Extension of Stay Overstay

I have overstayed my extension to stay by 2 months (3rd October). The extension to stay is based on work and I have a valid work permit. Me and the lady at work who deals with visa's went to Immigration at Chaeng Wattana today and were informed that as it's over 40 days I will need to leave the country and get a new Non B Visa.

I was wondering if the maximum fine at the border will be the same as a normal visa over stay (20k baht), and is it ok to do this over a land crossing? Also which is the easiest & cheapest place to go get a new Non B Visa - I have a work permit and all valid paper work.

Thanks

Edited by Millian

Yes, it will be the same 20K, unless you get found out by police before you get to the border, in which case you will be detained, brought before a judge, probably be fined less than 20k, and deported.

To add, in the case of deportation it ill be to the home country and they can keep you in detention till you yourself have paid for a ticket for your deportation.

YOU WILL PERHAPS GET PUT IN THE MONKEY HOUSE THEN YOUR EMBASSY WILL HAVE TO SORT IT OUT WITH YOU ONCE YOUR FINE HAS BEEN PAID THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO A FRIEND OF MINE

Please do not post in all CAPS.

If you can pay the fine you do not go to jail and your embassy does not get involved.

How can you overstay by 2 months unless it was deliberate? This is a long time and certainly you knew how long your visa was for. It is partly because of guys like you that they make it hard for those who do try and do the right thing and make sure their visa is valid all the time.

• Like 2

How can you overstay by 2 months unless it was deliberate? This is a long time and certainly you knew how long your visa was for. It is partly because of guys like you that they make it hard for those who do try and do the right thing and make sure their visa is valid all the time.

Some may not be as organised as others.

As matter of interest how does one ensure a "visa" is valid "all the time" ?

I dont understand how people can overstay their visas. Whether you think your company will take care of everything or not you should always be informed of whats going on and make sure your on top of everything. Its like going to the doctor and not asking questions. You just set yourself for situations like this and risk deportation if caught at a police checkpoint which is very common this time of year.

• Like 1

Well if your still working at your job it should be valid, in that case you pay attention to the dates in your passport. If your no longer working then you have to assume its not valid and start plan B.

I had a 6 week overstay and flew out of Bangkok on Christmas Day just gone, and I didn't have to pay a single Baht. I was prepared to pay and had the 20k in hand.

I simply waited my turn in the queue at immigration, kept my mouth shut, he looked at it, stamped it and off I went!

So thanks Thai immigration for my new iPad.

I had a 6 week overstay and flew out of Bangkok on Christmas Day just gone, and I didn't have to pay a single Baht. I was prepared to pay and had the 20k in hand.

I simply waited my turn in the queue at immigration, kept my mouth shut, he looked at it, stamped it and off I went!

amazing... i overstayed 1 day dec 6th 2013..the check in desk told me before i went to immigration...then was told there i overstayed...there is a desk for over stay...

you are telling BS

I dont understand how people can overstay their visas. Whether you think your company will take care of everything or not you should always be informed of whats going on and make sure your on top of everything. Its like going to the doctor and not asking questions. You just set yourself for situations like this and risk deportation if caught at a police checkpoint which is very common this time of year.

Well that was certainly my reaction. then I remembered I had at times forgot my 90 day and often forget to ask a question of the doctor that I have been wondering about all month.

On reading the OP I felt that he has made an honest mistake based on a false assumption and is entirely ready to do what ever it takes to correct the situation. He is not trying to scam the system such as a later poster bragged about.

They are usually right on the ball as soon as you are one day over they know.Maybe they did it is a Christmas Gift.Anyway you got away with it good luck and all the best for the New Year

Surely everyone knows that every 90 days something has to be done to keep the visa up to date.

• Like 2

Surely everyone knows that every 90 days something has to be done to keep the visa up to date.

Many have Extensions of Stay not "Visas" ! ----------- Visas are not renewed or "updated" .

I suspect some land in difficulty as a direct result of a failure to understand the terms under which they are allowed to stay in country.

• Like 2

i was informed early enough to get the extension for visa.

...used to work at bkk pattaya hospital and some schools of government.

any documents to show that u have forgotten the visa, for example kids with thai ?
some immi-officers understand it and dont have to be afraid to be deported.

in the future, put some reminders, for example on your phone , email, ...just name it.

cheers,

mtimmu

amazing... i overstayed 1 day dec 6th 2013..the check in desk told me before i went to immigration...then was told there i overstayed...there is a desk for over stay...

you are telling BS

No BS thanks all knowing one, I'll take a picture now.

any documents to show that u have forgotten the visa, for example kids with thai ?

in the future, put some reminders, for example on your phone , email, ...just name it.

cheers,

mtimmu

What you are, of course alluding to is the concept of personal accountability.

Attempting to blame "HR" or ones employer for personal failure seems pretty weak from my point of view.

• Like 2

you are telling BS

No BS thanks.

Check the date.

post-185350-0-06780000-1388232090_thumb.post-185350-0-40052200-1388232121_thumb.

cheers,

mtimmu

What you are, of course alluding to is the concept of personal accountability.

Attempting to blame "HR" or ones employer for personal failure seems pretty weak from my point of view.

well...i didnt mean it this way..

for sure it is eveyone´s own business to take care about the visa etc,

just gave my own thought, .

is it possible still in here t-visa?

you are telling BS

No BS thanks.

Check the date.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

some are barking again...

rock on

you are telling BS

No BS thanks.

Check the date.

attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

You were lucky. It seems the immigration officer did not notice your overstay. Their computers are apparently not programmed to flash the screen automatically when a departing passenger has overstayed. Have fun with your iPad.

• Like 2

Many have Extensions of Stay not "Visas" ! ----------- Visas are not renewed or "updated" .

I suspect some land in difficulty as a direct result of a failure to understand the terms under which they are allowed to stay in country.

"I suspect some land in difficulty as a direct result of a failure to understand the terms under which they are allowed to stay in country. "

Which is certainly understandable for short-term tourists and those who have recently come to stay in Thailand for the long haul, but it’s amazing how many people have been here for years, decades in some cases, who are utterly clueless about the conditions/ requirements of their stay … and even seem unable to fathom the distinction between a visa and an extension-of-stay.

And ironically some of these same people are free with the criticism of Thai people for supposedly not being well-informed about this or that.

• Like 1

Check the date.

You were lucky. It seems the immigration officer did not notice your overstay. Their computers are apparently not programmed to flash the screen automatically when a departing passenger has overstayed. Have fun with your iPad.

Might pop-up if you return to the Kingdom.

Pretty simple to check the expiry date.

When you enter the Kingdom it's always worth checking your Immigration stamp date as they are only human and can make mistakes.

• Like 1

you are telling BS

Don't know what your problem was, I have and others I know have done 1 days overstays and never even were asked about it. 6 weeks is hard to believe. Maybe it was a Christmas gift from a charitable officer.