No shame,no morals.

Kangawallafox

Having had my share of being ripped, i now ask the price, if i think it is about right i order, if not i walk

Been a couple of years since we were here,and you must admit prices are up in 7/11's, supermarkets,all round.

So until we heard her actually tell her husband to charge us more it did not click,we did remark that it has gone up but many things have.

She whispered,not quite loud enough,they are always so bad at lying.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"!!learn the language mate ,no one will laugh at you "

I, and I am sure everyone else, is impressed with your language ability. Howver, it wouldn't have helped him avoid overcharging as it was a Farang price and His wife speaks perfect Thai and she was overcharged for the drinks, not him.

"yet you feel offended because locals who have been buying coffee at this shop for years probably get a discount. "

Who are you kidding, a Thai who walked in off the street would pay theThai price, it's not a Thai discount, its a Faranf ripoff and we see it every day.

Edited by biggles45
  • Like 1

It`s all very simple.

First you learn some basic Thai. Then if you have reasons to suspect you are being over charged, confront the coffee stall owners head on and tell them in a polite but firm way that they have been over charging you (don`t go over the top or lose your temper with your complaint) and see if they are willing to acknowledge their error and treat you fairly from now on. If so, fine, if not, just turn your back never to return.

Something similar happened to me at a noodle shop earlier this year. I discovered that I had been over changed 5 baht too much on a meal and 5 baht extra on the soft drinks for my previous two visits. No big deal, I just informed the lady owner who without any argument refunded the money I had been over charged and ever since the attitude has changed towards me and the owners and staff are now most polite and courteous, almost embarrassingly so, even referring to me by my first name.

For those who are residing in Thailand for the long term should learn to deal with these problems, if not than your lives are going to be very stressful and uncomfortable here.

I have never had an experience where speaking Thai or showing that I know the price (or that I know that the vendor uses double pricing) had ANY impact on the vendor's attitude whatsoever. I've been to places with menus and price lists in Thai and English (with different prices for the same item). After pointing out the discrepancies they would usually stick with their fleecing mission.

The vendors that use double pricing simply feel it's their duty to the country to shaft a foreigner as much as possible. A lost sale is of no concern to them. There is no point in discussing the issue with them. If you happened to achieve a positive change of their attitude, good for you. I find it simpler to walk away after letting them know that I won't pay for their fake smiles.

It`s all very simple.

First you learn some basic Thai. Then if you have reasons to suspect you are being over charged, confront the coffee stall owners head on and tell them in a polite but firm way that they have been over charging you (don`t go over the top or lose your temper with your complaint) and see if they are willing to acknowledge their error and treat you fairly from now on. If so, fine, if not, just turn your back never to return.

Something similar happened to me at a noodle shop earlier this year. I discovered that I had been over changed 5 baht too much on a meal and 5 baht extra on the soft drinks for my previous two visits. No big deal, I just informed the lady owner who without any argument refunded the money I had been over charged and ever since the attitude has changed towards me and the owners and staff are now most polite and courteous, almost embarrassingly so, even referring to me by my first name.

For those who are residing in Thailand for the long term should learn to deal with these problems, if not than your lives are going to be very stressful and uncomfortable here.

I have never had an experience where speaking Thai or showing that I know the price (or that I know that the vendor uses double pricing) had ANY impact on the vendor's attitude whatsoever. I've been to places with menus and price lists in Thai and English (with different prices for the same item). After pointing out the discrepancies they would usually stick with their fleecing mission.

The vendors that use double pricing simply feel it's their duty to the country to shaft a foreigner as much as possible. A lost sale is of no concern to them. There is no point in discussing the issue with them. If you happened to achieve a positive change of their attitude, good for you. I find it simpler to walk away after letting them know that I won't pay for their fake smiles.

They have no concept of return business whatsoever.

• Like 1

I don't know the OP in this sad story, but in the 8 years I have been living in Thailand I have met a lot like him.

I used to wonder why they were constantly overcharged for certain items or services, then I realized that Thai people have an uncanny ability to suss people out and charge them accordingly. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.g6eSBeV0mM.w

Judging by the attitude of the OP in his comments on this topic, he would attract "hi-so" prices wherever he went, not just at coffee stalls.

The funny thing is that the foreigners who find out they have been charged more than the "going price" think that all Thais charge all foreigners more.

Not so, but it probably makes them feel good to think that we are all being robbed.

My advice to anyone who comes to Thailand and cannot handle the two price system, is to go home, where everyone pays the same price - VERY BLOODY HIGH ! clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

You know I wrote the price is not an issue,and you know I wrote dual pricing is not also,so why go on like I have a problem with it.

I understand the confusion however it was made quite clear that it was the fact that they were hiding it,I actually support dual pricing in over posts.

Now that you have made the assumption could you explain why,I never wrote I was against dual pricing,I'm against bs.

