Singapore Airlines A380 plane in emergency landing

Maestro

6 January 2014 Last updated at 12:41 GMT

Singapore Airlines A380 plane in emergency landing

An Airbus A380 plane operated by Singapore Airlines was forced to make an emergency landing in Azerbaijan due to loss of cabin pressure.
The plane was flying from London to Singapore and had 467 passengers and 27 crew members on board.
The airline said that oxygen masks were deployed and the aircraft landed "uneventfully" at the Baku airport.
It said that none of the passengers or crew was injured and that it was investigating what caused the problem.
bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-01-06

Food for thought....the growing number of incidents involving the A380 series: http://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/a388/airbus-a-380-800

I guess I shouldn't be crying over travel plans that will see me miss out on my first TG 380 flight ever out of CDG. Instead I get a new torture seat on the "refurbished" AB 340

Food for thought....the growing number of incidents involving the A380 series: http://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/a388/airbus-a-380-800

Well it is unlikely to be a shrinking number of incidents is it?

Not quite Dreamliner status yet?

I would have panicked too... of all places to be doing an emergency landing!!!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

My sister was on the flight.

They think there was a leak from one of the doors because it was inspected by a technician before take off.

She said the descent was pretty scary. Baku airport for a day, a few hours in the Hilton and she's now in Singapore waiting for a connection to Sydney.

Not enough info for passengers and sq couldn't provide much inside the airport.

All the fun of the fair.

I'm glad your sister was OK. Scary when a flight goes wrong I bet.

I'm not clear on why this has anything to do with the Dreamliner since it wa an Airbus that failed.

She had a newborn with her. Good pics we got on Facebook. But, because there was no star alliance partner airline in Baku there was little or no assistance on the ground.

The story is that they knew the door had a minor problem but still decided to try and make it.

Silly plan.

I wonder how many of the "complaining passengers" are Singaporean - they generally are an uptight bunch.

Congrats to the Captain & crew for safe handling of this situation. Good Work !

You'll find it was mostly Australian airing their unhappiness . . . so why the anti-Singapore rant? SQ is by far the best airline around . . . and it is to the crew's credit that they actually informed the passengers what was going on

I'm not clear on why this has anything to do with the Dreamliner since it wa an Airbus that failed.

She had a newborn with her. Good pics we got on Facebook. But, because there was no star alliance partner airline in Baku there was little or no assistance on the ground.

The story is that they knew the door had a minor problem but still decided to try and make it.

Silly plan.

I read that they checked the door, found nothing wrong, and then started the flight where the error showed again

Yes, that's what the news report said:

In response to passenger reports that the emergency landing was because of a faulty door, a Singapore Airlines spokesman said that "on the earlier flight into London there was a noise reported from one of the main deck doors".
But he added that "the door was inspected by engineers on the ground in London with no findings, and the aircraft was cleared for continued operation".

Source:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25618122

Hindsight is always 20/20...

If the PIC feels that it's kosher to fly given the advice of Engineering then there's no issue.. If Engineering had said there was an issue and the bird shouldn't fly and he still flew then he would be looking for a new job..

I'll take the opinion of a highly qualified aviation professional over an armchair expert every day of the week...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Uh, There are about twice as many incidents on file for the Airbus A380 - 800 as there are for the Dreamliner. It's just that "certain places" get their jollies by reporting on the Dreamliner and ignoring Airbus problems.

Link

Link

Several of the new Boeing P-8 Poseidon submarine destroyers were just sent to Japan due to China's claims to certain Islands. What does Airbust have? Link

Uh, There are about twice as many incidents on file for the Airbus A380 - 800 as there are for the Dreamliner. It's just that "certain places" get their jollies by reporting on the Dreamliner and ignoring Airbus problems.

Link

Link

Several of the new Boeing P-8 Poseidon submarine destroyers were just sent to Japan due to China's claims to certain Islands. What does Airbust have? Link

Oh good, next time I want to fly over Asia in a wide seat I will consider a Poseidon!

I wonder how many of the "complaining passengers" are Singaporean - they generally are an uptight bunch.

Congrats to the Captain & crew for safe handling of this situation. Good Work !

You'll find it was mostly Australian airing their unhappiness . . . so why the anti-Singapore rant? SQ is by far the best airline around . . . and it is to the crew's credit that they actually informed the passengers what was going on

Silly plan.

I read that they checked the door, found nothing wrong, and then started the flight where the error showed again

Apparently the problem was quite apparent early into the flight, but it got worse until it eventually depressurised.

She will get out of singapore on Friday. She reckons sq did as much as they could. Its just that it was a useless airport.

Link

Link

Let me guess ; you re american and proud of US company...

However EADS and its Airbus 380 busted Boeing on the match versus the dreamliner

Link

Link

However EADS and its Airbus 380 busted Boeing on the match versus the dreamliner

Without US technology and manufacturing there would be no Airbus.

"For the production of its jetliners, Airbus spends 42 percent of its aircraft-related procurement in the U.S. – buying more parts, components, tooling and other material from the United States than any other country. Workers in more than 40 states help build Airbus aircraft, supporting 226,000 high-quality jobs across the U.S. Airbus is the largest export customer for the United States aerospace industry." Link

• Like 1

Link

Link

That list is rubbish, it includes things like medical emergencies and burst tyres.

Probably some Screamliner fan trying to make it look good.

biggrin.png

"For the production of its jetliners, Airbus spends 42 percent of its aircraft-related procurement in the U.S. – buying more parts, components, tooling and other material from the United States than any other country. Workers in more than 40 states help build Airbus aircraft, supporting 226,000 high-quality jobs across the U.S. Airbus is the largest export customer for the United States aerospace industry." Link

Well if we need to play that game who invented the jet engine???

• Like 1

Dr. Hans von Ohain, a German. Link

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

Further to this rather silly game it would appear that the Dreamliner is not even a US made plane as Boeing has outsourced, according to some sources (see below), at least two thirds of its manufacturing overseas, largely to Japan, continuing and accentuating the trend seen with the B767 and B777.

In the world of globalisation few things are what they seem to be....

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/boeing-goes-to-pieces/

And that's why the B787 is having so many issues I presume?...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/01/18/is-outsourcing-to-blame-for-boeings-787-woes/

Dr. Hans von Ohain, a German. Link

Not forgetting Frank Whittle, a Brit, also....

I read a post on an airline forum once, where it was claimed that every Airbus that ever crashed and burned )this was (pre 380), was in perfect flying condition at the time. The claim being that the flight control systems and possibly some pilot error were the prime suspects. There is a lot of discussion about the bleeding edge of aircraft technology vis-a-vis aircraft loss, almost all of it about EADS

Edited by DrDweeb