FAKE 500Baht notes

lucifer666

Title says it all i guess. Was in a Hua Hin restaurant last night and was given one in the change. Tried to spend it today ( i never noticed) . Went shopping, and Big C, saw it was a fake. I studied the fake, it had the silver embedded stripe, hologram, watermark. The only difference was the 500 wasn't embossed ( raised surface) . I went back tonight and showed the restaurant owner who replaced it without question

• Like 1

It sounds like it was near perfect. How did you notice it was fake... surly not by the one difference. I don't know anyone who studies their money before spending it.

from the OP "Tried to spend it today ( i never noticed) . Went shopping, and Big C, saw it was a fake"

• Like 1

The thing that would usually trip up a counterfeiter would be the ultra small Arabic numerals incorporated in the Thai numbers lower left and in what appears to be shading behind the King's head. Especially in the shading it takes a good magnifying glass and strong light to make out that the Arabic numbers are clearly printed ... at least with my somewhat dodgy eyes.

micro_500.gif

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I imagine there's a lot of Thai fakes on the street.Not to get off the subject but there's millions of the U.S. Counterfeit 100 dollar bill out there.Have heard some of them excellent quality.People are taking bets when the new ones will be counterfeited

I asked a bank teller once how they detect counterfeit $100s and she showed me a raised area in the bill and other stuff. When I asked about the "pens" she said they are useless unless the fake uses paper instead of cloth which is what real US currency is made of.

BTW, I just bought some of the new $100s and have no doubt someone is already busy trying to copy them.

A cashier let me play with some of her fake example notes.

The fakes looked good but two differences I was shown between the fake and genuine notes was:

1. smell - the genuine note had a distinctive smell wheras the counterfeit didnt smell at all

2.If you rub the note on a white piece of paper eg 100 bt - the red ink comes off on the genuine but nothing happened with the fake

Edited by guru
  • Like 2

The fakes looked good but two differences I was shown between the fake and genuine notes was:

1. smell - the genuine note had a distinctive smell wheras the counterfeit didnt smell at all

2.If you rub the note on a white piece of paper eg 100 bt - the red ink comes off on the genuine but nothing happened with the fake

Dead right. I find it amazing that the red dye comes off the real 100 Bt notes. I would have guessed the other way.

• Like 2

I imagine there's a lot of Thai fakes on the street.Not to get off the subject but there's millions of the U.S. Counterfeit 100 dollar bill out there.Have heard some of them excellent quality.People are taking bets when the new ones will be counterfeited

It is the primary industry in North Korea to make fake $100 bills. Even as fakes they are worth almost as much as a 100 dollar bill printed by the US government

• Like 1

The wife and I were at an exchange place last week and we complained because our bank here wouldn't accept our US 100$ bills even though they looked like brand new, the owner of the exchange place brought out three counterfeit US 100$ notes and showed us the differences....and to tell you the truth I couldn't tell them apart, (but the wife could of course!)

The paper was just a touch stiffer than the real notes and the detail around the presidents right eye was not as clear, the serial numbers were also all 2003 series...as were the numbers on our bills.

Dead right. I find it amazing that the red dye comes off the real 100 Bt notes. I would have guessed the other way.

I actually tried to rub the 500 part on paper, the ink did transfer. I have to say, it was one of the best fakes i have ever seen

I recently got a bunch of USD 20.00 notes at Bangkok Bank head office. One was different to to others and I asked that it be replaced.

You have to check money even that comes from a bank. Don't know about ATM's.

The US should have gone a couple of steps with the new notes.

1/ Following Australia's lead (I think they were the first) and start using plastic money. As I understand it is almost impossible

to counterfeit.

2/ Give a 6 month exchange window for all old 100 dollar bills to be exchanged for the new bills. This would put a crimp

in both drug dealers, counterfeiters (North Korea) and any other illegal business operating on the fringe or not paying

taxes as anyone in any country turning up with large amounts of US cash to explain to there governments how they

came into possession of this cash.

I recently got a bunch of USD 20.00 notes at Bangkok Bank head office. One was different to to others and I asked that it be replaced.

You have to check money even that comes from a bank. Don't know about ATM's.

And yet in another thread someone was going on and on about a Siam Commerical Bank teller who rejected a £50 note because it had a 1 cm tear in it

Since the bank would probably be giving that foreign note to another customer who would (quite rightly) not want the damaged note, it makes sense for them not to want to accept damaged notes. The Bank of England may find it acceptable in that form, but it would probably have to change hands a few times before ever making it back to England.

Edited by Suradit69

attrayant, on 02 Jan 2014 - 13:34, said:
lucifer666, on 02 Jan 2014 - 13:20, said:
Cloggie, on 01 Jan 2014 - 11:52, said:

How would the restaurant owner knows that that was the same note as he gave to you?

That thought crossed my mind also.

A smart restaurant owner would rather lose 500 baht than lose a regular customer.

In Thailand????????????????????????

How would the restaurant owner knows that that was the same note as he gave to you?

A smart restaurant owner would rather lose 500 baht than lose a regular customer.

Or they are putting notes to circulation on purpose and don't want any extra attention ?

Or they are putting notes to circulation on purpose and don't want any extra attention ?

If I was putting fake notes in circulation I wouldn't do it from a fixed address...

The US should have gone a couple of steps with the new notes.

1/ Following Australia's lead (I think they were the first) and start using plastic money. As I understand it is almost impossible

to counterfeit.

2/ Give a 6 month exchange window for all old 100 dollar bills to be exchanged for the new bills. This would put a crimp

in both drug dealers, counterfeiters (North Korea) and any other illegal business operating on the fringe or not paying

taxes as anyone in any country turning up with large amounts of US cash to explain to there governments how they

came into possession of this cash.

If I was putting fake notes in circulation I wouldn't do it from a fixed address...

There is lots of things I would not do and lot of people do it anyway, globally.

Seems strange that someone is willing to accept counterfeit note without any hassle!?

Would You give someone 100 €, next day, against "tissue" without argument??

There is lots of things I would not do and lot of people do it anyway, globally.

Seems strange that someone is willing to accept counterfeit note without any hassle!?

Would You give someone 100 €, next day, against "tissue" without argument??