immigration not issuing residency certificates

pmf113b

Last week went to immigration Chaing Mai for the usual 500 baht residency form and they said they do not do

them anymore but pointed to a office around the back which said free forms for only renewal of passport

I wanted to renew for my car and bike licence and they told me to go to the consulate

next day went to the consulate to be informed it was 2,950 baht and I wasn't too pleased

I had no option to pay and went to register my licence and they could not believe the price

Is this the norm now all over Thailand or just Chiang Mai

I wanted to be legal over here but think it is a lot to pay when the licence is only 100 baht

I am on a two entry tourist visa

Thanks happy new year

• Like 1

I went to CM Immigration not even two weeks ago and obtained a residency certificate to register the Honda Wave I just bought. Service was 100% free.

I have an Ed Visa.

I did the same in Hua Hin about 4 weeks ago with my Ed Visa. The difference being an Education Visa is very different to a Tourist Visa.

Ed Visas are 'Non Immigrant' visas and enable you to get the certificate of residence whereas a tourist visa isn't a 'Non Immigrant' visa so it doesn't qualify.

I am interested to hear that the equivalent to a certificate of residence for a driving license is available from the consulate, the alternative is no certificate at all which means no driving license so this is good to know.

Edited by ukrules

Sorry you say you want to be legal here, but use Tourist visas to stay, that is not legal.

Of course it's legal to stay on multiple Tourist visas or even successive 30 day entry stamps because the Thai government choose to allow it.

I know a few people who come here on holiday every two months for a month. There's 1000's of them living in Thailand - offshore oil workers. They work hard for 1 month, then get a month off. These people have good jobs, earn plenty of money and choose to spend it in Thailand.

• Like 1

Sorry you say you want to be legal here, but use Tourist visas to stay, that is not legal.

Of course it's legal to stay on multiple Tourist visas or even successive 30 day entry stamps because the Thai government choose to allow it.

I know a few people who come here on holiday every two months for a month. There's 1000's of them living in Thailand - offshore oil workers. They work hard for 1 month, then get a month off. These people have good jobs, earn plenty of money and choose to spend it in Thailand.

Tourist means on holiday not living here.

• Like 1

Hi

Thanks for the replys

I just thought 3000 bhats for a 100 bhat driving licence was excessive , i dont mind paying 500 bhat like last year at immigration

but i think its not in proportion

If i was buying a condo worth 3 million i would not mind

I am here for 6 months and own the vehicles and i want to be legal

apparently its ok paying the police if you have no licence but in the case of an accident the insurance company would not approve

Any way be Happy and safe out there

Immigration will not issue residence certificates for the forever tourists, because these people are considered as holiday makers and not residents.

I am quite surprised that the consulate issued a no questions asked residence certificate to someone who is officially a tourist.

• Like 1

I went to CM Immigration not even two weeks ago and obtained a residency certificate to register the Honda Wave I just bought. Service was 100% free.

I have an Ed Visa.

Have to pay for them in Pattaya so good on you CM!

Even made me get and pay for 2 (one for each driving licence), when one would have sufficed, very kind of them.

I agree, the 'standard' letter from the consulate or embassy is a ridiculous price at 2,950. Just a thought, would a certification letter from a public notary lawyer suffice?

I had to use one to confirm my status for my UK Army pension, and couldn't find a suitable person to sign. On the form it said a public notary was OK. Cost me 1,000 baht.

That is certainly cheaper than the consulate. Possible alternative?

I wanted to be legal over here but think it is a lot to pay when the licence is only 100 baht

As Beano2274 said - if you LIVE here on a tourist visa, that's NOT legal. If you only VISIT here, then you can't get a residency certificate as you do not reside here. And as a visitor to Thailand, you don't need to have local driver license. you can drive with an international license issued at your own country, or the country where you LEGALLY reside :)

and ukrules - those who work hard 1 month and get a month off and stay here - in a way it is a twist of the tourist visa. If they'd try to "rest" on a regular basis in any stricter country they'd have to apply for a different type of visa

I stay in Lad Krabang which is closer to Immi Samut Prakan (30 Min), but I ve to go to Chaengwattana (95 Min) for whatever I need. Soon I'll move back to Samut Prakan because the office is much better organized.

Anyhow I ask in Chaengwattana cor a residency certification last friday. I filled yhe form, pai 100 thb and will receive the letter by post wiyhin the next three weeks. The letter is valid four weks. If I lucky, I'll receive it and can use it for one or two weeks.

