Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope this prompts the UK to reconsider the need for Thais to have visas to enter the UK.

Purely selfish, getting one for my lady is pain!

I don't see this happening, visas put off tourists.

Why would they do that just to facilitate your wife's entry to a land where she gets full citizen rights as soon as she steps off the plane?

No, some rights are not available to her, benefits were specifically excluded.

And the right of residence.

But we don't want them.

I would like to feel free for her and I to jump on a plane and go to my country of birth, for a visit.

The current visa process puts me off........and I put off any ideas of taking her again.

I would also like to take her onward onto the continent.

As countries develop they should be reconsidered as potential sources of tourism for the UK, and their entry made easier.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

It seems that this subject stirred a lot of emotions and responses, and I can understand why,

the Thai government is simply playing sill tit for tat games... and they're known for that, I personally

don't think this will become the new norm, Thailand has a lot to lose than to play silly games....

• Like 1

I honestly believe in Alle Menschen werden Bruder.

I sympathise with poor people from underdeveloped or dictatorial countries, who want to come to Europe for a better life.

Unfortunately, Europe is not big enough to give refuge too half the Asian and African populations.

Just an idea: maybe they can try to change things in their own countries, just like the Europeans did, many years ago.

Then all people can travel visa free to all countries.

inaccurate racist garbage

Not many times I have been called inaccurate.

Never have I been called a racist.

Can you explain your post please, or were you just being vitriolic for no reason at all?

• Like 1

To be fair Thailand should accept asylum seekers (that's what Europe iks doing): house them, feed them, clothe them and give a monthly allowance until administration accords them residence permit instead of pushing them (Rohingas) back into the sea without water/food....

• Like 1

These decisions are not made after research or any form of rational thought - they are nape-of-the-neck decisions made by officials who in reality probably got their job thorgh graft and nepotism and as a result simply do not have the necessary skills to do the job.

270 wingers over 1000 baht,that doesn't apply To most of u anyway. 1000. I spend more than that on tips on a good night out .

I think if you look at the majority of these posts rather than the simple cost, they are questioning the rationality or appropriateness of these proposals.

• Like 1

let us ask in our home countries

to get the foreigners out, every 30 or 90 days

and report to police every 90 days

and let them show millions of baht on their accounts

and let them beg every year that they have enough money to support themselves

and off course, no social security and no land buying rights, off course, except in the name of a local

• Like 1

OP needs to be corrected in that it's Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The way I understand it is:

United Kingdom consists of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland.

Great Briton is an island.

Some territory of Wales, Scotland, and England is located in minor islands, not GB per se.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

A 3,900 baht fee would certainly put people off. Since Thailand is a country that currently goes for quantity of quality, the costs would far outweight the benefits. If they truly did change the type of tourist that they were aiming for, it would change the face of many tourist destinations and have massive repercussions. I imagine those who would be hurt most are the 'Mum & Pop' establishments, from guesthouses, to tour organisers, restaurants, and bars. The truth is, currently Thailand needs these tourists, all of them.

Western countries on the other hand, don't need Thailand so much. While it may hurt a little, there wouldn't be protests in the street and road bloakades by angry tuktuk drivers.

FInnaly, I might add that many countries charge Thais a higher visa fee for a reason. There are a small but significant proportion of Thais who do things in their host countries which they are not meant. This spoils it for others, and costs a significant amount of resources to try and combat. Yes, I know there are plenty of foreigners in Thailand who do the same, but thats because in Thailand it is easy to do... and hey, the Thais themselves lead the way in doing it. It you could show me that perhaps the money collected from this tourist visa was going to be used to clean the scum from Thailand, perhaps I wouldn't mind paying it. As it stands, I know it will go into the back pocket of high ranking immigration officials further fueling the corruption problem, not combatting it.

I am Thai married and my wife applied for a visa to Denmark last summer. My god what a circus. All the paper work, interview, all the waiting, all the money it cost just to get 20 days visa, so I could take my wife on a holiday to visit family. Totally crazy. European countries treat Thais like there are criminals.

I think – god idea to let the Europeans taste their own medicine.

But, but, but it will cost Thailand a lot of tourist. I think tourist will choose Vietnam, Cambodia and other countries.

Thai bahts may even come down a little more not a bad idea to charge tourist.

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

I wish that Thai politicians and civil servants would read posts like this. Maybe they would learn something.

sounds very fair to me. The UK charges 3900 visa fee and on top of that you need to get medical cert and so on. I think Thailand should charge at least 3900 to UK nationals. And they should insist tourists take out health insurance especially the Australians who of because of their stupidity end up in Thai hospitals costing the government a lot of money.

