No shame,no morals.

Kangawallafox

i didn't bother reading all this but seems to me you guys are looking at it from the wrong perspective.

instead of seeing it as a surcharge on foreigners, see it as a discount for locals. they earn less than us, so it's fair (or at least not an issue to get indignant about) that they should pay less.

OAPs get discounted travel in the UK but nobody complains they are overcharging people under 65.

Very wrong view and even worst analogy.

Travel, housing, medical care, given free or at a discount from the State to the poor or elderly or other category in the need = social welfare in various forms. You, as taxpayer, pay it.

Dual pricing by private business on the basis of nationality = greedy racism. They, the owners, pocket the difference.

All of the State supported universities I know of engage in double pricing based on nationality or State nationality. It's the same for many forms of government programs in the USA that are based on State funding. Many businesses and resorts and other organizations grant discounts based on nationality or location of home residence. So what. SOP. Get over it. Thailand is just being normal. People in the South of America charge Yankees more as soon as they see a license plate or hear them talk. AAA used to tell drivers which towns to avoid where the local sheriff would speed trap the folks from New York.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

most foreigners in thailand aren't tax payers in any way. social welfare is a synonym for dual pricing, you're just splitting bureaucratic hairs.

Beside that in Thjailand you pay VAT on everything, excise on alchool, and a quatity of other taxes, I was referring to welfare only a simpleton can call "dual pricing" in western countries, not in Thailand.

You can fail to see the difference, like to be milked, and even defend the practice, just realize that most others don't think like you do.

Funny how some people here assume I must of been rude to them without hearing the extremely polite exchanges.

Others as usual assume the wife knew,despite the fact that she was the one who caught them out and told me we will buy elsewhere.

Others assume I am new to Thailand,or have never lived here despite me never saying that.

The number of assumptions if I went through the thread is mind blowing to say the least.

Worse are those that say people here don't try to fleece people,they do it all the time,and others saying they get cheaper then the locals,hhhhhhhmmmm,I don't think so.

Anyone that says people don't try to screw them is simply trying to look like they are the all knowing farang,so amazing in the eyes of Thais they would not dare try to fleece them,they know and love me in my village to much.

All that why they sit typing their post in a house they purchased in the wife's name,no,no one can get one over some of you who claim it does not happen.

• Like 2

You don't pay VAT on everything, only selected goods. Tourists (non-residents) are eligible for a VAT refund on anything that has VAT included, subject to a few conditions. What are the 'quantity of other taxes'? I don't understand the last part of your first sentence sorry.

You are a majority I agree, but majorities are often ignorant and not well-informed because it's human nature to follow the popular consensus of opinion, particularly when it serves to benefit the individual.

Funny how some people here assume I must of been rude to them without hearing the extremely polite exchanges. Others as usual assume the wife knew,despite the fact that she was the one who caught them out and told me we will buy elsewhere. Others assume I am new to Thailand,or have never lived here despite me never saying that. The number of assumptions if I went through the thread is mind blowing to say the least. Worse are those that say people here don't try to fleece people,they do it all the time,and others saying they get cheaper then the locals,hhhhhhhmmmm,I don't think so. Anyone that says people don't try to screw them is simply trying to look like they are the all knowing farang,so amazing in the eyes of Thais they would not dare try to fleece them,they know and love me in my village to much. All that why they sit typing their post in a house they purchased in the wife's name,no,no one can get one over some of you who claim it does not happen.

Nothing new here. If anything less than good happens to a foreigner in Thailand, it's always his/her fault, some common reasons given:

New to Thailand (as you noted)

Not polite enough.

Not dressed well or not dressed at all.

Not handsum man.

Doesn't speak Thai.

Born backpacker.

In my country too,

In that country more.

Trolling, it doesn't happen to me.

Of course the navigated Thai apologist wil also use various other tricks of the trade to gloat victoriously on the unfortunate. One that is really a classic in brain smallness is parroting "som nam na" at the very end of the posting.

• Like 1

All countries engage in dual pricing to some extent. British universities charge foreign students 4-8 times in tuition fees what they charge nationals, because they can get it and for no other reason. Tourists in London who aren't canny enough to get an Oyster card (and pay the £5 deposit) are charged double fare on the tube.

If you can't speak Thai, you're at a massive disadvantage .

