Right hand drive manual transmission- is it easy to adapt?

DA3NDORPHIN3

The instruction do not come from a different side of your brain for different hands.

Even when left-brain-right-brain theories were accepted, they didn't describe the movement of left-hand-right-hand as being separate.

All that is happening is a learned reflex. Therefore it is more natural (for me) to reach for the gear change with my left hand, as that is how I first learned to drive.

When I drive a vehicle with the gear change on the right, I have to think about it for a few minutes until my brain (both sides of it) has processed the fact that it's in a different location.

Normally, I will drive with my hand rested on the gear change for about 15 minutes and after that, I don't have to worry about it any more.

'Shoulder to the centre line' tip from an earlier post is a good one too.

Correct....thumbsup.gif

Not..........Absolute rubbish like your perspective he's as far off base as you are.. But I understand what it is I'm dealing with so I won't argue the point with either of you anymore, I'll just address the OP and those who have the capacity for understanding..

JFYI the OP is already about the difficulty of the process so I guess others have experienced the same thing just not quite sure why until now. The debate is not whether or not you CAN do it but whether or not it ever becomes natural and the same and the fact is, it NEVER does to a previously right handed shifter who is naturally right handed, regardless of how senselessly you argue to the contrary... END of

Edited by WarpSpeed

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The instruction do not come from a different side of your brain for different hands.

Even when left-brain-right-brain theories were accepted, they didn't describe the movement of left-hand-right-hand as being separate.

All that is happening is a learned reflex. Therefore it is more natural (for me) to reach for the gear change with my left hand, as that is how I first learned to drive.

When I drive a vehicle with the gear change on the right, I have to think about it for a few minutes until my brain (both sides of it) has processed the fact that it's in a different location.

Normally, I will drive with my hand rested on the gear change for about 15 minutes and after that, I don't have to worry about it any more.

Correct....thumbsup.gif

Not..........Absolute rubbish like your perspective he's as far off base as you are.. but understand what it is I'm dealing with so I won't argue the point with either of you anymore, I'll just address the OP and those who have the capacity for understanding..

JFYI the OP is already about the difficulty of the process so I guess others have experienced the same thing just not quite sure why until now. The debate is not whether or not you CAN do it but whether or not it ever becomes natural and the same and the fact is, it NEVER does to a previously right handed shifter who is naturally right handed, regardless of how senselessly you argue to the contrary... END of

Rubbish.........coffee1.gif

• Like 1

OH <deleted> the very first sentence of your post shows you're as uneducated as the rest that think like you do without any real knowledge of the science, so no need to discuss anything more, your credibility is nil..

So think about this, every one is naturally ambidextrous then? Rhetorical question BTW.

Oh dear. No, everyone isn't ambidextrous. But that doesn't mean that the left side of your brain controls your left hand.

But there's no real point in 'discussing' things with someone who just resorts to insults right off the bat.

So, ok, seeing as you want to be right, you're right. Sperry's work hasn't been debunked, which naturally means that the right side of my brain has a string connected to my right hand.

Thanks for the insight, and the especially respectful way in which you imparted it to the rest of us, you're a diamond ;)

• Like 2

Warpy, hmmmmmm, I cannot write with my left hand, my gray cells tell me that, BUT, I can drive a car/ride in any configuration. LHD, RHD, noooooooooo problem, and my pals have noooo problem. Your theory has noooo relevance to driving something. On the/your race track, cars are left or right hand drive, do YOU have a problem with either ?

It's not a theory and the reason you can't write with your left hand, it's about the science of coordination and applies to driving too. Nothing says he can't drive both sides nor can you but it is still NEVER going to be natural or the same, which is what I've said from the beginning..

OH <deleted> the very first sentence of your post shows you're as uneducated as the rest that think like you do without any real knowledge of the science, so no need to discuss anything more, your credibility is nil..

So think about this, every one is naturally ambidextrous then? Rhetorical question BTW.

Oh dear. No, everyone isn't ambidextrous. But that doesn't mean that the left side of your brain controls your left hand.

But there's no real point in 'discussing' things with someone who just resorts to insults right off the bat.

So, ok, seeing as you want to be right, you're right. Sperry's work hasn't been debunked, which naturally means that the right side of my brain has a string connected to my right hand.

Thanks for the insight, and the especially respectful way in which you imparted it to the rest of us, you're a diamond wink.png

You sir, are an idiot, it doesn't nor did I ever say it does, quite the opposite but being too dense you managed to skip right to your own deluded conclusion, the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa... Get it??

I don't have respect for people who argue a point without even taking the time to educate themselves on the topic first, respect comes from knowledge and educated debate and you've neither apparently but still insist on arguing without it so therefore no need for respect.. Respect is earned not expected, I respect many posters here but only those who have educated themselves (IMHO comes to mind) or don't insist they know better when they have no real empirical knowledge or at minimum done the real research which you obviously haven't..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thanks for the insight, and the especially respectful way in which you imparted it to the rest of us, you're a diamond wink.png

You sir, are an idiot, it doesn't nor did I ever said it does, the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body and vice versa... Get it??

:lol: that's really funny. Thanks .

• Like 1

Correct....thumbsup.gif

Not..........Absolute rubbish like your perspective he's as far off base as you are.. but understand what it is I'm dealing with so I won't argue the point with either of you anymore, I'll just address the OP and those who have the capacity for understanding..

Rubbish.........coffee1.gif

Yes of course it is, the standard answer of the uneducated, have a nice day...

