Aeon atm's constantly not working

i claudius

Checked the Big C machine off 3rd road and its run out of cash. 31st it was not in service...in anyone uses it in the next day or so maybe you can give an update

Not surprising as there's always a long line of scruffy looking farangs in line waiting to use it and save their 150 baht. Like today, must of been 20 of them when I went past to go to the men's room.

so, you do not want to save 150 baht ? 4 or 5 times a month?
Many people do not realize the costs of bank fees and ATM charges. 5 times a month is 750 baht or 9,000 baht. Why pay almost 300 USD a year to access your own money?
Humm...let's see. Maybe to support the network that allows one to travel just about anywhere in the world and to access ones local bank and pull hundreds or thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/yen equilivent in local currency from an electro-mechanical machine in the wall or free-standing box on the street! Do you think this world-wide network just popped up out of thin air and maintains itself and restocks itself for free?

In addition, you are paying for the service/benefit of not having to carry on ones person large amounts of currency during travel, with the attendant danger of loss or theft.

You are not paying money to access YOUR OWN money but paying for access to the network that allows what I described above. If you want to access your money in your bank for free, speed a few thousand dollars on airfare and go to your bank and walk up to the teller and make a withdrawal.

By all means, try to find and use banks/networks that minimize fees but please stopped posting how expensive these fees are for accessing ones "own money." [Do you have a baht currency bank account back home? If not, then you are not even accessing "your" bank account when you withdraw baht from any ATM in Thailand.]

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked the Big C machine off 3rd road and its run out of cash. 31st it was not in service...in anyone uses it in the next day or so maybe you can give an update

Not surprising as there's always a long line of scruffy looking farangs in line waiting to use it and save their 150 baht. Like today, must of been 20 of them when I went past to go to the men's room.

Many people do not realize the costs of bank fees and ATM charges. 5 times a month is 750 baht or 9,000 baht. Why pay almost 300 USD a year to access your own money?
Humm...let's see. Maybe to support the network that allows one to travel just about anywhere in the world and to access ones local bank and pull hundreds or thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/yen equilivent in local currency from an electro-mechanical machine in the wall or free-standing box on the street! Do you think this world-wide network just popped up out of thin air and maintains itself and restocks itself for free?

In addition, you are paying for the service/benefit of not having to carry on ones person large amounts of currency during travel, with the attendant danger of loss or theft.

You are not paying money to access YOUR OWN money but paying for access to the network that allows what I described above. If you want to access your money in your bank for free, speed a few thousand dollars on airfare and go to your bank and walk up to the teller and make a withdrawal.

By all means, try to find and use banks/networks that minimize fees but please stopped posting how expensive these fees are for accessing ones "own money." [Do you have a baht currency bank account back home? If not, then you are not even accessing "your" bank account when you withdraw baht from any ATM in Thailand.]

Sorry but you are wrong. When you use the network ATM you are already paying a fee, called the ISA fee, I believe. The additional fee charged by Thai banks goes directly to their profit line. In effect, you are being charged a premium or twice to access your money. On credit card transactions here some Thai merchants try to recapture the fees that Visa or MC charge which maybe illegal by adding 2 or 3 percent to the transaction. Do you think Thai banks were providing a free ATM service prior to implementing the 150 baht charge a few years ago?

Edited by ThaiBob

Sorry but you are wrong. When you use the network ATM you are already paying a fee, called the ISA fee, I believe. The additional fee charged by Thai banks goes directly to their profit line. In effect, you are being charged a premium or twice to access your money. On credit card transactions here some Thai merchants try to recapture the fees that Visa or MC charge which maybe illegal by adding 2 or 3 percent to the transaction. Do you think Thai banks were providing a free ATM service prior to implementing the 150 baht charge a few years ago?

Like I said, it's a service. Thai private banks are for profit entities free (within Bank of Thailand regulations) to charge whatever they want for use of their ATM machines. If anyone doesn't like it, they can carry cash, traveler's checks, credit cards, gold coins, whatever to conduct their financial transactions. I don't understand where this entitlement mentality of free or cheap access to ones bank funds in foreign countries through bank ATM machines came from. Heck, I get charged a 15-20 baht fee from my own thai bank if I make an out of province withdrawal from that bank's ATM if it's located outside Chonburi...but you dont see me winging and posting about it online. Suck it up!

