Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

Being from the States, Thais have to go through hell to get a visa or even try to get a visa, so I have mixed emotions on this issue.

Thais going on business have no problems getting visas though. The wife went to the US many years ago for 3 weeks but she ended up with a 2 year visa. Tourists have problems as some can go AWOL.

• Like 2

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samran, we are waiting for your reply to post 32!

Of course, other apologists are invited to reply too.

Sorry, I have a life, so was away from this inter web thing. But since you were waiting with such baited breath...

I was trying to think of some cutting and witty riposte, which would show how intelligent I am and how feeble minded you are, then a realised that we are on a site called Thai Visa which is littered with stories from overstayers, visa runners and the intellectuals studying Thai for 3 hours per week on their 'education' visas, plenty of who bitch moan and complain that the pound/dollar has slipped another half baht. So I suggest you look there, given that I'm not a walking statistic book.

So witty!

Must be the white part of you.

• Like 1

There is an inter-ministerial commission, based on section 6 of the Immigration Act, composed as shown below, but the minutes of this commission's meetings are not made public and it is highly unusual for a member of this commission to announce publicly what proposals he will make at a future meeting.

Section 6 : The immigration Commission will consist of the Under Secretary of

the Minister of Interior as Chairman and the following members :

- Under Secretary of Ministry of Foreign Affairs

- Director general , Police Department

- Director General , labor Department

- Director General , public Prosecution Department

- Secretary General , Board of Investment Committee

- Secretary General , National Security Council

- Director , Tourist Organization of Thailand

- Commander of Immigration Division as member and secretary

attachicon.gifImmigration Act EN.pdf

Thanks for this Maestro!

I'm I reading this correctly that the "Immigration commissioner" (as termed in the article) is just a generic term? Meaning that the aforementioned police officer is under the "wing" of either the Director general of Police Department or the Commander of Immigration Division, and is formally not actually a member of the commission.

Edited by Morakot

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

How wrong you are about other countries' systems. My family has lots of overseas visitors to the UK and many times we've had problems that have been caused by the whims and laziness of UK Entry Clearance Officers. Many times we've had friends or family apply for UK visas only to have them rejected. Each time we've lodged objections and each time they've eventually agreed to provide visas. We even had to take them to court once and the magistrate gave them a good bo***cking for wasting everyone's time. And that's been the major problem; so much time wasted and, in some cases, quite a bit of money. So please don't think it's a fairer system getting visas for the UK than for Thailand. If it's that hard for our friends and family to get UK visas I dread to think what it's like for visitors who don't have contacts in the UK!

But as a regular visitor to Thailand, I don't want to have to face all the inevitable hassle of applying for visas. The expense is just another cost that has to be borne, albeit a relatively small percentage of the total holiday cost. Filling out the inevitable paperwork and supplying all the bits that will be needed with it, then waiting hopefully for a visa is far worse.

Absolutely correct about the competence of UK immigration staff. I also took them to court once and won easily. Deeply stupid people, they didn't even know the rules that it was their job to apply.

Yes, it is true, it is far more difficult for thais to enter europe, then it is for europeans to enter thailand.

Now, why would that be?

If 1000 europeans enter thailand with no hassles, 999 will return before their visas expire, 1 will stay on illegally for working / whoring / or whatever.

If 1000 thais enter europe with no hassles, how many will return before their visas expire?

Please Samran, answer that one.

Sorry to quote myself, but too late to edit.

I was going to post: if 1000 thais or africans enter europe without hassles, etc.

But I did not, as I did not want to be accused of racism by the apologists.

Mentioning thais and africans in the same context just isn't done, right?

I honestly believe in Alle Menschen werden Bruder.

I sympathise with poor people from underdeveloped or dictatorial countries, who want to come to Europe for a better life.

Unfortunately, Europe is not big enough to give refuge too half the Asian and African populations.

Just an idea: maybe they can try to change things in their own countries, just like the Europeans did, many years ago.

Then all people can travel visa free to all countries.

"The immigration chief said further that charging visa fees would help screen visitors to Thailand, especially criminal elements and tricksters who may capitalize on the privilege to come to Thailand to seek refuge or to commit crimes."

Are you kidding me? All the 17 countries can get 30 days VOA now, why they think visa makes refugees and criminals want to come and commit crimes?

...well they can't blame their own for their problems...can they...

Thanks for this Maestro!

