Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

BANGKOK: -- The Immigration Bureau will ask the Foreign Ministry to reconsider the decision to exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers from 17 countries.

The 17 countries are Australia, England, the United States, Germany, France, Sweden, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland,Norway, Israel, United Arab Emitrates, Spain and New Zealand.

My interpretation of the article is this:

The Foreign Ministry has decided to scrap the visa fees for these 17 countries....The Immigration Bureau opposes the decision about scrapping the visa fees for the 17 countries listed above and wants it reversed.

By golly, Frank, you might be right. Perhaps the TAT put pressure on the MFA, to reach tourist targets, and instead of waiving the fee for all countries like last time the MFA wants to do it only for the 17 countries mentioned by the immigration commissioner.

Is this a decision made by MFA and not the Immigration Commission?

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When are these free visas coming then? The last visa I paid for in the UK was £75 + £10 p&p + £6.22 special delivery charge.

Where is this news about free visas that the article refers to? I have heard no such news.

When are these free visas coming then? The last visa I paid for in the UK was £75 + £10 p&p + £6.22 special delivery charge.

Where is this news about free visas that the article refers to? I have heard no such news.

It is not about free visas, it is about making visa exempt entries not free anymore for nationals of some countries.

270 wingers over 1000 baht,that doesn't apply To most of u anyway. 1000. I spend more than that on tips on a good night out .

I think if you look at the majority of these posts rather than the simple cost, they are questioning the rationality or appropriateness of these proposals.

. Why? Don't you think it's so trivial that , forget it , I have a life to live.aveagoodday .

This part of storey leads me to believe it free tourist visas again like they did in the past.

The Immigration Bureau will ask the Foreign Ministry to reconsider the decision to exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers from 17 countries

The fact that it appears this a decision by the MFA also leads me believe it since they are the ones who issue visas.

It is not about free visas, it is about making visa exempt entries not free anymore for nationals of some countries.

Earlier in this thread another mod told me it's about tourist visas. Where was the original article sourced from ?

Anyway, there have never been free visas

Some time back, they were issuing "free" visas, but the consulates then introduced an administration tax / convenience fee, or whatever.

That was done at a few honorary consulates. The embassies and official consulates never charged a fee.

I honestly believe in Alle Menschen werden Bruder.

I sympathise with poor people from underdeveloped or dictatorial countries, who want to come to Europe for a better life.

Unfortunately, Europe is not big enough to give refuge too half the Asian and African populations.

Just an idea: maybe they can try to change things in their own countries, just like the Europeans did, many years ago.

Then all people can travel visa free to all countries.

inaccurate racist garbage

I have asked you twice to explain your accusation of racism.

You find the time to post in this tread 2 more posts, but you do not want to explain why I am a racist.

I think that is a sign of very bad manners.

Or is it face?

Well, my wife got her spouses visa for the UK with no problems, very easy, which also entitled her to work, 2 years later permanent residency, 1 more year british passport. done and dusted mate.

At least the Uk offer its citizens spouses the chance to become a permanent residents, based purely on marriage, as long as you can support her without claim benefits.

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

tosh.

The Thai system is pretty straight forward when compared to the byzantine rules and regs of most western countries. The regular reporting and annual extensions are annoying, granted, but it is hardly rocket science.

The only people who find Thai visa rules a problem are the ones who have the expectation that they can turn up and stay as long as they want, just cause they are spending a bit of dosh.

Or those that have no money and are looking at "alternative avenues" to staying here. I think this could be one of the brightest moves immigration and Thailand could do. It may, just may, put a little pressure on the said mentioned countries to re-think their Visa issues for Thai citizens.

As for tourists who will stop coming??? Sure you see millions of people avoiding Laos because of the cost of a Visa.......people who want to come to Thailand will come regardless of a fee or not....those that feel the $30 or so will crush them financially or believe that it is unfair.....maybe go to Blackpool this year for your holiday.....no fee and just as nice!!

Well, my wife got her spouses visa for the UK with no problems, very easy, which also entitled her to work, 2 years later permanent residency, 1 more year british passport. done and dusted mate.

At least the Uk offer its citizens spouses the chance to become a permanent residents, based purely on marriage, as long as you can support her without claim benefits.

You forgot to mention the costs and the income bar.

Why not tell the whole story?

The process is not as simple as is implied

I sympathise with poor people from underdeveloped or dictatorial countries, who want to come to Europe for a better life.

Unfortunately, Europe is not big enough to give refuge too half the Asian and African populations.