Went to rent a motorbike a couple of days ago. Checked the price of a month on the website and then called the foreign owner. 1000 baht more than the price on the website! Why? Because it's the day before NYE. rolleyes.gif

His prices were already 500 baht above his rivals, but because he "knew me", according to him, he offered me a 'special price' of 1000 baht above his published price as opposed to 2000 baht above his published price.

Next day, on New Years Eve itself, I was offered the same bike by another vendor for the 'normal' price. 500 baht less than the published priced of the first vendor.

Some people are just like that. Nothing to do with being Thai.

I know this will sound silly to some, not practical to others and I can't do that for the language challenged, but learning the language of your spouse or the place you call home or a place you visit frequently is just;, COMMON SENSE!

I know this will sound silly to some, not practical to others and I can't do that for the language challenged, but learning the language of your spouse or the place you call home or a place you visit frequently is just;, COMMON SENSE!

Was no communication problem,how do you think I got the coffee and she got the money if there was a communication breakdown.

The problem was farang special price,regardless of language I am still farang.

Was no communication problem,how do you think I got the coffee and she got the money if there was a communication breakdown.

The problem was farang special price,regardless of language I am still farang.

Your terminology is incorrect. It should not read Farang it should read "non Thai." In Britain they call it non British and in Canada they call it non Canadian and in France they call it non French in America they have many words including non American, out of State and so on...

It is what it is,ripping someone off with a smile is a dog act,don't sugar coat it.

I used to do the same. We would quote a price based on what the customer would pay, and how difficult they were to deal with, and what level of service they would expect. A lot of that judgement was based on their nationality, particularly for first-time customers.

SC

Yes, I get that - in what you're describing, nationality is a component amongst others, taken into account based on experience and common sense as part of the sales process.

What the OP described is blunt and blind racial discrimination and we all experience it here once in a while - nothing remotely serious but irritating nonetheless.

"Racial discrimination" isn't a MORAL issue in this context, in this culture it's normal and accepted anyway.

Overcharging your more-ignorant customers may not be "ethical" back home but here it and other "sharp practices" are just considered smart business.

IMO most Thais that may support your POV are just doing so out of embarrassment, the country losing face with foreigners, not that they think it's actually "immoral".

Only shop eat drink where prices are displayed.

When there is no price, there is a reason there is no price.

Gf didnt know? I find that very hard to believe. Its very very common for gfs to participate or at least allow foreigner bf to be overcharged.

Don't say that,it's not very nice is it.

She was the one who caught them out and told me.

Why not tell the truth?

Even if a girl's not actually complicit (bargirls getting commissions from places scamming their punters), many even straight girls are happy for their "boyfriend" to pay more, helping out their fellow Thais.

And bargaining "too hard" to get the "real Thai" price will often cause a girl to feel you are shaming them, they're losing face by others (even total strangers) perceiving you as a cheap charlie.

Fair enough, take her feelings into account, your saving a few baht here and there out of "principle" are actually causing her real psychic damage and may well threaten your relationship.

It is what it is,ripping someone off with a smile is a dog act,don't sugar coat it.

I used to do the same. We would quote a price based on what the customer would pay, and how difficult they were to deal with, and what level of service they would expect. A lot of that judgement was based on their nationality, particularly for first-time customers.

SC

Yes, I get that - in what you're describing, nationality is a component amongst others, taken into account based on experience and common sense as part of the sales process.

What the OP described is blunt and blind racial discrimination and we all experience it here once in a while - nothing remotely serious but irritating nonetheless.

"Racial discrimination" isn't a MORAL issue in this context, in this culture it's normal and accepted anyway.

Overcharging your more-ignorant customers may not be "ethical" back home but here it and other "sharp practices" are just considered smart business.

IMO most Thais that may support your POV are just doing so out of embarrassment, the country losing face with foreigners, not that they think it's actually "immoral".

Overcharging ignorant tourists is fair game, I agree.

What can be perceived as unacceptable and infuriating is being overcharged when one is obviously not a tourist fresh out of the plane (speaking Thai, having a Thai partner etc) but merely because one is white. That's not being a sharp vendor IMO, it's being a jerk and yields nothing positive.

My wife often goes in alone to enquire about prices in various places, because she knows that if they see me with her they will inflate the quote. No matter how you put it I will never consider that to be "smart business practice".

