Chiang Mai red-shirts vow support for US Ambassador

webfact

Chiang Mai Reds Vow Support For US Ambassador

reds.jpg
Anti-government protesters confronting police officers in front of the US Embassy in Bangkok, 19 December 2013

BANGKOK: -- Representatives of Redshirts in Chiang Mai province have issued a statement vowing support for US Ambassador to Thailand in the aftermath of anti-government rally in front of US Embassy in Bangkok yesterday.

On 19 December over 500 protesters led by the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT) broke away from a large demonstration organised by the People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State and marched to the US Embassy, which was located on Wireless Road.

Mr. Uthai Yodmanee and Mr. Nititorn Lamluea, leaders of the NSPRT, said they want US President Barack Obama to remove US Ambassador Kristy Kenny from her position, accusing Ms. Kenny of tacitly supporting the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra by saying in previous interviews that she endorses the new election called by Ms. Yingluck.

Ms. Kenny′s statement has angered the protesters so much that one speaker on PCAD rally stage threatened to lead the protesters to storm into the US Embassy as a retaliation.

There were moments when it appeared the protesters were bent on breaking into the heavily fortified compound yesterday, with the NSPRT leaders demanding that the police retreat from their position around the embassy.

However, after a negotiation with Lumpini Police, the NSPRT agreed to withdraw from the embassy, but only after they raised the Thai national flag onto a makeshift flagpole and sang national anthem.

In a response to the NSPRT′s rally, representatives of the Redshirts in northern province of Chiang Mai issued a statement praising Ms. Kenny′s endorsement of the new election, scheduled to be held on 2 February 2014.

The statement was jointly issued by United Front of Democracy Against Dicatorship (UDD) and the local Redshirts group called ′Rak Chiang Mai 51′.

“The NSPRT denounced you [Ms. Kenny] for supporting the election, which emphasise the importance and the necessity of the democratic regime, on 2 February 2014," the statement reads, "Their act, we must insist, does not correspond to the desire of many Thai people in this country.”

It continued, “We are ashamed of their decision. We understand that even though you are a foreigner, you have shown your love and understanding about Thailand and Thai culture in many occasions ... We, Chiang Mai people, are supporting you".

The statement concluded by thanking Ms. Kenny′s efforts to strengthen Thai democracy.

Over 200 Redshirts also marched to the US Consulate in Chiang Mai to present the letter to the Consulate officials. Pol.Col. Aksorn Wongyai, Director of Mueang Chiang Mai Police, received the letter and promised to pass the statement to the US Ambassador.

The Chiang Mai Redshirts later marched to the Office of the Election Commission of Thailand (ECT) in the province, to demonstrate their support for the new general election.

Mr. Walter M. Braunohler, spokesman of the US Embassy in Bangkok, told Khaosod today that the US wishes to see peaceful solution in the ongoing Thai crisis.

In a telephone interview, he firmly denied the allegations made by the anti-government protesters, stating that the United States has no wish to interfere in the Thai politics.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE56VTBNamMxT1E9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-21

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US expresses wish to see peace process in Thailand

BANGKOK, 21 December 2013 (NNT) – The US Embassy in Bangkok has confirmed its neutrality towards the Thai political situation while emphasizing its support for a peace dialogue between conflicting parties.

In an interview with the press, US Embassy Spokesman Walter M. Braunohler strongly rejected the anti-government protesters’ accusation that the US was responding to their movement with bias. The spokesman’s denial came after supporters of the Student and People Network for Thailand’s Reform gathered in front of the embassy compound to demand a replacement of US Ambassador Kristie Kenney.

The group claimed that Mrs Kenney had taken a stance supporting the Yingluck Shinawatra administration which could be deemed as an intervention in Thailand’s internal affairs.

Mr Braunohler clarified that the US was only hopeful that all factions of Thai people would agree to enter into a peace dialogue and together end their conflicts through democratic means. He said the embassy was well aware of the fact that the current political turmoil was an internal issue that would need to be solved by the Thai people themselves.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-21 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

“We are ashamed of their decision. We understand that even though you are a foreigner, you have shown your love and understanding about Thailand and Thai culture in many occasions ... We, Chiang Mai people, are supporting you".

