Yingluck voted as 'Darling of the Isaan People'

webfact

And So she certainly should be the Darling ..Little Doubt about it .

Its Called Democracy , and One vote = One Vote , Its far from a perfect system , yet its by Far the Best I've ever seen .

What the Other Side should consider , is how they can Assist the Poor , things just cant go on with the attitude that a genuine democraticly

government can be tossed out before YOU ( ot I ..or our team ) Doesn't like them , this is how Civil War is Created , with the Military holding Sway ..

Its like a Marginal seat in Any Democracy , Accept the Umpires View , and Go about trying to gain votes Next Time ...

And " WOW ' , guess what ? Start with some Assistance with regard the Isan people , and take the focus from yourself .

Another election won !!!

This is as funny as a poll held in the heartland of Thaksin.

How about a national poll to get the real truth.

Or how about one in the south?

It is like someone doing a poll in the middle of Old Trafford asking them which is the best team in the Premiership..... totally meaningless.

Yet you use it as a basis to support your own deranged views.

So funny. Looks like uneducated farangs will always side with uneducated Thais... birds of a feather flock together. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited to add:

49.22 from the most hardcore support voting area in Thailand.... I would see this as a bit of a disaster if I were you mate. I would have expected 99%

So Delightful to look down from the High Horse Of which you Sit , uneducated support Uneducated is hardly worthy of a responce .

Any Politician around the World , In pretty much any Poll who Snagged 49% of a voting group that Included Soap Stars ..

Would be incredibly happy I believe .

Name me a British Politicain who could have achieved the Same ?? Thatcher Maybe ?

The obvious place to Start for a free and Fair Democracy , would be to start Consulting with leaders from the North - East , a great starting

point would be Improved Education systems .

• Like 1

The pretty face of kleptocracy continues to spellbind the simple-minded. Her rice scam has torpedoed the future of the northern rice farmers but she gets voted the "darling" of the Isaanites. Mega Lolz as they say.

I wonder how many of the male voters were seeing her as a politician?whistling.gif

"She received 49.22 percent of the votes from 1,177 respondents sampled from 20 northeastern provinces for being the most favoured female politician"

The typical Isaan voter probably can't even name another female politician. With that considered, it is amazing that she received only 49%. It would seem "none of the above" was more popular than YS. A survey of only 1,177 people isn't very statistically significant considering the population of many millions in Isaanland.

1,177 respondents is definitely an acceptable sample size for a survey of this nature. At a 95% confidence level, it would have a margin of error better than 2.5%. This is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, once you get samples of this size, further increments in sample size have relatively little effect regardless of population size (so long as the sampling itself is unbiased).

To make things more concrete:

Assuming the population of Isaan is 25 million... given the sample size here and the fact that 50% chose Yingluck, had the whole Isaan population been surveyed, we could be '95% certain' that the result would be between 47% and 53% in favour of Yingluck. So basically the same outcome.

This is why we do sampling... to avoid the cost of surveying most of the population.

As for your other comment (which smacks of contempt for the people of Isaan). I wonder how many voters in your home country can name two or more sitting female politicians (as opposed to political activists, like Palin in the US, etc.).

How do we know, for instance, if the sample was mainly form the Red villages?

You don't - but that's not an issue of sample size. That's why I included the caveat, "so long as the sampling is unbiased".

Farming is an honorable pursuit when mixed with a quality education and that's what's missing from

the equation.

Though it's debatable whether a traditional (i.e., western-style) education is needed if you plan to spend your life harvesting rice... Not much use for calculus and physics in the rice paddy.

Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:
aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:

"She received 49.22 percent of the votes from 1,177 respondents sampled from 20 northeastern provinces for being the most favoured female politician"

The typical Isaan voter probably can't even name another female politician. With that considered, it is amazing that she received only 49%. It would seem "none of the above" was more popular than YS. A survey of only 1,177 people isn't very statistically significant considering the population of many millions in Isaanland.

1,177 respondents is definitely an acceptable sample size for a survey of this nature. At a 95% confidence level, it would have a margin of error better than 2.5%. This is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, once you get samples of this size, further increments in sample size have relatively little effect regardless of population size (so long as the sampling itself is unbiased).

