Russian dies in high-speed motorbike crash in North Pattaya

webfact

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Though Hunter went out in his late 60's... not mid 20's.

I guess not for want of trying.

He had his wife shoot his ashes out of a cannon!

He also shot himself int he head while on the phone with his wife. He was dying from cancer and was miserable.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorcycles like these should be outlawed in Thailand. Throw in motor bikes and scooters as well, anything over 50cc.

Allow only motor boards, something like this, problem solved (well at least most problems, because it's questionable if you are able to ride these in most sois given the pavement condition). But at max speed of 15 mph it's unlikely that you can kill others and/or yourself.

motorboard20specs-jj-001.jpg

Edited by elzach

I think it is about time there was some sort of licensing and control over all motorbike rentals, the scams are as bad as tuk tuks and jet skis, they will rent to anyone hoping they have an accident, the bikes are rarely maintained and quite often still have red plates on them. I have seen people get on a scooter and crash it outside the rental shop and they still let them go out on the road with them!!

Big bikes are worse because a lot of people that rent them do so because they have never had the opportunity to ride one before. I dare say there aren't too many big bikes going around in Siberia.

I ride a big bike and always wear the minimum of jeans boots and a DOT approved helmet (I import them from the States, $100 - $150 isn't too much to pay for something that will save your life). Long trips a leather or reinforced jacket, I guess the thrill of enjoying yourself when on holiday blocks out common sense.

RIP all the same

Leather gloves should be part of the minimum ... IMHO of course smile.png

Cannot teach stupid as it is something you are born with.

26 year old man dies doing something that for only the grace of God , 90% of the people reading this would be in the same place . and yet the first comments are the above , somebody dies and this is what you have to add . disgusting , this is somebody's kid , brother perhaps father . no compassion

• Like 1

The guy probably was speeding, probably had a few beverages, but may not have been driving like

an idiot. We don't know. He may have been cut of by another bike or car. He may have swerved

to avoid a pedestrian who was not paying attention while crossing the street. What I do know

is he paid the ultimate price for his youthful exuberance while on holiday. A little compassion

is more appropriate than many of the comments here. He had a mother and he will be missed

by some. RIP

• Like 2

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Hunter Thompson ripped that quote from George Carlin. The original quote is "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man,what a ride!' George Carlin (2003)

The attribution to Thompson predates 2003 by a number of years, so it is likely that Carlin "ripped it off" Thompson.

It has also been attributed to Bill McKenna in 1982, but that has been pretty much debunked.

Russian can not give anything to rent - no bike or car. You want to prevent this, it is dangerous for them and for others. Russian can be given ONLY rent bicycles (with 3 wheels! not 2!!!) They do not know how to drive any vehicles, it is too difficult for their brains.

Edited by Maksim

To all the guys out there writing about possible lack of experience, please let me remind you that all your experience counts for nothing in certain situations, as I only last week came to realise after some clown in a small white minivan sideswiped me whilst overtaking me on a right hand bend, Only by the grace of God am I hear today writing about it and my7 year old son who was with me escaped, very luckily with only minor grazing to his right leg where the van wheel caught him.

I've been riding bikes, both big and small, old and new for over 40 years so would say I have a little experience when it comes to riding a bike, but "hey", an accident is an accident, it can happen to anyone, it can happen to you, so all of you who are shouting "good riddance" remember, one second is all it takes.

Let the guy rest in peace, He was one of us. My thoughts go out to his family and all his friends. RIP.

• Like 2

To all the guys out there writing about possible lack of experience, please let me remind you that all your experience counts for nothing in certain situations, as I only last week came to realise after some clown in a small white minivan sideswiped me whilst overtaking me on a right hand bend, Only by the grace of God am I hear today writing about it and my7 year old son who was with me escaped, very luckily with only minor grazing to his right leg where the van wheel caught him.

I've been riding bikes, both big and small, old and new for over 40 years so would say I have a little experience when it comes to riding a bike, but "hey", an accident is an accident, it can happen to anyone, it can happen to you, so all of you who are shouting "good riddance" remember, one second is all it takes.

Let the guy rest in peace, He was one of us. My thoughts go out to his family and all his friends. RIP.

You forget that we read about this type of accident near every week, tourist....big bike....death............sad.png

The gap between thrills and death is just a split second.

