Mint plants - found some

post-47588-0-40258700-1387009661_thumb.j

I've been looking for mint seeds or plants around Pattaya/Jomtien for some time and finally struck gold. Heading towards Sri Racha, it's the weekend market about 1km past Pattaya Nua on the right (next to the McDonalds). Go to the McD end and last row. Very cheap - 20 baht a plant. You can see them in the pix above in front of my newly planted sweet basil (growing very well) and tomatoes (slowly, slowly). Will pot them soon and see how they go. Looking forward to fresh mint tea and mint kefir yogurt.

Cheers,

Wit

• Like 1

The wife bought some fresh mint in the local market and just stuck it in the soil and it grew. We're now enjoying a pot of mint tea every few days. The tomatoes, like yours, are coming on slowly but we're hoping for a decent crop. When I go to the market to buy tomatoes I'm reminded to buy the ones with the green part on the top as you can steep them in water to make a natural pesticide.

The long beans are the best success so far. She wants to grow black pepper but was too cheap to pay 100 baht for a plant. This is the reason I love her. thumbsup.gif

Good advice about the mint. Has anyone seen Rocket lettuce plants anywhere ?

If you are still in BKK, they sell them at the or-tor-kor market next to chatuchak. There is a plantshop at the side of the road who sells many kinds of lettuce.

Also there is a doi kham ? (royal project) vegy shop at that market and it has a many great lettuces grown organic. I like that shop, much better then any supermarket or market. They sell everything very fresh and in perfect condition, everything has a pricetag, no bargaining or cheating, perfect shop.

Edited by namdocmai

Just some advice on mint plants, if you have more than one type, make sure they do not flower (cut off as soon as you see them! .... they are pinkish mauve ) they will cross pollinate ... producing yukky tasting mint which will take over !..... Which is what has happened to much of the mint one finds here...bah.gif

I have spearmint growing only... better to keep to one type in my opinion! (as long as neighbours don't have any other types! wink.png )

Just some advice on mint plants, if you have more than one type, make sure they do not flower (cut off as soon as you see them! .... they are pinkish mauve ) they will cross pollinate ... producing yukky tasting mint which will take over !..... Which is what has happened to much of the mint one finds here...bah.gif

I have spearmint growing only... better to keep to one type in my opinion! (as long as neighbours don't have any other types! wink.png )

Thanks for that advice, Jimmy. As far as I know, no one near me grows mint.

Wonder if rocket plants/seeds can be found in the Pattaya area?

Thanks for that advice, Jimmy. As far as I know, no one near me grows mint.

Wonder if rocket plants/seeds can be found in the Pattaya area?

Pick the flavour you prefer... taste test when buying!!!!.... I have spearmint, people I know several kms away have peppermint.. they don't seem to be as invasive here as in the north...(colder climates!) but growing in a large pot maybe a good idea!

Can't help you on the rocket plants or seed ... perhaps find a Thai who can translate if you can find a picture! I just did a Google search, but not sure what it is!

Edited by samuijimmy