Korean, Chinese tourists nearly disappear; Russians drop 20% amid Bangkok protests: TAT

Rimmer

Korean, Chinese tourists nearly disappear; Russians drop 20% amid Bangkok protests: TAT
PATTAYA:--Hong Kong and South Korean tourists have nearly disappeared from Pattaya while Russian arrivals are down 20 percent due to protracted anti-government protests in Bangkok, the Tourism Authority of Thailand said.

Speaking at the Pattaya Business & Tourism Association’s Dec. 18 meeting at the Grand Sole Hotel, TAT Pattaya Director Auttaphol Wannakijsaid the organization has abandoned projections that 4-5 million Chinese would visit Thailand this year in the face of protests that have persisted despite the dissolution of Parliament and plans for new elections.
- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/korean-chinese-tourists-nearly-disappear-russians-drop-20-amid-bangkok-protests-tat-33617#sthash.Kvq4ABhN.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-01-03 footer_n.gif

nothing or little to do with BKK protests

Tourists are not coming to Pattaya for other reasons and we all mostly know what they are

We have seen in recent years an increase in tourists from China etc but these are mostly first time visitors - the problem with tourists is getting them to become 2nd time visitors or provide a good enough experience were they don't go home and tell their friends and families - online forums etc that it was a dump and they would never step foot in the place again, I could post a long list of reasons why first time visitors would not return here but I won't

Here is the question I would ask myself having been here for nearly 10 years - would I recommend Pattaya as a holiday destination to all of my friends from back home who are seeking a normal type 3 week package holiday to relax and enjoy with wives and families - I would definitely not

Greed and crime have taken over this city amongst many other things that are wrong and not getting any better

• Like 2

I live between two hotels in a condo, up high, so I can see what goes on at each hotel. One hotel caters to Russian tourists; the other caters to Chinese tourists. Two months ago both were full of tourists. And you could see large buses coming and going. Now, no buses at all. Dead. I think some of this has to do with what is happening in Bangkok, but a lot of it has to do with filthy beaches that are overcrowded with drunks and Thais, coupled with the enormous rise in noise pollution that takes place during the high season. People don't particularly like to visit a beach that does not look anything like the "advertisements." And they don't like being unable to sleep because of the boom trucks, kareoke shit, and fireworks. It is a shame that the police are doing nothing about noise pollution. It is also unfortunate that Thais seem to think like this: 1) no customers, so add music; 2) still no customers, so turn up the volume; 3) still not enough customers, so turn it up even more, etc. It never occurs to them that they are running customers away, and running tourists away from hotels. One would think that the owners of hotels and condos would put a stop to the noise pollution, but TIT.

• Like 2

It is a shame that the police are doing nothing about noise pollution. It is also unfortunate that Thais seem to think like this: 1) no customers, so add music; 2) still no customers, so turn up the volume; 3) still not enough customers, so turn it up even more, etc. It never occurs to them that they are running customers away, and running tourists away from hotels. One would think that the owners of hotels and condos would put a stop to the noise pollution, but TIT.

Most SEAsians actually like noise and feel uneasy in quiet places. So it's quite difficult to get them to see things otherwise.

They also tend to like living on top of one another and sleeping many to a room, all of which are anathema to me.

The bahtbuses to/from Jomtien/Pattaya seem just as full this year as last, at peak evening times anyway.

Even that red 20B city bus that usually goes around completely empty was full to overflowing the other evening, with Russians hanging off the door frame.

nothing or little to do with BKK protests

Everything to do with the Bangkok protests. I was down in Pattaya this morning and I was genuinely shocked by how deserted it was. In seven years here I've never seen it that quiet. Asian tourists are particularly sensitive to images of rioting on TV and can easily take their business elsewhere.

• Like 1

I use the sports centre at my local 4 star hotel, I have done so for 5 years now. I usually go there in the morning, exercise and then sit around the pool for an hour. The pool is quite large and has room for up to 80 sunbeds. At this time of the year these sunbeds are usually full.

Not only this week, but even over the Christmas/ New Year period there were just a handful of people sunbathing. Very quiet.

I usually have trouble parking as there are often coaches blocking the entrance to the car park, reversing up and down to let other coaches pass - you know what it can get like outside a busy hotel with just a small road as access. This year I have hardly seen any coaches and I have parked with no problems at all.

The hotel staff around the pool look bored to tears!

Last year, as in previous years, the hotel guests were mostly Russian(last year 80 percent) and Korean. Very few Europeans.

In fact, since I first went down there 5 years ago, it has become more 'Russianified' each year - until this year that is.

One of the girls who hands out the towels came and talked to us yesterday. I asked her if the hotel was as empty as it seemed. She said there were very few tourists this year.

When I asked her why she thought there were so few tourists, she said it may be because the hotel is so expensive.

I asked if the prices had gone up a lot recently or were a lot more expensive than last year when the hotel was full - she said no - errr hmmm... Thai logic at work there I thinkblink.png

So hardly conclusive proof confirming this thread, but certainly fits the pattern.

Edited by dsfbrit

I use the sports centre at my local 4 star hotel, I have done so for 5 years now. I usually go there in the morning, exercise and then sit around the pool for an hour. The pool is quite large and has room for up to 80 sunbeds. At this time of the year these sunbeds are usually full.

Not only this week, but even over the Christmas/ New Year period there were just a handful of people sunbathing. Very quiet.

I usually have trouble parking as there are often coaches blocking the entrance to the car park, reversing up and down to let other coaches pass - you know what it can get like outside a busy hotel with just a small road as access. This year I have hardly seen any coaches and I have parked with no problems at all.

The hotel staff around the pool look bored to tears!

Last year, as in previous years, the hotel guests were mostly Russian(last year 80 percent) and Korean. Very few Europeans.

In fact, since I first went down there 5 years ago, it has become more 'Russianified' each year - until this year that is.

One of the girls who hands out the towels came and talked to us yesterday. I asked her if the hotel was as empty as it seemed. She said there were very few tourists this year.

When I asked her why she thought there were so few tourists, she said it may be because the hotel is so expensive.

I asked if the prices had gone up a lot recently or were a lot more expensive than last year when the hotel was full - she said no - errr hmmm... Thai logic at work there I think:blink:

So hardly conclusive proof confirming this thread, but certainly fits the pattern.

speaking to a friend who is in the hotel industry say that a lot of hotels have lost big numbers in cancellations, which hotel are you talking about dsfbrit?

And this 20% decrease is not going to be just a one offf. These vacationers are going to go elsewhere instead, like to the seaside resorts on the Central Vietnam coast. Then they may choose that country next time too.

Edited by morrobay

I asked if the prices had gone up a lot recently or were a lot more expensive than last year when the hotel was full - she said no - errr hmmm... Thai logic at work there I think

Maybe the prices in other places (or countries) have gone down, thus making that place much less competitive?

And this 20% decrease is not going to be just a one offf. These vacationers are going to go elsewhere instead, like to the seaside resorts on the Central Vietnam coast. Then they may choose that country next time too.

Suits me fine.

• Like 1