Assuming the population of Isaan is 25 million... given the sample size here and the fact that 50% chose Yingluck, had the whole Isaan population been surveyed, we could be '95% certain' that the result would be between 47% and 53% in favour of Yingluck. So basically the same outcome.

This is why we do sampling... to avoid the cost of surveying most of the population.

As for your other comment (which smacks of contempt for the people of Isaan). I wonder how many voters in your home country can name two or more sitting female politicians (as opposed to political activists, like Palin in the US, etc.).

(so long as the sampling itself is unbiased) That certainly sums it up.

Do you know where it was taken, who participated, was it a proper sampling of the general population of Isaanland or was it was taken in front of a 7-11 on the street outside of Khon Kaen University? What were the questions that were asked? Didn't think you knew. That would pretty much discount your entire argument for validity of the survey and imaginary confidence level and certainty in the margin level of error that you claim with great authority. The fact is that you only know the very limited info that appeared in the OP. Only a fool would attempt to defend a simplified Thai news article with 95% confidence and 2.5% margin of error.

YS is really the only one they would know and she received less than 50%, with number 2 receiving 2%. That indicates that "none of the above" received about as many votes as YS. Hardly makes her a winner.

Doesn't smack of contempt because that it is the way it is in Isaanland. How could anyone else receive votes when there aren't any well known female political figures to vote for? I hope you aren't naïve enough to believe that Isaan voters are well versed in who the players are. From what I heard from family members is that they are mostly concern about who to vote for in return for 500 baht they will receive and if they will get any benefits like the rice scam.

I'm fully aware of the threats to the validity of surveys. Your initial argument took issue with the sample size, and I showed that specific concern was misguided. I never argued that the survey results were valid, though I have no reason to disbelieve them in the present context (a poll about Yingluck taken in Isaan). The results, in fact, are completely consistent with expectations. Despite that, you seem intent on questioning the results based on nothing more than supposition and near paranoia. I'm sorry, but it's hard to believe that the passion with which Reds have supported the PTP (etc) is all to do with a paltry 500bt payment; it has much more to do with no longer feeling disenfranchised by a system that has ignored them for generations. That seems hard for some people around here to digest...

If only the otherside could bring themselves to showing the poor some respect, then they mightn't have to do their petty footstomping, coups, and city-halting every couple of years because they cannot win an election.

But my Lord, rich and powerful Thais be humble enough to do that.... only the Shinawats have the intelligence and humbleness to do that.

What rubbish.

How do we know, for instance, if the sample was mainly form the Red villages?

You don't - but that's not an issue of sample size. That's why I included the caveat, "so long as the sampling is unbiased".

Additionally, would the Esan people be strongly aware of any other female politicians?

Fair enough they would know Paveena because she's been high profile and fairly well respected for

her women's support foundation etc., for quite a few years but in the parliament only six months or so.

No other contenders.

"If the Dems ever want to win an election they have to offer more money for the peoples' votes." -

Just my opinion, after being married to the daughter of a Surin rice farmer for a few years, who openly admits the only reason he and his family vote for PTP is because they pay the most money.

You can babble on all you like about the Issan people loving Thaksin because of all he has done for them but the facts are if someone else came along and offered more money for their loyalty they would jump ship in an instant. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1443177670 width=25 height=19>

Additionally:

I suspect it would be interesting to explore 'all he has done for them'.

For many it's close to nothing except more debt.

But the spin machines can be clever. In many cases simply by continuous hate speeches about the opposition.

Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:
aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:
Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:
aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:aguy30, on 21 Dec 2013 - 11:58, said:

Do you know where it was taken, who participated, was it a proper sampling of the general population of Isaanland or was it was taken in front of a 7-11 on the street outside of Khon Kaen University? What were the questions that were asked? Didn't think you knew. That would pretty much discount your entire argument for validity of the survey and imaginary confidence level and certainty in the margin level of error that you claim with great authority. The fact is that you only know the very limited info that appeared in the OP. Only a fool would attempt to defend a simplified Thai news article with 95% confidence and 2.5% margin of error.

