Shutdown is illegal, govt warns

Lite Beer

win by the rules? like passing a sneakily altered Bill in the final Lower House vote at 4.25am while the nation was asleep, unaware of the coming political nightmare ...

I'm afraid Yingluck deserves what she gets.

They are an elected government, they can pass any bills they win the vote on.

And when the Court rightly ruled it illegal, what did they do?

Edited by fish fingers
  • Like 1

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Shutdown is illegal, govt warns"

Why is it against the law to join the protest? Annoying, disruptive, counter-productive, yes, all of these. But illegal? Is it against the law because it is against PT's wishes?

for the purpose of overthrowing the legitimately elected government

if you think its a legitimately elected government then you don't know what true democracy is.

I almost feel sorry for Thaksin - if (the very stupid) Prasit Chaisrisa hadn't let the cat out of the bag about the real purpose of the Amnesty bill then he might have got away with it.

So enlighten we peasants by introducing and instructing us on what "true" democracy is.

I always enjoy hearing 'truth' from the people who know it veritably.

NOT.

• Like 1

Surapong is constantly being caught with his trousers around his ankles.

He is supposed to be head of CAPO 'Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order'

Yet their handling of the Dec 26th ruckus with their 'men in black' on rooftops clearly exacerbating the situation and videos of police willfully vandalizing cars and terrorizing a health worker trapped in her pickup... all under the control of CAPO and their so called role to maintain 'Peace and order'. Not to mention releasing a statement saying the 'men on the roof' were protesters knowing full well that they were police (under THEIR) supposed control.

Then we have daily statements using terms such as 'combined force' and 'strong measures' not to mention 'death penalty'. These are not words of peace and order, these are words of 'INTIMIDATION'.

This CAPO bunch of idiots are almost guaranteed to mess these coming major protests up, this time it won't be a few thousand students, it will be a lot more grave.

Police on the rooftop of a government building during a mass riot determined to prevent candidates registering for the scheduled election is hardly the stuff of conspiracies or of government violence - it's normal and routine procedure practiced by any legitimate government.

Your "intimidation" is the government's inherent right to protect and preserve itself, which all governments have and which is the duty of any duly elected government to all of the nation and its people.

The government is facing a declared insurrection by mobs led in this instance by a incipient fascist who wants to overthrow the legitimately elected government in favor of a Mussolini fashioned "People's Council" which admittedly is intended to deliver the absolute rule of the privileged elites in place of a duly scheduled election.

This is now moving beyond incipient fascism as Thailand enters the time and temper of 1930s Europe.

Does a government have an inherent right to lie, cheat, steal, and chose which laws to ignore and which ones to enforce on its opponents.

PTP like threatening people with legal consequences even though they place themselves above the law. It's part of their intimidation to suppress opposition, criticism or free speech. Look back through last year's post threads - you'll find plenty of examples.

Likening Suthep to Mussolini or Hitler has become fashionable with some posters. It shows a lack of understanding of the current situation and a lack of historical research. What next compare Thaksin to Stalin, Mao or Castro ? The situation is very different in Thailand. A better analogy would be the New York mafia families. A new usurper family is trying to gain total control over the old long time established families. Giving either side here the credence of a political ideology would be flattering. They're simple out for what they can get.

• Like 2

Why is it against the law to join the protest? Annoying, disruptive, counter-productive, yes, all of these. But illegal? Is it against the law because it is against PT's wishes?

if you think its a legitimately elected government then you don't know what true democracy is.

I almost feel sorry for Thaksin - if (the very stupid) Prasit Chaisrisa hadn't let the cat out of the bag about the real purpose of the Amnesty bill then he might have got away with it.

So enlighten we peasants by introducing and instructing us on what "true" democracy is.

NOT.

Democracies usually embrace law and order, justice, freedom of speech and governments that follow procedures, don't constantly lie, make figures up and refuse to answer questions, especially ones about their illegal acts.

Do you think PTP is a good example of a government in a democracy?