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Like I said, it's a service. Thai private banks are for profit entities free (within Bank of Thailand regulations) to charge whatever they want for use of their ATM machines. If anyone doesn't like it, they can carry cash, traveler's checks, credit cards, gold coins, whatever to conduct their financial transactions. I don't understand where this entitlement mentality of free or cheap access to ones bank funds in foreign countries through bank ATM machines came from. Heck, I get charged a 15-20 baht fee from my own thai bank if I make an out of province withdrawal from that bank's ATM if it's located outside Chonburi...but you dont see me winging and posting about it online. Suck it up!

I don't think this is really the thread for you.

I don't want to pay the 150 baht,as I'm also paying 200 baht equivalent in my home country. Next time I'll bring more cash that lady boys can try and thieve and also try and get a better card

OMGiminPattaya, You sound like an apologist for the banking industry. Why do you think atm's proliferated through out Thailand (well before the foreign surcharge)? Banks make big money on atm's and are far less costly than traditional bank tellers. Foreign banks joined the visa and cirrus networks long ago because all visa cc and atm transactions are shared with the network members. There is a higher fee for foreign transactions. These bank surcharges whether on the front end or the back end line the bankers pockets with additional profits, so please don't make excuses for their greed. I think you have misplaced the blame.

And Btw you can get 20 baht out of area dropped by going to your home Thai bank and paying a small fee upfront.

Edited by ThaiBob

I don't want to pay the 150 baht,as I'm also paying 200 baht equivalent in my home country. Next time I'll bring more cash that lady boys can try and thieve and also try and get a better card

That's a very good idea...like I said, try to use banks or credit cards with low or no fees. You may still have to pay at the Thai bank end but at least you will save on the farang-bank end. In the US, I know of a couple major banks that have debit and credit card products that waive the foreign ATM withdrawal fee and also the foreign transaction charge for purchases. If one travels allot overseas, these might be worth checking out. I'm sure similar bank card products exist in most western countries.

I don't know where your non-sequitur about ladyboys fits into this discussion but for the record, I hope the ladyboys you barfine don't rob you as well.

That's a very good idea...like I said, try to use banks or credit cards with low or no fees. You may still have to pay at the Thai bank end but at least you will save on the farang-bank end. In the US, I know of a couple major banks that have debit and credit card products that waive the foreign ATM withdrawal fee and also the foreign transaction charge for purchases. If one travels allot overseas, these might be worth checking out. I'm sure similar bank card products exist in most western countries.

I don't know where your non-sequitur about ladyboys fits into this discussion but for the record, I hope the ladyboys you barfine don't rob you as well.

I've not tried ladyboys, would you recommend?

The best cards in the UK have no control over what the foreign bank ATMs charge so the best I can do is minimise the costs in the UK

I've not tried ladyboys, would you recommend?

The best cards in the UK have no control over what the foreign bank ATMs charge so the best I can do is minimise the costs in the UK

Yes...and I highly recommend them.

As for the costs, I think that's what I said.

Good luck with both!

I noticed last week that Bangkok Bank charged me 180b to withdraw from my Singapore account.

And and then Singapore OCBC charge me on top of that and quite viciously too. Ends up costing more than 30 bucks to withdraw 20,000k baht. What a scam!

Charges:

1.Nominal service charge of 3% is levied on the S$ equivalent of the amount withdrawn (min. of S$5 and max. of S$20 per transaction)

2.Administrative fee of 1.8% of the foreign currency transaction^

3.Additional service fee, which may vary from bank to bank, may be imposed by the bank which operates the ATM

Edited by Tolley

I noticed last week that Bangkok Bank charged me 180b to withdraw from my Singapore account.

And and then Singapore OCBC charge me on top of that and quite viciously too. Ends up costing more than 20 bucks to withdraw 20,000k baht. What a scam!

About three percent of the transaction amount to obtain a foreign currency from an ATM not related to your account. I call that a bargain. If you don't want to be "scam[ed]" in the future, bring Singapore dollars with you and exchange them for baht in Thailand...or will that still cost you the same 3%?

180 baht is commonly the MasterCard charge, 150 visa. The cards charges are usually in the microscopic T&C's. If you need a card its best to find the best card with lowest foreign cash withdrawal charges before you travel

Yes it is still chump change to what OCBC gouge me for and they don't pay any interest on my account or only a nominal .25 percent.

