Smoking everywhere

Fabulousheart

When ever I eat out, I always ask if it's a non-smoking place. If they tell me people smoke inside, then I move on to another place.

I have no desire to have a nice meal spoiled by the stench of second-hand smoke.

The majority of my colleagues who smoked died of various cancers before I retired, and 10 years on, it's my wretched knees giving up - not my lungs or liver!

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love smoking !!!

I think there are tons of places one can go/eat that are smoke free.

My older brother didn't start smoking until he was 45 and came to Thailand. It is quite a social thing here really.

I would agree that if I was a non-smoker how it would be offensive and I also agree that non-smokers shouldn't have to inhale it but what can one do?

Maybe you can visit Canada where you would be lucky to find a place to smoke these days. Great for the non-smokers but for us addicts having to smoke out in

-57 temperatures is also not so funny.

Are there two Pattayas in Thailand ? Where the one you live in has " tons of smoke free places " This whole town is full of second hand smoke , inside and outside.

Forget about the bars and clubs. As the OP stated even the beach is polluted. Thats all the Thai males do all day there. Then all the Euros and Russinans are heavy smokers.

And these Korean males: Thats all they do is smoke cigaretts inside and outside restaurants. And some other poster said second hand smoke outside is not a problem ?

Not a problem for a smoker. Also its obvious smoking does more than degrade physically: I have observed some of these white foreign males visitors walking around in a daze.

They stop on the sidewalk, light up, and then stare at a chair or cardboard box for 5 minutes while smoking.

I have observed some of these white foreign males visitors walking around in a daze.

They stop on the sidewalk, light up, and then stare at a chair or cardboard box for 5 minutes while smoking.

Well, it just makes staring at a chair or cardboard box so much more pleasant.

In the UK just like the US, Canada, Australia and the rest of the Western World the anti smoking campaign has been relentless in recent years.

British workers are living longer partially due to this reason and the advances that have been made in medical technology and medication. They are now being told that they must work longer and that they will no longer be entitled to draw the state pensions they have paid for until they reach 70 years of age. Mind you that only applies if these elderly folk still have a job and no one knows how many unemployed there are in the country nor in fact do they know what the UK's population actually is.

Young folk and hard working immigrants are therefore being deprived of employment by this policy. The country is overcrowded, transport is inadequate, the health service is failing and schools lack the resources to teach immigrant children to learn English. There are now more people sleeping on the streets than at any time in living memory. Housing is acutely short and only the very wealthy can afford to buy properties in many areas and cities especially London. Poor Roma gypsies are being forced to live rough in Park Lane, what was once one of the most prosperous streets in the Commonwealth or in fact the world.

Care homes for the elderly are big business and it has been made law in England that all elderly people must sell any property they own to pay for their care if and when they need it. Most hospital beds are occupied by the elderly and billions of pounds are spent on their 'home from hospital' care. The tax revenue from cigarettes is vanishing so govt coffers are nowadays much lighter and have to be replenished by new and stealth taxes. Look how VAT has increased since its inception!

People are now living into their 70s 80s,90s and there are now more centenerians than at any time in the nation's history. These old folk are a burden on society but what do our politicians do, they outlaw smoking so that people will live even longer! This will eventually prove catastrophic.

Smoking should be encouraged in schools and in the work place and possibly even made compulsory. Public buildings should permit smoking and admittance to public houses denied to non smokers. The elderly should be given free cigarettes and tobacco preferably of the stronger variety. Hospital patients should get free cigarettes and urged to smoke in the wards. Non smokers should be made to stand at the back in cinemas and theatres.

Workers should be paid a bonus for lighting up while working and occupational advancement linked to the number of cigarettes smoked by each individual. It should be regarded as patriotic to smoke and non smokers looked down upon with scorn and derision if not as downright traitorous. TV and films should portray heroes as smokers and the villains as non smokers. One in five of every advertisement should be for cigarettes or tobacco, a quota that should be rigidly enforced.

As usual the politicians have got it all wrong when it comes to smoking just like they have with everything else!

Unless we change our attitude to smoking the UK will vanish into the abyss into which it is sinking a lot quicker than it will do otherwise.

• Like 1

xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.NCM_cuQwiS.webp Taxes more and more taxes just tax the <deleted> out of tobacco products thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif that could help pay for all the health and medical cost as well as all the funerals xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.Fhb0_rLJqX.webp just a thought..coffee1.gif

They've already thought of that. Over 80% on tobacco products is tax which has resulted in people either packing up or buying contraband fags and tobacco. My late lamented uncle grew his own pipe tobacco in a greenhouse and never bought an ounce of tobacco for forty years. People are already growing canabis plants so it's quite likely some are also doing what my uncle did.