In Samut Prakan and even before on Phuket I went in, filled the paper, gave it yo the officer, paid 500 and got the stamped letter back.

It could be very easy here in Thailand, if yhe processes where defined and used at every place in the same manner. But we all know the litle kings which want have the power over the foreign slaves.

Of course after all ws fone I askd yhe officer why they have to send the letter to my address. Thecanseer was, to prove yhe address ... which makes sense. But as I asked to extend the validity for the paper with the three weeks delivery time ... you want the paper or not. Back to the roots. Remember you are my dlave ... be quiet.

There are many things about Chaengwattana I not like ... but let me ask you all.

Which is the most friendly and effective, pro foreigner immigration in thailand?

You can be sure ... I will go and stay there ... check out how it is ...

Just ihnore the mistake and try to understand what I wrote. Thanks

Immigration will not issue residence certificates for the forever tourists, because these people are considered as holiday makers and not residents.

I am quite surprised that the consulate issued a no questions asked residence certificate to someone who is officially a tourist.

As Beano2274 said - if you LIVE here on a tourist visa, that's NOT legal. If you only VISIT here, then you can't get a residency certificate as you do not reside here. And as a visitor to Thailand, you don't need to have local driver license. you can drive with an international license issued at your own country, or the country where you LEGALLY reside smile.png

and ukrules - those who work hard 1 month and get a month off and stay here - in a way it is a twist of the tourist visa. If they'd try to "rest" on a regular basis in any stricter country they'd have to apply for a different type of visa

Just to be clear you can get a residency cert at Chonburi (Pattaya) immigration for the purposes of getting driving licences on only a Visa waiver - I have done so for the last three years. So it is definitely possible on a tourist visa but probably depends on your local immigration office. smile.png

• Like 1

I know that for some it is the only way to stay in Thailand, but if someone did the same in your country you would be up in arms, with the old kick em out saying.

In my country tourists can own anything a local can, and need no permit to do so.

Edit: No guns for tourists.

Edited by BudRight

I believe you can obtain an international drivers license,good for one year,call this number--081-882-6694 or 053-301-163.Cheers

It is NOT an International Driving Licence it is an "INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT".

I got caught out with this before.

BT

I believe you can obtain an international drivers license,good for one year,call this number--081-882-6694 or 053-301-163.Cheers

It is NOT an International Driving Licence it is an "INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT".

I got caught out with this before.

BT

What happened when you showed it to them?

I'm currently using an IDP, and it says it's accepted in Thailand so long as I can present a driving license from my home country.

• Like 1

The OP went into the main door for immigration and they correctly told him that they don't do them there, you have to go around the back of the building to apply for a certificate of residence. I got one there last month. I think the OP was just confused by the directions given.

The most recent reports for CM indicate that they are giving them now but wasn't the case several weeks ago. My guess, as a member pointed out, is the tourist visa. Either that or a communication issue.

Agreed. If it were me, I would say thanks, wait a few days and go directly to the little office in the rear that issues the Residence Letter. Don't forget to smile and make some points by speaking some Thai, even if its only Sawasdee krab!

• Like 1

I just thought 3000 bhats for a 100 bhat driving licence was excessive , i dont mind paying 500 bhat like last year at immigration

The payment was for a "statutory declaration" which generates a fee set by your Govt. The charge applies worldwide regardless of use.

I am here for 6 months and own the vehicles and i want to be legal

Why not purchase an IDP (Int Drivers Permit) to support your home licence? They're around GBP 5.50 from provincial post offices or online from AA/RAC & valid for a year.

Edited by evadgib

I agree, the 'standard' letter from the consulate or embassy is a ridiculous price at 2,950. Just a thought, would a certification letter from a public notary lawyer suffice?

I had to use one to confirm my status for my UK Army pension, and couldn't find a suitable person to sign. On the form it said a public notary was OK. Cost me 1,000 baht.

That is certainly cheaper than the consulate. Possible alternative?

Any suitable person can sign those; explained on the list that came with it.

The Embassy / Consulate will sign free of charge if the organisation seeking verification (in your case the MOD) are part of the British Govt.

Edited by evadgib

certificate of residency is free, Immigration has to give to all persons who have a valid non O Visa!

They can not say they dont!

you can get it from your Embassy or Consulat also, this certificate is valid 1 year!

It's 100B at Chaeng Wattana and they only send it by post/EMS which will take 2-3 weeks.