So there's hope for the expats? A trifle of true acceptance there?

• Like 1

BANGKOK, 21 December 2013 (NNT) – The US Embassy in Bangkok has confirmed its neutrality towards the Thai political situation while emphasizing its support for a peace dialogue between conflicting parties.

In an interview with the press, US Embassy Spokesman Walter M. Braunohler strongly rejected the anti-government protesters’ accusation that the US was responding to their movement with bias. The spokesman’s denial came after supporters of the Student and People Network for Thailand’s Reform gathered in front of the embassy compound to demand a replacement of US Ambassador Kristie Kenney.

The group claimed that Mrs Kenney had taken a stance supporting the Yingluck Shinawatra administration which could be deemed as an intervention in Thailand’s internal affairs.

Mr Braunohler clarified that the US was only hopeful that all factions of Thai people would agree to enter into a peace dialogue and together end their conflicts through democratic means. He said the embassy was well aware of the fact that the current political turmoil was an internal issue that would need to be solved by the Thai people themselves.

nntlogo.jpg

They got caught supporting the Thaksin regime and now they are back peddling, yet with every statement they make, they just bolster the fact that they are in fact interfering with Thai internal affairs.

They had better learn once and for all to keep their comments to themselves. This is sod all to do with the USA.

Next time they just might not be so fortunate and could lose that little bit of prime Bangkok land they call America.

First it was demands that Yingluk stand down and now there are demands that the U.S Abassador be replaced. "gathered in front of the embassy compound to demand a replacement of US Ambassador Kristie Kenney".

Has this Suthep completely lost his marbles when he now thinks he can dictate to the U.S as to who will/will not be their Ambassador.

What next, President Obama to stand down or the united Nations are handed over to him before he will surrender himself to authorities.

Then you have all these yellow shirt nutcases blindly following this lunatic.

This post reflects a very accurate measure of your insanity.

Almost every sentence is conjured up from your imagination.

You have to be very careful, Suthep (or anyone supporting him) may read these defaming accusations you spout without any evidence and you could well find yourself the subject of an arrest warrant under the determining laws.

Suthep still has rights here... You don't. It is not difficult to get a court order to demand your IP address from TV.

Edited by Nibbles48

BANGKOK, 21 December 2013 (NNT) The US Embassy in Bangkok has confirmed its neutrality towards the Thai political situation while emphasizing its support for a peace dialogue between conflicting parties.

In an interview with the press, US Embassy Spokesman Walter M. Braunohler strongly rejected the anti-government protesters accusation that the US was responding to their movement with bias. The spokesmans denial came after supporters of the Student and People Network for Thailands Reform gathered in front of the embassy compound to demand a replacement of US Ambassador Kristie Kenney.

The group claimed that Mrs Kenney had taken a stance supporting the Yingluck Shinawatra administration which could be deemed as an intervention in Thailands internal affairs.

nntlogo.jpg

They got caught supporting the Thaksin regime and now they are back peddling, yet with every statement they make, they just bolster the fact that they are in fact interfering with Thai internal affairs.

They had better learn once and for all to keep their comments to themselves. This is sod all to do with the USA.

Next time they just might not be so fortunate and could lose that little bit of prime Bangkok land they call America.

Your post was good for a laugh. No actual facts stated...just baseless assumptions. And the part about America possibly losing the embassy! Really had me rolling.

Blow it off at your peril... You think the Thai students won't storm this embassy? You are very wrong.

Piss them off enough and they will take it over, they took over their own ministries and Government house, you think they are afraid to take this place too?

Never doubt the Thai people.

First it was demands that Yingluk stand down and now there are demands that the U.S Abassador be replaced. "gathered in front of the embassy compound to demand a replacement of US Ambassador Kristie Kenney".

Has this Suthep completely lost his marbles when he now thinks he can dictate to the U.S as to who will/will not be their Ambassador.

What next, President Obama to stand down or the united Nations are handed over to him before he will surrender himself to authorities.

You have to be very careful, Suthep (or anyone supporting him) may read these defaming accusations you spout without any evidence and you could well find yourself the subject of an arrest warrant under the determining laws.