• Like 1

Shutdown is illegal, govt warns

"A rule that ceases to be enforced, ceases to be a rule". Legal or illegal..... as if there are laws that are enforced. Wake up and smell the coffee. Suthep: "I can't come turn myself in for warrants regarding insurrection as I am busy leading the insurrection" Gov: "okay, up to you!"

• Like 2

How can any of these government officials be taken seriously when some of them gave moral and financial support to the protesters that shut down Bangkok in 2010?

And how can they be taken seriously when they put 5 family members in top positions to be elected......It is not a government it is a Shinawatra enterprise

I'd rather have 5 members of the same family on the ballot, allowing people to have them "elected" than a non-elected "people's council".

Elections are always better than no elections, no matter who's on the ballot. People can vote "no" if they don't like the choices.

So you would rather see terrible people voted for in charge than good people not voted in charge. Sick in the head. Democracy is good when it works but it needs good people in charge to make it work right. As long as The Shin regime is in charge the country will be going down the toilet at their expense...And I am sure you will retort with the usual 'Suthep is just as bad' mindless ranty. HELL NO !

Yes indeed, the longer it drags out WITH or WITHOUT a Bangkok shutdown sponsored by Suthep, the better for Thaksin... Yellows, multi colored AND the loyal red shirt followers would just destroy, kill, slaughter, rip each other apart IN THE CAPITAL and along with them all innocent people who are just at the wrong place at the wrong time...

and then the real empire will be reborn as S( C)HINAWATRA

Surapong is constantly being caught with his trousers around his ankles.

He is supposed to be head of CAPO 'Centre for the Administration of Peace and Order'

Yet their handling of the Dec 26th ruckus with their 'men in black' on rooftops clearly exacerbating the situation and videos of police willfully vandalizing cars and terrorizing a health worker trapped in her pickup... all under the control of CAPO and their so called role to maintain 'Peace and order'. Not to mention releasing a statement saying the 'men on the roof' were protesters knowing full well that they were police (under THEIR) supposed control.

Then we have daily statements using terms such as 'combined force' and 'strong measures' not to mention 'death penalty'. These are not words of peace and order, these are words of 'INTIMIDATION'.

This CAPO bunch of idiots are almost guaranteed to mess these coming major protests up, this time it won't be a few thousand students, it will be a lot more grave.

Police on the rooftop of a government building during a mass riot determined to prevent candidates registering for the scheduled election is hardly the stuff of conspiracies or of government violence - it's normal and routine procedure practiced by any legitimate government.

Your "intimidation" is the government's inherent right to protect and preserve itself, which all governments have and which is the duty of any duly elected government to all of the nation and its people.

The government is facing a declared insurrection by mobs led in this instance by a incipient fascist who wants to overthrow the legitimately elected government in favor of a Mussolini fashioned "People's Council" which admittedly is intended to deliver the absolute rule of the privileged elites in place of a duly scheduled election.

This is now moving beyond incipient fascism as Thailand enters the time and temper of 1930s Europe.

Does a government have an inherent right to lie, cheat, steal, and chose which laws to ignore and which ones to enforce on its opponents.

PTP like threatening people with legal consequences even though they place themselves above the law. It's part of their intimidation to suppress opposition, criticism or free speech. Look back through last year's post threads - you'll find plenty of examples.

Likening Suthep to Mussolini or Hitler has become fashionable with some posters. It shows a lack of understanding of the current situation and a lack of historical research. What next compare Thaksin to Stalin, Mao or Castro ? The situation is very different in Thailand. A better analogy would be the New York mafia families. A new usurper family is trying to gain total control over the old long time established families. Giving either side here the credence of a political ideology would be flattering. They're simple out for what they can get.

So which is it?

In your first two paragraphs you argue constitutionalism and rule of law as the basis by which to judge both a particular Thai government and of government itself.

In your 3rd graf you argue extra-legal and extra-constitutional bases to explain and to justify not only a given Thai government but also Thailand itself and its ways.

In short your post is contradictory. So I'd guess you want or see both rather than one over the other, which would leave your message where you started with it, i.e., bifurcated.