YS is really the only one they would know and she received less than 50%, with number 2 receiving 2%. That indicates that "none of the above" received about as many votes as YS. Hardly makes her a winner.

Doesn't smack of contempt because that it is the way it is in Isaanland. How could anyone else receive votes when there aren't any well known female political figures to vote for? I hope you aren't naïve enough to believe that Isaan voters are well versed in who the players are. From what I heard from family members is that they are mostly concern about who to vote for in return for 500 baht they will receive and if they will get any benefits like the rice scam.

I'm fully aware of the threats to the validity of surveys. Your initial argument took issue with the sample size, and I showed that specific concern was misguided. I never argued that the survey results were valid, though I have no reason to disbelieve them in the present context (a poll about Yingluck taken in Isaan). The results, in fact, are completely consistent with expectations. Despite that, you seem intent on questioning the results based on nothing more than supposition and near paranoia. I'm sorry, but it's hard to believe that the passion with which Reds have supported the PTP (etc) is all to do with a paltry 500bt payment; it has much more to do with no longer feeling disenfranchised by a system that has ignored them for generations. That seems hard for some people around here to digest...

Amazing how you can justify a survey about which you have no direct knowledge. Your justification of a possible BS survey is a complete guess on your part and your attempt at justification is absurd based on the fact that you actually don't know any of the details. Sorry if I didn't expand my reason why 1100 people might not be significant. You don't have any knowledge of where and who was surveyed. If 1100 people were surveyed on a street corner outside of the university, in front of MBK, in Hua Hin or Phuket. You don't know if it is an accurate representation of a of the NE part of country or not.

You are typical of people that think they are "smart" and think they know everything. Really "smart" people know they don't know everything and are quick to understand when they don't have all the answers. They don't make gross assumptions and then pretend they are offering facts.

Never mind, I'm sure you don't understand. With your expertise in justifying unknowns, you should consider being a consultant to the various Thai government agencies that present "facts".

Edited by aguy30

Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 12:11, said:
aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 00:06, said:
Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:Docno, on 21 Dec 2013 - 22:03, said:

Amazing how you can justify a survey about which you have no direct knowledge. Your justification of a possible BS survey is a complete guess on your part and your attempt at justification is absurd based on the fact that you actually don't know any of the details. Sorry if I didn't expand my reason why 1100 people might not be significant. You don't have any knowledge of where and who was surveyed. If 1100 people were surveyed on a street corner outside of the university, in front of MBK, in Hua Hin or Phuket. You don't know if it is an accurate representation of a of the NE part of country or not.

You are typical of people that think they are "smart" and think they know everything. Really "smart" people know they don't know everything and are quick to understand when they don't have all the answers. They don't make gross assumptions and then pretend they are offering facts.

Never mind, I'm sure you don't understand. With your expertise in justifying unknowns, you should consider being a consultant to the various Thai government agencies that present "facts".

I will repeat again... I never claimed the sampling procedure was not an issue. I, like you, do not know how the sampling was carried out. I have stated this quite clearly. This issue was with you asserting that the sample size was too small. When I made it clear that was not the case, you shifted the argument to the sampling procedure. I repeat (yet again) that we both know nothing of the procedure. You know no more than I. My only additional point, at that stage, was that it is quite reasonable to expect that Yingluck would be popular in Isaan. For this reason, the results of the survey are believable. That doesn't mean that they are accurate beyond a doubt. I'm not sure how I can be any clearer on this.

Edited by Docno

Docno, on 22 Dec 2013 - 14:40, said:
aguy30, on 22 Dec 2013 - 14:04, said:

I will repeat again... I never claimed the sampling procedure was not an issue. I, like you, do not know how the sampling was carried out. I have stated this quite clearly. This issue was with you asserting that the sample size was too small. When I made it clear that was not the case, you shifted the argument to the sampling procedure. I repeat (yet again) that we both know nothing of the procedure. You know no more than I. My only additional point, at that stage, was that it is quite reasonable to expect that Yingluck would be popular in Isaan. For this reason, the results of the survey are believable. That doesn't mean that they are accurate beyond a doubt. I'm not sure how I can be any clearer on this.