Suthep still has rights here... You don't. It is not difficult to get a court order to demand your IP address from TV.

if I am that much of a threat to his plan to rule then he can go for it. My highlighted comment was taken straight out of the Nations story.

You may very well think he is the Mesiah sent from above and worship at his feet and good on you that is your right. I still think the guy has lost his marbles and is a total nutcase. He will be rounding up a lot of people across the world who don't agree with him.

You said... and I quote...

'Has this Suthep completely lost his marbles when he now thinks he can dictate to the U.S as to who will/will not be their Ambassador.'

You pasted from 'The Nation' did you? I see no Nation report here. Get it right for once.

I did not see Suthep being reported as gathering outside of any embassy and demanding the ambassador be replaced..

As far as I am aware it was the protesters led by the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT)

NOT THE PDRC,

Do you deny that you constantly blame all activities by factions totally unrelated to Suthep's PDRC on Suthep himself launching into regular tirades calling him a 'lunatic' and a 'madman'.??

That is why you are exposing yourself.... I would be very careful if I were you, defamation cases in Thailand are a considered a criminal act here and are very commonly enforced. It is one thing to be critical, and another thing to go accusing people of being nutcases on a public forum. Especially people with extreme amounts of power.

It's up to you.

Still stand by my opinion of him and if he want's to extradite me for an opinion then go for it.

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- Representatives of Redshirts in Chiang Mai province have issued a statement vowing support for US Ambassador to Thailand in the aftermath of anti-government rally in front of US Embassy in Bangkok yesterday.

As the Ambassador says "Er, that's OK lads. We can handle it."

if I am that much of a threat to his plan to rule then he can go for it. My highlighted comment was taken straight out of the Nations story.

You may very well think he is the Mesiah sent from above and worship at his feet and good on you that is your right. I still think the guy has lost his marbles and is a total nutcase. He will be rounding up a lot of people across the world who don't agree with him.

'Has this Suthep completely lost his marbles when he now thinks he can dictate to the U.S as to who will/will not be their Ambassador.'

You pasted from 'The Nation' did you? I see no Nation report here. Get it right for once.

I did not see Suthep being reported as gathering outside of any embassy and demanding the ambassador be replaced..

As far as I am aware it was the protesters led by the Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand (NSPRT)

NOT THE PDRC,

Do you deny that you constantly blame all activities by factions totally unrelated to Suthep's PDRC on Suthep himself launching into regular tirades calling him a 'lunatic' and a 'madman'.??

That is why you are exposing yourself.... I would be very careful if I were you, defamation cases in Thailand are a considered a criminal act here and are very commonly enforced. It is one thing to be critical, and another thing to go accusing people of being nutcases on a public forum. Especially people with extreme amounts of power.

It's up to you.

Still stand by my opinion of him and if he want's to extradite me for an opinion then go for it.

So you are not even in Thailand, and yet you feel qualified to make constant political rants all day long about Thai politics?

It doesn't get any crazier than that. Your posts are becoming more and more unqualified by the minute.

Lord this is turning into Prasat Preah Vihear type of game - Lets create a diplomatic brouhaha where nothing existed.

I hope both red and Yellos understand we are heading into the xmas week; college Bowl games, final games of the NFL season, Griswold Christmas vacation videos, Bad Santa repeats .... Embassy Staff just don't have the time for this charade!

biggrin.png

Quote: "The group claimed that Mrs Kenney had taken a stance supporting the Yingluck Shinawatra administration which could be deemed as an intervention in Thailand’s internal affairs." I bet if Mrs Kenney has said they supported the yellow shirts and all of it's 101 groups that the group would not be saying such a thing. Strange how perspective can change things

• Like 2

NOT THE PDRC,

It's up to you.

Put a lid on it.

I suggest you give that advice to Chooka.

"and marched to the US Embassy, which was located on Wireless Road."

Did they move?

"Mr. Walter M. Braunohler, spokesman of the US Embassy in Bangkok, told Khaosod today that the US wishes to see peaceful solution in the ongoing Thai crisis.
In a telephone interview, he firmly denied the allegations made by the anti-government protesters, stating that the United States has no wish to interfere in the Thai politics."

Well now we all know its all quite the opposite. even if they "wish" not to interfere.