to have will drawn by Thai lawyer and a copy filed with the bank. All other assests already in partner's name.

Agree, but 920 baht total is pretty cheap. Can save by taking your own witnesses. Not all Amphurs require a passport translation.

Only thing I would query is using Google Translate for the Thai version. Were you joking? Iv'e never found Google very accurate at translation, especially for a legal doc.

In case of discrepancies between Thai and English versions, the Thai version would be considered as correct.

I already had the Will witnessed by two neighbours. The envelope that the Will went into was sealed, signed by me and two of the staff sitting opposite me, for that I was charged 400 baht. My passport was translated into Thai (took about 5 minutes) by another staff member, that was another 500 baht. The fact that the receipt didn't mention anything other than the 20 baht tax suggests to me that the balance of 900 baht wasn't authorised, but I could be wrong.

As far as your question re the Google Translate, I had a Thai who is proficient in English compare the translation with the English version and they said it was pretty much spot-on.

The official charge is 20bht

You had 900bht stolen/scammed by corrupt officials.

The official charge is 20bht

You had 900bht stolen/scammed by corrupt officials.

Yeah, I figured that when they only gave me the receipt for 20 baht, but what can you do? If I'd complained they would have told me to get a lawyer to do it for 10,000 baht. It pisses me off no end being ripped off, but my Thai partner says it's just part of the culture, so suck it up!

• Like 1

I´m just wondering about the validity abroad of an Amphur-registered will.

When I wanted to sell my house in my home-country, the transferring notary insisted on a notarized power-of-attorney document by an authorized Thai lawyer (to be signed by my wife).

Likewise to obtain a declaration of inheritance the notary will probably only accept valid notarized wills.

My experience at the Naklua office was not great. My Thai wife made a will leaving "our/her" house to me if she died. I know that farangs cannot own property but have heard from many sources that they can inherit subject to selling the property within a year.

Not only did the guy at the amphur read the will but he objected to what was in it. He started telling my wife that a farang can not be the beneficiary, he also called over his boss to confirm this. Things got a bit heated as as far as I was concerned they were just supposed to be registering it not censoring it. In the end they reluctantly and very sulkily agreed to register it.

Hope its still there.

In my opinion, if you are particularly fond of the beneficiaries of your Will and want to make sure your assets are distributed as per your English Language version, I would strongly recommend you get a certified translation of the document at a Lawyers office.

I use Google Translate all the time and it really is not good enough for a straight English to Thai translation. This could prevent any potential legal action involving the contents of your Will after your passing, especially if the Thai translation is not clear in places.

In my opinion, if you are particularly fond of the beneficiaries of your Will and want to make sure your assets are distributed as per your English Language version, I would strongly recommend you get a certified translation of the document at a Lawyers office.

I use Google Translate all the time and it really is not good enough for a straight English to Thai translation. This could prevent any potential legal action involving the contents of your Will after your passing, especially if the Thai translation is not clear in places.

My will was very straightforward and simple. Basically that all monies in my bank accounts (2) goes to my partner. The house is already in her name, I just have a 30 year lease which will be cancelled at my death. There's an English version at the Amphur office as well, so I don't envisage any problems, I don't see anyone contesting it for instance.

Using Google Translate to translate a will? I'm gobsmacked. If you put the Thai Translation to any kind of a test, be it a bilingual or into Google itself, you'll be rolling in laughter. If you don't, you'll be rolling in your grave.

Using Google Translate to translate a will? I'm gobsmacked. If you put the Thai Translation to any kind of a test, be it a bilingual or into Google itself, you'll be rolling in laughter. If you don't, you'll be rolling in your grave.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the Google translation checked by a Thai proficient in English. They couldn't see a problem with it. Just out of interest I did as you suggested, translated from Thai back to English. It's not word perfect, but the basic gist is there.

Edited by giddyup

Cheap is not always good.I dislike lawyers also,but wills can be interpreted many ways,and your wishes need to have legal backing,for your wishes to be interpreted the way you want.Plenty of loopholes to be avoided.Google translate,you gotta be joking.

All my assets are here.

So you know when this is gunna happen.Not wanting to put a curse on you mate,but this could happen in the shower tonight,several ways.Get it fixed now.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the Google translation checked by a Thai proficient in English. They couldn't see a problem with it. Just out of interest I did as you suggested, translated from Thai back to English. It's not word perfect, but the basic gist is there.

Listen mate,basic gist is not good enough in a will,with your life assets involved.A lawyer is a pitttance to pay to save your wife a lot of problems.

Listen mate,basic gist is not good enough.Get a lawyer to check your will and save your wife a lot of problems later.A 1000 baht is a pittance to pay for peace of mind,stop being a cheap charlie,its your lifes assets were talking about here.One word out of place could change the whole will or hold up payment for years.There will be a lot of "friends"helping your wife at your demise.Don't give her any more problems.