Just an idea: maybe they can try to change things in their own countries, just like the Europeans did, many years ago.

You find the time to post in this tread 2 more posts, but you do not want to explain why I am a racist.

Or is it face?

Not sure about the racist part....but if you believe 50% of the people from Asia and Africa want to move to Europe......I have land in Thailand you can own. Tosh.

And if anybody needs to make "changes" perhaps all those European countries that have trashed parts of Asia and Africa make financial compensations would be a start...Belgium, France, Netherlands, England, Germany for a start.

It should be reciprocal I agree but there are few things that bothers me.

Thsi and few Arab countries always blame the western countries as discriminative towards them, but there is no such nationality available that doesn't love in the western countries like USA, Canada, UK, France, Australia are just few for an example and to be a permanent resident it's not hard at all, where as In thailand we all know how difficult it is to get PR. Arabs are so racist towards their kind even and get I g PR is damn hard, they call the rest if the works as racist towards Muslims but they themselves don't even allow other Muslim people to stay. Some of the countries in the gulf that were built with the blood and sweat of construction workers from countries like Nepal, Myanmar , Bangladesh are treated with unimaginable cruelty that I have seen on YouTube, reason news papers, where is their sympathy abd the sense of sharing?????

The point that immigration Cheif pointed that it will stop criminals to fly in? It's a joke, cause if someone is hiding or wants to enter Thailand to hideaway fee if 1000 baht will never stop any one.

• Like 1

Or is it face?

Not sure about the racist part....but if you believe 50% of the people from Asia and Africa want to move to Europe......I have land in Thailand you can own. Tosh.

And if anybody needs to make "changes" perhaps all those European countries that have trashed parts of Asia and Africa make financial compensations would be a start...Belgium, France, Netherlands, England, Germany for a start.

Paying compensation, I support that idea.

But to who are we going to pay? Surely not to the asian and african governments?

About asians and africans wanting to move to europe: you never read about the boat refugees drowning in the mediterrenean sea?

I find it very unfortunate, and I wish things were different, but allowing africans and asians into europe hasslefree is just not possible.

Oh and thanks for not calling me a racist.

wow.Thailand really want to scare off tourists from coming,they should be making it more attractive to people to come to Thailand considering all the problems they are having at the moment,I think they will shoot themselves in the foot with this one.

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

tosh.

The Thai system is pretty straight forward when compared to the byzantine rules and regs of most western countries. The regular reporting and annual extensions are annoying, granted, but it is hardly rocket science.

The only people who find Thai visa rules a problem are the ones who have the expectation that they can turn up and stay as long as they want, just cause they are spending a bit of dosh.

Or those that have no money and are looking at "alternative avenues" to staying here. I think this could be one of the brightest moves immigration and Thailand could do. It may, just may, put a little pressure on the said mentioned countries to re-think their Visa issues for Thai citizens.

As for tourists who will stop coming??? Sure you see millions of people avoiding Laos because of the cost of a Visa.......people who want to come to Thailand will come regardless of a fee or not....those that feel the $30 or so will crush them financially or believe that it is unfair.....maybe go to Blackpool this year for your holiday.....no fee and just as nice!!

Why would anyone avoid Laos due to the $30 entrance fee? Absolutely inaccurate and pretty petty if you ask me - the visa takes only a few mins to issue (at VTE airport only like 1 min!) and you can enter and exit Laos as many times as you like without being questioned. Unlike Thailand, Laos is very consistent in the way it applies visa requirements, nor does it plan to make things more difficult for anyone anytime soon: virtually every international border with 4 out of 5 neighboring countries offers a Lao VOA for foreign nationals of all but 29 countries mostly in Africa and a few South Asian ones like Afghanistan and Sri Lanka. This means that either you don't need a visa at all (ASEAN nationals, Swiss, Luxembourg, Russians, Koreans and Japanese) or a VOA on arrival for everyone else.

Against all odds, I would say fair enough but that will not render the application easier to get to Europe ( I don't know about the States)

Nevertheless, some of us tend to forget that a fortune is generated by the visa fees for some European countries. Do not be mistaken, it is a great source of income

Of course,, one might object that immigration rules have to be tougher when it comes to enter the first world but this is not linked to the visa policy / hanfling really

tosh.

