Good tv series

beechbum

17 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Just finished watching Patriot. One series, 10 episodes.

A spy comedy.  Starts slow, but is very well written. The humor is subtle and interlaced with the spy business.

Couldn't stop watching towards the end. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687882/

Starting to watch it now. The first 'too honest' country song made me laugh :) Promising start.

"Curb your enthusiasm" season 9, first 4 episodes available to dl, loved this show before, very funny.

Seen this advertized many times so thought i would give it a try.downloaded the first season .watched 2 episodes is it meant to be a comedy? Not for me so deleted it

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not recommending a series here but it's relevant in a way.

Anyone having problems accessing BBC iPlayer via VPN? I use Astrill and have always been able to get in. Today I'm just getting the message that viewers outside the UK cannot access iPlayer. The same with all their UK servers. 2 episodes of W1A to watch as well!

ITV Hub still ok.

9 hours ago, madmitch said:

Not recommending a series here but it's relevant in a way.

Anyone having problems accessing BBC iPlayer via VPN? I use Astrill and have always been able to get in. Today I'm just getting the message that viewers outside the UK cannot access iPlayer. The same with all their UK servers. 2 episodes of W1A to watch as well!

ITV Hub still ok.

I had the same thing and tried two different VPNs, and a mate had the same, so seems like they've caught on to the VPN and UK postal code workaround!!

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I watched the first 3 episode of Travels With My Father. It's comedian Jack Whitehall touring around Southeast Asia with his curmudgeonly father, who doesn't like travelling and spends most of the time wearing a suit and tie. The first 3 programmes feature Thailand so can be watched with added interest for those of us out here.

There are some funny moments, though much of it is obviously stage-managed and scripted. 

All six episodes are available on Netflix.

On 24/10/2017 at 8:16 AM, xylophone said:

I had the same thing and tried two different VPNs, and a mate had the same, so seems like they've caught on to the VPN and UK postal code workaround!!

Most of the streaming services are on a crusade to lock down VPN access, Netflix (who seem to be at the cutting edge) and Amazon Prime included, can't blame them I suppose.  They are getting better and better at identifying the server ranges used by VPNs and blacklisting them.  One of the reasons I'm reluctant to subscribe to a paid VPN to access the catalogues of these services in other countries.  Be just my luck to pay $100 up front for a year only to find after two months that the VPN in question can no longer get through to the services I might want.

• Like 2

Last night I watched the first 3 episode of Travels With My Father. It's comedian Jack Whitehall touring around Southeast Asia with his curmudgeonly father, who doesn't like travelling and spends most of the time wearing a suit and tie. The first 3 programmes feature Thailand so can be watched with added interest for those of us out here.

There are some funny moments, though much of it is obviously stage-managed and scripted. 

All six episodes are available on Netflix.

Thanks for this it was nice to see Thailand. As you say its all obviously scripted in fact so much so that it was embarrasing. Like a very poor version of An idiot abroad. Now that is funny. But worth watching the Thai bits[emoji4]

• Like 1

Just picked up on a comedy series by accident that I quite liked, kind of a Woody Allen type humour - Curb Your Enthusiasm. I just watched one in season 9 so I'll go back and watch a few from S1, see if it still measures up.

Posted using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, SooKee said:

Just picked up on a comedy series by accident that I quite liked, kind of a Woody Allen type humour - Curb Your Enthusiasm. I just watched one in season 9 so I'll go back and watch a few from S1, see if it still measures up.

Posted using Tapatalk

It measures up big time, very funny stuff, Larry David was the writer of the Seinfeld series. 

• Like 1

BBC iPlayer is up and down with Astrill right now. Last night it was working, enabling me to watch the second episode or Blue Planet II.

And it's right up to the standard expected of a BBC/Attenborough wildlife documentary. Need I say more?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

BBC iPlayer is up and down with Astrill right now. Last night it was working, enabling me to watch the second episode or Blue Planet II.

And it's right up to the standard expected of a BBC/Attenborough wildlife documentary. Need I say more?

Fantastic series. Worth the license fee alone (if I had to pay)!

By the way, I read above that you were having problems with your VPN / BBC iPlayer. I did too, but was advised to use Microsoft Edge instead of Google Chrome. This fixed the issue for me, so worth a try if you're having issues.

6 hours ago, Timbob said:

Fantastic series. Worth the license fee alone (if I had to pay)!

By the way, I read above that you were having problems with your VPN / BBC iPlayer. I did too, but was advised to use Microsoft Edge instead of Google Chrome. This fixed the issue for me, so worth a try if you're having issues.

Timbob to the rescue again??  I was using Chrome and Betternet VPN, but they sussed it out and stopped that!!

Are you saying that Edge plus a VPN (which one?) will work? 