Yes indeed, the longer it drags out WITH or WITHOUT a Bangkok shutdown sponsored by Suthep, the better for Thaksin... Yellows, multi colored AND the loyal red shirt followers would just destroy, kill, slaughter, rip each other apart IN THE CAPITAL and along with them all innocent people who are just at the wrong place at the wrong time...

It appears you have not worked out that the vast majority of the opponents of Thaksin are, in fact, Thai Chinese ( individuals, companies, leaders of organisations). Hence, I find your repeated use of CHINA as a fear factor very odd indeed. It is the Chinese model (authoritarian govt, economic growth) that the yellow folk want ( the fact that they are incapable of delivering is another story). Do just a TINY bit of reading and things might become clearer to you.

• Like 2

Shutdown is illegal. So the 'shutdown' in 2010 was completely legal and above board, sanctioned by the government, the UN, the US, the Allies and everyone who is someone to someone? Again I reiterate I do not support either side, colour or faction, but this 'kettle calling the pot black' malarkey has gone beyond stupid.

• Like 1

I would assume that it's illegal because Suthep has not said it would be a simple protest. He has called on people to block traffic in the entire city, cut electricity and water supply.

What part of that seems "legal" to you?

Demonstrations are disruptive. Not illegal. That's what seems legal to me. The water supply and electricity threats were directed at specific buildings I think. Yes they are illegal but the protests, despite the fact they will cause a lot of problems are not illegal.

Right, blocking all the traffic in a city is not illegal. How about you try it in London, Paris, New York. Let's see if they believe you that it's completely legal.

It's not uncommon for roads in the UK to be shut for various reasons including demonstrations and particularly in London. I suspect the same is true of Paris but maybe not New York as much as that isn't a capital city and the seat of government. Those places aren't like Thailand though and neither are their police.

NOT.

Democracies usually embrace law and order, justice, freedom of speech and governments that follow procedures, don't constantly lie, make figures up and refuse to answer questions, especially ones about their illegal acts.

Do you think PTP is a good example of a government in a democracy?

Of course not.

The Thai political class are compulsive thieves, liars, cheats and all the rest of it so many here know of so well.

Vote the bastardes out, by all means - let in the next crop of characters who can also say "reform" with a straight face.

Civil insurrection is just inadmissible as a viable course of action - can't have it. And this openly declared civil insurrection is led by a character whose breathtaking corruption brought down the Democrat party government that had polled the last Democrat party victory in a general election up to the present.

If you wanna trust the sob that's your business.

My father taught me that fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice..........

Edited by Publicus
  • Like 2

It appears you have not worked out that the vast majority of the opponents of Thaksin are, in fact, Thai Chinese ( individuals, companies, leaders of organisations). Hence, I find your repeated use of CHINA as a fear factor very odd indeed. It is the Chinese model (authoritarian govt, economic growth) that the yellow folk want ( the fact that they are incapable of delivering is another story). Do just a TINY bit of reading and things might become clearer to you.

If you did a bit more reading you would know that most of the protesters aren't yellow shirts. They were a spent force long ago otherwise they would have been protesting as soon as this government was elected as they would have seen it as another Thaksin proxy. It's pretty certain that they have seen these protests as something they can tag onto to give themselves some attention they've been missing but they aren't the main force behind the protests.

I think the problem is that 'yellow' is easier to type than 'anti government' so many posters take the easy option.

If you did a bit more reading you would know that most of the protesters aren't yellow shirts. They were a spent force long ago otherwise they would have been protesting as soon as this government was elected as they would have seen it as another Thaksin proxy. It's pretty certain that they have seen these protests as something they can tag onto to give themselves some attention they've been missing but they aren't the main force behind the protests.

I think the problem is that 'yellow' is easier to type than 'anti government' so many posters take the easy option.

If you read my post, you will note I did not use the word protester. Yes, I do mean anti-government

• Like 1

Although I don't necessarily agree with the protesters, I respect them for getting off their butts and doing something. I think at the end of the day though, it won't accomplish anything because they don't have a clear/realistic goal(at least from my understanding). As it stand, they're rallying behind a guy who has a different idea for government, as if he's solved something that's been unsolved for thousands of years.