Edited by WarpSpeed

OK, you yanks planning a fly drive holiday to the UK, and Brits planning a fly drive to the USA, cancel it, cos Warpy says your brain will not deal with it. Drat, sorry guys and gals. sad.png

See, once again your comprehension is lacking, Warpy never said any such thing...

OK, you yanks planning a fly drive holiday to the UK, and Brits planning a fly drive to the USA, cancel it, cos Warpy says your brain will not deal with it. Drat, sorry guys and gals. sad.png

See, once again your comprehension is lacking, Warpy never said any such thing...

Really, hmmmm. I am off to bed then..........thumbsup.gif

Shifting the gears is adopted very fast with one hand or the other. Driving on the other side is more tricky. When you make turns particularly. I even went wrong once back in Europe biggrin.png.

If you have a Misses, you may not want to get an automatic. Manual is a natural scratch protection.

Warpy, hmmmmmm, I cannot write with my left hand, my gray cells tell me that, BUT, I can drive a car/ride in any configuration. LHD, RHD, noooooooooo problem, and my pals have noooo problem. Your theory has noooo relevance to driving something. On the/your race track, cars are left or right hand drive, do YOU have a problem with either ?

It's not a theory and the reason you can't write with your left hand, it's about the science of coordination and applies to driving too. Nothing says he can't drive both sides nor can you but it is still NEVER going to be natural or the same, which is what I've said from the beginning..

How does your cock-eyed theory account for the fact that the vast majority of people are right-handed, so to use your logic the vast majority of drivers in Thailand or UK, for example, should never find it natural to change gear with their left hand? What you are banging on about is clearly absolute nonsense, regardless of brain configuration. I've never once heard of any driver in UK or here complain that RHD vehicles with the gear lever on the left pose problems to right-handed drivers.

• Like 2

The clutching coordination is also effected by left hand shifting, again due to the same side of the brain doing both tasks.

So when you're driving a left-hand drive manual car your accelerator coordination is affected by right-handed gear changing "due to the same side of the brain doing both tasks"?

I think you are forgetting that the human brain is well enough developed to be able to do more than one thing at a time.

How does your cock-eyed theory account for the fact that the vast majority of people are right-handed, so to use your logic the vast majority of drivers in Thailand or UK, for example, should never find it natural to change gear with their left hand? What you are banging on about is clearly absolute nonsense, regardless of brain configuration. I've never once heard of any driver in UK or here complain that RHD vehicles with the gear lever on the left pose problems to right-handed drivers.

Yes I figured this was too deep for most, give it up, like the others it's beyond your comprehension, another one missing all the salient points.

OP take my educated advice it's never going to be the same nor completely comfortable but you'll get by enough to function the rest here who haven't the analytically intellect or practical experience are so blinded to the reality it's like trying to explain that soi dogs have no clue of their suffering because that's all they know and to them it's just living life..

Just so you know, once again, it is not a theory it's a fact based on science and biology. Once again for the thickest amongst us, if you're born into it you have nothing to compare against. If you've done it your entire driving career it FEELS normal but it isn't and if you make the change and did it competitively for example where differences really distinguish themselves you'd have something to relate to but you don't.. I have and I do so I know first hand.. No argument really just a chance for those of you to learn what you're clearly clueless about................... Or not............

Edited by WarpSpeed

The clutching coordination is also effected by left hand shifting, again due to the same side of the brain doing both tasks.

So when you're driving a left-hand drive manual car your accelerator coordination is affected by right-handed gear changing "due to the same side of the brain doing both tasks"?

I think you are forgetting that the human brain is well enough developed to be able to do more than one thing at a time.

See this is what I'm talking about, no it isn't the same side of the brain doing both tasks but in order to understand anything else you have to understand the basics on how the human body works, begin with that.. I think you're forgetting that obviously not ALL brains are equal and working to their best capacity based on the ill informed and generalized nonsense that's been flying at me in this thread..

Edited by WarpSpeed

This could go on for ever. To me its just coordination. Some beginners on CAT Heavy Plant took weeks to get the hang of all the Hydro levers /rear steered, some you thought were taking the piss, and weren't Newbies got it in hours, women seemed to grasp the situation dam fast, and damaged the Male Ego. This websites playing up again, anyone noticed, icons have gone

May be true for them transam, Some nationalities are more adaptible.

Jesus ... just get an auto. I bought an automatic Triumph Stag many many years ago in the UK and have never owned a car with a manual gearbox car since.

Okay, manuals can be fun to drive ... but here! ... how much pain do you want to inflict on yourself. Well I suppose okay in the country side. As many have said, not that difficult to adapt to the wheel on the other side ... unless of course you are quite a lot 'long in the tooth'. smile.png

• Like 2

Jesus ... just get an auto. I bought an automatic Triumph Stag many many years ago in the UK and have never owned a car with a manual gearbox car since.

Okay, manuals can be fun to drive ... but here! ... how much pain do you want to inflict on yourself. Well I suppose okay in the country side. As many have said, not that difficult to adapt to the wheel on the other side ... unless of course you are quite a lot 'long in the tooth'. smile.png

Yep, I would never own a manual in LOS, hard work.

• Like 1

Me neither, driving in Pattaya or Bangkok with manual gear must be hell.

Just been to Koh Chang in my auto trans. truck and no problem, okay some wheel spin on the step twisting mountain roads when up, great fun. biggrin.png

Just been to Koh Chang in my auto trans. truck and no problem, okay some wheel spin on the step twisting mountain roads when up, great fun. biggrin.png

Pattaya is fine with a manual.

Pattaya is fine with a manual.

laugh.png