And and then Singapore OCBC charge me on top of that and quite viciously too. Ends up costing more than 20 bucks to withdraw 20,000k baht. What a scam!

About three percent of the transaction amount to obtain a foreign currency from an ATM not related to your account. I call that a bargain. If you don't want to be "scam[ed]" in the future, bring Singapore dollars with you and exchange them for baht in Thailand...or will that still cost you the same 3%?

Have update my post sorry and OCBC actually charge 4.8 percent. That is really taking the mickey.

Have update my post sorry and OCBC actually charge 4.8 percent. That is really taking the mickey.

Western Union may be even cheaper...may consider just sending money to yourself from singapore when traveling. I do it as an emergency cash stash when I travel.

Western Union may be even cheaper...may consider just sending money to yourself from singapore when traveling. I do it as an emergency cash stash when I travel.

I may as well go and visit some friends in Singapore one weekend(no accommodation costs) and grab a few months spending money rather than drip feed OCBC.

The whole idea when machines came out ,and i quote the banks ,it would save time and they would not have to employ staff in their branches to constantly have to give out money ,they would be free to use ,well once we got used to them (like the free gas from the north sea and the cheaper diesel) . costs were charged to make extra profit . in other words they lied.

The whole idea when machines came out ,and i quote the banks ,it would save time and they would not have to employ staff in their branches to constantly have to give out money ,they would be free to use ,well once we got used to them (like the free gas from the north sea and the cheaper diesel) . costs were charged to make extra profit . in other words they lied.

They are free...when I use my USA bank card at one its ATM there it's free...same in thailand in Chonburi. When I use another bank's ATM half-way around the world it's not free...imagine that.

They are free...when I use my USA bank card at one its ATM there it's free...same in thailand in Chonburi. When I use another bank's ATM half-way around the world it's not free...imagine that.

and when you use your foreign USA bank card in an AEON ATM, AEON makes money on your ATM transaction WITHOUT charging you the 150 baht Thai Banking Association fee.... imagine that. Also, try imagining an US Banking association colluding to charge a standard charge or fee on foreigners using their member's ATM's. Can we spell antitrust or monopoly.

and when you use your foreign USA bank card in an AEON ATM, AEON makes money on your ATM transaction WITHOUT charging you the 150 baht Thai Banking Association fee.... imagine that. Also, try imagining an US Banking association colluding to charge a standard charge or fee on foreigners using their member's ATM's. Can we spell antitrust or monopoly.

Can we spell Thailand is a sovereign country with its own constitution and set of laws, and to my knowledge, no Sherman Antitrust Act.

Overuse...all the cheap charlie farangs saving the B150 foreign bank card ATM fee. Always a long line of disheveled farangs at the Bic C Extra one.

Your post(s) reek of arrogance and taking cheap shots at foreigners who might be less fortunate than you. Many of my friends use AEON ATM's because they realize over time the withdrawal surcharge is expensive and unnecessary. You must have a fundamental misunderstanding how an ATM network like VISA PLUS works. AEON makes money on our foreign withdrawals. Today I withdrew 60,000 baht (4 pulls) from the AEON ATM at Tesco North Pattaya. On Wednesday I will do the same. That is equivalent to 480 USD per year. It just so happens I use my Charles Schwab ATM card and all fees and charges are reimbursed. I use the AEON ATM out of PRINCIPLE and not line the pockets of bankers like Jaime Dimon or Thai bankers.

Edited by Barack
  • Like 1

Overuse...all the cheap charlie farangs saving the B150 foreign bank card ATM fee. Always a long line of disheveled farangs at the Bic C Extra one.

Your post(s) reek of arrogance and taking cheap shots at foreigners who might be less fortunate than you. Many of my friends use AEON ATM's because they realize over time the withdrawal surcharge is expensive and unnecessary. You must have a fundamental misunderstanding how an ATM network like VISA PLUS works. AEON makes money on our foreign withdrawals. Today I withdrew 60,000 baht (4 pulls) from the AEON ATM at Tesco North Pattaya. On Wednesday I will do the same. That is equivalent to 480 USD per year. It just so happens I use my Charles Schwab ATM card and all fees and charges are reimbursed. I use the AEON ATM out of PRINCIPLE and not line the pockets of bankers like Jaime Dimon or Thai bankers.