Thanks

59 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Timbob to the rescue again??  I was using Chrome and Betternet VPN, but they sussed it out and stopped that!!

Are you saying that Edge plus a VPN (which one?) will work? 

Thanks

Haha. Happy to help!

It worked for me last week. I've been using the 'My Expat Network' VPN for a couple of years. I only really use it for the BBC iPlayer, never had a problem until a week ago. I contacted them and got an immediate reply saying "Please try using Edge or Safari, rather than Chrome". It worked.

Hopefully it works for you too!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, Flying Clog said:

I've always had good results streaming UK tv (itv etc) and bbc iplayer with Express VPN.

I've had some great help from Timbob, who has been most forthcoming with assistance regarding the same thing, but using My Expat VPN network.

In my case I had to change from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge in order to get the whole thing working, but so far it seems to be working okay-ish....... apart from one peculiar problem and I wonder if anyone else on here has experienced this.

When I log onto the Expat VPN site, which can be a bit of a chore (and one has to pay for it, but not much) I immediately get a message on my outlook Gmail requesting me to re-enter my password, and although I do it, it doesn't seem to let me use Gmail, so I am locked out.

Not long after I get a message on my phone saying that someone has tried to access my Google account from Dubai??

No matter what I did I couldn't get my Gmail (via Outlook) working again and it took me over a day to figure it out – – when I disconnected from the Expat VPN, the problem never occurred, then when I reconnected, the message regarding my password cropped up again, locking me out of my Gmail, as did the message from Google regarding someone trying to access my account??

I did look on Google and it seems that what was happening to me has happened to others, or at least something similar has happened, and I wondered if anybody here had experienced the same thing.

I realise this is a little off topic, however feedback on this problem would be much appreciated.

I've had some great help from Timbob, who has been most forthcoming with assistance regarding the same thing, but using My Expat VPN network.   In my case I had to change from Google Chrome to Microsoft Edge in order to get the whole thing working, but so far it seems to be working okay-ish....... apart from one peculiar problem and I wonder if anyone else on here has experienced this.   When I log onto the Expat VPN site, which can be a bit of a chore (and one has to pay for it, but not much) I immediately get a message on my outlook Gmail requesting me to re-enter my password, and although I do it, it doesn't seem to let me use Gmail, so I am locked out.   Not long after I get a message on my phone saying that someone has tried to access my Google account from Dubai??   No matter what I did I couldn't get my Gmail (via Outlook) working again and it took me over a day to figure it out – – when I disconnected from the Expat VPN, the problem never occurred, then when I reconnected, the message regarding my password cropped up again, locking me out of my Gmail, as did the message from Google regarding someone trying to access my account??   I did look on Google and it seems that what was happening to me has happened to others, or at least something similar has happened, and I wondered if anybody here had experienced the same thing.   I realise this is a little off topic, however feedback on this problem would be much appreciated.  
I've heard of similar before. IIRC it has something to do with account security in some cases where the service you are using kind of tracks where you are logging in from. If it suddenly changes it can flag up and you need to go through security to procedures to verify it's you. I get it mostly with Gmail that'll even ask me to verify when I visit Malaysia briefly.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

I get it mostly with Gmail

Thanks for the reply SooKee, and it's Gmail for me too............so nothing to be worried about I take it. And the reason I ask this is because the Google message to my phone suggested that someone had tried to "use my password" (or similar wording) which did cause some concern.

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the reply SooKee, and it's Gmail for me too............so nothing to be worried about I take it. And the reason I ask this is because the Google message to my phone suggested that someone had tried to "use my password" (or similar wording) which did cause some concern.

Yeah AFAIK it's down to the access country settings which suddenly change when you use a VPN causing a security alert.  I just had it with all my Microsoft email accounts (@outlook.com) when I activated a trial of NordVPN (they have an excellent 77% off Black Friday offer so I'm giving the 3 day trial a spin).  As soon as the VPN was switched on, up come the security alerts causing you to log in again.  

This time I didn't get it with Gmail, maybe that's down to me having "two factor identification" for all those accounts whereby the accounts are protected by (I'm guessing) a higher level of security than merely location based.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

peaky blinders season 4 has started

Great first episode. Will watch the second tonight, iPlayer permitting.

20 hours ago, i claudius said:

Didnt like this series also cant understand them they mumble all the time worse than they used to

I know what you mean about the mumbling. Tommy Shelby's voice has certainly changed, very noticeably in series 3.

• Like 1

Finally got around to Narcos S3- was up late last nite. Go on- just one more episode. Comrade Detective has some good writus but i'm wary of American tongue in cheek, they have a different take on it. Guy Martin's WW1 Tank is worth a look as well.

• Like 1