2014 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Rooo

Well - I am told that the best Massaman curry is at Jonathan's in Maenam. It takes a while and is always freshly prepared.

Not a cheap place but a great restaurant. I'll bet that they will arrange roti if you book on advance.

Another great place for massaman is Shambala in Bangrak. Again - it takes longer to cook - wait an extra 15 minutes.

Shambala is a very reasonable price and again, I'll be that she will do roti if you pre book.

http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/life/destinations/best-koh-samui-846987

(Up there with the Four Seasons, The W and Zazen!!!!)

Never seen Jonathan's in Maenam..... where? wink.png

Taking the extra time means the spuds would be cooked....thumbsup.gif

As for Torrens question in CM, ask on the local forum there!

Never did find Jonathan's in Maenam! blink.pngtongue.png

But last night I had one of the best Masaman curries I have ever had on Samui, thumbsup.gif .... In Nathon, along the sea front... second restaurant when turning on to the sea front road ...

IMG_8795.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had Sunday lunch at the Premier Bar last Sunday. Very tasty. licklips.gif

Huge portions - none of us could manage a dessert. In fact - I did not eat for the rest of the day. sleep.png Cauliflower, broccoli, peas, carrots, meat, gravy and a huge Yorkshire Pudding.

Well recommended. There is a choice of chicken/lamb/pork (with crackling). I cannot remember the price, but not expensive.clap2.gif Well done Steve.

• Like 1

Having twice been caught out @ Svensens this month I thought i'd post a general warning:

1. Special offers: A couple of weeks ago I had one that contained around a third of the glass full of dry chocolate powder, masking the fact that the remainder was a little light in content. My wife observed similar with hers.

2. Menu-v-reality: During a later trip I ordered an off the peg sundae that clearly showed 2x normal <billiard ball> sized scoops in the menu, yet only had one <golfball> sized scoop when it arrived.

Twice bitten...

Past v. Present: Coming back to Samui for the first time in 2.5 years last month, one of the first places I had to revisit was the Bondi Bar in Lamai. When we lived here, the full rack of ribs there were one of my favourite indulgences and i couldn't wait to have them again.

So on our second day I made sure to eat light, and headed there with some friends.

What a disappointment. In the ensuing 2.5 years the full-rack of ribs had somehow shrunk from 9 ribs to 6, which increasing in price. (The photos on the board at the front entrance still showed the full-rack with 9 ribs, so we know we weren't imagining it.) Still delicious, but still left a bitter taste.

Don't recall hearing a positive review of Bondi bar food since it opened. Have eaten there a couple of times when other people have paid (not ribs) and found the food bland (under seasoned) along with being unimaginative in addition to being overcooked. Try Bikini bar (near swing bar) for that type of food.

Don't recall hearing a positive review of Bondi bar food since it opened. Have eaten there a couple of times when other people have paid (not ribs) and found the food bland (under seasoned) along with being unimaginative in addition to being overcooked. Try Bikini bar (near swing bar) for that type of food.

I had an Aussie steak pie there once....was over 400 Baht and tasteless....poor quality meat with a crisp on top.....memorable for all of the wrong reasons.

Nice bar for a drink tho.

Pics from the fried chicken shack in front of Tesco Hua Thanon.

They don't marinate the chicken in MSG like most other vendors tends to do, so you don't get the thirsty-like feeling after you've eaten something with lots of MSG.

Expect to wait in queue when you arrive and you should just quickly select whatever piece you like immediately when it comes out of the fryer otherwise somebody else will take them and you'll have to wait for next batch.

Prices are also very reasonable.

Their banner says it's a recipe from Yala province.

They starts selling from around 3PM-8PM. I've been told they sell over 100kg of chicken every day.

post-17753-0-32854600-1413545820_thumb.j post-17753-0-40587700-1413545825_thumb.j post-17753-0-21745900-1413545830_thumb.j post-17753-0-75064800-1413545834_thumb.j

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

Tried the new burger restaurant in Fisherman's Village last night. It's just under the arch on the left as you enter called Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. Set up as an American style diner and staff all friendly. Menu consists of cheeseburgers (no surprise there!) fries and floats (may have been a vegetarian option available). Couple of different sizes of burger and cheese can be withheld, normal selection of other drinks available too. The burgers are all 'homemade' and taste great, the relish / sauce also homemade is a good touch too. Everything cooked to order so it's all fresh and not fast food (not slow either) . If you ever get that burger craving well worth a visit. Price wise not bad (for the village!) 2 x smaller sized cheeseburgers, 2 x cokes and a basket of fries 600 baht.

Edited by sketcher

600 baht not bad for the village!

In Ban Por, Three hamburgers and three soft drinks 490 baht last night, with a reasonable amount of chips wink.png Not bad as hamburgers go! ... perhaps because it is run by a Swiss guy and his wife!

Friendly service ...thumbsup.gif

Nathon%2BLent%2BFest%2Band%2BMaenam%2Bbe

watch for this sign on the sea side of the ring road in Ban por... on the beach with a good view!

Nathon%2BLent%2BFest%2Band%2BMaenam%2Bbe

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 2

Tried the new burger restaurant in Fisherman's Village last night. It's just under the arch on the left as you enter called Cheeseburger Cheeseburger. Set up as an American style diner and staff all friendly. Menu consists of cheeseburgers (no surprise there!) fries and floats (may have been a vegetarian option available). Couple of different sizes of burger and cheese can be withheld, normal selection of other drinks available too. The burgers are all 'homemade' and taste great, the relish / sauce also homemade is a good touch too. Everything cooked to order so it's all fresh and not fast food (not slow either) . If you ever get that burger craving well worth a visit. Price wise not bad (for the village!) 2 x smaller sized cheeseburgers, 2 x cokes and a basket of fries 600 baht.

