Thai Army chief Prayuth refuses to rule out a military coup

webfact

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais are too stupid to be allowed to run their own affairs'

You are making up words. I never said they are too stupid to run their own affairs. That suggests that someone/body who is not Thai should run the country. My comments were clear. Thai people do not seem to understand the responsibilities of living in a democracy that fall on both politicians and the general public.

Their lack of understanding (IMHO) stems from a culture that is corrupt and rotten to the core, with 'passing the blame' a national sport, failing to admit when one is wrong, failing to apologise, failing to think of others etc etc etc.

But I'm not blaming the 'common people'. They find themselves in this sorry situation due to decades of a poor educational system and the lack of any decent political role-models who set a good example, and lack of strong governance.

The sickness of this country has even infiltrated the monks and followers of the Buddhist faith.

Where to start to clean up this mess? How can you easily 'clean up' a corrupt system that's been in place for decades.

If there were a strong and honest political leader (of any party), who could be a figurehead for others to look up to, then that would be a start. But alas, I don't think any Thai exists who fits that descrption.

In the absence of such a political figure, both political sides obscenely claim allegiance to the very institution which holds this country together.

Simon

Quote "Squabbling children....spoilt brats....they are all infantile." Not so much making up words as merely summarising what you said. You seem to think that the phrase 'Thai people' is synonymous with 'common people', as you put it, and that their betters, including the institution you mentioned, are somehow above them. They're all Thai people - Suthep, Abhisit, Thaksin, the generals. They may not do a great job but there's no point gazing up into the sky and hoping for some benevolent mythical redeemer to appear and save the day. The Thais will just have to muddle through with the batch of politicians they have, same as every other country.

After all, if the Thais can't be left to run their own affairs, who can? The Greeks, Spanish, Irish, Egyptians, Sudanese? What Thailand needs is for the goons with guns, and the people who lurk behind them, to get off the peoples back and leave democracy to run its rocky course without the constant threat of coup no.19.

And may the best dictator win then? sad.png

seems to me it's only a coup, if there is a real government. Thailand, doesn't ever seem to have had a stable one for long, so .... ;

maybe they need a house of lords, that must agree to the house of the people, and both houses must agree on the PM.

its getting little late to save the high season unfortunately .........

Whilst I don't approve of a coup, you may be right. However, I don't think the principles of an "ASEAN UNION" would allow this...

\

Why do you believe she should resign? She still has time to govern as per the peoples' wishes . . . and your childish portrayal of Thaksin is . . . well, childish.

He is guilty of many, many things including murder in my opinion but to be as simplistic about his motives . . .

Do you find it acceptable that a government should resign simply because certain groups want it to? Re-focus your 'thoughts' on the UK . . . Canada . . . Australia . . . Singapore . . . Malaysia . . .

She won the mandate to govern - you don't like the way she is doing it then wait until the next elections.

Oh, you can't vote....

" She still has time to govern as per the peoples' wishes............" or "She has had time to govern as per the peoples' wishes, but blew it with a corrupt attempt to appease her brother"?

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but governing in accordance with their wishes, not to mention the law, IS NOT what she has been doing.

Great!..A Coup!...this will really place a lot of confidence with the rest of the world.

​Of course, the "rest of the world" is looking at this present mess with a lot of "confidence" !

whistling.gif

A coup will roll out the red carpet and the baht will slide like a snow board on Everest.

If there is a coup I'm sure the army will not make the same mistake they made in 2006 when Sonthi handed power over to Surayud who then appointed a very disappointing Cabinet.

If it is to happen again no doubt able figures such as Khun Anand will have been approached first regarding Cabinet posts.

Yeah, we need a collection of men in their late 80's early 90's to bring some new blood and ideas into the equation.

Thank you farang000999..thats says it perfectly. These people dont want anything to change.

• Like 1

Thailand is a Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy and as such the commander of the armed forces is the minister of defence, the king is just a figurehead. The generals comments are tantamount to treason and the PM must uphold the rule of law and have him arrested for gross dereliction of duty. In any democracy in the world generals obey orders and a request by the PM can be taken as an order.

Your post looks good on paper.

For sure.

To me it looks like <deleted>.

• Like 1

\

Why do you believe she should resign? She still has time to govern as per the peoples' wishes . . . and your childish portrayal of Thaksin is . . . well, childish.

He is guilty of many, many things including murder in my opinion but to be as simplistic about his motives . . .

Do you find it acceptable that a government should resign simply because certain groups want it to? Re-focus your 'thoughts' on the UK . . . Canada . . . Australia . . . Singapore . . . Malaysia . . .

She won the mandate to govern - you don't like the way she is doing it then wait until the next elections.

Oh, you can't vote....

" She still has time to govern as per the peoples' wishes............" or "She has had time to govern as per the peoples' wishes, but blew it with a corrupt attempt to appease her brother"?

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but governing in accordance with their wishes, not to mention the law, IS NOT what she has been doing.

I have noticed no such thing - and what part of mandate do you not understand?

