Thailand Reform: Separating political rhetoric from substance

webfact

What a lot of shit. Until the good Thais come out and run for election, nothing material will change. Until then the boys in green will not be truly be under control of the executive . there used to be a research publication project and they published a book called Thailand's top 100 business families. It shows the network. The network is scared. Out of fear will set the stage for a long list of mistakes.

Sent from my Lenovo A516 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

It's all well and good talking about previous plans for reform but the the author misses the main point. Does anybody know what sutheps version of National Reform is?

Edited by fab4

It will have to happen this time for to many people and groups are coming out and insisting, it was reported elsewhere that even the hardline red supporters in the north are calling for reforms.

The two reports mentioned, and I understand there is a third, will give a great framework to start but there will probably be new issues that have arisen since these reports that need to be factored in.

Getting the right people together in a not to large group should not be that difficult either.

As long as politicians are excluded from getting there sticky fingers in the process and are forced to abide by the resulting reforms.

• Like 1

I wonder why DEM are so pro-reform and PT so against?

Is this because the current constitution is written by Thaksin for Thaksin?

Yingluck has said that she isn't against reform but she correctly insists that everything should be done according to current law and that means abiding by the Royal Decree (Order from the King himself) that the elections be held on the 2nd February. The Democrats are attempting to make her slip up by refusing to particpate in the elections. Either she delays the elections and goes against the King or she holds the elections on the 2nd and inadvertently instigates massive civil unrest encouraged by Suthep, quite possibly leading to military intervention and a coup. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

Edited by bigbadbarnsy

It will have to happen this time for to many people and groups are coming out and insisting, it was reported elsewhere that even the hardline red supporters in the north are calling for reforms.

The two reports mentioned, and I understand there is a third, will give a great framework to start but there will probably be new issues that have arisen since these reports that need to be factored in.

Getting the right people together in a not to large group should not be that difficult either.

As long as politicians are excluded from getting there sticky fingers in the process and are forced to abide by the resulting reforms.

Quote:

"As long as politicians are excluded from getting there sticky fingers in the process and are forced to abide by the resulting reforms."

IMHO this is a very crucial / critical factor.

Suthichai Yoon eluded to the same point. Suthep has eluded to the same point.

Put it another way - until the dinosaurs and the professional leeches are pushed out of the picture, the intelligent and capable Thais who are sincere,

honest and could Thailand forward quickly with gains for all Thais won't get involved.

Why? Very simple answer, right now they don't want to be associated with the leeches, incapable fools, family dynasties etc., who are pulling Thailand down and raping Thailand, and with no conscience or morals.

I hope that a new party might eventually appear out of Suthep's followers. There are plenty of folks in his camp who are capable and sincere, and honest.

• Like 1

I wonder why DEM are so pro-reform and PT so against?

Is this because the current constitution is written by Thaksin for Thaksin?

Yingluck has said that she isn't against reform but she correctly insists that everything should be done according to current law and that means abiding by the Royal Decree (Order from the King himself) that the elections be held on the 2nd February. The Democrats are attempting to make her slip up by refusing to particpate in the elections. Either she delays the elections and goes against the King or she holds the elections on the 2nd and inadvertently instigates massive civil unrest encouraged by Suthep, quite possibly leading to military intervention and a coup. Damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

Perhaps true, however she readily agreed to take on this sham role (puppet / clone, whatever) so she can thank both herself and the paymaster for being in this damned if you do / damned if you don't situation.

• Like 1

adding fuel to the fire of divisiveness by pitting election against reform.

I liked the OP, this being the most salient line. Numbers of votes and who you are related to etc. is completely irrelevant if the post-election system encourages free debate and consensus-based policymaking, prevents policy domination especially by vested interests from rearing their ugly heads and wasting valuable Govt worktime. What this OP doesn't say really is that the reforms are possible within the current framework, would take very short time really, if the will were actually there. As things stand, dark-forces etc. I fear we are heading for more streetlevel carnage and mayhem and soforth, with problems stretching out for decades, over what could solved in a few months of sincere debate between genuinely democratic people. I pray that I am wrong, every day.

wai2.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

The most sane topic we have had here in 2 months or so. I agree completely. Reform must be undertaken. Elections in the current climate will lead to trouble whoever wins. If the Shin regime would just step down AND all professional MP's and leeches and hangers on would get out the way and take a break and let some new blood have a chance to do what is right for the country with no vested interests, cronyism or nepotism, let them get on with it, things would probably turn out a lot better.

The first reform needed is a fully elected senate.

(of course Suthep and his backers most certainly do not want that)

The second reform needed is taking away the immunity to the coup leaders and backers of 2006, the one they made a new constitution for in 2007.

(Another reform that Suthep and his "people" will object to)

The third reform needed is better protection of media built into the constitution.

(Suthep himself showed how far he could bend the rules when he was in power)

The fourth reform needed is harsh penalties to MP's that resign during their election period.

The fifth reform needed is a clear set of rules on how to change the constitution. A normal procedure is to have the proposal to change commited during one 4-year period, and the vote for that change during the next 4-year period. This way controversial changes will be part of the election period. Another way could be to demand 2/3-majority, or have a rule that says if 1/4 of parliament demands it the change have to be voted for in a public poll / referendum.

Reform is a pressing and important issue, however the stakeholders are yet to agree. The main sticking point seems to be that every group only wants reform that will help them get theiir snouts into the Treasury longer whilst keeping the other groups out. As the Treasury offers billions for the looting this is an important issue.

PT want elections as they will probably win. Dems don't like elections as they usually lose. New punters here are axiuosly awaiting a new deal that creates freedom and a true democratic system, ignoring that such thing no longer exist even in their own home fascist countries. The old hands know that no such thing is even remotely possible, just have a few beers and wait and see how the latest elite power play will turn out.

For me it is nice to be watching this time from abroad, I rarely even tune in, as I am occupied having to water the basil and lemongrass plants in the backyard. However as I will return eventually I sincerly hope that something stable can evolve, it won't be pretty or even remotely honest or better, but hopefully peaceful.

The most sane topic we have had here in 2 months or so. I agree completely. Reform must be undertaken. Elections in the current climate will lead to trouble whoever wins. If the Shin regime would just step down AND all professional MP's and leeches and hangers on would get out the way and take a break and let some new blood have a chance to do what is right for the country with no vested interests, cronyism or nepotism, let them get on with it, things would probably turn out a lot better.

Are you sure you actually read this article? It points out the when the PDC held power it had these reports and did nothing about them. Now that they are out of power, all of a sudden, reform has become an urgent issue. A case could be made for the blatant hypocrisy of this party. Don't see how the case against it could be, though..

When over 70% of people in a recent poll said that they did not mind corruption as long as it benefited them; really; what hope is there for genuine reforms that are acted on and not just on paper?

There has to be a sea change in attitude in this country and that has to start with a proper education system.