How is the cheese and bun with the burger?....usually the let down in Thailand for me...

• Like 1

How is the cheese and bun with the burger?....usually the let down in Thailand for me...

Likely still processed because non processed cheese generally separates into milk solids and fat (ghee really) upon heating. Given the price of B600 for 2 small cheeseburgers, 2 cokes and fries I would hope for a decent bun which is made from yeast rather than the sugar laden 'cakes' that are usually used.

Having twice been caught out @ Svensens this month I thought i'd post a general warning:

1. Special offers: A couple of weeks ago I had one that contained around a third of the glass full of dry chocolate powder, masking the fact that the remainder was a little light in content. My wife observed similar with hers.

2. Menu-v-reality: During a later trip I ordered an off the peg sundae that clearly showed 2x normal <billiard ball> sized scoops in the menu, yet only had one <golfball> sized scoop when it arrived.

Twice bitten...

Just got back from Chiang Mai where Swensens in Central charged 100 baht for 2 scoops of Green Tea ice cream. Samui has been charging 150 for a long time. That's a big price hike.

OK so I love my food.

Still looking for the ultimate 'full monty' and the Large Secret Garden breakfast takes some beating.

Sitting on the beach at Bangrak watching the world go by on a Sunday morning. Breakfast - only 215 baht (I think) and discount for Samui residents. (I showed my driving licence.)

I do not normally take photos (I am rubbish and Jimmy's put me to shame) but here is wifey's plate (she does not eat eggs) but you can have eggs any style. Includes tea or coffee and juice.

licklips.gif

If the photo is upside down - sorry. I do not know why. It is the right way up in my folder. As I said - I am rubbish with photos. Now you know why I do not do them. sad.png

So - Full English breaky on the beach at Rik's in Secret Garden. Yummy. (Open early as well.)

Edited by Rooo
Fixed photo.
  • Like 2

Went to eat at Zen Japanese restaurant yesterday. Walked in shortly before 6pm with my family and it was empty, prompting me to think that they continue where they left off at Big C.
First glance at the menu showed rather high prices.

Two condiments at the table were missing and 3 meals we ordered were not available. One wrong dish was brought to the table and exchanged for the correct plate.

A promotion for AIS users was activated by phone but the restaurant could not find the confirmation by AIS.

When it came to paying, it turns out that debit cards (your 'normal' ATM card) are not accepted only credit cards or cash.

All in all a very overpriced and mediocre meal. Our conclusion; we tried once and won't go back anymore. Horrible service.

Otooya one floor up we get better tasting food at a much favorable price.

My fave Japanese place on Samui is still Kobori in Maenam. Authentic and very tasty.

Edited by limbos
  • Like 1

Went to eat at Zen Japanese restaurant yesterday. Walked in shortly before 6pm with my family and it was empty, prompting me to think that they continue where they left off at Big C.

First glance at the menu showed rather high prices.

Two condiments at the table were missing and 3 meals we ordered were not available. One wrong dish was brought to the table and exchanged for the correct plate.

A promotion for AIS users was activated by phone but the restaurant could not find the confirmation by AIS.

When it came to paying, it turns out that debit cards (your 'normal' ATM card) are not accepted only credit cards or cash.

All in all a very overpriced and mediocre meal. Our conclusion; we tried once and won't go back anymore. Horrible service.

Otooya one floor up we get better tasting food at a much favorable price.

My fave Japanese place on Samui is still Kobori in Maenam. Authentic and very tasty.

Will have to try Kobori. My fave is Otaru in Chaweng beach road, next to SCB near lake road junction.

Boat came just in this morning in Nathon and they're still sorting out the catch.

post-17753-0-05485500-1416121668_thumb.j post-17753-0-16805600-1416121690_thumb.j post-17753-0-49529500-1416121699_thumb.j post-17753-0-24813200-1416121720_thumb.j

post-17753-0-66433800-1416121707_thumb.j

Mantis shrimp and crabs still alive and kicking.

post-17753-0-09003200-1416121733_thumb.j

These prawns were still alive last night.

post-17753-0-50538500-1416121727_thumb.j

But now it's 800/kg!! I bought only half kilo.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 2

I ran out of tempura flour, so I'm frying it as it.

post-17753-0-88118000-1416124811_thumb.j post-17753-0-45370600-1416124820_thumb.j

After eating, I realized you don't really need to do much with fresh prawns like this, so from now on, I'm probably not gonna use tempura flour.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

I ran out of tempura flour, so I'm frying it as it.

After eating, I realized you don't really need to do much with fresh prawns like this, so from now on, I'm probably not gonna use tempura flour.

I think you would be hard pressed to find a chef who would agree with you. There is however a dish a saw prepared somewhere in the north of Thailand many many years ago which involved flash frying in extremely hot oil a prawn that had previously been part steamed over a lemon grass reduction.

It is now 18 November 2014 and I am again looking for a place on Koh Samui that will be serving an American style Thanksgiving meal. Last year I could not find a place, so this year I have my fingers and toes crossed.

If anyone knows of a place, I would be delighted to hear about it. wai.gif

Has anyone seen any Bounty bars around lately? Tesco used to have them.

They still appear there from time to time. Apologies, I tend to buy a handful at a time.

They can also be found in Big C - the sweet section next to the tinned fish/fresh produce. (I think that is is called 'imported food' or some such thing. They also have mini bounty bars in Big C sometimes.