As for appearing hi so,you got that from one post,I was homeless as a young man,spent most of my time in Thailand in Muay Thai camps,covered in tattoos,don't think I look very hi so,would be a mistake I have f all money to speak of,lol.

Lol the hard man Muay figther now that spent most of his childhood in muay camps & can't speak the lingo.

• Like 2

It`s all very simple.

And I've always found EVERYWHERE that uses dual pricing, where I can read the Thai menu, or the Thai numbers, they let me pay the Thai price.

Nobody even asks for a Thai DL ..... read it and I can have it.

Even the vending machines here rip you off. It's the new FDDT (Farang Dispensing Detection Technology). The machine is fitted with a small Thai person looking through the change slot. When a farang approaches the machine he pulls a lever that doubles all the prices.

I'd heard this was a spin off from the Hubble Telescope project, but I have no link to confirm this.

Don't exaggerate MJP, the technology is is no way related to Hubble, FDDT is totally independent and also very effective, it keep hundreds of small Thai's in employment.

• Like 1

As I said price is not the issue,it was how nice they were being to us,everyday,then whispering to charge extra,a dog act.

The nicest, most convincing people money can buy.

What nationality do you think that saying refers to? :rolleyes:

• Like 1

As I said price is not the issue,it was how nice they were being to us,everyday,then whispering to charge extra,a dog act.

What nationality do you think that saying refers to? rolleyes.gif

If you ever wanted to hear an anti-Thai rant, you needed to be round my house about an hour ago when the old woman kicked off big!!!

Now after all these years she wants to move to . . . . that's right . . . . Devon!

Kid you not!

• Like 2

Even the vending machines here rip you off. It's the new FDDT (Farang Dispensing Detection Technology). The machine is fitted with a small Thai person looking through the change slot. When a farang approaches the machine he pulls a lever that doubles all the prices.

I'd heard this was a spin off from the Hubble Telescope project, but I have no link to confirm this.

Don't exaggerate MJP, the technology is is no way related to Hubble, FDDT is totally independent and also very effective, it keep hundreds of small Thai's in employment.

Do you think the penny finally dropped?

Can coins drop in a vacuum, dunno. laugh.png

• Like 1

Can coins drop in a vacuum, dunno. laugh.png

cheesy.gif

Whats new?

Thais charge farang and his wife double. Smiles while doing it. In fact, they're so lovely and happy and friendly and peaceful and the perfect, jolly, waiing, friendly Buddhists you hear about from TAT or after somebody returns home after a week on a their first Thai holiday.

Oh wait, that's not new, that's been going on since the Dutch and Portuguese came here.

• Like 1

When I used to go out and about, I used to love meeting the travelers who just did a visa run to Cambodia and asking them did they need the 500b 'one day' stamp from Thai Immigration, that would allow them to leave and return in the same day.

Of course the answer was yes. Many just would not believe me when I told that it is a complete scam. But, but, but, there were five immigration and custom officials in the room giving it and collecting the money... cheesy.gif

No matter how many times I told them, yup, that's Thais and Thailand for you, they would not believe it. biggrin.png

The perfect scam, when the victim cannot and will not believe they have been scammed... no wonder they have it down to a fine art. They're experts at smiling and waiing and being lovely while cheating and stealing from you. :D

Edited by 1ma
  • Like 1

I don't know the OP in this sad story, but in the 8 years I have been living in Thailand I have met a lot like him.

I used to wonder why they were constantly overcharged for certain items or services, then I realized that Thai people have an uncanny ability to suss people out and charge them accordingly. xwhistling.gif.pagespeed.ic.g6eSBeV0mM.w

Judging by the attitude of the OP in his comments on this topic, he would attract "hi-so" prices wherever he went, not just at coffee stalls.

The funny thing is that the foreigners who find out they have been charged more than the "going price" think that all Thais charge all foreigners more.

Not so, but it probably makes them feel good to think that we are all being robbed.

My advice to anyone who comes to Thailand and cannot handle the two price system, is to go home, where everyone pays the same price - VERY BLOODY HIGH ! clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

You know I wrote the price is not an issue,and you know I wrote dual pricing is not also,so why go on like I have a problem with it.

I understand the confusion however it was made quite clear that it was the fact that they were hiding it,I actually support dual pricing in over posts.

Now that you have made the assumption could you explain why,I never wrote I was against dual pricing,I'm against bs.

As for appearing hi so,you got that from one post,I was homeless as a young man,spent most of my time in Thailand in Muay Thai camps,covered in tattoos,don't think I look very hi so,would be a mistake I have f all money to speak of,lol.

Lol the hard man Muay figther now that spent most of his childhood in muay camps & can't speak the lingo.

Hang on a minute,I did not sat my childhood was in Muay Thai camps,can you show me where I wrote that.

Like the other three your assuming things.

What nationality do you think that saying refers to? rolleyes.gif

If you ever wanted to hear an anti-Thai rant, you needed to be round my house about an hour ago when the old woman kicked off big!!!