But never the less the war being waged on smoking is gradually being won but at the expense of an increasing population of elderly citizens who will require increasing levels of care and who will also be claiming significant funds from the GNP in the way of pensions. In spite of warnings from the govt that there will be no money for pensions in the decades to come young people either won't or can't put money aside for their retirement. Most can't afford to leave Mum and Dad and get a place of their own, let alone take out pensions and many can't even get a job at all let alone a decent paying one.

Increasing levels of unselective immigration and the influx of millions of unskilled third world immigrants who can barely speak English is only making things even worse.

• Like 1

I'm all for letting people smoke. If they want to kill themselves and waste money it's there problem. What about letting me breath fresh clean air? Pattaya is loaded with unhealthy people killing themselves it's amazing really. It's like they want everyone else to get sick and die too!

xshock1.gif.pagespeed.ic.NCM_cuQwiS.webp Taxes more and more taxes just tax the <deleted> out of tobacco products thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif that could help pay for all the health and medical cost as well as all the funerals xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.Fhb0_rLJqX.webp just a thought..coffee1.gif

They've already thought of that. Over 80% on tobacco products is tax which has resulted in people either packing up or buying contraband fags and tobacco. My late lamented uncle grew his own pipe tobacco in a greenhouse and never bought an ounce of tobacco for forty years. People are already growing canabis plants so it's quite likely some are also doing what my uncle did.

But never the less the war being waged on smoking is gradually being won but at the expense of an increasing population of elderly citizens who will require increasing levels of care and who will also be claiming significant funds from the GNP in the way of pensions. In spite of warnings from the govt that there will be no money for pensions in the decades to come young people either won't or can't put money aside for their retirement. Most can't afford to leave Mum and Dad and get a place of their own, let alone take out pensions and many can't even get a job at all let alone a decent paying one.

Increasing levels of unselective immigration and the influx of millions of unskilled third world immigrants who can barely speak English is only making things even worse.

The health costs of a smoking population before should be subtracted from the cost of caring for extended elderlies. Also a countries GDP will go up as well as tax revenues when there are less smokers. It is fact that smokers are less efficient workers independent of whether there is smoking in workplace.

edit: I think you have really under considered the overall cost to a nation , health, GDP . That the load a heavey smoking population causes on that nation.

Edited by morrobay

The health costs of a smoking population before should be subtracted from the cost of caring for extended elderlies. Also a countries GDP will go up as well as tax revenues when there are less smokers. It is fact that smokers are less efficient workers independent of whether there is smoking in workplace.

edit: I think you have really under considered the overall cost to a nation , health, GDP . That the load a heavey smoking population causes on that nation.

. 'It is fact that smokers are less efficient workers independent of whether there is smoking in workplace.'

When did you make that one up.

The UK was a leading industrial nation when smoking was permitted in the workplace and the words 'Made in Britain' was widely regarded as a hallmark of quality. Before affordable cigarettes came along the majority of British working men constantly smoked a clay pipe.

We now manufacture very little of any consequence and that has coincided with the banning of smoking in the workplace. It's rather obvious that if someone has to leave their work premises for a smoke they can't be working at the same time.

Edited by yogi100

Yes, good idea, tax the hell out of them (make them pay for the damage they are doing to themselves and society). And fine them for violating public health laws. And start building guillateens (sp) and select one of them each week. Put the act on TV. :)

Yup, I agree public execution of smokers should begin tomorrow. You say select one of the them every week? With this kind of soft touch we're not gonna get anywhere. Daily mass hangings using the new light posts on Beach rd, I would say one poll could carry 5 hanging noose each.

And why stop at smokers!? I want to incl all the people I dont like!

• Like 1

I'm all for letting people smoke. If they want to kill themselves and waste money it's there problem. What about letting me breath fresh clean air? Pattaya is loaded with unhealthy people killing themselves it's amazing really. It's like they want everyone else to get sick and die too!

Smokers have the least to do with air quality in Pattaya, never mind Bangkok.

I think if they want to enforce something they should enforce the laws against prostitution. That is certainly harming a lot more people and society in general than second-hand smoke.

Why not tax non-smokers to offset the cost of enforcing the no smoking laws?

. 'It is fact that smokers are less efficient workers independent of whether there is smoking in workplace.'

When did you make that one up.

The UK was a leading industrial nation when smoking was permitted in the workplace and the words 'Made in Britain' was widely regarded as a hallmark of quality. Before affordable cigarettes came along the majority of British working men constantly smoked a clay pipe.

We now manufacture very little of any consequence and that has coincided with the banning of smoking in the workplace. It's rather obvious that if someone has to leave their work premises for a smoke they can't be working at the same time.