I take it, according to your 'she has had time' comment that you are the arbiter of how long a duly elected government should stay in power.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I find them all a bunch of self-serving egotists, so when I hear/read such unequivocal nonsense it is difficult to keep a straight face.

Your preoccupation with conjecture, innuendo and 'nudge-nudge, wink-wink' kaffeeklatsch machinations are laughable as a military coup is possible the most anti-democratic move possible . . . which you seemingly support

Edited by Sing_Sling

Thailand is a Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy and as such the commander of the armed forces is the minister of defence, the king is just a figurehead. The generals comments are tantamount to treason and the PM must uphold the rule of law and have him arrested for gross dereliction of duty. In any democracy in the world generals obey orders and a request by the PM can be taken as an order.

For sure.

You're right of course - so I need to say at this point that I wasn't al all clear in the post that I was being sarcastic.

My screwup so thanks for calling my attention to it.

For sure.

Thank you for your studied and reasoned comment, can you please provide a link to such wisdom?

If there is a coup I'm sure the army will not make the same mistake they made in 2006 when Sonthi handed power over to Surayud who then appointed a very disappointing Cabinet.

If it is to happen again no doubt able figures such as Khun Anand will have been approached first regarding Cabinet posts.

Yeah, we need a collection of men in their late 80's early 90's to bring some new blood and ideas into the equation.

Thank you farang000999..thats says it perfectly. These people dont want anything to change.

More ignorance on display above- Khun Anand was the chairman of the National Reform Committee in 2011, below are their proposals, ignored by the Phea Thai government

Eight proposals formulated in the 1st National Reform Assembly were submitted to Prof. Dr. Prawase Wasi, chairperson of the National Reform Assembly Committee and Mr. Anand Panyarachun, chairperson of the National Reform Committee on 26th March, 2011. The 8 proposals include:

1. Fair and sustainable land allocation with ownership limited to 20 rais or 8 acres.

2. Management of sea and coastal resources

3. Return of justice on land and resources, reform of judiciary system on cases about land and resources ownership.

4. Reform of social security system in which the independent mechanism is in place and benefiters can directly elect their representatives.

5. Security and promotion of wellbeing for senior citizens

6. Mechanism for happy society and potential development fund for the vulnerable groups

7. Decentralization of power according to the 3rd National Health Assembly’s resolution on development of self-management area.

8. Formulation and implementation of the culture development plan as a way to build creativity and heal society

Nothing implemented by the amart of the Shinawat family who want nothing to change.

More ignorance on display above- Khun Anand was the chairman of the National Reform Committee in 2011, below are their proposals, ignored by the Phea Thai government

Eight proposals formulated in the 1st National Reform Assembly were submitted to Prof. Dr. Prawase Wasi, chairperson of the National Reform Assembly Committee and Mr. Anand Panyarachun, chairperson of the National Reform Committee on 26th March, 2011. The 8 proposals include:

1. Fair and sustainable land allocation with ownership limited to 20 rais or 8 acres.

3. Return of justice on land and resources, reform of judiciary system on cases about land and resources ownership.

4. Reform of social security system in which the independent mechanism is in place and benefiters can directly elect their representatives.

6. Mechanism for happy society and potential development fund for the vulnerable groups

7. Decentralization of power according to the 3rd National Health Assembly’s resolution on development of self-management area.

8. Formulation and implementation of the culture development plan as a way to build creativity and heal society

Nothing implemented by the amart of the Shinawat family who want nothing to change.

Further to the suggestions above, these electoral reforms were suggested in 2011 (since YL has been PM). So far, YL has shown little interest in these either :

http://anfrel.org/civil-society-organisations-propose-revamp-of-thai-electoral-system/

What exactly have these proposals got to do with electoral reform? Some of them are also gibberish particularly 6,7,8.

The ANFREL proposals linked by Old Man River are relevant seem sensible enough though the devil's in the detail.Have any political parties signed up to these yet? Has there been much civil society debate?

• Like 1

In using Thai Visa I agree:

2) Not to express disrespect of the King of Thailand or anyone else in the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family. Discussion of the lese majeste law or lese majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family. To breach this rule will result in immediate ban.

Posts have been removed.

You know, I'm a little surprised that no one seems to remember what Suthep was doing in the Chuan Leekpai government back in 1994 or so. The Bangkok Post used to refer to him as "the Democratic Party's expert on land registration documents." Of course we learned from General Surayut that the Army is not above a little carelessness in acquiring real estate.

Reading yesterday in the other paper that the red elite would prefer a coup to letting Sutheps reform council prevail. And most educated souls prefer the idea of a coup to a NK style Shinawat dictatorship. It seems we have a solution. Real shame that Thaksin pushed the country again into such desperate state that a coup is neccessary, but it is what it is. A large measure of thanks to the army for being the sane heads in this mess. Education reforms and dismantling the Thaksin cult is the way forward. The red schools that only serve to propagate the cult of Thaksin must be closed immediately.

Jaidam. you are worth your full name ! sure the majority prefers a coup in stead of a dictatorship .

Until Suthep started the 'mess" , there was no desperate state of the country, correct me with evidence please .

• Like 2