I really love those big bikes but I'll pass for now and find my thrills elsewhere.

RIP

was wondering when the rip brigade would kick in. Did you know him Smiley?

Known or not, showing respect is always welcome. thumbsup.gif

Motorcycles like these should be outlawed in Thailand. Throw in motor bikes and scooters as well, anything over 50cc.

Allow only motor boards, something like this, problem solved (well at least most problems, because it's questionable if you are able to ride these in most sois given the pavement condition). But at max speed of 15 mph it's unlikely that you can kill others and/or yourself.

motorboard20specs-jj-001.jpg

That looks like fun...can you get these in Thailand?

They said he was going very fast, and it was in a residential area. No excuse for that.

I've put over 100k miles on bikes over 1000cc without an accident in over 35 years. I had an accident in Greece on a rented 125cc scooter due to brake failure. I happily putt around at or around the speed limit, leave enough space in front of me and stay out of cars way and blind spots. Defensive driving saves my ass at least once a week from drivers who "didn't see me".

I hit a fence during a race 37 years ago at over 125mph, I straigntened the mirrors and put the tank back on and drove it home. A friend put his bike down while going the speed limit and it hit a guard rail post and his bike looked like it went thorough a wood chipper.

Other than the fact that from the damage done, it appears he was probably driving too fast, there doesn't seem to be enough evidence from the report to condem him or classify him as a threat to society who's better off dead. IMHO

What's up with all these sh_t comments like its good that he is gone. Now he ain't a threat to others anymore. Like you have never driven your car or ridden a bike faster than you should have. Like you have never broken any speed limits or traffic laws. Like you have never sit behind the wheel after consuming alcohol. Stop making me laugh. We all have done it, the only difference is that his ass was on a R6 and that bike does not forgive. Just before it will be time for you to go, don't forget to say something smart.

• Like 2

I've put over 100k miles on bikes over 1000cc without an accident in over 35 years. I had an accident in Greece on a rented 125cc scooter due to brake failure. I happily putt around at or around the speed limit, leave enough space in front of me and stay out of cars way and blind spots. Defensive driving saves my ass at least once a week from drivers who "didn't see me".

I hit a fence during a race 37 years ago at over 125mph, I straigntened the mirrors and put the tank back on and drove it home. A friend put his bike down while going the speed limit and it hit a guard rail post and his bike looked like it went thorough a wood chipper.

Other than the fact that from the damage done, it appears he was probably driving too fast, there doesn't seem to be enough evidence from the report to condem him or classify him as a threat to society who's better off dead. IMHO

...a pickup truck going the opposite way on a 2-lane road veered right in to me...I could barely avoid him...and there was nobody around....

....this always comes to mind when I hear that a foreigner 'died by his own hands'...... or ...'by his own doing'........

I think GAZZPA is missing the point.

Whilst these people are driving around at high speed, (with usually little or no experience on motor bikes let alone a bike so powerful) he is putting everyone on the road at risk.

No different to the pathetic locals I see on a daily basis screaming through traffic weaving in an out at out peril. Good Riddens.

Another stupid comment, someone died here, don't you have any decency or compassion?

Good, one less threat to me on the road.

Whatever you do don't ever change...

Erm, no. It is not me who has missed the point. There are people on the road who drive badly, under the influence, too fast etc, etc,, we all know that. my comment is in response to the "good riddance" post. I will say it again, this man has lost his life, despite the rubbish you sometimes hear life is not cheap.

Whatever the circumstances this is tragic and anyone who makes such comments after a persons death should be ashamed of themselves.

Hunter Thompson ripped that quote from George Carlin. The original quote is "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man,what a ride!' George Carlin (2003)

Why is it that the people I usually hear quoting this are retired, fat old geezers? And the most exiting thing they have ever done is shift their pension and chubby carcass to Thailand so they can spend all day drinking cheap beer surrounded by bar girls...

Why is it that the people I usually hear quoting this are retired, fat old geezers? And the most exiting thing they have ever done is shift their pension and chubby carcass to Thailand so they can spend all day drinking cheap beer surrounded by bar girls...

Yep, your post is the most stupid post of the day. Well done that man. rolleyes.gif

Do you have a magical insight to a poster. Don't think so eh. sad.png