Do a search for: Studies show smokers are less productive workers. There is a whole page on this subject.

The problem is that their problem is our problem.

Yes, good idea, tax the hell out of them (make them pay for the damage they are doing to themselves and society). And fine them for violating public health laws. And start building guillateens (sp) and select one of them each week. Put the act on TV. smile.png

Yup, I agree public execution of smokers should begin tomorrow. You say select one of the them every week? With this kind of soft touch we're not gonna get anywhere. Daily mass hangings using the new light posts on Beach rd, I would say one poll could carry 5 hanging noose each.

Of course (I think) you know that I was joking. But that would be good entertainment (joking again). One does wonder what punishment should be inflected on people who smoke and actually kill other people with their fumes. If I killed another person, I would likely go to jail (in USA executed). I don't think smokers bring to the forefront of their conciousness what they are "potentially" doing to other people who do not smoke. We, the non-smokers, do not "fuc$%#g" want to inhale their cancerous-inducing fumes. I also think smokers are in a boat called "denial," and/or have little concern about their health. I know nicotine is a powerful narcotic that leads to addiction (odd that is is legal). Still, "addiction" is a poor excuse for the costs to society (in terms of health and deaths) that smokers are causing, which is far greater than the costs to society of all "illegal drugs" combined.

• Like 1

Yes, good idea, tax the hell out of them (make them pay for the damage they are doing to themselves and society). And fine them for violating public health laws. And start building guillateens (sp) and select one of them each week. Put the act on TV. smile.png

Of course (I think) you know that I was joking. But that would be good entertainment (joking again). One does wonder what punishment should be inflected on people who smoke and actually kill other people with their fumes. If I killed another person, I would likely go to jail (in USA executed). I don't think smokers bring to the forefront of their conciousness what they are "potentially" doing to other people who do not smoke. We, the non-smokers, do not "fuc$%#g" want to inhale their cancerous-inducing fumes. I also think smokers are in a boat called "denial," and/or have little concern about their health. I know nicotine is a powerful narcotic that leads to addiction (odd that is is legal). Still, "addiction" is a poor excuse for the costs to society (in terms of health and deaths) that smokers are causing, which is far greater than the costs to society of all "illegal drugs" combined.

Then why not petition the government to outlaw smoking completely?

I can’t speak to Thailand, but in the US, smokers actually cost taxpayers less than non-smokers, plus additional revenue is generated selling cigarettes. Financially, smoking is good for everyone.

I love to hear all the whiners piss and moaning about second-hand smoke.

I've heard it all now.

What does smoking cost the country in terms of loss of productivity and healthcare due to smoking-related illness? How many man-hours are wasted picking up your butts from the streets?

Financially, good for no one but the ciggie companies and the politicians whose pockets they line.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Then why not petition the government to outlaw smoking completely?

I can’t speak to Thailand, but in the US, smokers actually cost taxpayers less than non-smokers, plus additional revenue is generated selling cigarettes. Financially, smoking is good for everyone.

I love to hear all the whiners piss and moaning about second-hand smoke.

Many people in US live on junk food. Many people drink liters if soft drinks, full of corn syrup.

Coronary illnesses is often linked to crap people eat, and lately there have been articles in medical journals saying sugar intake seems much more destructive than previous thought.

I dont believe smokers are costing the most for tax payers. Hospital care of elderly is main burden.

Anuways, US spends the most on health care in of Western nations, but it is far from best health care.

US needs to move to single payer health care, like most of West. In US health care is a business, not care.

I took up electronic cigarettes a few months ago - replaced "smoking" with "vaping." Zero (or minimal) carcinogens; no smoker's cough; no staining of hands or teeth; zero (or negligible) smells to disturb others; no inclination or desire to smoke a conventional cigarette; significant saving of money. Provided that I remember to carry my supply of nicotine juice and a spare charged battery, I am a happy former smoker. The Missus has taken it up as well, but still carries a pack of Sai Fon as a precaution against having no viable e-cig on hand. Lots of interest from Thai friends in the village but, strangely, none of them has indicated any intention to follow our lead, possibly because of the cost of a starter kit - approximately 1,500 baht.

• Like 2

Congratulations on making the change to an "electronic cigarettes.

For those who are interested in the cost to "American society" from smoking, this is from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/ ) Note the number of non-smokers who die in the USA from breathing second-hand smoke:

Morbidity and Mortality

Tobacco use leads to disease and disability.

• Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, and lung diseases (including emphysema, bronchitis, and chronic airway obstruction).1,2
  • For every person who dies from a smoking-related disease, 20 more people suffer with at least one serious illness from smoking.3

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death.