I'm I reading this correctly that the "Immigration commissioner" (as termed in the article) is just a generic term? Meaning that the aforementioned police officer is under the "wing" of either the Director general of Police Department or the Commander of Immigration Division, and is formally not actually a member of the commission.

The newspaper article refers to the same Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol as immigration commissioner who on the website of the Immigration Bureau is labelled as "Commissioner, Immigration Bureau". Further down in the hierarchy is a "Police Maj.Gen.Takengpong Wangkaew, Commander of Commissioner", and it may be he who is a member of the Immgration Commission. I guess one would have to look at the ranking in Thai to figure out who is what.

I honestly believe in Alle Menschen werden Bruder.

I sympathise with poor people from underdeveloped or dictatorial countries, who want to come to Europe for a better life.

Unfortunately, Europe is not big enough to give refuge too half the Asian and African populations.

Just an idea: maybe they can try to change things in their own countries, just like the Europeans did, many years ago.

Then all people can travel visa free to all countries.

inaccurate racist garbage

Wont happen - this will be a highly political decision that would be taken at the highest level. No way the current government are going to seriously tick off these countries governments especially as at the moment they are actively courting their support for the 2nd Feb elections.

Just some idiot woke up one morning with a "bright" idea but gave no thought to the current political realities - this will be quietly shelved or more likely sink without trace for the time being. Nothing to say that something similar wont come back in the future though as we know governments of all countries and persuasions cannot resist picking up cash from whoever and wherever they can and I believe that the Visa Waiver terms do say a charge may be levied.

Nothing to panic about.

Trotski

• Like 1

"Immigration commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol explained that the reason for reconsideration was that the 17 countries still charge visa fees on Thai nationals.

The visa fee exemption should be reciprocal ."

So he wants reciprocity? How about for land ownership? How about for entrance to parks and national museums?

Reciprocity is a two way street, not just useful for one side!

sure, why not.

Then you'll have the pleasure of lining up for hour on end, out in the rain or snow in London, Washington, or the capital of whatever you are from after waiting 4 months getting an appointment at the Thai embassy for your Tourist Visa, to speak to some bloke behind a window who wants the financial records of your great, great grandfather as part of your application.

I am indeed warming to the reciprocality issue! Thanks for pointing it out.

My wife (Thai) just received a 10 year visa to the US. For 5,000 THB. She does not need to do visa runs every 90 days. She did not get a 90 day visa then spend 4 days going to Immigration on CW each time not having some elusive piece of evidence that a moody immigration officer decides that you forgot just so you can get a one year extension... Along with the requirement to leave the country every 90 days.

Yah. I am with you about reciprocality. Thailand needs to start issuing 10 year visas without requiring visa runs.

I also want to own land.

• Like 1

dao16

You really must do better !

Please tell us the countries that have major problems with Thais "overstaying "

No, I don't have to do better than that. I heard it directly from the mouths of immigration officials.

Do this experiment: send your wife to China, Japan or Korea on her own (or, fine...go with her). Have fun as it all goes down. China isn't much fun either, sometimes. Then ask them why all the hassle.We have met people who were being denied as we were being cleared--they had round trip tickets on group tours....no go. Reason? Too many never leave.

Or you could just use the googles and see how often Thais are mentioned high on the list of overstays (not sure why yours was in quotes--they overstay their visas and work). It changes every year, but we have been in places when it comes out in the news--Thailand no. 1.

Anyway, stay where you are or check out the interwebs, as they are accessible to you, too.

dao16

No, I don't have to do better than that. I heard it directly from the mouths of immigration officials.

Do this experiment: send your wife to China, Japan or Korea on her own (or, fine...go with her). Have fun as it all goes down. China isn't much fun either, sometimes. Then ask them why all the hassle.We have met people who were being denied as we were being cleared--they had round trip tickets on group tours....no go. Reason? Too many never leave.

Or you could just use the googles and see how often Thais are mentioned high on the list of overstays (not sure why yours was in quotes--they overstay their visas and work). It changes every year, but we have been in places when it comes out in the news--Thailand no. 1.

Anyway, stay where you are or check out the interwebs, as they are accessible to you, too.

Not really worth a response ................total nonsense !smile.png

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

What hoops, what stumbling blocks never had a problem getting a tourist visa, non-o visa or extensions of stay. Very straight forward and transparent show up with all the paper work and money 15 min. later finished.

• Like 1

dao16

Not really worth a response ................total nonsense !smile.png

ok....so they Japanese are overstaying and Thais rarely overstay. Sure. Have fun.