What's wrong with air in PTT

SamSpades

I arrived just last week after a year off Thailand, cant understand what has happened to air

in Pattaya?

In Jomtien there's a constant haze (especially at night). I would assume that stupid farmers

burn their hay, but it smells more "industrial", like a coal-fired power plant or oil refinery

in Rayong?

The petroleum smell has been occurring for many weeks.... noticeable mainly at night .....it seems to come from the Laem Chabang direction....

We also get affected by "charcoal" producers.....especially noticeable when there is little wind to clear it

And ...of course...the Thai pass-time of burning their garbage....including plastic...sending clouds of toxic fumes everywhere.....Bless them

I guess that the fireworks have an affect....but the problems are short-lived

I expect that Thailand will come to terms with their "pollution problem" in time....but not until the "old guard" has passed on and the younger generation move into the "driving seat".....

Any prolonged period without rain will exacerbate any of the prevailing air pollution issues including the ones highlighted by posters on this thread. I am clearing snot at a much higher rate than in the rainy season.

It's true. I'm in a condo on Sukhumvit near Pattaya klang and have a view of the north East & West and as I type there is a haze and yes more noticeable at the evening time. Not sure what it is but have never seen it like this before.

There shoudl be a FAQ on this. I explain it again2 Its not just local ie, the traffic and all the cigarette smokers. In the winter months the winds and major air movements are from over all the land masses to the North. Thats all the dust and pollution from those land masses like China. In the summer months the prevailing winds are from the clear air over the Andaman Sea .Also it rains in that part of the year.

Edited by morrobay

There shoudl be a FAQ on this. I explain it again2 Its not just local ie, the traffic and all the cigarette smokers. In the winter months the winds and major air movements are from over all the land masses to the North. Thats all the dust and pollution from those land masses like China. In the summer months the prevailing winds are from the clear air over the Andaman Sea .Also it rains in that part of the year.

If that was true then it would happen during every "winter month" but I have never seen it before.

Smokers........55555555555......give me a break lol

• Like 1

One word - Coaches

OK - cars as well, but mainly coaches - ban all coaches.

Pattaya was never perfect but was OK. Recently (last four years) The move from people travelling by motorbike to cars has taken its toll. But, the real problem is the coaches and what comes out of them. The growth in coaches in Pattaya is unbeleivable. When I went to phuket, it was noticable to see small mini-busses rather than loads of coaches and the air was better. I know mini-busses are not a great option as their drivers think the roads are formula one tracks, but it is a far better option than what we have at the moment. Park all the coaches on the Sukhamvik and let them get minibusses into town.

I have to wipe the dust off my motorbike - a daily ritual. We are breathing all that in!

If you travel about a bit, some areas you can go to will have better air, especially if you cross the sukhamvik and go out a bit.

A tip for breathing easier, you can buy menthol vapour pots, a little under each nostril clears the dust you are continually breathing-in.

I would like to blame all the buses, cars, charcoal burners, garbage burning, but I really think its just the weather pattern we are experiencing now. With the cold air, comes the misty air, not thick enough to be called fog, but its still natural. If you smell something else, then that is just something extra.

• Like 2

I would like to blame all the buses, cars, charcoal burners, garbage burning, but I really think its just the weather pattern we are experiencing now. With the cold air, comes the misty air, not thick enough to be called fog, but its still natural. If you smell something else, then that is just something extra.

Fakename.......you sound like a politician......biggrin.png

It's that time of year again and they are burning the fields. We had a huge burn here yesterday by the Ambassador. Prevailing winds push it towards Pattaya. I could barely see the Ambassador from 1km away. It was horrible. Had to close all the windows in the house.

It's illegal, but the fire department does squat and we won't even talk about the police.

If that was true then it would happen during every "winter month" but I have never seen it before.

Smokers........55555555555......give me a break lol

In the winter months the prevailing winds are from the North. In general there is pollution in the winter months for the above reason. Of course if the winds change direction temporarily then the air will clear up for awhile. . Do you think it is a coincidece that in the same period here, the last two weeks, when the temperatures dropped because cold air from China moved South into Thailand. That there was also a corresponding increase in pollution here ?

Edited by morrobay

Of course it must be those stupid farmers again same farmers that supply Thailand's daily bread?????????????? for a pittance and 10/12 hours graft

Actually, a good part of it here in NaJomtien is people clearing land for construction. I've seen some massive blazes for this. But yes, a majority is the farmers. All over Asia.

I was always under the impression that the burnings are not ilegal (most of them) and that there is a window of days/weeks in different areas of Thailand when the farmers etc. CAN burn legally no?

I was always under the impression that the burnings are not ilegal (most of them) and that there is a window of days/weeks in different areas of Thailand when the farmers etc. CAN burn legally no?

I think you are right, but the rules are never obeyed nor enforced. They just burn at will....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/538614-thai-pm-yingluck-warns-governors-to-act-on-haze/

There are laws forbidding burning fields and the fire brigade hate it and will respond.

Here they are in my car port hosing down the black burnt grass after the fields outside were set on fire.

post-22250-0-17253400-1388818451_thumb.j

• Like 1

The petroleum smell has been occurring for many weeks.... noticeable mainly at night .....it seems to come from the Laem Chabang direction....

They burn the flare off at night so people can't see the black smoke.

Google: temperature inversion It is major contributing cause of not only Pats poor visibility but also throughout India & the much of the rest of SE Asia at this time of year. It starts every year around Dec lasting until around rainy season in April, with intermittent good visibility days.

Usually associated with subtropical high pressure areas.

Seldom happens rest of year due to low pressure weather pattern allowing trapped lower air particles to lift & not be trapped by upper air. Next time you fly somewhere during daylight look out the planes window this time of year. About 500 meters up the sky turns clear.

2nd factor is of course pollution. Walk up to top of Buddha hill most months of the year & look towards Sukhumvit. Unless windy, a long hovering trail of vehicle pollution follows Hwy 3 (Sukhumvit) from Bang Lamung down towards Jomtien.

Would also agree with others that the foul smells could originate at refineries.

A Thai doctor told me this time of year many local people throughout Thailand get respiratory difficulties due to burning of trash/grass & mold spores being released.wai2.gif

• Like 1