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.4
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., more than 440,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).1,2
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.5

Costs and Expenditures

The cigarette industry spends billions each year on advertising and promotions.6

• $8.37 billion total spent in 2011
  • Almost $23 million spent every day in 2011

Tobacco use costs the United States billions of dollars each year.

• In 2000–2004, cigarette smoking cost more than $193 billion (i.e., $97 billion in lost productivity plus $96 billion in health care expenditures).1
  • Information published in 2005 documented that secondhand smoke costs more than $10 billion (i.e., health care expenditures, morbidity, and mortality).7

State spending on tobacco control does not meet CDC-recommended levels.8,9

• Collectively, states have billions of dollars available to them—from tobacco excise taxes and tobacco industry legal settlements—for preventing and controlling tobacco use. States currently use a very small percentage of these funds for tobacco control programs.
  • In 2013, states will collect $25.7 billion from tobacco taxes and legal settlements, but states will spend only 1.8% of the $25.7 billion on prevention and cessation programs.
  • Investing less than 15% (i.e., $3.7 billion) of the $25.7 billion would fund every state tobacco control program at CDC-recommended levels.
  • Like 1

Congratulations on making the change to an "electronic cigarettes.

For those who are interested in the cost to "American society" from smoking, this is from the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/ ) Note the number of non-smokers who die in the USA from breathing second-hand smoke:

Morbidity and Mortality

Tobacco use leads to disease and disability.

• Smoking causes cancer, heart disease, stroke, and lung diseases (including emphysema, bronchitis, and chronic airway obstruction).1,2
  • For every person who dies from a smoking-related disease, 20 more people suffer with at least one serious illness from smoking.3

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death.

• Worldwide, tobacco use causes more than 5 million deaths per year, and current trends show that tobacco use will cause more than 8 million deaths annually by 2030.4
  • Cigarette smoking is responsible for about one in five deaths annually (i.e., more than 440,000 deaths per year, and an estimated 49,000 of these smoking-related deaths are the result of secondhand smoke exposure).1,2
  • On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.5

Costs and Expenditures

The cigarette industry spends billions each year on advertising and promotions.6

• $8.37 billion total spent in 2011
  • Almost $23 million spent every day in 2011

Tobacco use costs the United States billions of dollars each year.

• In 2000–2004, cigarette smoking cost more than $193 billion (i.e., $97 billion in lost productivity plus $96 billion in health care expenditures).1
  • Information published in 2005 documented that secondhand smoke costs more than $10 billion (i.e., health care expenditures, morbidity, and mortality).7

State spending on tobacco control does not meet CDC-recommended levels.8,9

• Collectively, states have billions of dollars available to them—from tobacco excise taxes and tobacco industry legal settlements—for preventing and controlling tobacco use. States currently use a very small percentage of these funds for tobacco control programs.
  • In 2013, states will collect $25.7 billion from tobacco taxes and legal settlements, but states will spend only 1.8% of the $25.7 billion on prevention and cessation programs.
  • Investing less than 15% (i.e., $3.7 billion) of the $25.7 billion would fund every state tobacco control program at CDC-recommended levels.

So again, why not petition the government to outlaw smoking completely?

Do you really believe what the US government tells you?

No, not everything, but the data come from a vast amount of research done by scientists worldwide. On petitioning the government to make all smoking illegal, I am not sure if that would work, but I do think cigarettes should be illegal, especially given that they are far more costly to society (in terms of dollars and deaths) than all of the "illegal" drugs combined. Our entire approach to "illegal drugs" is "wako." If society is concerned about the social cost to society of a drug, cigarettes w/ nicotine should be at the top of the list of drugs that the government should consider banning (alcohol would be second on the list, but that was done before and not w/ a good result). We do not use logic when making laws that center on "legal and illegal drugs." What political decison-makers can do is tax smokers to "death" along with the global conglomerates that produce and sell cigarettes. Or, we can skip the part about taxing them and think about a game show that involves ropes, trees and smokers who refuse to stop blowing smoke in the faces of non-smokers :)

• Like 1

No, not everything, but the data come from a vast amount of research done by scientists worldwide.

No, if took the time to peruse the bibliography you would see the data are most all from the CDC or other US government agencies.

No, not everything, but the data come from a vast amount of research done by scientists worldwide.

No, if took the time to peruse the bibliography you would see the data are most all from the CDC or other US government agencies.

Tinfoil hat time?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

So again, why not petition the government to outlaw smoking completely?

Smoking will become illegal, it is a matter of time only.

I'm surprised some Scandinavian country hasn't made it illegal already.

My guess is Sweden will be first country in the world to make it illegal.

Of course we all know how well banning something works!

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app