• Like 1

Only shop eat drink where prices are displayed.

When there is no price, there is a reason there is no price.

Gf didnt know? I find that very hard to believe. Its very very common for gfs to participate or at least allow foreigner bf to be overcharged.

Don't say that,it's not very nice is it.

She was the one who caught them out and told me.

Why not tell the truth?

Even if a girl's not actually complicit (bargirls getting commissions from places scamming their punters), many even straight girls are happy for their "boyfriend" to pay more, helping out their fellow Thais.

And bargaining "too hard" to get the "real Thai" price will often cause a girl to feel you are shaming them, they're losing face by others (even total strangers) perceiving you as a cheap charlie.

Fair enough, take her feelings into account, your saving a few baht here and there out of "principle" are actually causing her real psychic damage and may well threaten your relationship.

Thanks for the run down on my wife's personality who you have never met,see how stupid that sounds,she is more against that shit then me.

You do realise all Thais are individuals right.

• Like 1

try not to take everything so personally kanga,,use the double pricing to your advantage get your wife to book accommodation or flights and bus tickets while you are in Thailand ,she will get things a lot cheaper than you can get them!! I still can not believe you are still making a fuss

• Like 1

try not to take everything so personally kanga,,use the double pricing to your advantage get your wife to book accommodation or flights and bus tickets while you are in Thailand ,she will get things a lot cheaper than you can get them!! I still can not believe you are still making a fuss

He's been here long enough. Why doesn't he get a job as a teacher? He could give the school back the 30,000 baht per month that he gets paid extra for being a Farang! School would like it. Just tell then, without malice or anger that he wants to be paid the same as a Thai.

Hey OP, don't take the negative comments (to your reasonable post) to heart. Instead, consider how miserable these people must actually be. 10 damn pages about this subject? All these judgmental types, sitting around on their boring, broke ass', acting like they are all knowing. It's clown school.

Do me this: PM me the name and location of this stand. The next time we are in town, I will have my wife stand in front of me, acting as though we are not together. She will order 2 coffees and pay (Thai price). Looking and acting "hi-so" falang, I will then order 2 coffees. When they request payment, I will turn to my wife and ask her how much she paid. If more than my quoted price, I will just politely decline and take one from my wife before departing their stand.

I have traveled Thailand for over 25 years. I love the country and believe the country is capable of better. It has the same resources as my home of Hawaii, but acts like this, as small as they are, are holding Thailand back from bigger, better things. You are doing these people a favor...but the clown school here is too numb and self-absorbed to understand simple math, instead preferring to attack one of their own as it apparently makes them feel more Thai. In the states, we call similar people "whiggers". I would call these people "chanee" / white faced, bitch monkeys.

• Like 2

I understand the principle causing so much indignation.

But the stall holder who wanted to charge a couple of baht more to a falang knew the falang ....1) Could or used to get more each hour than they earn in a 12 hour shift. 2) They have no pension of note or social security. It is a dog eat dog battle for survival. They have to battle and fight to survive. Hence sending their daughters out to falang and trying to maximise their income etc etc.

When the mean falang wet himself for being asked to pay a couple of baht more than poor Thai people I dont think he consider he used to try and maximise his income. Albeit when selling something ... a house or car or if he owned a business selling widgets or looking for a higher rate of pay. Consider please what it would be like to have no pension or any worth, an extremely low income and no social security. You would try and maximise your earnings too. Not for holidays or a posh house or a posh car bUt to SURVIVE

Also why think that falang are charged more. Why not think Thai give a discount to Thais. Good luck to those who get a discount. Dont get bitter and twisted because some get it cheaper. They know fellow Thais have to watch their pennies.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I understand the principle causing so much indignation.But the stall holder who wanted to charge a couple of baht more to a falang knew the falang ....1) Could or used to get more each hour than they earn in a 12 hour shift. 2) They have no pension of note or social security. It is a dog eat dog battle for survival. They have to battle and fight to survive. Hence sending their daughters out to falang and trying to maximise their income etc etc. When the mean falang wet himself for being asked to pay a couple of baht more than poor Thai people I dont think he consider he used to try and maximise his income. Albeit when selling something ... a house or car or if he owned a business selling widgets or looking for a higher rate of pay. Consider please what it would be like to have no pension or any worth, an extremely low income and no social security. You would try and maximise your earnings too. Not for holidays or a posh house or a posh car bUt to SURVIVE

I was homeless as a youth,but thanks for the education on struggles.