There is an arrest warrant out for a protester who has encouraged, and led people to occupy, shut down and destroy property in government offices. This man is currently walking the streets of Bangkok, and people are handing him cash..... in the street.... cash. Further, he is planning to intensify his shutdowns from govt offices, to the entire capital. And what is going to happen next time a mob in unhappy? I suppose the same type things. I'm sorry, you can respect them, I don't. I refuse to respect mindlessness. I saw them... they were blowing whistles and laughing like it was a party. I think a few of them need to see the inside of a jail cell. I'll tell you what, if a bunch of them got thrown in jail, and they still went out there, I'd respect them too. As of now it is just like a fad. What else is there to do in this armpit of a city anyway?

These protesters have a valid point and it's no good trying to go over same ground. Sometimes you need a nutter to help remove deadwood, elections will not sort anything UNTIL Thais get reform before. The cupboard HAS to be scrubbed no matter what they say about others, the pro government posters are informed and know the score but in denial good luck you lot with that. I am pro government when it is not fiddling in the till, dictating to the law makers and run from another land. that's my stance and always will be.

I am not interested ever about what other tainted politicians have done, from the past.

REFORM, TRASH OUT, ELECTIONS.

Ok, let's just stipulate they do have a valid point. She already called for a new election. That really should end it. Where does your argument go from there? "No, I want her out now, wha wha boo hoo". It is just hard to understand an argument, when one does not exist is the big problem here.

It's not the election that's the problem but the fact that the elected government is focused on and apparently controlled by someone who is a convicted criminal and wasn't elected. Sort that out and any other problems then have elections. Elections now would probably just end up with the same problem.

• Like 1

NOT.

Just a point of view thats all.

PS you shd have a higher opinion of yourself imo

I don't think anyone would object to non-violent demonstrations or marches. But what Suthep's lot have done or will do goes well beyond that. They have committed or threatened to commit several acts that surely are illegal:

(1) Occupied large areas of Bangkok: most notably they have a big camp set up around Democracy Monument, probably as big as the 'Reds' set up elsewhere in Bangkok in 2010. Question: Would city administrations in other countries tolerate that on such a scale?

(2) Advocated the disruption and blocking of national elections. Question: Surely all governments and law officials in any country would find that unacceptable, and probably would call it "insurrection"?

(3) Threatened to cut off power and water supplies to the homes and offices of Yingluck and others in the sitting (caretaker) government. Question: This might be just an idle threat, but if enacted isn't it quite close to terrorism or at least criminal intimidation?

Probably TV members could add to this list.

Conclusion: These quite extraordinarily bold actions and threats from Mr Suthep suggest that he has some very very powerful backing, otherwise he would not even think of doing all this, given previous cases of Thai politicians etc who have been jailed or exiled for milder activities. The timidity of the Police in dealing with Mr Suthep and his associated demonstrators suggests the same thing.

• Like 1

Mackie, I have read the report from human rights watch that clearly states the first shots were fired by soldiers and therefore started the violence, but nowhere did I see any reference to 100,000 job losses as a result of the protests.

win by the rules? like passing a sneakily altered Bill in the final Lower House vote at 4.25am while the nation was asleep, unaware of the coming political nightmare ...

They dropped it!

Mackie, I have read the report from human rights watch that clearly states the first shots were fired by soldiers and therefore started the violence, but nowhere did I see any reference to 100,000 job losses as a result of the protests.

As you say, the HRW report suggests that the first shots were by the government side, but then the red side retaliated with their own shooting, then more from the government/Army side, etc.

see http://www.hrw.org/news/2011/05/02/thailand-investigate-abuses-connected-political-violence

I don't know about job losses, but I'd think that would be quite likely.

They dropped it!

Suthep on the other hand said in December that he would stop the protests once the bill was dropped. And what did he do?

I would assume that it's illegal because Suthep has not said it would be a simple protest. He has called on people to block traffic in the entire city, cut electricity and water supply.

Lies, Lies, and more lies and propaganda from yet another red shirt supporter.

Edited by WhizBang