Edited by justathought

OP needs to be corrected in that it's Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The way I understand it is:

United Kingdom consists of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland.

Great Briton is an island.

Some territory of Wales, Scotland, and England is located in minor islands, not GB per se.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Briton is spelt Britain.

The name of the United Kingdom is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Some territory of Northern Ireland is probably also located on islands and rocks offshore.

So I'd say you're close enough for practical purposes.

SC

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

So no difference at all then.

My experiences some time ago with one particular foreign country (one of the 17 listed) matches your description of systemic failure perfectly.

Jerry

whistling.gif Many young European backpackers start their tour of Southeast Asia with Thailand using Thailand as their "base country" for that tour of Southeast Asia.

All lot of this is because of the free entry they can get from the no visa required entrance they can get at the airport and the 30 days that gets them in Thailand.

I know the Immigration and the Thai tourist authorities don't regard them as the "quality high-end tourists" they want to attract, but they should rethink that attitude.

Many of the older re-visitors to Thailand ..... the middle aged ones in the shopping malls in Bangkok now .... whether they are European, Japanese, or Chinese.... STARTED first trip to Thailand as a young backpacker" and are returning years later as the high spending "quality tourists" the Tourist Authority of Thailand loves to brag about.

"Tourism" in Thailand in these days is big business, about separating tourists from their cash as quickly as possible.

Those middle aged and older high spending tourists often started in and developed their love for Thailand as young backpackers.

If they don't fall in love with Thailand as young people, they won't bother to return later in life.

And they won't be those "high quality tourists" TAT so loves to talk about, will they?

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Mixed feelings about this. Uk immigration is a nightmare for a lot foreigners - I was married to a Swede 30 years ago and we ended up leaving the UK for Sweden it was such a nightmare. It's the same story now with my Thai wife. Hoops to jump through loads of costs involved so I can understand why the Thai immigration feels this way - but then I think about the other stuff like owning land, boat, even being married and having to show fixed incomes from home so I can stay with my missus... sigh.. nothing is ever simple is it

Alwyn...the only thing "simple" was yesterday....keep calm...carry on.

Just tea in a storm cup...

Good call sunshine51..

I am surprised it took this long for Australians (I am one) in particular their visa system is not that easy. I also assume then that this will also mean that U turns at the borders will also stop and renewals with have to be done at Immigration Centres or out of country.

Seems to me that the Immigration department have got it right. I can come and go as I please to Thailand as often as I like and providing I do not stay longer than 30 days there is no fee, no vetting of my criminal record or my personal finances. I believe that the Thai people should have the same priviledges if they want to visit any of the 17 countries mentioned in the OP. That is the reciprocity that the Immigration chief is looking for.

All this waffle about owning land and 90 day reporting has nothing to do with what immigration are trying to achieve.

I am embarrassed every time a Thai person asks me why it is so difficult for them to get into my country (Australia) but so easy for me to get into their country?

It is really a racist policy on the part of those 17 countries believing that all Thais would overstay or work if they let them in without making them jump through all the bullshit hoops.

• Like 1

Thanks for this Maestro!

I'm I reading this correctly that the "Immigration commissioner" (as termed in the article) is just a generic term? Meaning that the aforementioned police officer is under the "wing" of either the Director general of Police Department or the Commander of Immigration Division, and is formally not actually a member of the commission.

The newspaper article refers to the same Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol as immigration commissioner who on the website of the Immigration Bureau is labelled as "Commissioner, Immigration Bureau". Further down in the hierarchy is a "Police Maj.Gen.Takengpong Wangkaew, Commander of Commissioner", and it may be he who is a member of the Immgration Commission. I guess one would have to look at the ranking in Thai to figure out who is what.

I see. Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol is the head of the Immigration Bureau, the most senior Commander (position not rank), and by this he (or his designate) is a member and the secretary of The Immigration Commission that the Immigration Act provides for.

Now by the looks of it the Foreign Ministry does not plays any part in making decisions about immigration. So the whole story could be about:

Junior Member of the Immigration Commission ask Foreign Ministry to put pressure on 17 governments to ease visas restrictions for Thai citizen, under the looming threat to potentially change the current visa arrangements for these foreigners.

Why this is all announced in public, and why this initiative would come from Immigration Bureau, is a mystery of the machinery.

Edited by Morakot

Or how do we get the last buck out of these tourists ...... They can also start to think about an exit fee !!!bah.gif

years ago they DID have an exit fee! it was five hundred Baht, which is now included in the price of your ticket! and as for visa fees, monkey msee monkey do! people from the U.S.don't have a foot to stand on! try getting a Thai without a lot of money a tourist visa to the U.S.!