First off, if you read the totality of my posts in this topic, you will see that I advised people to seek out the best deals from their banks regarding foreign ATM and purchase transactions. I got no problem with anyone seeking good value for anything...who would do anything else. My problem is all the winging about the ATM fees from people expecting them to be free! I am familiar with Schawab Banks policy's regarding foreign ATM's and purchases and it and similar programs I would recommend for frequent foreign travelers.

As you seem to be doing multiple high value transactions, why not just wire transfer funds over into a local bank account. You can do it all in one swoop, not have to stand in a long line with the singlet crowd, and the cost would be about the same?

Finally, to my knowledge, Aeon isnt affiliated in any way JP Morgan Chase so your fears of lining Jamie Dimon's pockets are unfounded. Of course, if you just have a general dislike of banks and bankers, you're free to keep and hold only cash for all your lifetime of purchases.

I am not a cheap charlie Farang and have never worn a singlet in my life and while not being rich,neither am i short of a bob or two ,and the reason? i dont throw my money away, i can use the aeon machine free and there are no charges on my metro card ,so why in Gods name should i give the bank 150 baht 5/6 times a month ? over the year it mounts up and i prefere my money in my pocket ,please feel free OMGiminPattaya to stand at the macine next to the aeon one and pay 150 baht or 3 pounds in sterling ,for the privalge of accesing your cash

• Like 1

Most of the use is from Thais making withdrawals and then deposits to pay bills... and the waits can be very long if you go in at the wrong time because they tend to spend about 5 minutes each (at least) doing their transactions. I'd be quite happy for there to be long lines of foreigners making quick withdrawals, but such is not the case.

Over the last 3 years since I've been using the free AEON ATMs I'm always one of the few foreigners waiting in the queues at either Big C or Tesco. I have never seen more than a few foreigners in the queues at one time.

The AEON saves me about 600 baht a month. That's worthwhile considering I need to do my shopping anyway and would go there banking business or not.

My guess would be the complexity of the machine makes it more prone to failure compared to basic ATM's.

I am not a cheap charlie Farang and have never worn a singlet in my life and while not being rich,neither am i short of a bob or two ,and the reason? i dont throw my money away, i can use the aeon machine free and there are no charges on my metro card ,so why in Gods name should i give the bank 150 baht 5/6 times a month ? over the year it mounts up and i prefere my money in my pocket ,please feel free OMGiminPattaya to stand at the macine next to the aeon one and pay 150 baht or 3 pounds in sterling ,for the privalge of accesing your cash

Here we go again - singlet bashing.biggrin.png ... better than long pants and thongs.

I go to ATMs wearing singlets. I even wear them to the bank. I'd consider dressing up if I was after a loan though.smile.png

Edited by tropo

As you seem to be doing multiple high value transactions, why not just wire transfer funds over into a local bank account. You can do it all in one swoop, not have to stand in a long line with the singlet crowd, and the cost would be about the same?

Geez!! I do bank wires too sometimes, but for some reason I don't mind waiting in line at ATM's in the singlet crowd...I suppose it's because I'm one of them.biggrin.png

(who would have thought that sexpats (or ex-sexpats) living in a Thailand beach resort would be averse to wearing or being in the company of people wearing singlets)

One of the reasons why I like using the ATM is because it's instant money and I don't have to rely on bank staff hanging on to the funds for as long as possible, making profit on what should be done instantly. I don't pay for bank wires, so it's about the same cost for me.

Tell you what, singlets/vests are very under rated. I sweat mostly on the shoulders, a singlet enables the sweat to evaporate along with saving 150 baht at Aeon, wonderful :-)

I just read a thread about opening a Thai bank account,its really quick and simple takes 30 mins,I'm doing that next time

Here we go again - singlet bashing.biggrin.png ... better than long pants and thongs.

I go to ATMs wearing singlets. I even wear them to the bank. I'd consider dressing up if I was after a loan though.smile.png

Nothing wrong with thongs,i wear a quite fetching red pair under my long trousers --------------oh shit ,you meant flip flopsxsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.Fhb0_rLJqX.webp

Edited by i claudius