No. You are wrong. The Thai Immigration system changes at the drop of a hat and people are not notified. I have been getting a one year multiple entry non immigrant 'O' visa from Kuala Lumpur for the last 6 years and have never had a problem until last week. I was refused a one year visa and given a 3 month single entry. Note I have been married to a Thai for 10 years and have proof of many times the minimum financial requirement. According to the 'rules' I more than qualify for the one year visa. The embassy staff did not give me any reason why my visa was refused. So basically they move the goal posts any time they like even without writing this into law first. Apparently I am not the first, as there are threads elsewhere on this site that report the same. Multiple entry visas are now not being issued at many embassies.

So, I therefore find your last line a bit offensive, since in most civilised countries marriage to a national of that country afford one some rights in terms of tenure. I certainly don't consider I have the right to stay here long term just because I am spending money.

"exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers" Those staying on long-term visas are not included in this free scheme and, if the OP is correct, nor are Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish People.

"The 17 countries are Australia, England, the United States, Germany, France, Sweden, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland,Norway, Israel, United Arab Emitrates, Spain and New Zealand."

And amazing no Russians?

Not amazing at all. Russia and Thailand already have a reciprocal 30-day tourist visa waiver for each others nationals arrivals by any method (air, sea and land).

This article fails to make clear whether they are talking about charging for transit visas or just cancelling a temporary waiver on fees for tourist visas. Charging for transit visas would be a big but not really practical, given Thailand's huge dependence on tourism income and the problems they have staffing up the Immigration countes at Swampy. Reciprocal visa fees and conditions would be a nice idea - Brazil forces Americans to get visas, Russia gives a harder time to Brits, Yanks and Israeli and China is trying to impose sort of reciprocal fees and conditions. But none of these countries are dependent on tourism income.

It must be some idiot grandstanding or a boneheaded reporter or probably a combination of the two. Let's see if any National Police Order is ever issued about this.

• Like 1

Are you kidding me? All the 17 countries can get 30 days VOA now, why they think visa makes refugees and criminals want to come and commit crimes?

Actually none of the countries listed qualify for VOA, they do qualify for visa exemption however which is why they get a 30 day entry stamp.

The need for a visa would enable more screening than visa exemption.

Hundreds of thousands of people come to Thailand to visit, and these lunatics are basing their logic on merely hundreds of Thais visiting other countries for the purpose of what: shopping at Macy's and popping in to Disney Land: ... legitimately contributing to the economy of those other countries? Doubtful. I don't think those other countries even have a statistic for what Thais bring to their economy when it comes to Thai tourism to their countries.

We're not talking about students and fiances here.

Moreover, the tourist industry in Thailand brings in a heckuva lot more money than Thai tourists bring to other countries. What? Thais go abroad and spend thousands of dollars? Not likely. More than likely they are boyfriends and girlfriends being supported by the natives of that country whilst they are there, and do not contribute one iota to the economy.

Additionally, it is the foreigner coming here to Thailand who does so with their own money and their own effort in order to spend, and they do it when they can take time off from their job. I'll say that one again: and they do it when they can take time off from their job.

I would be certain that were we to look at it the other way around, the Thai who is visiting one of the other countries has the foreigner do all the footwork and paperwork to get the Thai to the other country, and purchases the plane tickets, and then puts the Thai up with room and board and spends money on them whilst they are there ... and I seriously doubt the Thai is taking time off from their job throughout this entire charade.

Yes! Thailand: the HUB of logic and bullet-riddled feet.

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

This part of storey leads me to believe it free tourist visas again like they did in the past.

The Immigration Bureau will ask the Foreign Ministry to reconsider the decision to exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers from 17 countries

The fact that it appears this a decision by the MFA also leads me believe it since they are the ones who issue visas.

It is pretty tough keeping up with the changes..as they happen almost monthly. One must keep on their toes and watch for signs of changes. Nice to have Thai Visa forum to keep up. Sometimes posters give advance info, as they frequent the borders. The newspapers are sometimes a bit behind on the actual implementations.

You forgot to mention the costs and the income bar.

Why not tell the whole story?

The process is not as simple as is implied

Well yes, I mean if you are on a low salary in the Uk then, yes it may be difficult, I was clearing about £2000 pm, but I had saved about £6000 at the time, so my bank statements looked good, we had lots of history together and had already been married for 3 years with 2 children.

but the costs were OK, I paid visa world to do everything for us 100,000 baht which was for a spouse visa(also was 60-70 baht to the pound then, they done a good job. that was it, plus the airfares for all of us, that was the biggest expense.

When my wifes 2 year visa finished, permanent residency was £1200 approx. 1 year later the passport was about £80