Now after all these years she wants to move to . . . . that's right . . . . Devon!

Kid you not!

spent a week in Devon one Friday night,drove round just as it was gettin dark and you could see em shavin each other's backs through the window..boss place.

Call them "ai heea khee gohng" in front of their regular customers. That'll teach them good and proper. They will be forced to relocate their cart which could be a major pain for them if they have found a good spot.

Please learn the meaning of "ai heea" before you use it.

Can get you into real big trouble.

Call them "ai heea khee gohng" in front of their regular customers. That'll teach them good and proper. They will be forced to relocate their cart which could be a major pain for them if they have found a good spot.

Please learn the meaning of "ai heea" before you use it.

Can get you into real big trouble.

without a doubt..

I dont get it. Good service, good coffee yet you feel offended because locals who have been buying coffee at this shop for years probably get a discount. Plus you have no knowledge of the cost of an iced coffee? Nor does your Thai wife? Either your both daft or your wife is in cahoots with the coffee vendors in robbing you blind. Our 3 year old knows the price of an iced coffee for five cents. I say good for the vendor.

Plus you need to give more details. Is your coffee exactly the same? Same amount of coffee, size, sugar, sweet milk, instant or fresh brewed? Many reasons other than being a daft farang for getting charged extra. Or this is the normal Thursday "double pricing" troll thread being rolled out on Monday!

You have not been reading all the posts in the thread have you,that's very obvious.

Nope, read them all......my assumption stands......daft. And now bored.

Not exactly sure what your point is. Mine is that multilevel pricing exists in a lot of places considered "civilized".

The reasons for it are irrelevant. Stop bellyaching. If you dont like it, take your ball and go home.

otherwise, grow up and deal with it.

Noice writing, especially the one i put oin bold/ But you have forget the closing sentence that is mandatory in you Thai apologistic weared out chant: "don't slam the door on your a**"

It adds that pinch of unfunny cynicism, and goes well with the character of a real keyboard warrior / real life looser.

• Like 1

I dont get it. Good service, good coffee yet you feel offended because locals who have been buying coffee at this shop for years probably get a discount. Plus you have no knowledge of the cost of an iced coffee? Nor does your Thai wife? Either your both daft or your wife is in cahoots with the coffee vendors in robbing you blind. Our 3 year old knows the price of an iced coffee for five cents. I say good for the vendor.

Plus you need to give more details. Is your coffee exactly the same? Same amount of coffee, size, sugar, sweet milk, instant or fresh brewed? Many reasons other than being a daft farang for getting charged extra. Or this is the normal Thursday "double pricing" troll thread being rolled out on Monday!

You have not been reading all the posts in the thread have you,that's very obvious.

Nope, read them all......my assumption stands......daft. And now bored.

If you have in fact read them,why do you still not know my wife was the one who caught them out.

Explain that,for someone who just read the posts you would know it was mentioned several times,therefore you must be trolling.

could you elaborate how your wife found out she is overcharged?

Sure,when we returned to Bangkok after two years we notice price rises everywhere,we both remarked to each other how even the coffee stand has gone up.

No marked price,not expensive,happy to pay,the people were very friendly,we have a one year old daughter and you know how they carry on over half thai babies,they were so nice.

We were always served by the woman,on the day we found out her husband served us,he quoted a new lower price,his wife stopped him and whispered not quite quietly enough something about farang special price in thai.

He suddenly raised the price to the usual price,my wife was well pissed but what can you do other then go elsewhere of coarse and post here as we do.

Double pricing is fine,dishonesty is not,she hid the price difference from us.

I have been pissy this week,love Thailand,always will but my wife's cousin was pulled over by the police,had a certain something put on him,very good man,decent hard working man,was told to sign a confession and was beaten,he refused,beaten again,refused beaten terribly bad.

Her cousins family spent quite a bit of cash getting him out for something they put on him,I'm dirty about it,I like him,he was beaten like a dog.

So small things have set me off this week I will admit.

For the trolls out there,no we did not pay for him to be released.

I read about these things,but when you see it happen to someone you know and like,some of the things here are a little frustrating.

• Like 1

S

I usually get the opposite treatment from food sellers. Larger portions and speedier service because they think it is funny/cute that I eat Thai food. Outside tourist zones obviously.

They really whack on the chilli when they ask if I can eat hot.Bit of a test I suppose,no probs.Pop in a whole one sometimes,for show.

I agree all that claim to be charged farang price's should take their business elsewhere or make their own coffee at home!

Cheers

That's why I go elsewhere now,pay more now then the other place,happy to do so.

So let me see if I understand you. You are now paying more for your coffee at the 2nd cart then you were charged at the first cart?

Isn't that like cutting your nose off to spite your face?

If it were me I would just buy the coffee that I liked better. You always have the option to just hand the first cart the baht he charges everyone else, they will take it and move on.