Metro bank to charge for overseas use.

If a few hundred thousand voted with their feet and closed the accounts along with a complaint, they may think again. With 180 Baht atm charge here, plus Metro charge that rises to almos a 6% charge on 100. Considering the highest interest rate in the UK is below 3% even for a lock in of 5 years, peoples savings will be eroded, or effectivly the gain in XE the past few months will be wiped out.

If a few hundred thousand voted with their feet and closed the accounts along with a complaint, they may think again. With 180 Baht atm charge here, plus Metro charge that rises to almos a 6% charge on 100. Considering the highest interest rate in the UK is below 3% even for a lock in of 5 years, peoples savings will be eroded, or effectivly the gain in XE the past few months will be wiped out.

You are perfectly entitled to use the Halifax in future.

I'm sure the bank needs to implement this fee to make ends meet....or maybe just to increase profits. I'm guessing it's the latter.

The bank is not a charity for your convenience.

No they are not ,but i opened an account with them because they were free to withdraw money in Thailand ,in march when this finishes ,so will my account with them , they are certainly not a charity ,but neither am i ,as i get no interest on my money in their current account.

I'm sure the bank needs to implement this fee to make ends meet....or maybe just to increase profits. I'm guessing it's the latter.

As far as I know Metro Bank has never made a profit.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/34edd018-b330-11e2-b5a5-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ppAi8Gf9

I opened my accounts with them purely to get the weighting-free debit card (which in fact I rarely use) and without that card I have no reason to keep my accounts open, so I probably wont.

The bank is not a charity for your convenience.

No they are not ,but i opened an account with them because they were free to withdraw money in Thailand ,in march when this finishes ,so will my account with them , they are certainly not a charity ,but neither am i ,as i get no interest on my money in their current account.

That's OK. My main incentive for opening an account with them was the safe deposit facility. The extended opening hours also helps. And I do like to watch that amazing coin machine crunch its way through buckets of change.