I concede. No point to continue the debate. You made it very clear that it is an acceptable size and accurate based on your HUGE assumption that is was a good sampling. Oh wait, you never claimed it was not a issue. This is really boring.

If the Dems ever want to win an election then they need to win the hearts of people nth of Bangkok. Shift their focus away from the minority elites and start working for the people who hold the majority of votes.

I think you're right there but can that be done with sensible policies? I believe the Democrats had a scheme to support the rice farmers which whilst not perfect did give money directly to the farmers unlike the current scheme which is apparently favouring land owners. This one looks like it was going to have to come to an abrupt halt at some point anyway causing more problems. They've already tried to reign it in once and had to back down.

They do need to focus on helping more than just their friends and those in Bangkok but doing it in a financially responsible way doesn't look as good to voters who may be struggling to cope under financial pressure.

If only the otherside could bring themselves to showing the poor some respect, then they mightn't have to do their petty footstomping, coups, and city-halting every couple of years because they cannot win an election.

But my Lord, rich and powerful Thais be humble enough to do that.... only the Shinawats have the intelligence and humbleness to do that.

What rubbish.

Democracy is Far from Perfect ..However its a better System than anything else I have seen .

The Imperfect , works to proclaim as close to a perfect result as one could wish for . No INternational commentator , worth his or her Salt

contests Thai Elections , Therefore one considers the government is the current ELECTED government .

They have the Right to Rule , and its certainly not the decision of Others .

This democracy is repected Internationally , ANY other outcome would Thailand back 20 Years .

Therefore , One could conclude that it would be Reasonable to look accross the Entire Electorate , and just take a look at what may assist .

At One vote one Value , it would be reasonable to Think that taking a Good hard look at some small Inroads in the North - East would be completely reasonable . Education may just be a good place to start .

The View " St* ff the uneducated ..Rice Farmer " , well its not only well out dated ..But , It simply is not going to win an Election .

Thailand MUST stay with Free and Fair Democracy , So the Problem simply is not going to " Move on ..Nothing to see here " .

I went to Krung Ching waterfall today to look around. There is a small town there I always stop at to eat Pa tai. I was not thinking and asked the lady why all the shops were closed. She said the bus to BKK ran today for the rally. To tell the truth I was kinda put back. In a small out of the way town, poor people, barely making a living. Supporting the crowds in BKK? Not sure about all the talk about the rich BKK only. Seems to me the poor people are supporting the movement in BKK. I asked my GF about it and she said even the people in Issan are finally starting to wake up? True or not I do not know.

Just what I have seen down south it is not just the rich. By a long way.

I'm kinda confused about the whole thing as usual... smile.png.pagespeed.ce.S_2hMPZPhC.png

GaryK I'll confirm what you observe. I'm in Bangkok, and this evening I have seen HUGE numbers of people moving across the bridge from Thonburi to take part in the event tomorrow (Sunday). They look like average people to me - not poor, not rich. Friendly, not extreme. I suspect that the rally tomorrow around Democracy Monument ('prathati parthai', I think they say) will be a big one.

To me this feels a bit like the 'Boston tea party' and the feeling of 'no taxation without representation'.

I can't believe that Yingluk can survive this. The people of Bangkok and central/southern Thailand will simply not accept her after what she's done. Thaksin himself, I'd think, is completely finished here.

But who knows.

I hope that the honest Democrats are planning to make connections with the people in the north/NE so as to unify this country once again.

It is very confusing!

C'mon there tilac it really isn't all that confusing, Suthep started all this to draw attention away from his murder indictment smile.png This Sunday will come and go just like any other Sunday and then Suthep will once again set a date for another final (cheesy.gif ) massive protest against the Government. Suthep can only make a fool of himself for so long until even those closest to this clown see him for what he really is thumbsup.gif In the end Suthep and his cronies will lose another election and Suthep and Abhisit will be tried for murder, Abhisit will likely flee to the U.K. and Suthep will likely rot in prison for the remainder of his life wai2.gif

As far as the murder charges go they don't need to flee the country as they were offered an amnesty more than once but declined. If you look closely at the evidence so far you'll see that the people needing an amnesty due to the killings in 2010 are the army and the government has already given them that.

• 2 weeks later...