If it was really a dog eat dog world I would simply punch her in the face and take the coffee,however that's why we have morals in place.

I will repeat it because you are jumping in without reading everything as usual,money was not the issue.

If she was open about it I would pay,I never support bs,however you do obviously have know problem with people lying to you.

Oh dear. I would punch her in mouth etc etc. says it all about you. I aint arqueing with you ... You will always cry because someone wants to earn a living and charges you a rate you were happy with till you find out someone else got it 2 baht cheaper. Boooooo ooooooooo. Cry cry sulk sulk.

• Like 1

Oh dear. I would punch her in mouth etc etc. says it all about you. I aint arqueing with you ... You will always cry because someone wants to earn a living and charges you a rate you were happy with till you find out someone else got it 2 baht cheaper. Boooooo ooooooooo. Cry cry sulk sulk.

Again you are failing to understand,I never said i would punch her in the face,that was a statement made to show it is not a dog eat dog world,read between the lines.

Notice I wrote we have morals so we don't do that,or did you not only fail to read all the posts this time,you failed to read even the full length of a single one.

You also failed to read again the price is no issue,you are not to quick are you.

That's ok champ,I will continue to explain every post to you,frustrating as it is.

could you elaborate how your wife found out she is overcharged?

Sure,when we returned to Bangkok after two years we notice price rises everywhere,we both remarked to each other how even the coffee stand has gone up.

No marked price,not expensive,happy to pay,the people were very friendly,we have a one year old daughter and you know how they carry on over half thai babies,they were so nice.

We were always served by the woman,on the day we found out her husband served us,he quoted a new lower price,his wife stopped him and whispered not quite quietly enough something about farang special price in thai.

He suddenly raised the price to the usual price,my wife was well pissed but what can you do other then go elsewhere of coarse and post here as we do.

Double pricing is fine,dishonesty is not,she hid the price difference from us.

I have been pissy this week,love Thailand,always will but my wife's cousin was pulled over by the police,had a certain something put on him,very good man,decent hard working man,was told to sign a confession and was beaten,he refused,beaten again,refused beaten terribly bad.

Her cousins family spent quite a bit of cash getting him out for something they put on him,I'm dirty about it,I like him,he was beaten like a dog.

So small things have set me off this week I will admit.

For the trolls out there,no we did not pay for him to be released.

I read about these things,but when you see it happen to someone you know and like,some of the things here are a little frustrating.

So an incident of police corruption and brutality wasn't outrageous enough to initiate a thread that might have actually deserved this title, but a minuscule overcharge by a drink vendor who is free to name the price was? Jesus.

Edited by thefamilyjules
  • Like 1

"Ok champ" .... Wow your so macho. You must have a bug willie.

Thai people if their fathers or mothers or grand parents get cancer or other illness have to pay big money to help them. They need to fight and scrimp and save. You cry over paying 2 baht more for a coffee you could make yourself.. You have lived in cossetted UK or whatever country your from. I am saying money to them is more than to you.

If homeless when young you should know better.what it is like to have to count every penny or baht.

Stop thinking about me me me me me. Think about what it is like to work 12 hours a day for 10 pound. So they tricked you and earnt 10 pound 20 pence. Makes you cry. Poor you.

Form the postsings above, Here another two often quote reasons why the foreigner is always at fault, of course hese aren't less idiotic than the ones I wrote before.

- Thai morals are different

- You are rich, they aren't

And another one, good in any case:

- Man up

I cant wait for the OP next post. Big C charge 2 baht more than 7 eleven, 30 pages of shock and horror.. Cry cry cry cry. Ok he will say its the principal. Principal Principal. Sod human kindness and empathy. Well off falang asked for more than Thai whose average wage is fraction of falang as Thai stall owners well know. Falang rushes home to post whingeing thread. Oh dear. Nice to be angry some times. I might go for a coffee tomorrow. Sod it.

I cant wait for the OP next post. Big C charge 2 baht more than 7 eleven, 30 pages of shock and horror..

To which you contributed various posts of useless contempt, based on not much really.