When the Skytrain stopped, so did Bangkok

webfact

we don't ask for cushioned seats but at least vending machine that accept dollar bills liked MRT does easy for to buy ticket some busy station buying a ticket takes longer then the destination

I'll never understand regular commuters who queue up more than once to buy BTS or MRT tickets. It's so easy to buy a prepaid card and top it up at odd hours when the lines are short.

Tourists? Sure. Weekend adventurers? Maybe. But not regular commuters.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sky train is a good legacy of Thaksin Shinawatra, with out him, probably never been built

Thaksin became PM in 2001, the BTS started running in 1999....

to
February
Thaksin as
Deputy
Prime Minister
and
head
of
the
Bangkok Traffic
Solving Team,
assumed total responsi-
bility
for
the
Bangkok Mass
Transit System

(BMTS)

httpcjas.dk/index.php/cjas/article/viewFile/2165/2161

Sorry it did not copy and paste very well.

He was also the main reason the project got the finance it need, with his clout

. Without his drive it would never have happened , given the type of politicians around at that time, and yes I was around Bangkok then as well, that's why I knew

Bangkok's BTS and MRT are two fine mass transit systems. Clearly a great mass transit system is one that works and one that provides passenger security included in the price of a ticket. This breakdown of the BTS reflects poor management, security and safety. The delay in communications is a terrible management breakdown.

Fourteen years without a major problem, I think your post is a bit over the top. If disruption of the system becomes a regular occurrence then I might agree with you.
Agree with you there mate, 14 years without a major hitch is a fine achievement. Personally I think Thailand. Can be proud of the MRT system in Bangkok.
I bet TFL, the operators of the London underground, would like to make the same claim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this supposed to be sarcastic? Because even the new jubilee line has "signal failures" every other week Edited by sadhukar

The Bangkok public transportation system needs a major overhaul starting with a proper plan. Much more

important than a pie in the sky high speed rail system. Tax all Bangkok plated cars, and daily/ weekly

road toll for cars from outside Bangkok. Bring in consultants from other cities that have similar congestion

problems, London, Singapore, Hong Kong. It will be expensive but even more expensive in 10 years, 20 years

even more. Bite the bullet and do it now.

The Bangkok public transportation system needs a major overhaul starting with a proper plan. Much more

important than a pie in the sky high speed rail system. Tax all Bangkok plated cars, and daily/ weekly

road toll for cars from outside Bangkok. Bring in consultants from other cities that have similar congestion

problems, London, Singapore, Hong Kong. It will be expensive but even more expensive in 10 years, 20 years

even more. Bite the bullet and do it now.

Why bother? Bangkok will be underwater by the time they finish, it's sinking so fast. They should just plan the next capital before they move everyone there...

And yes, that is tongue in cheek,.

Unlike most of y'all...I remember a Bangkok with no BTS or MRT. We got through it OK. wai.gif

I remember it, never knew how long it was going to take you to cross town.

I recall watching empty trains being tested from my hotel window.

Unlike most of y'all...I remember a Bangkok with no BTS or MRT. We got through it OK. wai.gif

Since we are on this play, I saw Suk. only 4 lanes wide and no center medium. I believe the year was 1970 stayed at the Miami hotel which is still there on Soi 13.

Since we are on this play, I saw Suk. only 4 lanes wide and no center medium. I believe the year was 1970 stayed at the Miami hotel which is still there on Soi 13.
Istayed in the Miami hotel 1974.As far as I can remember there was no building in the Sukhumvit road over 4 stories high.

Istayed in the Miami hotel 1974.As far as I can remember there was no building in the Sukhumvit road over 4 stories high.

My first hotel was the Miami as well in 1987, it has not changed much either, you should read the comments on Tripavisor lol. Suk was knee deep in water, so I could only get to the Chinese restaurant on the corner, still there btw, that was my first Singha